Awoo.

The SSMB Community Game Night - Currently Closed for Reconstruction

Ryannumber1gamer

So, since I can't decide which should be the Game Night stuff this week, I'm taking suggestions from this list. Let me know in the status which two games you'd like to play.

Remember to get your votes in for the games this week! Vote closes tomorrow! Vote here! 

Here's the current votes so far.

MK8: 4

Splatoon: 3

Rocket League: 2

Smash: 3

TF2: 1

Well, after counting up the votes, we've got our two winners.

GAME NIGHT @ 10:00PM GMT/5:00PM EST ON NOV 21ST IS...

fbook.jpg

MARIO KART 8

AND FOR GAME NIGHT ENCORE AT 12:30am GMT/7:30pm EST

main-wiiu-logo.png

• Thumbs Up 3

GAME NIGHT STARTS IN 5 MINUTES! LET ME KNOW IF YOU'RE COMING SO I CAN ADD YOU TO THE GAME NIGHT PM! NO DLC IS NEEDED FOR EITHER GAME, SO ALL YOU NEED IS THE BASE GAME TO PLAY! EVERYONE'S WELCOME TO PLAY.

i'll join for smash later  tonight "sorry I don't have Mario kart 8 so can't join in for that

edit:well another smashing night :D

Edited by kirby1up

Once again, I had a ton of fun Smashing tonight! I still need more games to play with y'all, but due to my priorities (NFC toy collecting) I still haven't got to that yet.

• Thumbs Up 2

My second time going to Game Night! It was really fun again, the MK8 matches gave me a lot of nice memories of last year when the game was brand new and we were playing it all the time, and SSB4 was great especially with the team matches, even if I didnt really do as well as I did last week lmao

thanks for having me again!

• Thumbs Up 1

Alright, in total, we had about 18 players tonight, 8 for Mario Kart 8, and 9 for Smash U! Those were some intense matches guys!

I also want to thank a few people who decided to help with some of the aspects behind the scenes at Game Night, which will be a big help.

But I think it's time to talk personally about Game Night, and as I said earlier, I can't help but feel some people have been taking this for granted, and honestly, It's time I speak up about it, especially after two things that happened, one a few months ago, and one earlier this week.

First off, this is a community event. It isn't one that will always happen, and it's one that people *has* to take time out of their lives to set up. It is an event where me and several other members have come together, to put their own time aside in order to get an weekly event up and running for their fellow members for the sole purpose of allowing you and other members to have fun with each other. That's the simple fact behind it. 

Secondly, for the past few weeks, due to Klonoa being busy, and a good few of our staff being either busy or inactive, it means I've pretty much been running this thing solo for the past few weeks, and while some may think it's as easy as setting up a lobby, it simply isn't. There's a bunch of behind the scenes things that go on, and then there's the issue of finding out who wants to play, getting word out about it, and then getting everyone into a PM to tell them how it's going to go. That shit isn't easy. 

If there's another issue, there's still some people who wait to the very last minute to inform me if they are going to be attending or not, and that makes things even harder to deal with. It's hard enough with multiple people, but it's even harder when it's one person who has to sit and try to organize an entire event alone, and it's especially harder when I have to get lobbies and such set up, only to dissolve them after a match in order to accept a friend request. Generally, I have a PM set up as early as around 5-10 hours before the event begins just so I can get everyone up to speed, and ready to hop on when the time comes.

But yet, despite all of these issues, for some people, it's still not good enough for them. Some people want handheld events, some people want livestreaming, some people want multiplatform games, and you guys have to understand this. I simply can't do all this shit alone. Being completely frank and honest, it's an absolute miracle that the main Game Night event is still running at this stage, so no, I do find it utterly annoying when people start trying to make me feel guilty over leaving a specific console out when it's hard enough trying to cover one console.

I have a very busy week myself with schoolwork, and weekends are pretty much my only free time, so you guys can realize that even taking one full day out of that weekend to get this all organized and set up is already a pretty nice thing on my end right here, and I do it because I like making you guys smile, and allowing you guys to have fun. When I hear people say that Game Night is a great thing, it makes me feel like it's worth it, but I've gotta be honest about this. This event is meant to be fun for myself as well, and I do have fun with it and playing with you guys, but making demands, and making me feel guilty about shit that's literally out of my control is not fair game.

That being said, tonight, a good few people voiced their appreciation for me doing this, and the event in general, and again that made me smile. It made me feel like my efforts weren't going unnoticed and I was bringing a lot of fun to this board, which is what I set out to do in the first place. But it still feels like some people still take this entire thing for granted, and I have to voice that concern. This isn't a one man show, and this isn't remotely easy to pull off every week. I should have spoke about this before the hiatus as well, when that video was made solely for the purpose of making me, and my fellow staff look like a bunch of pricks who are trying to be assholes about this whole event, but no, I tried to be civil about it.

I'll put it simply. Me and my fellow staff are not bad guys. We are not assholes who are trying to control this event, or trying to look popular by doing it. We're a bunch of your fellow SSMB community members who put their own time, and effort into making these nights a reality. We try our absolute fucking hardest to make these events as easy and user friendly as possible, and make this night as joinable as possible, which is why we've hosted a bunch of F2P games that's easy to run. We have a specific way of running these nights because after several screw ups, and looking at our feedback, we determined what was the best options. So seeing people take that for granted, even trying to self advertise, and make us look like a bunch of inexperienced assholes is nothing but a complete middle finger to this event, and everyone who puts so much effort into trying to get it up and running every single week.

Which leads me to Game Night Handheld. Let me put this as simply as I can. I am a one man operation right now, at least in terms of hosting. It is hard as fuck trying to organize two events, let alone three events, two of which take place at the same time. Do not make me feel guilty over this fact, because it is simply impossible. Nothing more, nothing less. There's also the second main reason why Encore got selected over Handheld, and that was simply no one bothered to even come. Even after all the effort we put in, and even after all the trouble we went through to get an additional event done for the handheld audience who asked for it so much, no one even bothered to come for two weeks in a row.

And while I'm at it, I'll discuss that as well. While I understand if you don't own a game like Splatoon, or Mario Kart 8, or whatever, I honestly don't see no reason why you can go to the effort of at least trying the free to play games that we have offered in the past. While I joke about it when Klonoa brings up Halo, he has a fair fucking point. It was a free to play game released years ago, and it literally took me 5 minutes to get it up and running. Unless you tried it and it didn't work, I see absolutely no reason why some people couldn't try it out. We don't care if you're good at it or not, the entire point is to have fun. Nothing more. It's absolutely disheartening to go through all the effort of trying to get a F2P game set up and ready, only for no one to bother to come, especially when people have voted for the game themselves.

Now do I have any good news to go with this? Yes, one piece of good news, but just keep in mind that this is only out of goodness from my heart, because right now, I'm actually pissed off about this. I will give Handheld night one more attempt. I am asking someone to see if they can host a handheld night while I handle the Encore event, but let me make this perfectly clear, if they agree to it, I am not going to make them waste their time. If there is not at least four players who come to Handheld Night, that's it. It's done. I'm not going to ask my friends to start hosting shit that no one is going to bother coming to. I'm not going to make them dedicate their time and effort to something that you guys aren't even going to bother attending. Simple as that.

So you might be thinking, why do I do it? Why do I keep doing something that keeps getting harder to do? Well as I said, for the people who do attend it, and enjoy it, It makes me happy. I find joy in the fact I'm helping brighten up people's weekends. It makes me feel like I'm actively helping out the board by making it more positive, and that makes it worth for me. When I saw Spinny's post last week for example, that made me smile because Game Night helped to make someone's weekend better, and that's what I set up to do, to offer a weekly event that makes people happy, which is honestly why I've made this post. Because I don't like seeing that effort, and time go unappreciated, and what happened this week when trying to set this up was really what made me finally talk about this.

So you might be thinking, Can I do anything to help?

Yes you can.

-Please volunteer to help. It doesn't need to be hosting, we have behind the scenes stuff that we could also use help with.

-Please do not start making demands to me or the staff, if you want to ask us to do something, do it in a reasonable way.

-If the game is free to play, please make an effort to attend

-If you have the game, please make an effort to attend.

-Alert me as soon as possible if you are going to attend so I can be set up beforehand. It makes life simpler and easier for all of us.

-Game Night is not about skill level. It's about having fun. I don't care if you haven't played a game before, just give it a try if it's free to play, because we honestly don't care about your skill level. We care about having fun, and having fun with you. As several members can attend to, they didn't try Team Fortress 2 until they tried it for Game Night, and despite being beginners, they ended up having a great deal of fun with it, even becoming a regular when the game is in our lineup.

Sorry for the overly long and negative post, but it's something I had to get off my back for a while.

• Thumbs Up 6

I don't think a lot of people know that Game Night as a whole slowly started losing it's support following the school year for most of us starting. If I had the time I seriously would and absolutely would want to hop in and help manage the event, but I'm not being given the time to do so. It's kinda bothersome to see that I'm the co-manager of this whole thing and yet I'm doing probably very little of the man power that's determining this whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I'm definitely working on the event and I'm still coordinating with Ryan on things, but with schoolwork, it's a lot more harder to get to my console and help host the matches then I originally thought.

Game Night is an awesome experience and I'm absolutely glad both me and Ryan have got it this far, but it's also been such a frustrating experience for the both of us as well. It's an event that can't satisfy everybody at once, and a event that can cause a lot of problems because of that.

Game Nights aren't competition nights (except for tournaments), nor are they SGDQ events with people racing each other to speed run games, and they were certainly not meant to be best enjoyed watching, so we really ask for your patience when it comes to even finding games we'd believe would work out for a particular weekend. Old SSMB Game Night did not work for a lot of reasons, and the structure we're doing is while severely limited, the one that most people seem to prefer the most as a community. Game Night isn't Movie Night, and it's actually a hell of a more stressful thing to handle then say, Felix exporting a movie onto Livestream and everybody hopping onto it. There are way more factors put into it and when it comes to it, we just can't please anybody when it comes to timezones, game selection or methods of communication. I hope you guys understand that it's a pretty great experience to work on this event and help a lot of SSMBers kick back on Saturday Night to play with some familiar names, but it's probably just as, if not more frustrating then I wish it could be.

Edited by Kaze no Klonoa
Added a segment
  • Thumbs Up 3

Vote's up for this week's games. Vote here.

And against my better judgement, and if @Forte-Metallix agrees to host, a Handheld night will be held as I mentioned. But be warned, if this doesn't get at least four participants, then it's done. I'm not stressing myself, and others for something no one will bother to even come to.

There will be a Handheld Game Night this week, with Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS.

If you would like to join, it'll happen at 12:30am GMT/7:30pm EST, same time as Encore. We look forward to seeing you there.

I was asked to post this on the behalf of Ryan.

• Thumbs Up 1

Notice: Voting ends tomorrow. Here's my earlier status with the votes:

For those who want an idea of how the Game Night vote is going currently:

Smash 4: 1

Mario Kart 8: 6

Splatoon: 5

PS4/PC: Rocket League: 2

PC: 

Team Fortress 2: 6

Left 4 Dead 2: 1

Remember the vote isn't over until tomorrow night, so you still have a chance to get your vote in. We don't care about your skill level in any of these games since we're doing this solely to have fun, so even if you don't play much, or you haven't played the F2P stuff before, feel free to join us anyway! Vote here

Alright, time for the game announcements for this week. 

With a total of 7 votes, the main event will be....

blog_chars_base3.jpg

GAME NIGHT ON NOVEMBER 28th @ 5:00pm EST/10:00 GMT IS....

TEAM FORTRESS 2 MULTIPLAYER (PC, F2P)

Then for the Encore event, which equally has 7 votes, it's of course...

mariokart8box.jpg

GAME NIGHT ENCORE ON NOVEMBER 28TH @ 7:30pm EST/12:30am GMT IS...

MARIO KART 8!

AND FINALLY, THE RETURN OF GAME NIGHT'S THIRD EVENT, FOR A SPECIAL TEST RUN....GAME NIGHT HANDHELD WITH...

smashbros_3DS-646x519.jpg

SUPER SMASH BROS FOR 3DS! ON NOVEMBER 28TH STARTING AT 7:30pm EST/12:30am GMT

So there's this week's games! If you are coming, please let me know in advance so I can get things organized. Make life easier for everyone. Reminder that Handheld Night is solely a test drive tonight, and if you guys want it to keep happening, more than 4 players need to attend.

Finally, I'll give a hint regarding next weeks games. There will not be a vote happening. You guys asked for new material, and we're giving it to you. Next week, we will be doing brand new games that haven't been featured on Game Night before but have been highly requested in the past! Keep an eye on here to find them out!

Edited by Ryannumber1Santa
  • Thumbs Up 3

Hmm,  in the case of each of those three games,  I'll need to do some friends code/ NNID/ Steam name hunting (in addition to practicing TF2 since I've never played that one before).

Hmm,  in the case of each of those three games,  I'll need to do some friends code/ NNID/ Steam name hunting (in addition to practicing TF2 since I've never played that one before).

You won't need to worry about them. In terms of MK8/TF2, you'll just need to add the host, which will be me in this case.

So, I haven't had a chance to catch one of these save for a SSB4 3DS event, but for TF2, do you ever use the Steam group page to announce when Game Night is starting?

i'll join in for smash 3ds when it starts since I have the 3ds version of the game

Edited by kirby1up
changed my mind

So, I haven't had a chance to catch one of these save for a SSB4 3DS event, but for TF2, do you ever use the Steam group page to announce when Game Night is starting?

Yeah, its been used for announcements for the last two weeks.

I'll try to join for TF2, but I can't say for sure if I'll make it. xP I apologize in advance if I don't show up.

SSame thing with me actually.  5:00 might end up being booked tonight. 

Well, I suppose I should quickly go over how Game Night did again this week.

Well, it was a slight improvement over last week, and on top of that, we managed to break our participant record again with 25 people this week! 25 SSMBers who all came together to play some games!

On top of that, Game Night Handheld just barely scraped its continued survival with 5 participants on Smash 3DS, which means it lives on. Just please don't pull what happened the last time with Game Night Handheld alright? 

As for my own feelings on this week...it's a long story, and I don't want to go off topic here, so I'll discuss that on the "Efforts Unnoticed" thread in the Personal Discussion section.

Finally, it's time for a new theme, and this time, it's something special.

HIGHLY REQUESTED AND BRAND NEW ADDITIONS:

THAT'S RIGHT, NOW THAT WE'VE GOT MORE STAFF, WE'RE GONNA BE EXPERIMENTAL (Please leave your Sonic jokes at the door) AND GO FOR GAMES THAT'S BEEN HIGHLY REQUESTED AND HASN'T BEEN FEATURED ON GAME NIGHT YET!

SO WITHOUT FURTHER ADO:

GAME NIGHT DECEMBER 5TH AT 5:00pm EST/10:00pm GMT....

latest?cb=20120817131333&path-prefix=de

WE'RE PLAYING BOTH THE PS3 AND PC VERSIONS OF THE GAME! 

Game Night Encore At 7:30pm EST/12:30am GMT:

Rocket_League_coverart.jpg

ROCKET LEAGUE, WHICH IS ONCE AGAIN BEING HOSTED ON BOTH PS4 AND PC!

AND FINALLY, GAME NIGHT HANDHELD AT 7:30pm EST/12:30am GMT

Kid_Icarus-Uprising_logo.jpg

KID ICARUS UPRISING ON 3DS

• Thumbs Up 3

I'm glad handheld night still lives on. But I'm seating bext weeks out. Since I dont have kid icarus. Maybe next time if you do either LM dark moon or MK7