Awoo.

Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright / Conquest

Jin.

Yugioh, Pokémon, Magic and more are still being played to this day. Even Vanguard is popular! If we can get Vanguard, then I sure as hell hope we can get the Fire Emblem TCG too!

• 2 weeks later...

A few new details.

• Some of this will just be reiterating what was said before, but:
  • Hoshido has a world map.
  • Nohr has more complex maps. Besides the usual "defeat all of the enemies"/"defeat the general" maps, there will also be suppression, breakthroughs, defending bases, turn restrictions, amongst others. There are lots of map gimmicks. (We've already seen dragon's vein.)
  • Both versions of the game contain the same characters. You'll be shown different aspects of their personalities in accordance to the route you select.
  • The downloadable version does not contain both sides. It does not lock the other route when you select one. You pay to receive everything up until chapter five, and once you make a decision, you will have to download everything from chapters six, onward, for the respectful route. The second download is free because you have already paid. If you want to try the alternative version, you have to buy DLC in the same way those with physical copies will.
  • You can also save directly to your 3DS system (versus the cartridge).
  • If you decide to buy the DLC, you can load your chapter 5 data and continue from that
  • instead of starting from the beginning. Of course, you can restart if you'd like to.
  • You'll be able to experience an entire story by only playing one route. The other is a completely different story.
  • The third path is in the middle of Hoshido and Nohr in terms of difficulty. People who began with Hoshido should still be able to complete the third path.
  • You'll be able to lower the difficulty in the middle of the game if you find Nohr too hard.
  • You'll still be able to connect with people who play the alternative version. (Probably means you can streetpass someone with Nohr despite playing Hoshido, and vice versa.)
  • There will be various perks for connecting with other players.

Awakening's lack of map gimmicks and objective variety was soul-crushingly boring, so that they're rectifying this is welcome.  Only for the "hard mode" game, of course.

Thanks for that.

This is something a lot of people seem to keep missing; that somehow certain character's won't be available if you take a certain path. However, they stated right in the Direct that all characters are available in every path. So basically it'll be like in Sacred Stones; take one path and you can the characters in different ways.

I'd bet that you get one prepromote on each path; either Ryouma or Marx, as an early Oifey. The other will join late in the game. Other various characters will gradually join, perhaps some only join after you fight them and convince them to join your side. The "little sisters" probably just follow behind you and join rather early, and both maids probably stick with you no matter which way you go as well.

Whoda thought the decision between Arran and Samson in FE1 was the motivation for If?

It's been a long time since I played Shadow Dragon, mind filling me in?

Marth dies.

• Thumbs Up 1

In Chapter 16, there is an option of recruiting either Samson (Hero) or Aran (Paladin).

• Thumbs Up 1

The choice has no impact on the storyline, just who you recruit and who you don't. But they do say If's based on it.

A better comparison would be choosing between the two villages in Chapter 9 of Binding Blade. Pick one village and you go down a particular route for a few chapters. Pick the other village, or don't pick either of them, and go down another route before converging again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Branching pathways have happened several times in past games, though. They compare it to FE1, but future games have had branching pathways at several different points, some longer than others.

FE5 has a two-chapter split at one point.

FE6 has a decent split where you choose between Sacae or Ilia, five chapters including a Gaiden in each. There's even a separate, shorter split earlier in the game if you choose to get Lalum or Elphin; the other becomes your Tactician and you only get one in each path. Like FE5 this path split is only two chapters.

Sacred Stones (FE8) then has the biggest path split until If, where after Chapter 8 it splits into Ephraim's and Eirika's path. This split is six chapters, but it has a lasting impact on the rest of the game as certain events are different even after the paths merge again. And either Ephraim or Eirika will be the main character for the rest of the game. (You're still required to use the other for certain chapters anyway, though.)

The choice has no impact on the storyline, just who you recruit and who you don't. But they do say If's based on it.

A better comparison would be choosing between the two villages in Chapter 9 of Binding Blade. Pick one village and you go down a particular route for a few chapters. Pick the other village, or don't pick either of them, and go down another route before converging again.

One thing that should be noted is the article is translated from Japanese, so not everything applies to the western release. The characters/path thing does of course, but it still doesn't help us in determining if the game will be available to us from the start or we have to pay for the second path.

FE6 actually has two splits. There's the two villages thing, getting you two chapters and Laluym or Elphin. Then later the second path is determined by the total level of certain characters; sending you to Sacae or Ilia.

FE8 is probably the biggest split to date, though, where the story does actually change slightly depending on if you chose Ephraim or Eirika. Ephraim's path is also harder.

Ya missed an interview

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/04/29/fire-emblem-developer-explains-game-split-two-versions/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+siliconera%2FMkOc+%28Siliconera%29

Fire Emblem If Developer Explains Why The Game Is Split In Two Versions

Key developers from Nintendo and Intelligent Systems recently spoke with 4Gamer on their reason for splitting Fire Emblem If into two separate White Kingdom and Black Kingdom versions. Regarding the subject, 4Gamer mentions that it seems as though, depending on which side you choose, you’ll have a different impression of the characters that appear in the game.

“I believe so; however, you’ll be plenty satisfied even just by playing one of the routes, so please play whichever one piques your interest,” replies Nintendo producer Hitoshi Yamagami. “After that, if you get curious about what happens on the other route, give that a try. Once you learn about one route, the other one will become more profound.”

Next, 4Gamer says that when they first heard about the announcement, it seemed like the idea of being able to split the game into two packages came to be due to how easy it has become to add content through DLC.

“Yes, that’s exactly it,” responds Yamagami. “If we were to put the content of both sides into one, we’d have no choice but to set the price as [the value of] two games, and that wouldn’t be fair to players that are just going to play one route.”

4Gamer responds by saying that there are likely a lot of people out there who would be satisfied with just playing one route; however, they were expecting it to be more of an “another route” kind of deal, and didn’t expect each route would have as much content as a single standalone game.

“It is Fire Emblem, after all,” says Yamagami with a laugh. “Each route is properly made, with its own scenes and movies as well.”

If you’re wondering just how much content the routes of Fire Emblem If has, we previously reported that it has about the same amount of content as Fire Emblem: Awakening, which wasn’t a short game, by any means. That said, with the increased cost of development in mind, it makes sense that Intelligent and Nintendo chose to split the game into two versions instead of simply charging a higher price for the entire package as a whole.

Fire Emblem If will release in Japan on June 25, 2015 for Nintendo 3DS. The game will be released sometime in 2016 in the West.

Read more stories about Fire Emblem If & Nintendo 3DS on Siliconera.

So its essentially two games, dlc just makes it more convient

New Aqua keyart.

Hopefully she's not as weak as in Kingdom Hearts.

c:

It looks really good. I thought that underskirt thing was underwear at first. XP

I now realize that that's half underwear and half stocking

and I must wonder if Tetsuya Nomura is designing these characters

• 2 weeks later...

More info!

Protag's a Dark Prince/Princess class and you can alter his or her appearance like in Awakening, no more Weapon Durability, a super easy mode that my little sister would love called Phoenix Mode (all downed units are revived next turn; I'll stick to Casual though), nine save files that go up by three when a new scenario is unlocked, and JP voice actors revealed for the main characters.

TAKE THAT JIN I GOT NEWS ON IF BEFORE YOU

So weapon durability really is gone, huh. That's kind of a shame. There's nothing really punishing you for just equipping everyone with the best weapon you can get now, is there? Maybe the weapons have all been re-balanced to account for this. 

9 save files is nice. Phoenix mode is good for players who want it. 

We knew about the protagonist being a Dark Prince/Princess/Mary Sue already, though. Maybe the localization will come up with a name that sounds a little cooler than that. 

I don't know why you'd want Phoenix mode.

Like getting your team members back every map is fine but if your team members dying doesn't hurt you in any ways then what's the point?

But it's optional so w/e

Weapon durabillity hasn't meant much of anything since FE9. All this means is managing your inventory and funds will be simpler.