Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

I love how Rouge made it on the cover! It's about time we get to see her some more! I hope she's not limited to Golf in this version (the trailer showed her in volleyball, so it could mean all characters can do all events!)

Heck yeah! Tails is on a horse! Love the cover! Too bad I can't get it :( I mean, I might pick up the 3DS game some time in the future though.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Oh MOTHERFUCKER!!! Of course they would do this! "Oh yeah, we'll finally make Cream playable; in the shitty version of this game! Here, have some more fucking Sticks and Zazz!" Fuck you SEGA!!! Well, that sure as hell is disappointing news. I was honestly really looking forward to this game. But I guess some things are just too good to be true -_-

After watching it again, I realized this was only part of the opening and there is a third, empty step on the podium where all the characters are standing, so there definitely is a chance the others will be there in the next trailer. : )

With playable Toad and Boom Boom, though, there may be some roster changes on the Sonic side as well, so we're gonna see who will be replaced. Unless there are going to be even more than 40 characters, which is possible given how much space is left on the podium and as there are probably more events than in the 3DS version, which would mean one extra character per extra event.

1 hour ago, SuperAj3 said:

I love how Rouge made it on the cover! It's about time we get to see her some more! I hope she's not limited to Golf in this version (the trailer showed her in volleyball, so it could mean all characters can do all events!)

The thing is, Golf seems not to be in the Wii U version and she was seen in Volleyball in the first trailer as well, not to mention the box art. Other than her and Diddy Kong (who's in a Wii U exclusive event here), all the extra characters are seen in the exact same event as in the 3DS version, so I fear the roster restrictions will be a given. Seems wrong to include them on the box art when they're barely playable, though.

I really don't think that the developers would be so inept to restrict characters like that in the console version,  especially since that's never been the case before. 

It's kinda disappointing for Wii U owners. I know it's a bit early to say this but it looks like there are less characters here and the newcomers are limited to 1 event again, the only improvement here is that the veterans are playable wherever you want. Fans asked "please make the rivals playable" and the devs literally did that, rivals are programmed for 1 event, and now they can be unlocked via single player mode for that event.

Also, I think I see how they decided the roster for this version:

Rouge

Sticks

Wave

Jet

Zazz

Zavok

They are all unlockable rivals on 3DS, along with Nega for Sonic side, there is 1 rival for each event, all the veterans are starters and freely playable on Wii U so I guess they cut the new characters who were starters on 3DS (Cream, Omega, Ludwig, Birdo, Dry Bones), Nega and Espio (starter) were both in Long Jump so I guess they switched them here and Espio became the unlockable rival since Nega is just an Eggman skin. Also, techinically Rouge replaced Cream since she is playable on Beach Volley on 3DS, Golf is not on Wii U so they moved her to Cream's spot.

It's strange to have Toad and Boom Boom as Wii U esclusive but I'm really glad about Toad's inclusion. Still, I didn't expect the new characters to be available in every event, to be fair I just can't see Toad doing Boxing or Nabbit playing Volleyball with one hand, but if they are really limited to only one minigame... that's just lazy.

3 hours ago, LukA8 said:

After watching it again, I realized this was only part of the opening and there is a third, empty step on the podium where all the characters are standing, so there definitely is a chance the others will be there in the next trailer. : )

Hehe, yeah, someone on YouTube had told me that this wasn't the complete opening, pointing out to me that they said "part of" in the Nintendo Direct. The opening was also unusually short, being a minute and twenty-seven seconds, while the openings for the earlier games were at least over two minutes. Knowing that there is a third step on the podium entirely empty and could be where the missing characters will be placed is even more reassuring. Though that begs the question of how they're going to include the missing characters into the opening podium in time... Even if they're using in-game graphics (at least, it appears they're using in-game graphics), that's still some hard work of animation that has to be done by June.

I must say, it would be incredibly odd if Golf isn't in the Wii U version of this game. I mean, the Wii U is a powerful enough console to handle all the open area required by a golf course and such.

Either way, I'm hoping that the characters who are playable in the 3DS version (Cream, Omega, Eggman Nega, Dry Bowser, Dry Bones, and Birdo) will be playable in the Wii U version (they don't really have any reason to cut these characters from this version and they really shouldn't unless they wan to piss people off) and that the new characters can at least play in most of the events. Like, I wouldn't mind being unable to play as Cream in Boxing (as hilarious as that would be) but I would definitely mind if I can only play as her in one stinking event instead of ten or even five.

3 hours ago, Detective Chameleon said:

Also, I think I see how they decided the roster for this version:

Rouge

Sticks

Wave

Jet

Zazz

Zavok

And Espio, who's seen in the starting pan shot of the opening ceremony. 

13 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

And Espio, who's seen in the starting pan shot of the opening ceremony. 

I know, but he's not an unlockable rival on 3DS, he is the exception. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

You said he became the unlockable here based on not being present in the trailer like those you listed, but he is there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

somehow, Sticks being a good archer just fits extremely well

"when they come for me I'll be hunting to survive in the woods while you're all being controlled like sheep"

• Thumbs Up 8

5 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

You said he became the unlockable here based on not being present in the trailer like those you listed, but he is there. 

I did see him in the trailer, I think that all the newcomers are basically rivals who get unlocked for that event. It seems the starter newcomers on 3DS (bar Espio) got cut here so it may confirm this theory.

Rouge and Jet are playable in one event each?

I don't care about this game anymore

That's not been confirmed, they've not said how it works in the Wii U version. 

Also what's the source for those hi-res renders?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Also what's the source for those hi-res renders?

GoNintendo, assets from the Nintendo Direct.

Thank you.

Just looked; there's also the British cover for the game there, it's exactly the same as the NA version bar the Pegi logo. 

On 3/3/2016 at 11:22 PM, True Detective Soni said:

CcqOr84WAAAr1F6.jpg:large

And it's coming in the 24th of June if I recall, right?

The position of Mario's eyes makes it looks like he's staring at Sonic's forehead rather than Sonic himself.

Is he thinking about shoving the football in his hands into Sonic's cranium? :v

• Thumbs Up 5

It's  just that there has been no indication that the new characters are competing in more events, I keep seeing Rosalina in rhythmic clubs, Rouge in beach volley, Diddy in rugby, Jet in football, Nabbit in 100m, Sticks in archery. Even in the announcement trailer last year, and now the wii u cover hints at this too.

Man, seeing Rosalina's bar legs and feet for the first time, never thought the day could come.

Nintendo really wants to show the princesses more attractive side in these Olympic games. Too bad Wave and Sticks didn't get any sports wear, I could kinda understand Rouge, through I don't get why not use her Riders gear.

10 hours ago, Doctor MK said:

Not entirely sure why there's artwork of the girls in their winter sports gear, but eh, whatever.

In the London Olympics, the girls wore their winter Olympic gear during the equestrian event. I don't know why though, but they did. 

Just now, SpongicX said:

In the London Olympics, the girls wore their winter Olympic gear during the equestrian event. I don't know why though, but they did. 

Ah, I suppose that makes (some amount of) sense then! Thanks for clearing that up.

Does someone here have access to the Nintendo press website (or wherever they released all that artwork from the Direct) and could check if these renders are available without the background/in png format? The GoNintendo article mentions they had to convert the files because they were so huge, and some seem kind of flawed as a result.

I know many of the renders are reused, but some (like the ones for Jet, Zazz and Vector) have never been released before and were only available as very small images, so I'd love having them.

CcqOr84WAAAr1F6.jpg:large

And it's coming in the 24th of June if I recall, right?

The position of Mario's eyes makes it looks like he's staring at Sonic's forehead rather than Sonic himself.

Is he thinking about shoving the football in his hands into Sonic's cranium? :v

STRANGE ISN'T IT?

That intro was a big reminder of how I dislike Sonic's middle mouth. Ugh, it's not natural like Amy's. And Metal Sonic riding a bicycle is still surreal for me.

They added boxing too? Damnit. All I would need now is confirmation on the console version finally having a story-mode and controls that weren't motion control based (impossible) and I'd be all set to get it. I mean, my bitterness towards the fact that Charmy isn't there hasn't gone down a bit (matter of fact it's only gotten worse the more I actually think about how little sense it makes) but people do crazy things when they're desperate to see Omega do stuff too. 

Well, Charmy has not been seen as a referee yet in the Wii U version, and with Toad and Boom Boom being Wii U exclusives, the Sonic side is gonna get at least two more newcomers as well, so characters like Charmy, Big and Storm now have a better chance than ever before. You can't really tell though, as with some of their unpredictable choices, we may end up getting Egg Pawn or more Deadly Six.

By the way, Dry Bowser's artwork was included with the Nintendo Direct and as many probably already know, his flag was found in the intro as well. With so much room on the podium left, we'll probably get at least 44 characters (well, 20 playable and 24 """playable""").