Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

28 minutes ago, Forte-Metallix said:

Do you realize how many hoops Nintendo and Sega would have to jump through to incorporate Sonic characters from other continuities? And that's not even bringing up other issues like Sega of Japan caring very little for Archie, the pointlessness of bringing in characters from other Nintendo properties- much less Mega Man- for a game that's supposed to be focused on Mario and Sonic, and Sega not wanting anything to do with Penders's characters.

This is only a dreamy idea. Realistically, I'd just remove the Zeti and replace them with Charmy and Storm. And I'd write the plot better.

Ghah, I accidently completed a day without unlocking the Rival character.
Do any of you guys know you have a chance to unlock the rivals again after you missed out on them, or do I have to start the storymode from scratch again?

On 4/9/2016 at 9:45 PM, The Very First Miru to Me said:

This is only a dreamy idea. Realistically, I'd just remove the Zeti and replace them with Charmy and Storm. And I'd write the plot better.

If it were me, I'd probably keep Zavok and just get rid of Zazz. I don't have a problem with the Zeti being represented but there's no reason for there to be to of them. Then again, it probably would look a lot cleaner to have the entire Babylon Rogues instead of just Jet and Wave. It goes without saying that I'd have replaced Zazz with Charmy.

9 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Ghah, I accidently completed a day without unlocking the Rival character.
Do any of you guys know you have a chance to unlock the rivals again after you missed out on them, or do I have to start the storymode from scratch again?

You have to start over again...BUT once you complete the individual story mode once, all the gyms you did and prelims and finals remain completed, so you can skip them and get back to where you were in five minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe I'll get the game one day. Certainly not now because I bought the last one at the Sochi Winter Olympics for full price and to date I've only played it... twice. 

That and Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric made me realize that I really need to chill out when it comes to grabbing anything Sonic as soon as I can. 

I don't really like any of the ones that take place during the Winter Olympics anyway. Plus, if this one has boxing I'll need to get it eventually because that's the thing I've always wanted on the console version. Now I can knock the fuck out of my favorite characters (which is something I specifically want to do to my favorite characters and not the ones I hate which is weird.) 

I was deprived of a chance to have Cream knock the fuck out of Charmy and then have Charmy knock the fuck out of Espio. And THEN have Vector knock the fuck out of Charmy again. I'll never forgive them for this.

People are getting sick of Mario and Sonic crossovers?

God does still answer. lol

(Sings about 90's rivalry superiority)

...But if I may be honest, I do still have a bit of a soft spot for the series nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Chris Knopps said:

(

But odd getting so giddy, joke or not,  over the equivalent of water being wet. 

Well yeah,  of course there's always going to be someone. Although you kinda neglected to verify that its specifically the Olympic games that some are tired of. 

Heck,  quite a few are sick of them for  not even being proper platforming crossovers and just party games. 

3 hours ago, IniMeenieMiney-Jo-Vahexeon said:

But odd getting so giddy, joke or not,  over the equivalent of water being wet. 

Well yeah,  of course there's always going to be someone. Although you kinda neglected to verify that its specifically the Olympic games that some are tired of. 

Heck,  quite a few are sick of them for  not even being proper platforming crossovers and just party games. 

Ehhh...

Again, although I still have a soft spot for the Olympic titles, that's more than enough crossing over with Mario for me, and is as close to Mario as Sonic should ever get. We've also had the Yoshi's Island DLC for Lost World and that had Sonic tackling Mario enemies, using pipes, leading eggs, etc so that demand has been fulfilled and can now, hopefully, be laid to rest for another... Oh... 25 years.

(Sings about 90's rivalry superiority)

...But if I may be honest, I do still have a bit of a soft spot for the series nonetheless.

Nobody is sick of the concept of a crossover get that 90's console war stuff out of here. People are just getting sick of the olympics games since it's over stayed its welcome and from my understanding the general reception of this game is "meh" more than anything else.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

Nobody is sick of the concept of a crossover get that 90's console war stuff out of here. People are just getting sick of the olympics games since it's over stayed its welcome and from my understanding the general reception of this game is "meh" more than anything else.

Being honest the whole 90's war reference was more a joke than actual seriousness.

I do believe however that its time to simply focus 100% on Sonic's identity rather than further bonding him with the Nintendo atmosphere. I'd love me another game in the same spirit of S3&K and CD, sprinkled with a dash of Unleashed.

2 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Ehhh...

Again, although I still have a soft spot for the Olympic titles, that's more than enough crossing over with Mario for me, and is as close to Mario as Sonic should ever get. We've also had the Yoshi's Island DLC for Lost World and that had Sonic tackling Mario enemies, using pipes, leading eggs, etc so that demand has been fulfilled and can now, hopefully, be laid to rest for another... Oh... 25 years.

By all means,  avoid any crossovers full of potential at your own whim. 

Just don't be surprised if such crossoversc come to be and act as if they're completely un-warranted, regardless of how you yourself feel about Sonic interacting with Nintendo.

3 hours ago, IniMeenieMiney-Jo-Vahexeon said:

By all means,  avoid any crossovers full of potential at your own whim. 

Just don't be surprised if such crossoversc come to be and act as if they're completely un-warranted, regardless of how you yourself feel about Sonic interacting with Nintendo.

I... Wouldn't be surprised in the least. I'm ONE person, my desires won't affect the franchise whatsoever.

15 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

Being honest the whole 90's war reference was more a joke than actual seriousness.

I do believe however that its time to simply focus 100% on Sonic's identity rather than further bonding him with the Nintendo atmosphere. I'd love me another game in the same spirit of S3&K and CD, sprinkled with a dash of Unleashed.

Given your track record kinda hard to tell if you were being serious.  

17 minutes ago, Chris Knopps said:

I don't thing harmless crossovers are really going to hurt his identity considering these are pretty much cash ins and the fact that it's being done by a separate team rather than Sonic Team.

• Thumbs Up 3

Given your track record kinda hard to tell if you were being serious.  

I don't thing harmless crossovers are really going to hurt his identity considering these are pretty much cash ins and the fact that it's being done by a separate team rather than Sonic Team.

A harmless crossover for Sonic is putting him in a franchise akin to Ratchet and Clank as that has more of what you'd expect out of Sonic, it has the atmosphere and depth most would normally demand out of the franchise.

Crossing over into a Mario game just doesn't fit. The atmosphere is all wrong for Sonic and if nothing else the Yoshi Island stage further proves this point. While it's an amusing thing to toy with in the Olympic titles, in an actual full blown game it just wouldn't work right, you'd have to vastly warp the atmosphere/tone of Mario's world and mutilate its design to have more of a Sonic appeal for it to be able to make the smallest amount of sense.

If you want a crossover, form an expectation for one that makes sense as mentioned.

I'm all for stuff like the Olympic series, maybe possible DLC in a future Mario Kart, but beyond that it's just not realistic to me to think Sonic being in Mario's world could ever properly be executed, they're just too vastly different.

A harmless crossover for Sonic is putting him in a franchise akin to Ratchet and Clank as that has more of what you'd expect out of Sonic, it has the atmosphere and depth most would normally demand out of the franchise.

I am honestly having a hard time responding to this because you clearly didn't get what I was saying by harmless. Mario and Sonic at the damn olympic games with all their friends isn't going to affect either franchises. It's like having a Ratchet and Sonic game where they compete in the Fifa World cup or where Sonic and other SEGA mascots were playing tennis and kart racing it's not hurting anybody . This series was just made because SEGA had the olympics license and just slapped Mario and Sonic in it so it can sell. 

Crossing over into a Mario game just doesn't fit. The atmosphere is all wrong for Sonic and if nothing else the Yoshi Island stage further proves this point. While it's an amusing thing to toy with in the Olympic titles, in an actual full blown game it just wouldn't work right, you'd have to vastly warp the atmosphere/tone of Mario's world and mutilate its design to have more of a Sonic appeal for it to be able to make the smallest amount of sense.

And I'm going to disagree with you saying that a proper crossover between the two can work it's just Nintendo and SEGA are too stubborn to make it happen. You say that the Yoshi's island stage doesn't fit but I can assure you that a lot people want to see the type of stuff to be done in a proper crossover between the two. And even if they are drastically different it's not impossible. We have games like the Capcom Vs. series, we have a pokemon crossover game with Nobunga's ambition, we have a fire emblem game that crossover with Shin Megami tensei, we have game where Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright games which are drastically different(especially in setting), fuck we have a franchise that consist of Square Enix characters meeting Disney characters so please don't use the setting are too different.

I am honestly having a hard time responding to this because you clearly didn't get what I was saying by harmless. Mario and Sonic at the damn olympic games with all their friends isn't going to affect either franchises. It's like having a Ratchet and Sonic game where they compete in the Fifa World cup or where Sonic and other SEGA mascots were playing tennis and kart racing it's not hurting anybody . This series was just made because SEGA had the olympics license and just slapped Mario and Sonic in it so it can sell. 

And I'm going to disagree with you saying that a proper crossover between the two can work it's just Nintendo and SEGA are too stubborn to make it happen. You say that the Yoshi's island stage doesn't fit but I can assure you that a lot people want to see the type of stuff to be done in a proper crossover between the two. And even if they are drastically different it's not impossible. We have games like the Capcom Vs. series, we have a pokemon crossover game with Nobunga's ambition, we have a fire emblem game that crossover with Shin Megami tensei, we have game where Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright games which are drastically different(especially in setting), fuck we have a franchise that consist of Square Enix characters meeting Disney characters so please don't use the setting are too different.

Considering you've Mario in your avatar, we'll have to agree to disagree on this one and leave it be.

Although on my end I feel the atmosphere is generally completely wrong for Sonic, if it does ever happen, I'll be happy for you and those many fans who want it to happen, but don't expect such a game to do any favors for Sonic in the long run or Mario.

This is the first time I've heard someone actually have to dispute so friviously over what a "harmless crossover" is, oy vey. 

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Heh, I WANT my crossovers to have extreme diffrences. Watching the heroes stumble around in fish-out-of-water settings is half the fun.

I WANT Mario awkwardly running trough loops and stare dumbfounded at cities being destroyed by giant airships and aliens.
I WANT Sonic in a goofy frog outfit and in weird abstract Mario stages (Even though the comedic effect has already been diminished by Sonic Lost World and such.)

The only problem I have with a Mario and Sonic Crossover is that Sonic is already being half mutated into Mario latey, so they better focus on all the distinctive NON-Mario elements for Sonic in the cross-over, otherwise it feels pointless.

That said, a Sonic and Ratchet Cross over sounds nice too, closest we'll get to a Jazz Jackrabbit 3d.

Love you Roger.

Kudos on your videos as well, you've got a good brain in that head.

• Thumbs Up 3

So, is it likely the Wii U version of Mario & Sonic Rio 2016 will have all the characters? Because I checked Super Mario Wiki, where it implies that the Wii U version will have less.

We don't know yet. The trailer only showed (clearly) 17 per side instead of 20, but we know next to nothing about the actual content. 

We DID get Famitsu scans of the Wii U version last Wednesday or something like that though. No translation as of yet though (at least not to my knowledge)

They're a bit big, so I'll just post sausage links if that's OK.

http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/Scans---4/13/16/scan_5.jpg

http://nintendoeverything.com/wp-content/uploads/Scans---4/13/16/scan_6.jpg

Okay, so the images don't provide much we don't already know (especially the 3DS page since it's already out). It's just an in-depth look at the Rugby game. But can I just make some comments on the throw-in screens?

yZgcAKK.png

So clearly the bottom screen is what you see when you go to throw in, and the top is a few seconds after. Observations; 

1. Flags in this game seem to change based on the characters present. We can see a flag of Diddy Kong while he hasn't been physically seen, but he has to be there otherwise there'd be three players on one side and two on the other. 

2. Bowser Jr has leapt 20 feet in the air to get that ball. 

3. Bowser better be on guard, because that's a croc that looks ready to murder

4. Nobody else has moved, they're too busy staring at Bowser Jr's performance and Vector bodysurfing the Egg Pawn. The Egg Pawn even has a face that screams "Dude, Boom Boom, this is heavy". 

Edit: "[Diddy Kong] hasn't been physically seen."

*He's literally in the picture I posted*

how does eyes work

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

We don't know yet. The trailer only showed (clearly) 17 per side instead of 20, but we know next to nothing about the actual content. 

Referring to new characters, or both them and the returning?

4 hours ago, BLUzCLUz said:

Referring to new characters, or both them and the returning?

Well the 17 per side covers both, but all the veterans were amongst those numbers. It's just new it's referring to.