Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

Sorry to burden this topic once again with my nonsense but I've found Cream in the main menu for the Wii U version of the game. At least, I think I found Cream :unsure:

"She" is pretty far in the background starting at 0:12, underneath that "Sonic stand" behind the volleyball players. I can see the ears, colors, dress, shoes, and basic shape. But I can't make out the eyes, which are a very distinguishing feature of most Sonic characters (if only because of how huge they can be) and "Cream" isn't moving. At all... :blink: Either that's a statue, a painting, or they haven't finished the model for "Cream" yet.

It looks like a Mii in a Cream costume.

I also noticed the Mii with the Wave head, so it does look like all character costumes come in parts now.

• Thumbs Up 2

6 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

If anyone's curious, we've got showings of the flags for Jet, Espio, Wendy and Toad in the new batch of screenshots, adding to the ones seen for Nabbit, Diddy and Rouge. Wave is much clearer as well, but you can see hers in the 3DS version if you look really carefully on her bike.

Could you provide a link to the images where it shows the flags for Jet, Espio, Wendy, and Diddy?

Jet;

10.jpg

(Overlapping the right-hand Amy flag card formation. On my travels I found out that we'd already seen Jet's flag in a previous screenie batch, it just kinda got obscured by lighting effects)

Espio;

18.jpg

(Two flags and a card formation, you can't miss it)

Wendy;

5.jpg

(Left-centre. It's folded up, but what we do see is exactly the same as her emblem and colours in Mario Kart 8 and Mario and Luigi: Paper Jam. Larry and Roy are likely the same as well even though we've yet to see them)

Diddy;

3.jpg

(Top left and centre. You might be better off looking for the initial gameplay trailer for this as it's really obscured here)

It took a while but I feel like I got all my complaining out of my system. That previous trailer was nice. Glad boxing is finally there. A bit sour about characters being stuck to one event but then again I'm not planning on buying this so it doesn't matter. Also glad that Charmy's all over these events as a ref it seems. I guess there was more room for him with Cream no longer being there. So there's that. 

I'm still not sure why the character restrictions make sense to them but whatever. There's a lot of things I don't get about their decision making these days. I'm sure someone will explain it to me.

1 hour ago, Dr. Chaotix said:

It took a while but I feel like I got all my complaining out of my system. That previous trailer was nice. Glad boxing is finally there. A bit sour about characters being stuck to one event but then again I'm not planning on buying this so it doesn't matter. Also glad that Charmy's all over these events as a ref it seems. I guess there was more room for him with Cream no longer being there. So there's that. 

I'm still not sure why the character restrictions make sense to them but whatever. There's a lot of things I don't get about their decision making these days. I'm sure someone will explain it to me.

Because making 30-40 characters playable in every event would take time and effort, things that were clearly not put into this series. (Minus the remixes)

One thing that bothers me is how Team Mario gets a Wii U-exclusive character (Or two, if Boom-Boom hasn't actually been scrapped), but Team Sonic gets none. I really think Charmy or Big would've been a great addition, even if it's only for one event!

• Thumbs Up 1

The flag emblems for Rouge, Jet and Dry Bowser were already in Sochi. You had to stalk them in their rival battles to see them on their gear, though, so it was nearly impossible to get screenshots. Eggman Nega had one as well. A shame we won't be seeing the ones for Omega or Cream anytime soon, because I do think they exist.

I don't know how I feel about this game completely stepping away from motion controls. It's been a major point of criticism in Sochi how you had to swap between Gamepad and the Wii Remote all the time, but events such as Table Tennis, Archery or Rhythmic Gymnastics are much more fun with motion controls and make you feel more involved. Many people say the events are so much more fleshed out this time, but what I see is a game with a tiny budget and many cuts due to time restrictions. This series obviously was at its' peak at the first Winter Olympics, which is no wonder after the success of the first one. Depending on the success of the Wii U version, this might be the last one, although you never know with the NX coming up.

They even left Boom Boom in the intro although his event (Hammer Throw?, which is still in the Arcade version) must have been removed. Hopefully someone will check out the game's assets once it's released. Who knows what else is in there.

12 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

To be fair, he is basically the single most vicious character to women in the Sonic franchise. Dishing out revenge seems fair.

It's pretty perfect, actually. Everyone knows he never got along with Amy and Rouge, but I once triggered a line in the Team Rose vs Chaotix battle (when playing around with the Memory Editor in Heroes) where Vector said how much he hates fighting with girls, yet here he is again getting the sh*t beaten out of him by Peach and Daisy.

On 14/05/2016 at 9:32 PM, Forte-Metallix said:

Because making 30-40 characters playable in every event would take time and effort, things that were clearly not put into this series. (Minus the remixes)

One thing that bothers me is how Team Mario gets a Wii U-exclusive character (Or two, if Boom-Boom hasn't actually been scrapped), but Team Sonic gets none. I really think Charmy or Big would've been a great addition, even if it's only for one event!

I'm sure we'll be getting two exclusive characters for the Sonic side, they're just probably keeping things hidden for now. I'm still keeping my high hopes for this game, I just hope that there are future updates once the game comes out, or maybe a day one update who knows. At least the original 20 are playable in every event, that's gotta be something right?

On 5/14/2016 at 0:19 PM, Artemis200 said:

I'm sure we'll be getting two exclusive characters for the Sonic side, they're just probably keeping things hidden for now. I'm still keeping my high hopes for this game, I just hope that there are future updates once the game comes out, or maybe a day one update who knows. At least the original 20 are playable in every event, that's gotta be something right?

I don't know, most games from Nintendo now in days don't come in complete surprises anymore, and usually have every character and variety of modes and courses revealed before release. They did it with Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Mario Party 10, Super Mario Maker, Pokken Tournament, and many others. Nintendo even reveals what the hidden characters in games are, usually days before the game's release. 

On 15/05/2016 at 7:14 PM, SpongicX said:

I don't know, most games from Nintendo now in days don't come in complete surprises anymore, and usually have every character and variety of modes and courses revealed before release. They did it with Mario Tennis Ultra Smash, Mario Party 10, Super Mario Maker, Pokken Tournament, and many others. Nintendo even reveals what the hidden characters in games are, usually days before the game's release. 

Then there's still hope. Maybe the day before it's release, we'll get an update announcement for the 3DS and Wii U versions. enabling all characters to be playable im every event  Also, maybe they'll reveal the possible hidden characters right before the release. I just hope that's the case *fingers crossed* All of us should send emails to Sega about this honestly.

Edited by Artemis200

26 minutes ago, Artemis200 said:

Then there's still hope. Maybe the day before it's release, we'll get an update announcement for the 3DS and Wii U versions. enabling all characters to be playable im every event  Also, maybe they'll reveal the possible hidden characters right before the release. I just hope that's the case *fingers crossed* All of us should send emails to Sega about this honestly.

Again, that would take more time and effort than Sonic Team and Nintendo are willing to put into this cheap cash-grabbing series.

These games don't sell because people generally think they're really good; they sell because they have Mario and Sonic in them. The two companies realize this and chug out half-arsed titles every other year to make easy money from loyal fans.

1 hour ago, Artemis200 said:

If there were dlc for the game, I highly doubt the 3ds version would get all characters playable in each event, due to the 3ds' limitations. I could definitely see it working for the Wii U version, if Nintendo and Sega were smart enough to see how much people want it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2016 at 4:34 PM, Artemis200 said:

Are we even certain that the Wii U version will actually even put such a limit in the first place? Or is it just another assumption? That is unless Hero showdown is just some exclusive mode for such. 

A youtuber by the name of NintenDaan uploaded his hands on preview of the game. Game kinda looks interesting for what it and holy crap Archery looks better than it did in the first game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh hey, for those wondering if remixes were in or not (aside from Gymnastics obviously), you can hear a remix of Sonic Advance 3's Route 99 in the BMX event video, and swimming had a NSMB Underwater theme remix. 

24 minutes ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Oh hey, for those wondering if remixes were in or not (aside from Gymnastics obviously), you can hear a remix of Sonic Advance 3's Route 99 in the BMX event video, and swimming had a NSMB Underwater theme remix. 

And you can hear Reach for the Stars and Super Bell Hill in the rhythm events.

On 13/05/2016 at 6:49 PM, Detective Reptiles said:

A new commercial trailer has been uploaded on Nintendo's youtube channel. Boom Boom is on the podium meaning that he will most likely be a separate character compared to the Boom Boom we see in Rugby meaning that there are possible hidden newcomers.

Eh? I never said that? Dunno what's gone wrong with the quoting system there.

Edit: Oh, it was uploaded today. I suppose you might have had a quote saved in your reply box accidentally. And no, Boom Boom is not a hidden character.

But if we do want something new(ish), some guy in Germany either has a preview copy or managed to get the full game way early, because he's got videos showing off stats and victory animations. 

[Rosalina has no stats at all]

[1440p kills my laptop, goddamn]

Also videos of full games of Football and Rugby, although we've known most of the gameplay there before now. 

Edit edit: He added another one.

Team animations. I think they're the same as Sochi for the most part. There's three new ones due to guest characters; Mario and Toad, Donkey and Diddy, and Sonic and Jet. 

11 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

Eh? I never said that? Dunno what's gone wrong with the quoting system there.

Edit: Oh, it was uploaded today. I suppose you might have had a quote saved in your reply box accidentally. And no, Boom Boom is not a hidden character.

But if we do want something new(ish), some guy in Germany either has a preview copy or managed to get the full game way early, because he's got videos showing off stats and victory animations. 

[Rosalina has no stats at all]

[1440p kills my laptop, goddamn]

Also videos of full games of Football and Rugby, although we've known most of the gameplay there before now. 

Edit edit: He added another one.

Team animations. I think they're the same as Sochi for the most part. There's three new ones due to guest characters; Mario and Toad, Donkey and Diddy, and Sonic and Jet. 

I wonder how come they don't get taken down...

Cool though!

• Thumbs Up 1

Quick question: Does the 3DS version have a proper story mode with a plot like the previous 3DS games? I've tried searching on Google and Youtube. But I only see the characters talking about gyms as opposed to plot details. Thanks!

So no one has dumped the game files for Mario and Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games to see which events might have gotten scrapped? Or at least check and see if there are any extra character slots (if there even will be) for DLC? But why did they even bother listing Rosalina's stats in the 3DS version when she was only playable in Rhythmic Hoop? Surely she would be good at other sports like boxing or archery since archery requires skill and from what I remember she had a pretty high skill rate. Why did they bother listing Rouge's full stats in the 3DS version if she was going to be playable in one event only that being Beach Volley? It's dumb and idiotic. oh and Detective Reptiles something was wrong with the quoting system, I never intended to reply to you with that notification comment I apologize for the confusion.

17 hours ago, big_smile said:

Quick question: Does the 3DS version have a proper story mode with a plot like the previous 3DS games? I've tried searching on Google and Youtube. But I only see the characters talking about gyms as opposed to plot details. Thanks!

The event completion is the main goal of the single mode (with gyms helping improve the stats for it, hence the emphasis on them), but there is a plot running alongside that. It's completely optional (it only overlaps the event stuff on one day), and it's small, but it's there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Detective Reptiles said:

The event completion is the main goal of the single mode (with gyms helping improve the stats for it, hence the emphasis on them), but there is a plot running alongside that. It's completely optional (it only overlaps the event stuff on one day), and it's small, but it's there. 

It is as 'detailed' as the plots in the other Olympic 3DS games?