Awoo.

Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games

Carbo

I don't have any confidence what's so ever that the Wii U version is going to have character exclusives.

I know I'm in the minority when it comes to liking that kid but over a decade of nothing would get to anybody eventually. And having this be a super obvious chance for something to happen only for it to be stripped away because we absolutely needed to make sure that a second Zeti got in, and that we created a new Wave model from scratch to throw in there at random, and to make sure Dr. Eggman Nega got his first solo playable appearance in a 3-D Sonic related game ironically before Charmy did somehow. All of that needed to happen. It was crucial to split apart Team Chaotix for that. (Yes, I know Nega was a rival in past games and therefore easier to include. I got that.)

And they have boxing too! That would have been perfect. As much as I like Charmy, I'd pay to pit characters against him so I can punch him out. I've got a thing for humiliating the characters I like apparently. I seriously would have paid for a chance to do that. 

We now have what appears to be the US commercial for the 3DS version:

Anyone else find it strange that the 3ds version is rated E-10+, but the Wii U version is just rated E? If anything, shouldn't the Wii U version be rated E-10+, since it has better graphics, which can give a better depiction of the violence from some of the sports? I just don't get it, I don't mind that one of them is rated E-10+, but I'm just confused over why the 3ds version is the only one for ages 10 and up, but not the HD Wii U version?

• Thumbs Up 1

Maybe some of the translated dialogue in the story mode bumped up the rating. 

21 hours ago, SpongicX said:

Anyone else find it strange that the 3ds version is rated E-10+, but the Wii U version is just rated E? If anything, shouldn't the Wii U version be rated E-10+, since it has better graphics, which can give a better depiction of the violence from some of the sports? I just don't get it, I don't mind that one of them is rated E-10+, but I'm just confused over why the 3ds version is the only one for ages 10 and up, but not the HD Wii U version?

The 3DS version has a scene where Roy Koopa and Zazz get into a fight and swap various obscenities and innuendos.

Does the 3DS version have a story mode? 

Eh...it's the smallest story yet, but technically yes, two versions in fact. 

58 minutes ago, Dejimon11 said:

Does the 3DS version have a story mode? 

Kind of, but they're all about the stupid Miis, instead of the characters we actually care about...

I'd like to think that the reasoning for the lackluster story mode this time around would be because the focus was instead put towards the home console version finally getting one but as a person whose been conditioned to expect to be let down I'm certain that isn't the case. 

On 3/8/2016 at 2:01 PM, Indigo Rush said:

CdCz1-vW8AA-oyc.jpg

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Reveal hidden contents

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Now he just needs to be edited into the tornado scene from the Wizard of Oz and we can get ourselves a meme:

gulch-wizard-tornado.jpg

The lacklustre story was probably due to Nintendo wanting to shove in Amiibo functionality so Sonic did more than just work with Smash. It would hardly be fair if only Sonic and Mario has alterable stats and none of the rest of the 40-strong playable cast, so giving Miis suits that are golden versions of ones granted for standard story wear works out fairer...I guess. 

2 hours ago, AdventChild said:

Now he just needs to be edited into the tornado scene from the Wizard of Oz and we can get ourselves a meme:

gulch-wizard-tornado.jpg

yes but the song must be done in the Sonic 4 synth sound-font 

please someone make my dream come true

So basically, it looks like the Wii-u version has even more new characters, although we don't know the size of the final roster(though it would explain the extra 3+ month actual gameplay development), which would be rather cool to differentiate, and they are still trying to get the best possible marketing on the wii-u version. Some are speculating that the wii-u version will have limitations like the 3DS but nothing ever in the series indicate that since the console version has always gone for the max possible marketability and enjoyable playability.

Personally it'll be interesting to see if the wii-u version does wind up being the most definitive Mario and Sonic olympic game yet

Nintendo have finally uploaded the opening movie to their channel.

It's...exactly the same as the one in the Direct. There's no indication that this isn't a full version.

Also using the little gap that Nintendo have left comments open to see if I can have a tiny shot at getting them to be clear on what the playable roster actually entails. 

Oh boy, starting 11:00 PM to Midnight tomorrow, this game will be out in America. I got mine prepayed digitally.

Well well well, if it ain't Koopa Troopa sneaking right past us on the game's box art as a playable character.

Also found another flag...but who is this? Thought it was Sticks at first, but somehow this doesn't look like the other Sonic logos...Wait, I think it's Espio.

Koopa Troopa Rio.png

rio2.png

In other words Sega is pulling a Boom fiasco again.

It's odd that a game that has both my favorite characters from my two favorite series that I'm uninterested it in.

Luckily Sonic is in Smash 3DS.

Yeah, I see no reason why SEGA pulled a Boom with this. From what I've seen from Cobi's playthrough, it looks pretty good so why did SEGA not hand out review copies? I guess it might just be limited quantities but isn't Rio Olympics 3DS coming out tomorrow?

Maybe because they know people are getting tired of this series. On a serious note it's likely that they didn't want it to over shadow Pokken Tournament since Nintendo seems to be hyping that game up.

My guess is that they haven't sent all of them out, meaning some of them will arrive on release day. Or they may have just simply forgotten to send codes to everyone. 

EDIT: Thinking about it now, it's possible that it was only Destructoid that didn't get the review codes and other outlets got some. 

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, LukA8 said:

Well well well, if it ain't Koopa Troopa sneaking right past us on the game's box art as a playable character.

Also found another flag...but who is this? Thought it was Sticks at first, but somehow this doesn't look like the other Sonic logos...Wait, I think it's Espio.

Koopa Troopa Rio.png

rio2.png

Surprised you can make anything out of those, the angle is awkward. That said, top one doesn't look like a Koopa Troopa to me. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Why are people getting worked up over how the game turned out? It's been out in Japan for over a month now, and it reviewed well from Famitsu. In other words, it's early reviews gave it good scores.