Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Day 25: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

I guess I haven't gotten particularly close to people ba-.... wait.

I guess I haven't gotten particularly close to people based on a mutual liking for Sonic. I mean I'm on good terms with most of the people here (probably), and there are a lot of posters I like, but I don't know if I'd call them "friends." Guess I'm sort of a distant user here who doesn't get more involved with members. I also don't really talk about it outside this forum- not for any particular reason, mind you. It just doesn't come up that often. 

*cue sad Hulk walking away music*

Yeah pretty much what he said. Not trying to be lazy here, this describes me to a tee. Me personally, I take the concept of a 'friend' pretty heavily. While I've met a lot of people who I've grown very friendly with and have gotten to know well (not specifically people here mind), I wouldn't exactly call it a friendship; not because I don't like those people, but because I kinda don't like to think of myself has being that close to them. Maybe it's a self-esteem issue, but I guess I just don't like being too forward with people if the feeling isn't mutual.

That said, I like to believe there are some people here who consider me a friendly acquaintance.

Day 25: Sonic pals.

Lets start off and say Sonic was an early foundation with my best friend. We'd known each other in school for years but never really chatted much. Then after I fell out of the cool kid group I talked to him instead. We talked on how cool the Gamecube lookedand with it, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle. When I got it we bonded heavily over the two player races. We still laugh about those days. He helps me voice my Sonic cartoons now, voicing Mephiles notably. Thanks Adventure 2.

Also I came here in 2006. I know I'm not the most outspoken, popular or funniest guy here but I've seen a lot of people come and go. It can really make you think how long it can last. I have to say though, there are people here I trust. Lady Soniko, Doctor MK and much more will be thanked for what's been said in the past. I go to SoS every year now and chat to people, sometimes recognising them from here ( I remember a funny meeting with Nemain in 2012). Thanks guys, your a constant presence a lonely guy like me needs.

• Thumbs Up 3

#25:

There was one friend I had in middle school (and first year of high school) who was also a Sonic fan.  For some reason, I never saw him again after my freshman year (I think he moved).

That's about it.

Day 25: Mah Sanic Buddies

OHHHH YOU 'BOUT TO GET ME STARTED ON THIS ONE. YOU. 'BOUT. TO. GET ME STARTED. ON THIS ONE.

Alright, now where the flippity floop do I begin on this one?

You know what? I'ma hit this shit straight from the top. The VERY beginning of my Sonic days.

Rewind to '98. Age 4. Had some neighbors living about two houses down from mine. Sound familiar? If you remember my post in this topic during the "First Sonic game you ever beat" day, then yeah, this is where it started. The two little neighbor kids (both of which were actually older than me) had a Sega Saturn, and the first game I ever remember them playing was Sonic R. I saw it and was like "HOLY CRAP IT LOOKS SO NEW" (because I only had a hand-me-down NES at the time). After they saw that I liked Sonic, they pulled out the biggest wonder of my toddler life: SONIC JAM.

320px-Sonic_Jam_title.png

Oh man, we had so much fun playing this game. After a few weeks, as soon as I came over, they new to pop this game into the Saturn. I loved this game so much and we just sat down and had a ball with it.

Also, just like me, they were big fans of Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog. Whenever we got to watch that, we had some good laughs. We even got to pick characters to "represent" us (you know, the thing that kids do when they're like "yeah that's my character!") I got stuck with Tails though, because I was the youngest haha

MOVIN' ON to....High school. Wow, that's a bigass gap. Anyways, moving on to high school. I had a friend there...well, we actually met in middle school, but I was a total motherfucking moronic asshole-ish dickweed son of a- wait I'm going on a tangent here...THE POINT IS we didn't become friends until high school because of reasons... but yeah we both had a mutual love of Sonic. We played a bunch of games together, like SA2 Battle, Heroes, Sonic R, and Tails Skypatrol (yes Skypatrol. We mostly just laughed at each other dying on the first level over and over again). One time I went to his house and we even watched

SonicanimeVHS.jpg

The Sonic OVA. He had it on DVD so me, him, and his girlfriend at the time (mutual friend of mine, actually I was the one who hooked them up hehehe...) had a little movie night with this awesome piece of animation.

Now, that's the end of...wait...I'm being told that that's NOT the end of it. Oh yeah, how could I forget:

THIS CRAZY MADHOUSE?

-I mean...the good ol' SSMB? I joined here about...two years ago, even though I've been following news on the Sonic Stadium since Heroes came out. Why didn't I join until 2012? Well...there was a little something some of y'all may remember called...

cover.jpg

The Sonic Stadium Music Album 2011. Yeah. I found out there was a Sonic Stadium facebook group and, since I liked the website, joined it in hopes of seeing some more Sonic folks on the interwebs. Our very own VizardJeffhog (who has not been on for awhile ;__; I still miss hiiiiiiiiiiiim) posted a notice in the group about it, and I decided "Hey, I like this random music shit, so why not?" and joined the project. Of course, you had to be a member to join, so here I am. I thought that was gonna be it for my forum adventures, but after the 30 days of video games, I thought "Hey, this place is pretty snazzy" so I decided to stay for a little while longer. I started talking to...not that many people, but then I was chucked into a Skype chat with the other TSS musicians. There, I met Wolfy (who is a cool-ass dude) Stereopixel, Rexy, Faseeh, Aptiva/Double Agent Motobug, Urban Flow, Can of Nothing, and a bunch of other cool music people. Branching off a little, I also met a couple cool people thanks to RadioSEGA's SEGA Mixer Drive show (hosted by Rexy). TCB is one of them. I always like to pop in every now and again to listen to some cool music.

I made quick friends with all of them, especially Aptiva. We chatted a bunch about Sonic and Jet Set Radio and the like, and then a couple months later, he chucked me into a Skype group with MORE Sonic-loving people. Here I met Cola and Azookara. I started off as the quiet kid, and after awhile, I was just as loud and doopy as the rest of 'em. We laughed and made jokes about Sonic and...well...EVERYTHING. I had such a blast with them. Unfortunately I left for personal reasons, but just about every day, I still wonder if they're all doing fine.

So yeah, I owe a lot to Sonic and its music. If it weren't for these two things, I have no idea where I'd be right now. and although I don't talk very much outside of the statuses, I truly do love being here and I hope that day finally comes where I can break out of my shell and make friends with more of you guys.

(holy shit I typed a lot...)

• Thumbs Up 4

PRESIDENT CROW'S DAY 25 OF MAKING FRIENDS WIFF FRIENDS!

Oh boy... I gotta say, without you guys I would be nothing and I consider all of you to be my friends, even if we squabble a lot. But friends go through a lot after all right?

So anyways, how do I contribute to our little community? Well by being the best PRESIDENT OF SSMB possible. Even if I don't contribute to discussion as much as I want, I usually do my best to be an active part of SSMB and when I do I usually try to be that one guy who yells over the top of their lungs in an attempt to being entertaining. I'm not sure if it works or not but it seems that everyone for the most part likes me here and I'm glad to be of service if I do make people laugh.

In short, I say stupid shit and people laugh and we all call it a day, da? I'm really glad I've met all of you so far and its been going great over years since I've joined this board. I could talk a lot about all the people who I've met who has made an impact in my life here but I've humored them plenty of times and I've had fun times here. I hope we can keep these fun times going SSMB, its been an honor.

I hope that answers the question.

• Thumbs Up 6

I feel like by coming here I've made some friends, namely Crusher and Faseeh (through the TSSMA '12 album). Then, when I joined Segatenderations, I made even more friends, like Can of Nothing, ashzone, Ritz, Sadiq and them. So basically the franchise has connected me to a lot of cool people.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 25: How I've made friends in the Sonic Fanbase

It all started way back when I was a wee little 14 year old discovering the realm of social networking. When I first joined Facebook, one of the things I immediately did was join the Sonic the Hedgehog official page, and boy was I surprised to find out that there was an official discussion forum. I quickly began to chat there and this is when I first crossed paths with a man whom we now know as Prince Solaris.

The two of us became fast friends and soon we joined forces to fight the forces of fanboyism and stupidity when two tyrants known as Joey Gardener and CjohnsonSA3 came to oppress the forums with their BS. The two of us reigned victorious, but as time went on, I began to grow tired of the Facebook page and I decided to join the Sega Forums.

I was quite surprised to cross paths with Solaris once more, and it was here that he introduced me to the legends known as Balding Spider, Dr. Crusher, and Discoid. Soon, I became a member of the Patheon known as the Sega Justice League. I still have fond memories of chatting with all the friends I made such as Gaming Misfit and Twilis whenever I wasn't busy with my SJL duties. But sadly, the good times were not meant to last. As more and more fanboys began to join the Sega Forums, the league disbanded as we realized that the forums were no longer worth saving.

But this wasn't the end! Thanks to keeping in touch with formers league members, I was able to stumble upon the paradise known as SSMB. Not only was I able to reunite with my old friends, but I found some new ones such as CSS, Komodin, and Nepethne. And honestly, no other forum feels like heaven.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day #25: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

Well, in real life, I made my two best friends in Arizona by saying I liked their Sonic-related clothing. Ethan with his Sonic shirt, and Jeshua with his Sonic hat and Sonic 2 shirt. Not really an exciting story, but they probably ended up being my best friends ever.

In SSMB, on the other hand,I've made a lot of good friends. I feel like some of the closest that I've made are CakeMiester, Crusher, and Knucklesgirl, but believe me, pretty much everyone else here is awesome too! ^^ (i say "pretty much" because you know there's people that rarely come on here and then there's banned people and yeah) I'd also kinda like to make friends with some of the mods; people like Verte, Homem, and Komodin...a lot of people here, really. The only thing keeping me from really doing that is my shyness... :/

25/30 challenges completed!

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 25~! 8D 

Sonic friends huh? Welll~~~ over on TVTropes I'm close to X2X, through I haven't touched the forum there ever since I came here. xDD;;;;; 

And here I'm friends with Jeffy~, through we haven't spoken in a while and Wooly, who IMs me and never finishes his school work by sending me random things and music and I give him Touhou stuffs in return. He yells at me about me constant reading of stories of guys doing things to each other and not practicing my drawing. I laugh and try to bring him over into the dark side so he has to beat me with sticks to make me stop. We spam faces at each other and have long periods of silence then he yells again wanting a story and I try to write one out for him but I make typos and it confuses him so I stop to cry in a corner while he spams faces back.

Yeah we bring out the silliness in each other. :3

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic friends? Well shit, that's a lot of people to list, lol. T-Man's been one of my best pals for years now, after having met on the SEGA Forums way back when, a non-member friend of mine I met because of a PM he sent me on YouTube after watching my Sonic 06 LP, and the handful of super awesome cool people I'm friends with now thanks to SSMB. I'm happy to have gotten to talk to all of them. :)

If you're badass enough to be a Skype contact, then know you're the fuckin' best. Remember that.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 25: In what way(s) have you made within the Sonic Fanbase?

I've haven't actually made a lot of friends who're fans of the Sonic series during my time. But, I recently I made friends with a guy named Courtney at my college. He's really swell guy who's a big fan of the Sonic series and we talk about the things in the Sonic series and latest news. Me and Courtney hang out and really have fun talking about things, whether it be Sonic or something else. ^^

So far on the forums, the friends I made so far are Dejimon11 and SpaceWarp. But I plan on making more friends on here and getting to know more about them.

Day 25: SANIC FRIENHS

Well geez um

Just from hanging around here, I've met quite a few people I like a lot. And I mean quite a few. I honestly don't know how to mention specific names without feeling like I might be discrediting somebody else. I guess I should give Discoid and Place special mentions because I talk to them both on a pretty regular basis and we've been really good friends for years, but truth be told, I like just about all y'all.

So I guess I'll just post a screenshot of my entire friends list like Celestia did:

8mwtI.jpg

8mwvA.jpg

Yeah, that looks about right C:

• Thumbs Up 6

BBWwoXl.jpg

its a little embarrse i know compare to them but... i am happy to meet alot of people on this site.in real life no one really like Sonic and some hear of it but they dont really like it at all and think its stupid kid thing. on other site i meet people to that was where i find someone i look up to. because of the fandom i do look up to alot of people.

• Thumbs Up 8

Ways I've made friends in the Sonic fanbase...hm...this one's a bit of a toughie, so I'm going to focus on one Sonic-related outlet in particular that I've made quite a few good friends through on SSMB. However, before I get to that, let me chat a bit about my...early history in the Sonic fandom...

Y'see, I wasn't really fully exposed to communities like this until 2005 when I got full access to the internet for the first time. The first site that I visited was knuckleschaotix.info and I quickly became addicted to all of the different information at my disposal. This was where I first learned of Sonic the Comic, the prototype Sonic Crackers game, the concept of fan games and romhacks, and a number of other things that made my Sonic-obsessed little mind go wild.

Some time after that, I came across an earlier version of the board that you now survey and registered as a member (Taking the name "Chaotix12345" after the characters that I had become so interested in following my first fansite visit). However, I think it was safe to say that I was a complete jerk. I was fourteen at the time and since I was both immature and inexperienced with the mere concept of respecting other people's opinions, I quickly found myself banned quicker than you could say "GET LOST!" After several temp bans, my Chaotix12345 account was rightfully permanently banned and I had lost my first personal account on a website to the void of the web. After that, I FINALLY realized that mayyyyyyybe I had come off a bit too strong before and that being a completely rude jerk wasn't the right idea. So, I decided to register another account, this time combining my age at the time with my general love of a certain angsty Hedgehog character to create a new username. Enter: chaoscontrol14! After creating that account, I was a lot more cautious with posts, never overstepped my bounds with rudeness or snippiness, and mostly lurked for what seemed like forever...

2cypuld.jpg

...until I found the Archie thread. Being a longtime fan of the comic, this was the first time I was able to see what was going to happen three or four issues ahead before they even hit the stands! Couple that with preview pages plus linked interviews from artists and writers and I had a great resource on my hands! Slowly but surely, I worked up to posting more often as I got the issues faster than they released to shops (2005 was actually when I started subscribing following my local grocery store gutting their comic selection) and I decided to share the juicy details of certain ones, becoming a reliable source of spoilers for a while before I just sort of...stopped. That was, until...

1q4xzc.jpg

...this little issue found its way to me. StH #216 got into my hands far sooner than ANYONE had anticipated, and when I revealed one key little plot point from the end of it, there was much discussion along with a couple of doubts. (Especially from some peeps over at Bumbleking. I think my favorite was being accused of "total major mondo lies." XD) However, when I provided definite proof, there was no question about it. I had the issue. That was one of the most fun experiences I've ever had in the Sonic community and since, I've been providing spoilers whenever I can to my fellow Archie fans. (Provided digital outlets and other subscribers don't beat me to them, of course. tongue.png) Through this, I've met a ton of really cool people like VEDJ-F, Adamis, Komodin, Dejimon, and quite a few others, so if it weren't for that little unexpected advanced delivery I received, I might not be as social on the forum in general these days! I owe a lot to a random happy accident related to a video game comic book. XD Wrapping this up, I'd like to repost probably the nicest compliment I've received relating to my spoilers:

chaoscontrol14, you are a good man for unfailingly typing up such detailed and unbiased comic summaries, month after month. Those of us who can't easily get hold of the comics but still wish to keep up with them sincerely appreciate it. I most certainly do, anyhow (:

That just made me light up inside when I read it. To know that there were people who actually truly appreciated me just jotting down some text from a comic book every now and then made me feel extremely good and told me then and there that this community was special. That I truly belong here. Apologies for the sappiness, but that's how I really felt. I was that happy. This has been one of my most visited sites on the web for a long, long time and moments like this are why. smile.png

• Thumbs Up 2

I guess I'm with Rusty Spy and Solly; Sonic hasn't particularly led me to making friends. Close acquaintances in the speciality field sure, but not a friend who I'd just casually drop in on (figuratively speaking) and have a conversation with.

...Then again, even in real life I can't really do that at all. It ain't anything personal, I'm just a really anti-social bugger who has always struggled to make friends throughout her entire life.

Although I guess you could say that being in the Sonic community helped me realise that I didn't want to force myself to make friends like my parents had been insisting throughout primary and high school. I'll get closer to certain people without consciously thinking about it.

Most of the people on my friend list here I met through Sonic, while a few (Hazel and Fantasy the Almiqui notably) are people I met elsewhere, it's a small world, etc.

Hazel and Fantasy are two of my best friends, and I bonded with Fantasy in particular over the franchise. I've met Fantasy in real life a couple times and a lot of our first trip together was spent discussing the newly-announced Generations and hanging around the Sonic & Tails Spinner in Adventure City, an arcade in Niagara Falls. This woman looked at us like we were weirdos for obsessing over such a trivial little game, heh.

So it was Summer, 2012. I was in Ireland and I was looking on Google for people saying why the Blaze-goes-to-Rush-from-06 theory is dumb and makes no sense. I chanced upon this place, though I think I saw it yonks before, while looking for pics of Adventure!Mecha Sonic. So then I saw the Pet Peeves topic. Yay, I can complain about stupid Sanic shit! But I didn't join until there was a discussion about wanting the Sol Dimension to merge with Sonic's, and I signed up to say why I don't want that (yeah, Blaze was my fav at the time).

But guess who ultimately didn't participate because he fucked up his e-mail address and didn't realise till a month later :U

Afterwards, I felt more comfortable, joining up with the Serebii Forums (little did I know that the reason I signed up there would be a complete bomb and the members being so antagonistic and dislikeable that I would, 1 year later, leave in disgust and never come back), The Mega Man Universe (of which I'm the only one who edits nowadays, and that feels good. Like, you're the only kid who's playin' with the Lego set), DeviantArt and more recently Tumblr. I even finally had an outlet to share my creations with (not dA though - I rarely update there 'cause I only put up art I deem to be "rly good" - which is rare).

So SSMB helped me socialize online!

As for friends, I've got quite a few: Dr. Crusher, Dr. Homem, Komodin, Super Spindash (seriously we're so alike in a few ways that I think we might be distant brothers), SheWhoRantsTooMuch... You guys are super cool, and I doubt I'd be the same guy without this place!

• Thumbs Up 3

Question #25: In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?

MMi0K5X.jpg

In real life, I met two Sonic's fan, on two different occasion. Of course, one was a friend's friend, and the other a schoolmate in high school. Our shared interest helped bonding, though. But time flew by, and now one lives in Florence and the other in Pisa, so we lost touch.

On the Internet, though?

On the Italian side, I have been a member of a forum called "Sonic Dream" since...2004, I think? A long time, nevertheless. I love those guys, and I consider some of them friends.

On the International side...well. I'm here. SSMB is a wonderful place, full of different people. I won't consider the "friend list" of the board a real proof of friendship with those users, because I'm pretty sure that friendship isn't just calling people "friends". But for some people, like Lime or DaN or FearTear, I'd like to make an exception. Of course, I may forget someone and of this I am deeply ashamed, but "Friendship" is a complicated thing, after all.

• Thumbs Up 2

This question makes me both happy and sad!

Back in the 90s I didn't know any other Sonic fans. I was actually bullied quite a lot because I was a Sonic fan, even back then. My little sister was kinda sorta into the games but she didn't like the comics or cartoons as much as I did. She also would draw stuff, and also got a picture into STC's Graphic Zone but she quickly grew out of it in her teens as she entered a Goth phase! biggrin.png

I however, continued to collect the STC until I was 15.. and I didn't have a Dreamcast so I never saw another Sonic game until my stepdad got SA2 for the Gamecube in 2002, I think....

However I found STCO somehow (I honestly can't remember!), read their comics and joined their forum... and I have been a member ever since, which I think is about 10 years now... I have met some of the Boomers(!) from the forum as several of us met up in 2007 in Birmingham to coincide with Nigel Kitching, Nigel Dobbyn and Richard Elson all being at the same comic convention. And it was awesome. Since then I have gone to a couple of meetups, so I don't know these lovely folks IRL as much as I would like to.

I actually joined SSMB a few years ago when I heard about it through STCO's forum... however for some reason I didn't really mesh in with the community very well back then (despite Hogfather at the time saying "yay this person is nice!" after my introduction post.... yes I remember that! tongue.png). I suppose I was much much more shy than I am now. biggrin.png I guess I started posting here again once I realised the STCO forum was never going to be as busy as it used to be, and I needed some Sonic chat every now and then! biggrin.png

Last year I messed up my chance to go to SoS by having an accident with a cooking pan(!) on the day the tickets were released but one of my friends from STCO was soooo nice and kind to send me a paper copy of STCO 261 in the post. smile.png

So yes, when I was a kid I had no Sonic fan friends, but now I do. smile.png And they are some of the nicest people I have met. I just wish I could hang out more with them, but yknow... being in Prague makes that kinda hard.

Zone 25: How I Befriended the Sonic Fanbase

Oh, Sonic fanbase...

It isn't a day without your antics. 

For Sonic, SSMB is pretty much my be-all-end-all community. I've befriended a number of you lot, and I have yet to regret it - Azoo, Discoid, Knucklesgirl, BlueBlood, and all you crazy beloved wackjobs in the Skype chat... y'all are awesome! There was also the Tinychat a while back when Sonic 4 was still a new thing - so many memories...

I mean, we have a group dynamic that can create stuff like this:

So I'm glad I made friends in this community. Kept me sane during college, really.

• Thumbs Up 6

Zolt1B6.png

When I first came to the SSMB, I thought I'd simply be that one everyone catches a tiny little glance of every now and then and nothing else, considering that's how I was on forums I'd tried in the past.

I think my artwork thread was my first leap to being known on here, I always wanted to get my art skills out and this place was perfect for it. The status updates are a barrel of fun and there's a million times I'll never forget (Lyra crusade, Sonic High School, SSMB x SSMB, the list goes on) as long as I live.

oh and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp8Uv8so3Gk

almost a year and it still won't leave my heaaaaad @_@

Overall, I joined the SSMB one time in February last year for Generations modding assistance, came back in April around the time when I was leaving secondary school, and I couldn't have it any other way.

Amy_love_by_prittyred.jpg

[source here because I'm not a thieving bastard like that :U]

Thanks, SSMB. You're awesome.

• Thumbs Up 4

In what way(s) have you made friends within the Sonic fanbase?:

I would say that I had made ONE friend in middle school who was an actual Sonic fan, we discussed about it and even traded games for a limited time...then he moved away and...that's it.

Other than that...I can't really say that I have made any actual friends within the Sonic fanbase(Online would probably be the only way though), maybe I would if I actually tried, but oh well.