Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Day 24: Favorite Non-Smash or Wreck-It-Ralph cameo?

Wait, Sonic was in Smash?

Anyway, I liked the one from Donkey Kong Country 2 the most, since that game was my most favorite one from back when I played the SNES alot, and while I wasn't so much big into the whole Nintendo vs. SEGA thing, now knowing about Sonic, I do find the cameo alot more amusing.

Favourite Sonic Cameos:

I'll have to go with the Donkey Kong Country 2 shoes appearance.... It is quite oil to see that Nintendo and EEGA really were having good digs at each other, even incorporating them into the games. The little 'No Hopers' sign seals it, too. It really cracks me up.

I also loved getting the Sonic eggs in Billy Hatcher, those were always good to see. Neat little cameo, nice touch.

Simple, this one.

In Daytona USA on the Three-Seven Speedway track, Sonic makes a nice little appearance. He's carved into the side of a mountain, making this TECHNICALLY Sonic's first 3D appearance...I know, not EXACTLY, but it's his first cameo in a 3D game.

Daytona.png

He even changes into Super Sonic when you watch your course in replay mode!

(couldn't find a screenshot showing this...)

Gotta be the Sonic gang showing up in Billy Harcher for me.

The multiplayer was damn hilarious when all four players had managed to get Sonic eggs and were just firing the blue guy off all over the place.

Ooh! Ooh! I wanted to mention one more thing, if this counts...

Sonic was in Toyland Tours at Alton Towers back in the 90s.

http://youtu.be/hnesUebUovk?t=2m54s

I remember being really pissed off on this ride as my younger sister wanted to go on it, and I thought it was for little kids.... then I saw this and I was super happy! A nice surprise! biggrin.png

I mean, the model is kinda sorta a bit scary because it has a mouth on both sides(!) and he has the AoSTH/SatAM spikes; as like a mohawk rather than a full back-covering of spikes. The new model they have now at Sonic Spinball is much nicer (have they fixed his nose yet?!), but yknow... this was the 90s! :P

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this one.

NacionalTrophy.jpg

In 1993, SEGA sponsored the entire Formula 1 European Grand Prix, in Donington Park, which in that year became known as the SEGA European GP. Besides the logos all over the track, the first place trophy was an unique Sonic statue, which went to Ayrton Senna, the Brazilian racer from the Mclaren-Ford constructor. The trophy's current location is unknown, but it was certainly a marking moment for Sonic marketing; it was also coincidentally one of the most memorable moments of that season, when Senna overtook 4 racers in the first lap (including Alain Prost and Damon Hill). Definitely the best Sonic appearance out of his own media.

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 24: Favourite Sonic cameo?

Has to be the progressive ad. Despite how terribly Sonic is worked into the spot (seriously ad writers, you had one job), the animation is lovely and it makes the commercial charming enough. Er... not much else i can say on this; I haven't seen too many of the blue dude's cameos unfortunately!

The two bigs ones for me were from The Simpsons episode "Marge Be Not Proud" and the Daytona track.

The Simpsons used to be my favourite show on T.V. and this episode aired when Sonic was still riding pretty high on his original wave of popularity. True, some people may knock the episode now, but its still far far better than the dross that has been broadcast after Series 8. So, as a young kid, loving both Sonic and The Simpsons, to see the that happen was the most brilliant thing to happen in the history of everything.

Every arcade worth its salt had a Daytona machine back in the day, and driving towards a mountain to see a chilled out Sonic engraved in rock was also pretty badass. Even after the initial surprise, every time I played that track I looked forward to that one corner.

EDIT - that Formula 1 photo reminds me that Arsenal were sponsored by Sega and Dreamcast in 2000. I could have sworn I saw a photo of the players posing with Dreamcasts in their hands, stood next to Sonic...but the only photos I can find have been cropped to focus on the players.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned this one.

NacionalTrophy.jpg

In 1993, SEGA sponsored the entire Formula 1 European Grand Prix, in Donington Park, which in that year became known as the SEGA European GP. Besides the logos all over the track, the first place trophy was an unique Sonic statue, which went to Ayrton Senna, the Brazilian racer from the Mclaren-Ford constructor. The trophy's current location is unknown, but it was certainly a marking moment for Sonic marketing; it was also coincidentally one of the most memorable moments of that season, when Senna overtook 4 racers in the first lap (including Alain Prost and Damon Hill). Definitely the best Sonic appearance out of his own media.

I don't know about ya'll, but to me it looks like even Sonic the Statue himself is shedding and trying to hold back a tear, based on how the light is hitting the statue.

Day 24: Favourite Sonic Cameos

The popularity of a character is reflected in the point of view of not only the franchise or the show where he/she belongs but also on other ones where, unexpectedly, they are featured as cameos. Sonic has had a really good share of special appearances in other video games but also on TV shows and movies, comics, and many other spots in the media. While most of his appearances outside of his home franchise have been in other forms of media, I can mention a special cameo featured in a real life sport, namely Formula 1, and more specifically taking place at...

donington-93.jpg

The XXXVIII Sega European Grand Prix (1993 European F1 Grand Prix)

As a die-hard Sonic fan, big Sega fan and Formula 1 enthusiast I couldn't hide my surprise back when I knew about this for the first time. The 1993 European Grand Prix celebrated at Donington Park (Leicestershire, UK) was known not only for being a race where legendary racer Ayrton Senna took a splendid victory under bad weather conditions but also for being the first and only Grand Prix with Sega as its official sponsor. Sega had a prominent presence throughout the race, from the starting grid to the podium ceremony, and of course this gave the company a marvelous spot to promote their mascot Sonic The Hedgehog: he was on the starting grid, on some of the advert boards, and even on the winner's trophy.

sonic_formula_06.jpg

As seen in the picture, Ayrton Senna was raising a trophy statue of a joyful and teary-eyed Sonic holding a gold trophy while standing under an enormous Sega logo. While the myth states that Senna was awarded with this trophy, unfortunately, that wasn't the real cup for the winner as seen on the next picture.

1993europepodium23oy.jpg

Nevertheless, this sponsorship was one of the many Sega did to raise their awareness and the popularity of the Blue Blur. Aside from the Grand Prix sponsorship, Sega also partnered with F1 Williams Team for the 1993 season. Williams Team drivers' at the time Alain Prost and Damon Hill sported blue suits with the Sega logo on its back and sleeves, helmets with Sonic himself on its top, and their cars had the Sega logo, Sonic himself and an interesting image of Sonic's legs and snickers plastered on the sides of the cockpit; that image adhered to the sides of the car mixed with the driver on board wearing blue gave an impression of the Blue Blur being the one racing on board instead.

alain_prost_damon_hill_sonic_the_hedgeho

All in all, the fact that not only Sega but Sonic himself was featured in one of the greatest racing sports in the world during the first half of the 90s was one of the many moments where Sega had a prominent presence in the United Kingdom and across Europe; not to mention, Sega had its share of Formula 1 games as well, so their sponsorship within this sport was just spot on.

You can find more pictures of Sonic being featured in the event and Williams Team under the quote tag. You can also find recordings of the actual race on YouTube if you want to spot all the aforementioned cameos and references, but I have left a clip past the spoiler tag.

__00williams00e4e.jpg

sonic_formula01.jpg

sonic_formula03.jpg

sonic_formula02.jpg

sonic_formula04.jpg

sonic_formula07.jpg

sonic_formula06.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwLEE420v20

EDIT: Just noticed Dr Homem's post right after I left my post. Good to know there are more people out there who know about this cameo! =) Also, forgot to give a proper introduction to the question itself as I have been doing throughout the challenge. It's all done now!

Edited by Kaabiitorori
  • Thumbs Up 3

Day 24: Favorite Sonic non smash and Wreck It Ralph Cameo.

Hmm, i can't actually remember all that many cameos from our little blue Hedgehog, most of my memorable ones are the Simpsons Episode when Bart steals the Videogame, the Shenmue Capsule toys and the Billy Hatcher SEGA eggs!

However my favorite is one I am surprised no one else in the UK has mentioned!

The Sonic the Hedgehog Balloon that appeared multiple times at the Bristol Balloon Fiesta (and im sure other places too)

balloon%20festival.jpg

This was a really big event and still is. I used to go every year with my family when I lived down there. It goes on for four days in August with mass balloon lift off's early and at 6pm every day and on the opening and third day there is a "night glow" where the balloons light up to music. each day there is live music from pretty big acts as well as hundreds of stalls and attractions in the area. This was a really big marketing move from SEGA, its a shame the balloon had to be grounded due to a very large hole appearing in one of the ears.

• Thumbs Up 2

Simpsons game Sonic cameo!

maxresdefault.jpg

Yeah sure he looks like a drunk and drugged out version of Sonic the hedgehog, but I thought his cameo in the Simpsons game was quite funny. Some of his quotes, uttered in the Enter the Cheatrix stage, are perfect because at the time of this game's release (2007) Sonic was in the dark ages and the things he said were SO true at the time. Of course today these jokes might be a bit mean, but I still laugh at them because it reminds me of those "good ol days" when being a Sonic fan was pretty crappy. Anyway, here's some of the things he said;

"I used to be so...fast."

"Aww I can't spin anymore, my back!"

"I forget why I hate Eggman so much..."

"That Shadow version of me, nicest guy in the world...misunderstood..."

"Even I remember that the nineties were so great..."

Edit: Lol Indigo Rush, just before I posted it too. XP

Edited by Gabz Girl
  • Thumbs Up 1

Megas XLR: Thansgiving Throwdown (2004):

Auggie_The_Aardvark.png

Taking place during a Thanksgiving Day parade; one of the floats, Aussie the Adoarable Aardvark, comes to life and starts causing chaos and fights Coop. Aussie, of course is Sonic and even performs the Spindash.

I had to watch this episode just because of this. This is too beautiful.

The fact his name is pronounced "Oggy" makes it kind of awkward for me though. XD

i dont see that many. so its hard to answer this qestion. the only one i see is the progressive commercel and i really like it because of Sonic. i love to see Sonic and he was running and they say "slow down" haha

Question #24: What's your favourite Sonic cameo?

Oh, this one's easy.

The cameo I'm gonna mention was the first one I ever saw, it's FC Sonic from Virtua Striker 3.

kueOUqw.png

When I was like 7, I went to a local mall that at the time was always pretty crowded. Near the restaurants, there was this place inside a glass room or whatever that had some arcade machines and one of them was Virtua Striker 3.

I don't think that I ever played, I just liked to seat around and watch other people play and one time I was watching some dudes playing a football game and when the teams were entering the stadium I saw something weird, yet familiar: Sonic and a bunch of giant blue angel-like dudes.

Apparently, FC Sonic is a unlockable team that features Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy, Eggman and a bunch of Chao.

As far as I know, there are other unlockable joke teams featuring Sega characters and other weird stuff.

Shoutouts to other cameos I saw by myself, including Hatsune Miku's Sonic costume in Project DIVA extend and Sega's billboard in Gran Turismo 6.

• Thumbs Up 2

I'll have to go with the Progressive commercial. I figure Sonic is getting insurance either for the Tornado or for his Extreme Gear.

Day 24

This is technically up for debate but it's hard to believe it wasn't intentional. Sonic's set up shop in GTA5's Los Santos.

gtson_zpsca6d7bfe.png

Just noticed the closing down banners on the shop window. Inb4 Sonic is doomed etc.

Day 24: Favourite Sonic Cameos

The Simpsons Game (2007)

Mario-and-Sonic-in-the-Simpsons.png

I'm sure this has been mentioned buuuuuuuut. In this pretty great game, the sixth level is called "Enter the Cheatrix" and Sonic appears in this level. Spouting lines such as: "I miss the 90's, everybody loved me then", "I forget why I hated Eggman so much" and even "That Shadow version of me. Nicest guy in the world. Completely misunderstood".

• Thumbs Up 1

DAY 24 What's your favourite Sonic-related cameo... APART from Super Smash Bros. and Wreck-It Ralph?

I really like that cameo in an early Simpsons episode, where Sonic (well, a depiction of him) is among the video game characters who convince Bart to steal a game from the store. If I remember correctly, he was kind of...demonic, frankly, especially the voice. Oddly enough, I can't find a clip of it on Youtube...but there's this!

Simpsonssonic.jpg

I like this one, it's very funny, and it's such an odd yet funny depiction of sonic. The episode itself is good too.

The progressive ad was a nice surprise when I first saw it, I wasn't expecting to see sonic in an advert that wasn't for his own games.

His Macy's day parade appearances are always nice, and like the progressive ad, his 2012 appearance wasn't something I was expecting.

PRESIDENT CROW'S DAY 24 OF MAKING CAMEOS!

Well this is a no brainer for me!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXenxwdkaMk

Zodick the Helldog from Illbleed!

I can't stress this enough. Illbleed is hands down my favorite Dreamcast game of all time, mostly because there isn't a game quite like this. You'll fight parodies of horror movie icons, encounter strange plots, and have one of most unique experiences in all of gaming. It starts off with our heroine Eriko who gives a speech about psychology and afterwords her group of friends dares her to go into this supposedly haunted amusement park and Eriko turns them down. They run off and disappear, leaving Eriko to get them out of the park.

So that's the whole plot about Illbleed. Going off into horror movie parodies and running and/or fighting strange enemies while trying to survive yourself. Where Zodick comes in is basically when the entire game said "fuck it! Let's do something completely different!" Everything about Toyhunter's level doesn't make sense. Basically Cork goes off to save his girlfriend Sexy Doll from Zodick who is a parody of Sonic obviously to the point where he spews out rings when he's hit. But he's so awesome looking that you wouldn't think Sega was making fun of themselves, if he was an official Sonic character he would definitely be my favorite character.

I will have to admit its such a shame everyone only knows this one game from this one cameo when the entire game is pretty wacky in its own right. You guys should check it out sometime, its worth checking out. PRESIDENT CROW OUT!

• Thumbs Up 3

outgames_1.jpg

I remember seeing Daytona USA one day when roaming through an arcade. You know how it is, when you're shoving quarters into the local Pac-Man.. good times. 

This definitely got me interested in the game, I'll say. :P I got so excited when I saw him there on the mountainside. Needless to say, it's an amazing game!

And speaking of racers..

Waverunner.png

I remember Sega WaveRunner from when it was at the old Chuck E. Cheese. Great game! Just like Daytona USA, I realized Sonic was on this guy's back and decided to give it a whirl. Funny how it came out in 1996 but somehow had Sonic's head resemble the modern design a bit..

• Thumbs Up 2

Day Of the Cameo

Ok... I'm going to post something that isn't really my favourite cameo... but it's a cameo that virtually nobody else has heard of or seen, in fact to my knowledge theres no video or pictures of it.

So I'm gonna mention it because it always makes me smile.

Has... or is anyone familiar... with this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmdLV_CmePE

Dr Zitbags Transylvania Pet Shop

This was a kids show which ran in the UK and I think in France back in the 90's. It wasn't very good, but it had it's moments. 

The problem is that there has never been a DVD release of the entire series, there also has never been a VHS release of the series, the show is so unknown that there isn't a full episode list online anywhere, and what little information there is can't decide what the last episode of series 1 was.

However in one episode, one of the rare episodes I remember. Zitbag was excited because his favourite videogame character had a new game out...

Guess who it was?

Cosmic Der Warthog

Yes, there was a monster version of Sonic in this cartoon show, for some reason I think he was purple... anyway. Zitbag gets the game, takes it home, starts to play and then for some reason, is transported inside a videogame universe. He meets monster versions of Mario, Pac-Man and a bunch of other characters.

Oddly, he doesn't meet Sonic/Cosmic der warthog, I remember being annoyed at that.

So urm... anyone else seen this one?

• Thumbs Up 1

So urm... anyone else seen this one?

I don't remember where or how, but amazingly, I have seen that one.