Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Little does Indigo know that I've already sold his house to the French.

• Thumbs Up 6

Let me make my stake first before Dr. Crusher changes the question.

Top four favorite game tunes from my favorite top 3 games:

Sonic 3 & Knuckles

Ice Cap - A special call out for this tune. There's a reason this song is one of the most remixed Sonic BGMs, if not the most remixed game BGM out there. It's melody is catchy, memorable, and hell in someways flexible. This one song intrigues so many remixers out there, they've made various other remixes of it, each with different similarities and variations there of, with this remix from NemesisTheory in particular standing out as my favorite out of all of them to this day. (by the way, she's made THREE more remixes of different intensity and tones for those who want to listen) People call this tune overrated? I say there's a reason it's so well known and liked. It all matches the icy landscape that your snowboarding and crusing in, and you can just feel the chills of this song either relaxing you, blanketing you, or stabbing you with the frozen sensations the tunes are trying to invoke.

Lava Reef - another interesting tune, mixing a clashing sensation of either intensity or ambiance in the game. You're deep in a volcano, with lava gushing and flowing around the rocks you on. It may not be as remixed as Ice Cap, but it's got a similar memorable feel to it that can invoke a fear of a volcano about to violently erupt, or the chill feeling as the lava cools and hardens as you make your way to a shrine seeing the beautiful crystals and hearing them ring and vibrate as you venture further.

Sky Sanctuary - this one just invokes a majestic, awe inspiring feeling as you ascend to the heavens. To say nothing of how Generations did it justice in the Modern version by giving it some bounce with a bass guitar in the background.

Angel Island - I love the bouncy jungle feeling of this tune as you first make your way onto the island. There's really not much I can say beyond that.

Sonic Adventure 2

City Escape - Okay, so this was obvious. But come on, it's like the song is encouraging you to run around racing through traffic as fast as you can!

Aquatic Mine - There's this chill feeling that I love about this tune. So relaxing as the song's lyrics try to make clear. Now the lyrics could be better, but I think it goes without saying that it's really relaxing regardless.

Dry Lagoon - Bossa Nova tunes are among my favorite genre, and I just love the soothing feel of this tune even as I listen to the "aahs" and "oohs" of the music.

Final Chase - take City Escape, put it in space, and make it more rapid and intense. That basically sums of the feelings invoked in this tune.

Sonic Adventure

Sky Deck - racing around the undersides, the wings, and the interior of the Egg Carrier as you soar thousands of feet in the air. The kind of rapid sensation that matches it perfectly as you try to break you way to the upper part of the Egg Carrier like those of the previous tunes above.

Final Egg - this one has a lot of variety to it. I can't really put my mind on it, but I guess it has something to do with it being the last stage as far as Sonic's story goes.

Lost World - this certainly has a "lost" feeling to it as you explore the inner regions of the ancient ruins. The kind of ethnic and tribal feel that makes the exploration that much more atmospheric and awe-like.

Twinkle Park - It's a carnival stage. A lighthearted, starry sounding tune as you explore...wherever the hell the park is situated inside the place you reach it from.

~SSMB Has Cleared Music Zone Macrocephalous Act 23!~

What's wrong, members...

Question #24: What's your favourite Sonic-related cameo... APART from Super Smash Bros. and Wreck-It Ralph?

tony-stark.jpg

"The truth is... Crusher doesn't think that King Sombra is a bad villain."

When something becomes popular, it has a higher chance of making plenty of unexpected appearances in other bits of media. Sonic the Hedgehog as a series is certainly popular, so cameo appearances were inevitable. He - as well as his friends and enemies - have appeared in non-Sonic games, non-Sonic cartoons, and the odd non-Sonic commercial, among other non-Sonic things. No beating around the bush for this one: What's your favourite Sonic cameo?

Note: If you're wondering why I excluded Super Smash Bros. and Wreck-It Ralph, that's because of my usual attempts to have more variation within the answers. It's nothing personal by any means. Also, in the case of Smash Bros, Sonic himself happens to be playable, and I wasn't completely sure about a fully playable appearance constituting as a simple cameo.

Crusher's Thoughts: This is definitely the one that I remember the most, partly due to that wascally nostalgia.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 4

#24:

Favorite Sonic cameo?

The Simpsons episode "That 90's Show"

College kids, Homer and Marge, are talking with each other and Homer points to a billboard of Sonic proposing to Amy with a ring.

MarrySonicSimpsons.jpg

• Thumbs Up 7

I haven't looked out for too many cameos so I don't know that many off hand. Out of the ones I do know, Shenmue has a cute one. You can 'win' Sonic the Fighters figures from a gacha machine 'in-game'. It's nothing massive, but it does give the then-recent Sonic game some free advertisement as well as generally being a little nugget for Sonic fans who decided to support SEGA with other IPs in their arsenal.

Edit: Here's a whole video of the cameo for reference.

• Thumbs Up 2

Okay I'll take a swing at this

Although I will omit Sonic Generations from this list right off the bat. While that game would rank in my top 5, I feel like it kind of cheats by having so many awesome remix's in its soundtrack. Rather that just run down that road, I'd much rather give credit where it is due to some of the other games in the series.

Sonic Unleashed

So many cultural and ethnic tunes to jam in this one. Its almost too hard to pick out my favorites, but I think there are a few that Stand above the rest

Jungle Joyride (day) - best tune in the game. The fast beat and spirited refrain puts you right in the mood for this epic stage. Pulse pounding and pure sex to the eardrum.

Dragon Road (day) - culturally pleasing and has an odd by charming pulse to it. Not elite, but very memerable and very fitting.

Arid Sands (day) - extensively cultural and extremely memorable, Sharmar's BGM just flat out rocks.

Savannah Citidel (day) - wild and fun. A great combo of unusual instruments and very representative of the difficulty and local of the stage. Great times.

Cool Edge (night) - smooth and calm, easy listing.

Sonic 3 and Knuckles

Lots of good stuff here too. Some of the most iconic tunes in the series on display

Ice Cap Zone - Speaking of iconic tunes, this sucker might be one of the few that could spitball in the same league as green hill zone. It would probably loose that fight, but thats still worth some bragging rights

Balloon Park - drilled into my head after countless hours of multiplayer bliss. nuff said.

Flying Battery Zone - Nice techno instrument set with a small dose of epic. Fits the mood and is really memorable to boot.

Sandopolis Zone - Nice and spooky, with a special shout out to the Act 2 arrangements. Always in for a good time when that tune starts playing  lol 

Doomsday - Another wildly iconic tune that cranks the epic up to 12. Perfect Song for the final showdown

Sonic Adventure 2

All of Knuckles stages

Pumpkin Hill - Love how silly it is and I love pushing Knuckels through his paces with this in the Background.

Metal Harbor - Quirky and quick, its very appealing and sets a great mood.

Final Rush - Epic tune for an outer space rocket ride. High tempo and heavy on the guitar to set the mood.

Radical Highway - Might be one of the fastest paced BGMs with an incredible swipe of refrains and an edgy hardcore rock-your-hair-out kind of vibe.

City Escape - Do I need to even explain this one? Its so cheesy it just works.

Sonic Rush

Most of the soundtrack is all over the place, but that's why they are so great.

Wrapped in Black (Exception) - Incredibly epic, nice usage of a chorus aria and a nice combination of light and dark elements to catch your attention

What U need (Dead Line) - Very catchy and groove worthy. Love the refrains.

Back2Back (Water Palce) - Hard not to like this one. Aggressive trails with passive middles to easy you into the song and the action packed stage.

Ethno Circus (Mirage Road) - Campy and fun. Just brings a smile to your face and even a touch of cultural instruments.

Right there, Right on (Leaf Storm) - A nice intro stage tune. Really sets the mood for what yo expect from this crazy soundtrack

Sonic 2

Best music is in the best game.

Mystic Cave - Hands down no contest best BGM in the franchise. Forget GHZ, Forget Ice Cap, Forget every other stage in the franchise. This song, THIS SONG is the single greatest thing that can ever bless your ears with its presence.

Chemical Plant - get on this list by piggy backing on its Generations music. That game did something special with this one, but the original deserves most of the credit.

Oil Ocean - exceedingly fitting and a real mood setter. love the flow.

Metropolis Zone - great industrial vibe and a nice combination of elements.

Aquatic Ruin - another stunner, with a catchy beat and groovy vibe. I could get down to this one all day. 

Sheesh, that took a while

EDIT: #$%^&*() I'm too late. *cries*

That insurance advert was a pretty damn awesome Sonic cameo;

Fans often ask "Why is he looking for insurance?"

Doesn't Tails' near-constant crashing of his biplane ring a bell?

Anyways, this is awesome. He's well-animated and the ad is overall very charming.

Honorable mention goes to Sonic's cameo in the Three-Seven Speedway in Daytona USA which is a pretty cool one;

Daytona.png

If you watch the replay, he will turn into Super Sonic :D

• Thumbs Up 9

Day 24: Favorite thing with Sonic in it that isn't a Sonic thing.

I love this one in particular:

samba-sonic.jpg

Sonic appearing in the Wii Remake of Samba de Amigo

I mean, come on. Sonic gettin' down to Mambo #5? You gotta admit, that's pretty damn awesome. Sonic needs to be in more rhythm games. I'm actually a bit sad that there hasn't really been a full-fledged Sonic rhythm game...It'd really fit his style, and all the music choices that are possible...maaaaaaaaaaan.

Speaking of which:

diva_module_aug_mik_sonicstyle_03.jpg

Who could forget Miku's adorable Sonic Hoodie from the Project DIVA series?

• Thumbs Up 5

Question #24: What's your favourite Sonic-related cameo... APART from Super Smash Bros. and Wreck-It Ralph?

1924682_678734782188023_3217449700070246

This was in a episode of Steven Universe

• Thumbs Up 9

Well there's only one more I can think of at the moment (besides that horrendous Progressive commercial):

tumblr_lher95ExPK1qdtw9eo1_400.png

Yup, those are Sonic's discarded shoes by the trash, along with a blaster (Earthworm Jim's I think). Not sure how to elaborate on this, but for those that don't know, this is one of the end screens for Donkey Kong Country 2. I love this image because it paints a beautiful picture of the SEGA and Nintendo rivalry that once was.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really look for cameos that much so i don't really know any. However, i like the one that crusher posted and maybe the one FireBird75 posted.

I also like the insurance ad. That one is a pretty good Sonic cameo.

My favorite Sonic related cameo that's not Smash Bros or Wreck-it Ralph?

Well there was that one song that had Shadow dancing and shit...

I think it was called Tripod Baby, I think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfTWj6-o-OU

I just find it hilarious on how Shadow would appear this out of all the other characters, it was Shadow.

Then again, it was probably due to the time when Shadow's game was around and the such.

Yeah the music video is weird as hell then again, that seems to be a norm with J-Pop.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think Christmas NiGHTS Into Dreams lets you play as Sonic. While I may not be fond of the game itself much, that's the first thing that came to mind.

There's also that Progressive commercial that I totally forgot about until Verte brought it up in this topic.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 24: Fast Hedgehog in Non-Fast Hedgehog Thing

I can think of two that I'm very fond of, actually. Sonic cameos are always neat, but these ones stick out to me.

I really like that cameo in an early Simpsons episode, where Sonic (well, a depiction of him) is among the video game characters who convince Bart to steal a game from the store. If I remember correctly, he was kind of...demonic, frankly, especially the voice. Oddly enough, I can't find a clip of it on Youtube...but there's this!

Simpsonssonic.jpg

I also love the Progressive ad! The music choice put a big grin on my face. Also the end with Sonic running past their logo was a nice touch, most likely a nod to classic Sonic games that did the same with the SEGA logo.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 24: My Favorite Sonic Cameo

I'll go with one I found purely by chance while channel-surfing:

640px-MAD-Ep60-Sonic.png

MADTV did this skit that merged "Diary of a Wimpy Kid" with video game characters. Sonic and Eggman both made appearances. It was actually pretty funny!

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic_in_JGR.png

Sonic Adventure Uekawa art was available to download from the internet for Jet Set Radio to be used as custom graffiti tags, as well as a Sonic billboard showing up in the ending sequence.

Spyro_sonic_2.jpg

Not exactly Sonic cameo, but the mention of a "blue hedgehog" in Spyro Year of the Dragon after turning down Money Bag's gem proposition.

Bspikers.jpg

AM2's Beach Spikers game had a giant Sonic Statue holding a volleyball on the final court.

Billy2.jpg

Sonic also made an appearance in Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg as an unlockable animal buddy when certain conditions were met to unlock the special "Sonic Team" Egg's in the stages, he uses a sort of blue boost wave as an attack.

Outgames_46.jpg

OutRun 2006 Coast to Coast arcade had a city section to run through, in which there are Sonic banners on ever lampost and depending on how quick you were, also a Sonic Statue at the side of the road!

Psu_sonic_and_tails.jpg

Every anniversary for Sonic, SEGA celebrate by making Sonic, Tails and Knuckles as interact-able characters in Phantasy Star online's lobby, if I remember rightly there's still a giant Sonic statue in the lobby, as pictured above.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 24: Favourite Cameo

Mine is probably from Scott Pilgrim Volume 2: Scott Pilgrim vs the World. There is a dramatic battle going on between Knives and Ramona but where is Scott? At home, making a call to Wallace asking for the Sonic 3 level select code. I think if you look at the screen he's watching it even has Angel Island zone on it. This reference made me laugh because we have all forgotten those codes at some point and hey look, its Sonic 3!

• Thumbs Up 3

Zone 24: Sonic Cameos

Hmm.. I'm not sure if I have a particular favorite, but I do have some rare cameos that I picked up as a kid!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYsIFk4d3a8

I think the Billy Hatcher one may be my favorite. I just love seeing Sonic characters in other SEGA games. Warms my heart, it does.

• Thumbs Up 3

Spyro_sonic_2.jpg

Not exactly Sonic cameo, but the mention of a "blue hedgehog" in Spyro Year of the Dragon after turning down Money Bag's gem proposition.

Ooooooooh, that's another good one. Should have remembered that one.

My favorite non-SSB-or-WiR Sonic cameo actually takes me back to some fun times on the old Gamecube:

Yep, the legendary Sonic Eggs from Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg. For those unaware, Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg was a platforming adventure game developed by Sonic Team in 2003 in which you played a boy and his friends trying to take back the light of day from evil crow monsters. To do this, you rolled several different eggs around and used them to solve puzzles, defeat enemies, and even hatch cute little helper monsters. How do the Sonic Eggs fit into this? Well, amongst the regular helper eggs are several rarer silver eggs with a Sonic Team logo on them. Hatch one to unleash a Sega superstar helper! From Kapu Kapu to NiGHTS to Amigo, the cameos are simply a Sega nerd's dream come true. Plus, that's not even mentioning the Sonic franchise's presence in them! Literally HALF of the cameos are Sonic ones, allowing you to unleash the powers of Sonic, Tails, Knux, or even a Chao at unsuspecting avian foes. As for the rarity aspect, you may be able to find certain Sonic Eggs in the single player mode in certain spots in levels after collecting a certain number of coins, but me and my sis got the MOST fun out of them in the multiplayer mode! There, all Sonic Eggs are available regardless of unlockable progress and their contents are random, so you never know which cameo you'll stumble upon in a heated battle match. I know that whenever my sister and I played this mode, the second that we saw that logo, we'd both run to claim the awesome reward buried deep within. *Sighs dreamily* Y'know, talking about it for the first time in forever really makes me want to bust out that game and play it again. Bye, guys! *Runs off*

Illbleed is an absolutely insane game that you should watch (but probably not play because it's actually kind of clunky and poorly designed). It says a lot that the giant, demonic Sonic knockoff is among the least insane things in the game.

4K2nsHW.png

This is Zodick the Hellhog, apparent ruler of Toy Hell, kidnapper of Sexy Doll, and enemy of our Indiana Jones parodying hero, Cork.

Except not really, kind of, since this is all just a theme park attraction and Zodick is just a giant animatronic puppet.

He'll still kill you though, if you aren't careful, and it's only by the mercy laziness of the park employees that you are able to defeat him allowed to leave without fighting him another 9 times, because they set the difficulty too high by mistake.

• Thumbs Up 8

Day 24

Hmmm, about the Fighting Vipers hidden appearance in the arcade version, even if it takes a little to acess it, that was one of Sonic's earliest(if not the earliest) 3D appearances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=g3_SXS73SQA

24/30 or 4/5ths of the way!

Day 24 Challenge: Favorite Sonic cameos
23/30 Challenges Completed

rsz_90s_boulevard.png

Sonic cameo's are best cameo's!

Ah, Sonic... Such a popular video game character... There's actually a few cameo's of Sonic that I seen and enjoyed, but I had to refresh my memories a bit for some help. Out of all the cameo's Sonic had, I really have to go with this one. 

scene-3.jpg

Segagaga (Dreamcast parody game)

Why this one? Well, to start off things, Segagaga was a game released exclusively in Japan for the SEGA Dreamcast on March 29th, 2001. It's suppose to be a parody of the commercial failure Dreamcast system. You're recruited by SEGA in a last-ditch effort to stop the evil DOGMA company from taking over the console market. With a game like this, you're bound to see many SEGA characters and hear many SEGA references. 

Now with that all out the way, I find this mostly hilarious because as you can tell from the picture, it shows Sonic looking all serious and cool and Alex Kidd in the back just looking dumbfounded. You already know that Sonic pretty much just walked in there and stole Alex Kidd spotlight and became the official mascot for SEGA, and it's really just hilarious. 

Honorable Mentions

• Sonic in the Progressive commercial: I would always stop what I was doing every single time this commercial came on. It helped even more that I had some people on Facebook always telling me that they seen the commercial on TV. I was quite a proud Sonic fan. 

• Sonic Macy's Thanksgiving Parade: For these last few years of Sonic being in the parade, I always wake up very early to catch it on TV and talk with a few online friends about the entire event + commercials until Sonic is shown. Very excited to see Sonic floating in the air on my TV. I just slightly wish that Splash Hill Zone music wasn't used instead of Green Hill Zone music, but whatever. I'll live. 

• Sonic in Billy Hatcher: I'm not sure if I ever got the Sonic egg or whatever, but seen some gameplay of Sonic on Youtube and it's sweet that he can attack enemies. 

• Shadow dancing to M-Flo music: This is truly a classic one. It never gets old watching this Japanese commercial. Then again, M-Flo music is pretty great. 

SEGAGAGAG.png
You better know your place, Alex Kidd. 
24/30 Challenges Completed

• Thumbs Up 7

...Wasn't that one of the gifs in the Dumb Running Sonic meme that happened a while back? Because I swear to god it was.

Anyway, favorite cameo would have to be this one right here;

I like Progressive's commercials, alright? (Flo ftw) And the fact that they actually were able to get a Sonic cameo makes this one all the more awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Before I begin, I need to address this. 

GOTTA_GO_FAST.gif

Marking out.

Ahem..anywho; I don't a favorite per-se, but I do have two I want to add that are interesting to me.

Radmobile.gif

This is the first; and this comes from a 1991 SEGA Genesis title called Rad Mobile. What makes this interesting to me is that this was actually Sonic's first appearance in a video game of any kind, even before his own.

The second has to be this:

04_pilgrim_2.jpg

Scott Pilgrim had its fair share of Sonic cameos, definitely showing how much of a Sonic fan O'Reiley is. 

• Thumbs Up 1