Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

Ooh, ooh boy.

Remember seeing those cutscene floats in the hub at one point? Finally found out what the deal with them is.

After a certain point (I think somewhere on level 2), the floats start to periodically appear, and they contain carnival challenges. This is the only way you can get the outfit pieces for the playable characters.

Also it seems like unlocking guests isn't as random as it seems; if you don't get them to appear on level 1, they're pretty much guaranteed to show up on level 2. 

So this has been happening-

You should scroll down that tweet, the banter is hilarious!

I am not getting to grips with the football or table tennis. The latter is weird because table tennis is usually a sport I excel at in the Mario and Sonic series. 

Edit edit (even though it's above): According to this Shadow hates being seen with Sonic. That's a new one, isn't it?

Edit: I remember when I said they seemed to put Espio as the 11th character just so he could be next to Vector who got switched to 10th (from the podium shot in the trailer), and I was told that might have been a co-incidence and we don't know where Espio will be.

They were so desperate to have them together they pushed down the 10th character's flag to the bottom row of the flag collectible screen.

2 hours ago, Dantemustdie00 said:

Any new remixes? I don't play these games, but the one thing I do look out for is music.

Yes! Yes there are 

• Thumbs Up 2

Thinking about it, I think Espio not really acting as a rival was kinda planned.

-His whole initial thing is just about honing his skills instead of going for medals or glory.

-His post semi-final dialogue consists of advising you on triple jump techniques.

-His challenge consists of him challenging you as he views you as the master of the event, and he's only doing it to test his skills.

-His "rival" theme is Generations' Balloon Park remix. In case you don't remember, that wasn't a VS theme in that game (his VS theme was the Sonic Battle Emerald Coast remix), that was a friend assist mission theme. 

-When he loses, he notes that he lost but doesn't really care at all. He's more excited about finding the passion and power of you and the event.

Basically, even Toad has more of a rival streak. 

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Yes! Yes there are 

That doesn't sound like a remix, it just sounds like the original, but with instrumentals only. 

4 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Yes! Yes there are 

Omg that Reach for the Stars Remix is soooooo Goood!

14 minutes ago, SpongicX said:

That doesn't sound like a remix, it just sounds like the original, but with instrumentals only. 

Yeah just one song out of the playlist. 

So, the Wii U version is out? Can you play characters in anything or are they restricted? I can't remember if that was confirmed or speculated.

Veterans in anything, new ones are restricted.

Not that you'll notice, most of the bulk is done by Miis. 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Veterans in anything, new ones are restricted.

Not that you'll notice, most of the bulk is done by Miis. 

Well, that sucks. Don't know what you mean by the latter statement, though.

I think she meant most of the gameplay shown online uses their Miis instead of the newcomers 

I mean that the main mode of the game and the one that engages the most time (tournament mode) is for Miis only. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

I mean that the main mode of the game and the one that engages the most time (tournament mode) is for Miis only. 

Oh. That's dumb. But I'd probably just play any game on it's own.

So here's my scribbles on the progression of unlockables in the game.

-Out of the gate, only single match mode is available.

-Get five match seals in single match mode to unlock tournament mode.

-Get seven medals to unlock Heroes Showdown. I'd recommend playing that mode unless you can handle hard AI early on.

-50 coins/rings held unlocks the Rio Prize stand.

-Get twenty medals to unlock the Carnival Challenge. The prizes for the challenges are the costume pieces for the playable characters.

-250 coins on hand unlocks the Mario Prize stand.

-250 rings on hand unlocks the Sonic Prize stand.

-Get twenty five medals to unlock the Amiibo leagues (yeah, you can't use the Amiibo off the bat.

-Unlockable characters actually have specific conditions to unlock them, as they'll appear in a tournament of their event at either level 1 or level 2;

Level 1: Diddy, Rosalina, Jet, Wave, Zavok, Zazz, Rouge.

Level 2: Espio, Sticks, Larry, Wendy, Toad, Nabbit, Dry Bowser.

-In level 2, playable characters can appear to compete in a tournament. Nothing special happens, but it's the only way to get the veteran's flags. The veterans are not bound by event; One guy got Amy in 4x100m, I got her in BMX.

Misc points:

-Medal requirements apply for any grade medal. You don't need gold to progress. One of my level 1 medals (Duel Football) is still the equivalent of bronze.

-I think you need to win gold for the guest characters to challenge you afterwards, but otherwise gold just acts as a way to impress Lakitu into giving you rewards.

-If you lose a guest challenge, you don't need to play the entire tournament again, it'll be its own option in past tournaments.

-For the sake of the Carnival Challenge, the characters are split into good and evil sides. This is how it ends up and who to expect on each float.

Mario:

Mario Float (Good) - Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Toad, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Diddy Kong, Rosalina

Bowser Float (Bad) - Bowser, Bowser Jr, Wario, Waluigi, Larry, Wendy, Dry Bowser, Nabbit.

Sonic

Sonic Float (Good) - Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles, Silver, Blaze, Vector, Espio, Sticks.

Eggman Float (Bad) - Eggman, Metal Sonic, Shadow, Rouge, Jet, Wave, Zavok, Zazz.

- This results in a couple of funny facts; The Mario side got three heroes and four baddies as guests, while Sonic got five baddies and just two heroes! The heroes and baddies are also gotten on different levels on Sonic's side (level 1 for the baddies, level 2 for the heroes) while the Mario side mixes it up.

Maybe this influenced who got in the roster on the Wii U version, while the 3DS version had no such mode so it was allowed to go bonkers.

• Thumbs Up 1

So, for those who've played it, what are your thoughts on the Wii U version? I think it makes the 3ds version look terrible and boring in comparison. I'm having a lot of fun with this new entry. I like how most of it's events have less frustrating controls, and I'm glad they got rid of some of the events that were just filler with no fun replay value, like pole vaulting, and river rafting.

The inclusion of more characters for each event is great, although I wish the guest characters were actual inclusions, it's so wasteful to have them featured in one event. For instance, I want to control Sticks in boxing, Diddy in Equestrian, Espio in Duel Rugby Seven, and Rouge in volleyball, but I can't due to the stupid limitations. Out of all the events, why is Sticks only limited to archery? No matter who you're playing as in that event, it never feels like you're really controlling those characters, which is a shame.

I'm kind of glad this one has fewer events than in previous entries, because like I said, a bunch of them were boring fillers, but this one scrapped a lot, and focused more on gameplay improvements and visuals. Speaking of which, the graphics in this game are gorgeous. My only complaint is that Nintendo did not do a very good job with the facial expressions on the Mario characters. For instance, just play as any of the Mario characters Rythmic Clubs event, and notice how blank their stares are, which comes off as a bit creepy and uncanny. It makes them look brain dead. Now play that event as any Sonic character, and notice how their eyes actually move around with more focus. When Amy throws a club in the air, you'll actually see her eyes following it's direction, where the Mario characters just stare straight, which looks creepy.

Overall, it's a great game worth the delay, I regret buying the 3ds version after playing this superior version. 

Any DLC  and future update ideas you guys would want to see? Here is a list of ideas I'd love to see.

Guest Characters available in all events - Even if we'd have to wait a year from now for Nintendo and Sega to work on such an update, I would be fine with that. Don't let these characters go to waste. I'd also add a few extra characters that weren't in the Wii U version, like Omega, Storm, Big, Birdo, Dixie Kong, and King K. Rool

returning events - most of the annoying filler events were removed, but not all previous events were terrible. Some I'd love to see return are shooting, trampoline, hurdles, and fencing

Dream Events - We need more than just 3 Duel events. Let's get some Dream Events, like Dream Boxing, Dream Triple Jump, Dream 4x100M relay, Dream Swimming, and Dream Ping Pong.

More Rythymic Clubs tracks - Let's get more music tracks, like Puzzle Plank Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy 2, Windy Valley from Sonic Lost World, Ghost House from Super Mario 3D World, His World instrumental from Sonic 06, and more.

and lastly, Event varients and alternate layouts - just to mix things up, let's get some Mario & Sonic variants for each event. For instance, make beach volleyball have a variant of Isle Delfino from Super Mario Sunshine, and Emerald Coast from Sonic Adventure. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Here's a little more unlockable info. From someone who reached this point, I haven't but I'm close.

-The ending is an anti-climax to be sure. You complete all the level 3 tournaments, you get some stamps, a hat and a costume, then blue Toad is like "You did them all, yay" and then it cuts straight to credits, with you Mii standing still on a background while the credits go up. 

-There is post-game content. After this, you unlock max level tournaments, and the use of the Mario and Sonic characters in tournament mode.

• Thumbs Up 1

Really digging the song that plays during Carnival Challenges

Spoiler

Found an English translation

Spoiler

Also quick question is this the first original vocal Sonic theme since Colors :wacko:

PS Somebody on Miiverse discovered that Rouge does have a special animation. 

It's with Blaze.

4 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

It's with Blaze.

I wonder why she doesn't have one with Shadow or Knuckles or even Amy but one with somebody she never met, they only shared group scenes in Generations, unless the devs read Treasure Team Tango (definitely not). This pairing is also in the intro for some reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's with Blaze.

I wonder why she doesn't have one with Shadow or Knuckles or even Amy but one with somebody she never met, they only shared group scenes in Generations, unless the devs read Treasure Team Tango (definitely not). This pairing is also in the intro for some reason.

Two words my friend: fanservice. No, that's actually one word.