Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

50 minutes ago, big_smile said:

It is as 'detailed' as the plots in the other Olympic 3DS games?

Not really, no.

Most days amount to "do this one task, do event stuff until next day", and then it only mildly ramps up on the last couple of days. If you have the ability to skip events (aka after one playthrough), you can probably do the story in ten minutes, if that.

• Thumbs Up 1

^Gotta love Silver and Shadow here.

(even if Silver is cheating to the highest order lol)

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Sega DogTagz said:

^Gotta love Silver and Shadow here.

(even if Silver is cheating to the highest order lol)

Silver didn't try to throw Shadow with his psychic powers by saying "It's no use!" Where's the cyan aura around Shadow's body? Silver isn't cheating. He was only channeling his psychic energy into one powerful punch.

8 hours ago, SilverStarN64 said:

Silver didn't try to throw Shadow with his psychic powers by saying "It's no use!" Where's the cyan aura around Shadow's body? Silver isn't cheating. He was only channeling his psychic energy into one powerful punch.

Looks like a pretty blatant psi push to me. The opposing object only illuminates when Silver uses his powers to hold them in place or higher level manipulation. If He's simply deflecting or pushing, than a shockwave effect is usually all we get.

Silver's punch has no follow through, and his pose ends with his palm facing his enemy rather than his knuckles. Unless Silver is throwing a strike with his palm, that in combination with the psi shockwave means that was more of a push than a punch.

Its not the first time Sonic characters cheat in these events *cough*Tails*cough* and it won't be the last.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Looks like a pretty blatant psi push to me. The opposing object only illuminates when Silver uses his powers to hold them in place or higher level manipulation. If He's simply deflecting or pushing, than a shockwave effect is usually all we get.

Silver's punch has no follow through, and his pose ends with his palm facing his enemy rather than his knuckles. Unless Silver is throwing a strike with his palm, that in combination with the psi shockwave means that was more of a push than a punch.

That's a pretty good analysis. I didn't even think about that. My eyes were probably playing tricks on me earlier. Plus, Silver isn't a martial artist. If one were to take away his psychic powers, he would be totally useless...

7 hours ago, Sega DogTagz said:

Its not the first time Sonic characters cheat in these events *cough*Tails*cough* and it won't be the last.

You do make a fair point. Well, at least Knuckles and Zavok were playing fair.

On 6/10/2016 at 3:59 PM, Detective Reptiles said:

Not really, no.

Reveal hidden contents

Most days amount to "do this one task, do event stuff until next day", and then it only mildly ramps up on the last couple of days. If you have the ability to skip events (aka after one playthrough), you can probably do the story in ten minutes, if that.

Gosh! I found one of the story cut scenes in youtube.

Spoiler

Like you said, all the plot seems to occur in the end. The rest of the time, the characters just seem to be cheering the player on in the mini games. 

How could Sega mess it up so badly? The first Vancover game had a fairly decent story and the London one was okay, but this seems terrible. What happened?!

Geez. How many of those victory animations had characters jump and twirl in the air before landing back onto the podium. There was a point in the video where the Sonic characters were doing nothing but that. When we got to Zavok I even said "Okay good, surely he'll have something different." And he did at first. But then he jumped and twirled in the air and landed on the podium. Oh dear. Zavok...

Anyway, something that also struck me hard watching these videos was that these really are "Crossover" games in the most bare-bones form imaginable. The excitement that entails a crossover between worlds where characters interact with characters from a different series and have to adapt to a new, strange, and surreal setting that plays off the strengths of both series is completely lost here. 

It really is just a party game where you can play as avatars from Sonic and Mario. I imagine a game called "Wii Olympics" or something that usually uses Miis being stolen and modded so that you can just play as Sonic and Mario characters. The only thing I can think of that takes advantage of it being a crossover are the story modes for the hand-held titles (which they didn't bother to do this time sadly) and the Dream Events. 

I basically knew all this already but sometimes something just smacks you across the face so hard that you feel as though it's pushed forth something that's only been lounging at the back of your mind yet unknowingly tearing apart your perception of something.

• Thumbs Up 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPc50YT0Rqg

Footage of all the unlockable Rivals/Guest character showdowns. This time, their rival themes are taken from older games despite some of them already having themes from earlier Mario & Sonic games:

Rouge - Security Hall (Sonic Adventure 2)

Jet - Babylon Garden/Sky Road (Sonic Riders)

Wave - Final Factory (Sonic Free Riders)

Zazz, Zavok - Deadly Six Theme

Espio - Balloon Park Remix (Sonic Generations)

Sticks - No idea

Rivalry jerk tiers;

"You are an ultimate jerk, wanting to take my medal"; Rouge, Jet, Sticks, 

"You must feel so big challenging me because you think you're the best"; Wave, Zazz, Zavok, Dry Bowser, Wendy, Nabbit, Larry

"You seem reasonable, challenging me as an equal"; Rosalina (borderline), Diddy (borderline), Toad

"...Cream's better at being a rival than you"; Espio

Also there's a slight difference between Zazz and Zavok's music; Zazz is the regular version, Zavok is the Sky Road boss version. 

Sticks' theme sounds like an original track for the game, it share the instrumentation with regular Mario and Sonic stuff, bar the drum opening. 

Oh, I see Cream, she's running the Sonic item stall you unlock. The Mario side has a generic Pianta instead. 

Edit: Oh my god, this new menu system is oodles more interactive than any console game prior, it might fix my poor disillusioned heart! Highlights so far;

-Big being more than a walking meme, thereby breaking Aaron's heart.

-Big inviting Donkey Kong for banana splits.

-Vector's idle animations.

-Luigi dance.

-Unlockability up the wazoo.

-Bowser Jr saying sorry for being mean.

-"Waaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

After Bowser, we get to see the others do this event!

This makes my life feel complete.

A couple of little tidbits I've managed to suss;

1. All of the guests are unlockable (but we knew that). How it works is that there's a tournament mode for Miis. There's a random chance that you'll get a guest challenger for the tournament event you're playing (eg if it's BMX, you'll get Wave etc).

2. There are stamps, but it looks like the only characters getting them in this game are Mario and Sonic. 

Man, I really hope this game gets DLC. Specifically DLC that adds in the characters from the 3DS version (I need my Cream and Omega).

But what are the chances of this game getting DLC, let alone letting the characters I want most become playable... -_-

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Kaotic Kanine said:

Man, I really hope this game gets DLC. Specifically DLC that adds in the characters from the 3DS version (I need my Cream and Omega).

But what are the chances of this game getting DLC, let alone letting the characters I want most become playable... -_-

If there was enough demand for it, I could possibly see them adding other characters from the 3DS version.

• Thumbs Up 1

There's more than enough demand for a Mario & Sonic platformer, but we're not getting that, either.

Just now, Forte-Metallix said:

There's more than enough demand for a Mario & Sonic platformer, but we're not getting that, either.

But that would be hard because the two have different gameplay styles and their universes don't mesh well with each other since they don't have much in common. 

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

But that would be hard because the two have different gameplay styles and their universes don't mesh well with each other since they don't have much in common. 

The point of a crossover is to find two universes that are alien to one another and have the characters experience it. Their universes being different is a non-issue because that's entirely the point.

Also, the gameplay styles thing is actually an incredibly funny and ironic excuse the people at SEGA are using here. All that'd have to do is make Sonic run like he normally does through Sonic-like versions of Mario stages and areas. And conversely, all they'd have to do with Mario is have Mario platform through Mario-like versions of Sonic stages and areas. It's incredibly strange that this is the one time that they're not open to having a game with two different playstyles within it because this is quite possibly one of the only examples of it that tons of people actually want to see happen. 

We'll let you play as a Werehog Sonic alongside regular Sonic a mere two years after the most notoriously bad game in the franchise and risk a ton of backlash and ridicule from people who never asked for it but we won't let you play as Mario and Sonic together in a game when people are practically begging for it. 

It almost feels like they're actively searching for the exact thing that's going to make everyone mad and doing it for the sake of living on the edge as risk takers. Well, you've proven that you can survive even the worst of tragedies SEGA. You can stop living on the edge now.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

The point of a crossover is to find two universes that are alien to one another and have the characters experience it. Their universes being different is a non-issue because that's entirely the point.

Also, the gameplay styles thing is actually an incredibly funny and ironic excuse the people at SEGA are using here. All that'd have to do is make Sonic run like he normally does through Sonic-like versions of Mario stages and areas. And conversely, all they'd have to do with Mario is have Mario platform through Mario-like versions of Sonic stages and areas. It's incredibly strange that this is the one time that they're not open to having a game with two different playstyles within it because this is quite possibly one of the only examples of it that tons of people actually want to see happen. 

We'll let you play as a Werehog Sonic alongside regular Sonic a mere two years after the most notoriously bad game in the franchise and risk a ton of backlash and ridicule from people who never asked for it but we won't let you play as Mario and Sonic together in a game when people are practically begging for it. 

It almost feels like they're actively searching for the exact thing that's going to make everyone mad and doing it for the sake of living on the edge as risk takers. Well, you've proven that you can survive even the worst of tragedies SEGA. You can stop living on the edge now.

You know I was joking right? I've been asking for a Mario and Sonic platformer for years and the whole they have different gameplay styles is literally the dumbest excuse ever considering the sonic franchise is notorious for having different characters with drastically different gameplay styles. 

The reception for this one has actually been quite warm (hurr) so far. 

NintenDaan for Nintendo World Report gave it a 7.

Long Knight for Polish site Konsolowe gave it an 8. 

As of yet, I've only seen Europeans with the game early; a German, a French duo, a Netherlander and a Polish. 

Edit: After writing, we can add a Brit onto that list. 

Edit edit: More review scores coming, not so high this time.

The Sixth Axis gave it a 6.

My Nintendo News gave it a 5. 

Trusted Reviews gave it a 7.

Aside from some criticism for guest characters (and more for the lack of online), the main linchpin of the varying scores seems to be the Mii-only tournament mode. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

You know I was joking right? 

Nope. I didn't. Maybe you needed more of a tell. 

13 hours ago, Forte-Metallix said:

DLC is minor, a crossover platformer is significant...it's too much.

• Thumbs Up 1

26 minutes ago, StaticMania said:

DLC is minor, a crossover platformer is significant...it's too much.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Thank you, sir. :)

If Nintendo and SEGA decided to make DLC for this game, all of the newcomers (guest characters) should be playable in every event. That seems like a fair deal to me.

Also, like @Kaotic Kanine said previously, you could add in other characters from the 3DS version into this version as DLC too.

Whoops, I stand corrected on the stamps; You can only get Mario and Sonic on the Rio stand, but the dedicated Sonic/Mario stands do have other character stamps (Only seen Shadow and Silver in videos thus far).

Those desks are also oodles pricier than the Rio stand. 

How things have changed subsequent to Mario and Sonic's first Rio Olympics 2016 trip in 2008. In those days we were simply coming into the Wii's brilliant period, where movement controls were still gleaming and new. This brought about a diversion so stupefying and physically depleting, that when you'd pumped your arms angrily through the 100 meters, you scarcely had the vitality to work out which succession of movements may really dispatch a lance.