Awoo.

Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric (Wii U)

Bluecore

Because Frost stated that they wanted the demo to show sonic fans that it would be completely different from other sonic games.

They were NOT showing off their best stages and bosses, merely the ones that showcase this fact.

• Thumbs Up 2

Then that's stupid, I'm sorry but it's fine I'd they want to show off that fact, all the better for them, but why not have a mixture of the styles?

Why not showcase it after all the complaints?

Heck why NOT show of some of the best bits, the point is to get people to buy it, if they aren't going to show off some of the best bits then it's just ridiculous. I expect to see a representation of the game as a whole.

I'm not even on about the demo, I'm in about all of the various gameplay footage. They made it perfectly clear after the first trailer or so that the gameplay is not the same, so why haven't we seen ANYTHING of this more "sonicy" gameplay?

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm not a Boom lover or a Boom hater, I'm keeping my eye out as it looks interesting, but just some things that I feel need addressing

Something I have to say regarding the whole " you've only seen X amount/mins of level/gameplay footage so you can't judge the whole game". I'm going to repeat what I said to others about Hogfather's Lost World preview.

It's a demo, something that is made PURPOSEFULLY, to get people interested in the game, the story, the gameplay. It's something that is meant to make you want more, it's meant to make you excited for the game and get involved in the world off the game. If people are not liking the game after the demo, then the demo has failed, sure you will always have a few who don't like it, that's because people are different. But if the majority of people do not like the demo , something that is made with the aim of getting people interested, then there is a problem with the demo, indicating that there is ( generally) a problem with the game.

I'm not really bothering to take sides on the issue, mostly because I don't really care for Boom outside of what the story can offer, but it might be possible that the demo itself isn't indicative of the quality of the real game. IIRC, there was an Extra Credits video that said that demos could sometimes be separately designed from the real game, and thus it was possible that the demo could be better or worse than the game itself and vice versa. Now granted that isn't an excuse for poor quality demos, or that the real game will be amazingly good or anything, I'm just saying that could be something to keep in mind.

• Thumbs Up 1

Because Frost stated that they wanted the demo to show sonic fans that it would be completely different from other sonic games.

They were NOT showing off their best stages and bosses, merely the ones that showcase this fact.

I think it just developer's lipservices. Actually. According to vgstation review. This E3 demo is just a final product

source http://www.vgstations.com/en/news/item/1150-sonic-boom-was-the-worst-sonic-game-i-ve-ever-played.html

Sent from my SHW-M250S using Tapatalk 2

• Thumbs Up 1

The demo is a few levels in the game out of who knows how many, chosen to show how Boom is different from other Sonic games. The levels are final, yes, but only two or there's out of many different levels...

Honestly the only reason why I'd see SEGA using such a buisness move would be if they didn't expect the game to sell well anyway. And given the sales predictions from last year... I'd say that's exactly what they think.

They're probably just trying to solidify the identity of the sub series as well as they can with this game, looking for actual fans of the gameplay genre than grab a superficial audience that will hate it anyway. That way, they can continue their little franchise on other platforms with certainty that at least those fans will buy it, or just cancel it in case it becomes too big of a flop, replacing the developer team, at the very least.

Not a very smart business move if you're planing on a one-time sales streak, but probably a good move in the long-term.

Plus it also means that expectations are at the bottom of the barrel already, so we won't have whiners proclaiming to the high heavens that the game stinks several months after release, like so many other Sonic games. Score!

The problem isn't that it's different from other Sonic, it's how they've executed it. Demo's are supposed to generate hype for the game, at least, that's how most companies do it. If this is the kind of gameplay to expect throughout the game then I'm really not sure how people are going to receive this. There might be a few surprises later on but at it's core the gameplay will probably remain the same, and if it's been mixed to poorly received this early on (which didn't even happen with Lost World) then I don't think it will get much better later on in the game.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong, but they did say that they were aiming for "a consistent experience" earlier on in the year. 

• Thumbs Up 1

And likewise, just because it's your opinion that the gameplay of the combat is bland, it doesn't change the fact that it's high-impact action. So no, the execution isn't flawed.

Except, because it's so bland, it's not "high-impact" (and barely qualifies as "action").

Doesn't make it any less of an adventure..?

It's like you're stuck on this really literal definition of things where as long as you can check off "you fight things" and "you go places", it's a competent game. It may technically be an adventure, but it's a boring-ass adventure from everything we've seen so far.

The threads of speed that are sectioned off into areas that are only appropriate for them, making a pattern like a roller coaster of an adventure?

It's only "like a roller coaster" if you're including spending a half hour waiting in line between rides as part of the experience.

All I'm seeing is a matter of tastes, not poor execution.

And you're going to cling to this "but, opinions!" argument regardless of what anyone says.
  • Thumbs Up 5

I still can't help but feel the reason a lot of people (I'm not saying "all") aren't impressed with this game is because the gameplay looks so simple right now. I imagine that some of the people unhappy with the way this game is going might have better things to say one the action really heats up. I mean, the game does seem to be trying to ease its new (younger) audience into the action. I think it'll probably turn out quite awesome by the halfway point (and if that's the case, I kind of have to agree with Jolt that they should have included some of that in the demo or footage to get people more excited).

• Thumbs Up 1

Except, because it's so bland, it's not "high-impact" (and barely qualifies as "action").It's like you're stuck on this really literal definition of things where as long as you can check off "you fight things" and "you go places", it's a competent game. It may technically be an adventure, but it's a boring-ass adventure from everything we've seen so far.It's only "like a roller coaster" if you're including spending a half hour waiting in line between rides as part of the experience.And you're going to cling to this "but, opinions!" argument regardless of what anyone says.

But most of that IS opinions... some people can get more evoked into a story or game even though you can't because their personal tastes. Like my brother actually feels like the coach of his basketball team in nba games which I could never feel because I can't get as evoked into them as he can. Bland is also personal taste. I like just a burger with cheese and maybe bacon and that's really flavorful to me, which to others would be bland so yeah...

• Thumbs Up 2

I still can't help but feel the reason a lot of people (I'm not saying "all") aren't impressed with this game is because the gameplay looks so simple right now.

Classic Sonic games on Mega Drive had simple gameplay.

I didn't find them unimpressive. I think they are brilliant and the aforementioned simple gameplay and mechanics are a part of why they hold such enduring appeal. They're so incredibly well-designed that they've aged very well and still play beautifully years later.

Sonic Boom doesn't do simple right at all from what I've seen of it and it doesn't look at all appealing. There's a right way to do simple and a wrong one. Boom hasn't shown to me that it's doing the former.

• Thumbs Up 8

Like I said, if the combat didn't look so repetitive and actually appealing, I wouldn't be so hard on it. But it doesn't look good, at all.

And if the impressions are anything to go by, it doesn't play good either.

I'm kind of getting tired of people trying to rationalize the problems with this game; it's a flawed game, plain and simple, I'm sorry it just happens to apart of a franchise you love, but I'm calling a spade and spade :\

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thumbs Up 6

But most of that IS opinions... some people can get more evoked into a story or game even though you can't because their personal tastes. Like my brother actually feels like the coach of his basketball team in nba games which I could never feel because I can't get as evoked into them as he can. Bland is also personal taste. I like just a burger with cheese and maybe bacon and that's really flavorful to me, which to others would be bland so yeah...

I'm sorry, but that argument is probably the biggest cop-out a person can make here. If we come to those kind of conclusions, then why are we discussing this with passionate people on a message board?

And these 'opinions' really all boil down to experience, not just preference. People on here know how certain types of games feel and control, and certain people know a bad time with a game when they see one, making Boom is about as readable as an open pop-up book with ten pages and giant Comic Sans text. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Oh, right. I forgot to say the thing I'm most looking for: plot and characterizations.

Which is the same approach I have for almost any other game I played, come to think of it...

Normally, I'll just wait for a walkthrough on Youtube to look at... but this time, since plot and characterizations seem to be integrated in the levels (something that didn't happen at all in Lost World), I'll play it myself. That's why I'm trying to rationalize the flaws and accepting them.

Then again, I'm not forcing anyone to feel the same.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Boom doesn't do simple right at all from what I've seen of it and it doesn't look at all appealing.

That isn't what UbiSonic was saying though. He was saying that the gameplay will probably get more complex as time goes on, but right now the version people are seeing isn't that interesting.

I'm kind of getting tired of people trying to rationalize the problems with this game; it's a flawed game, plain and simple, I'm sorry it just happens to apart of a franchise you love, but I'm calling a spade and spade :\

I don't think any of us are calling the game perfect. And anyway, "flawed" =/= "bad". There's a lot of games that I love, but I wouldn't hesitate to point out their flaws.

Or are you telling us to stop being positive and jump on the "sonicboomisshit" bandwagon?

• Thumbs Up 2

"Bandwagon"?

Sonic Boom is shit. It's so far removed from what Sonic actually is that it makes Shadow the Hedgehog look like normal Sonic gameplay. Which it actually is to a shallow extent. This isn't.

This isn't even a matter of "it's different therefore it sucks". Nothing about this game looks vaguely inspired.

• Thumbs Up 9

A couple people here may be trying to rationalize this game's "problems," but I haven't done any rationalizing myself. I just don't have any real problems with this game so far (that doesn't mean there's nothing I'm a little skeptical about, optimistic though I may be).

I personally don't mind the combat right now, but I can see how it might become boring if every single battle was like the ones we've seen. I genuinely believe it'll become more complex and intense later in the game, but, if I see late game combat footage that looked just like the early game battles, then I'd become concerned. That hasn't happened yet, though, so I have nothing bad to say yet.

I enjoy hearing the characters talk in-game, since the voice acting and writing have vastly improved since Heroes, but if they start repeating themselves too much, yeah I could see that being a little annoying. We have seen a bit of that already, so if that's a flaw, then yeah I'll give you that, it's a flaw.

When I get this game, I'll be sure to acknowledge any flaws there may be and decide wether they had any negative impact, major or minor, on my experience when I post my impressions. Right now, though, there's just not much about this game for me to find upsetting.

• Thumbs Up 2

All I can expect from Sonic Boom now is bad gameplay but good presentation, maybe. You know, the story might be really good and stuff but the gameplay doesn't look like it's salvageable at all right now. It doesn't look great and the previews have been fairly negative overall. Hell the previews for SLW were more positive last year, and look how that turned out!

• Thumbs Up 4

That isn't what UbiSonic was saying though. He was saying that the gameplay will probably get more complex as time goes on, but right now the version people are seeing isn't that interesting.

Or are you telling us to stop being positive and jump on the "sonicboomisshit" bandwagon?

I'm sorry, but aren't you jumping the gun too, except on the different side of the coin?

Sounds like serious assumptions are being made here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Hell the previews for SLW were more positive last year, and look how that turned out!

The previews for SLW were positive because Sega presented decent levels with all of the usual nostalgic trappings that reviewers eat up, and it was coming off of two critically-acclaimed games. But the game didn't hold up in quality over the long haul, hence the critical heel-turn when they actually played the whole thing. It's been a noted flaw of previews and demos for awhile that it takes finesse and elbow grease to show content that properly represents the game and keeps the interest of the public over the course of the marketing phase. In many cases there is bound to be critical dissonance going one way or the other. Things could potentially change depending on either what's in store later on, BRB's ability to make note of the criticism and implement solutions, or ideally both.

• Thumbs Up 6

Unless they deliberately chose mediocre levels because they didn't want to spoil the really fancy ones, I certainly don't have high hopes.  Of course in... good games, every level tends to be a "really fancy one".

Sad as it is to notice and say... Frostman was being totally cool about alleviating our fears when we were getting upset over concepts regarding the game that simply weren't true.  He... hasn't popped in to correct anyone for a while.

• Thumbs Up 1

All right you won Sonic Boom is an unfixable shitty game I already want my refound blaaargh I'm so angry and negative right now are you happy!?!?!?!

God fucking dammit! Why can't I be POSITIVE?!?!?!?!?

Unless they deliberately chose mediocre levels because they didn't want to spoil the really fancy ones, I certainly don't have high hopes.  Of course in... good games, every level tends to be a "really fancy one".

Sad as it is to notice and say... Frostman was being totally cool about alleviating our fears when we were getting upset over concepts regarding the game that simply weren't true.  He... hasn't popped in to correct anyone for a while.

I'm taken back to the Generations Green Hill demo that was picked apart massively on the basis that everything was too easy, linear, and shitty. Then people buy the game and fawn over Seaside Hill's multiple paths and shit.

As for Mr. Frostman, he's either really busy, feels like there's no reason to bother anymore, or both. I don't blame him in any case.