Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Question #24: What's your favourite Sonic-related cameo... APART from Super Smash Bros. and Wreck-It Ralph?

So I think it's probably the Progressive commercial. I mean, I'm not sure what the relevance is, but it was kind of funny in the shocking way. It's so bizarre that I can't not like it. What would Sonic need to insure? I mean given the timing of the commercial, a lot of people who played Sonic as kids now have their own disposable income. Maybe that's the only reason...

Really though, it's just SEGA pimping out Sonic for some cross promotion. I don't blame them though. It makes me feel all fuzzy/sick either way. 

it really is smash tho

Day 24: Favorite Non-Smash Bros cameo.

Bugs Bunny's Double Trouble.

Outgames_48.gif

His shoes are a power up that make you run faster. They're even tapping their feet...er, themselves. The level you use them in is a race to change all the signs from Rabbit Season to Duck Season so that Elmer Fudd shoots Daffy instead of you. It's basically an extremely terrible level, based on a famous and incredibly funny Chuck Jones cartoon.

Actually that whole game was ass, and completely crippled by its controls. Bugs ran way too fast and had a tendency to slip off of things. His jump was also really

hard to control and gameplay involved a lot of trial and error.

So why mention this as my favorite? Because it was the first one I noticed. That and I don't see many people saying it.

• Thumbs Up 2

Woah, I've never seen this! This is hilarious, dude! 

Okay then, I guess I have my pick, lol. That's just... wow. That ending picture with M-Flo in costume is just too good.

• Thumbs Up 2

sonic_y_amy_rose_en_los_simpsons_by_oldc

Such a shame, it took until a Simpsons episode for Sonic to give sound advice again, nearly 15 years later.

20071218075406!Stopping_Sonic.jpg]

It's also nice to see the authorities finally find a practical solution in dealing with that blue, speeding menace once and for all!

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 24: Favorite Sonic-related cameo:

For me my favorite Sonic-related cameo has to be Sonic's recent appearances in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade:

ANysoyH.jpg?1

BsFR7tg.jpg?1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NmmYhtZDYs

It was awesome to see my favorite character of all time in an adorable 60-foot long Modern balloon form floating down the streets of New York with the holders of the Sonic balloon wearing Sonic-related outfits. Splash Hill Zone was an odd choice for music to be played as opposed to something iconic like Green Hill Zone but it guess it was because it was fairly new at that time along with Sonic 4 that it wasn't so odd after all. happy.png

Sonic's appearance in the Progressive commercial as been mentioned several times already so what about this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDP9OXF354

Sonic in a commercial for Honey Nut Cheerios. It was so cool to see Sonic racing around in Emerald Hill Zone with Buzz foolishly challenging to race him...I can't believe it's been nearly 20 years since that commercial had hit the airwaves. smile.png

Sonic has made a ton of cameos in various video games but this one here is my favorite:

A9XeqTI.jpg?1

I'm a big sports fan (especially American football), so seeing Sonic's cameo via the Megatron after a touchdown was scored in Joe Montana II: Sports Talk Football was the best of both worlds for me in regards to me seeing two of the biggest things I'm a fan of together. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 24: Favorite Sonic Cameo!

Definitely backing up Dio by picking Illbleed's cameo. Cork's chapter is already the craziest in Illbleed, what with being a weird survival horror parody of Toy Story, and then all of a sudden Sonic is the final boss. It's amazing, absolutely the best cherry to set atop the crazy sundae.

(also seconding that LP because supergreatfriend is... super great)

• Thumbs Up 1

I would say the billy hatcher cameo but im just gonna say the progressive commercial just because that one literally caught me by surprise and just made me so happy to see my favorite character in a commercial like that, not only because its sonic trying to get insurance (for some reason) but also because of just how well animated he is in it.

Despite being a TY fan that one didn't cross my mind. However, I'm gonna roll with that.

I find that commercial hilarious for two reasons:

1. Despite TY proclaiming to be the next big platforming hero, he... didn't really amount to much after his first game sold well.

2. Stephen Frost was assistant producer on Ty the Tasmanian Tiger 2, but now is making Sonic games. Delicious turnabout there.

So yes... I'd have to say that's easily one of my favorite cameos. Ty whoops the asses of all platforming heroes, Sonic being one of them. I presume fear of Nintendo's lawyer legion kept Mario out of there, though.

I just found it extra humorous as a TY fan because the commercial makes it seem like he's so tough and violent... but he's actually a very kind, laid back character in game.

four_friends_by_falterdan-d4dzgl9.jpg

Oh, this happened too. This came from the official artist on the TY games.

"Sorry I beat the shit outta ya, mates. Want to be, uh, mates?"

But umm... back to the Sonic cameo... it's just glorious. It's masterful trolling. There's a lot of cameos that are fairly polite, but this is right up there with Sonic's sneakers in Diddy Kong in terms of the amount of middle fingers it's giving the Sonic franchise. And if there's one thing I can appreciate in marketing, it's being ballsy. It's right up there with the Genesis commercials calling the SNES an overpriced piece of crap in terms of boldness.

RlISx2q.jpg

I enjoyed knocking Robotnik around in Christmas NiGHTS. Sonic otherwise played like garbage since on-foot gameplay in NiGHTS is atrocious, but it later inspired Spring Hill Zone and Botanic Serenity in SRB2.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day #24: What's your favourite Sonic-related cameo... APART from Super Smash Bros. and Wreck-It Ralph?

Well, underwhelmingly(is that a word), I'm going with the majority again and saying that Progressive commercial, if only because it's the one cameo I'm actually familiar with and have seen on TV before.

24/30 challenges completed! :D

[ Day 24 : Favorite Sonic Cameo ]

I have two that come to mind specifically.  We'll start with this tidbit from Donkey Kong Country.

dkc2.png

But most importantly, I'm not sure if this counts, but...

tetsu_sonic.jpg

L'Arc~en~Ciel is my favorite band (too bad I can't commemorate my fandom by eating DA CRAB!!!), so seeing Tetsuya, the bassist, wearing Sonic's shoes...

squee-o.gif

• Thumbs Up 2

I just found it extra humorous as a TY fan because the commercial makes it seem like he's so tough and violent... but he's actually a very kind, laid back character in game.

I always thought that was funny as well.

Day 24: What's your favorite Sonic-related cameo beside Wreck-it Ralph and Super Smash Bros.?

I know a certain few of them, at least the ones I remembered seeing:

Rad Mobile (1991):

Radmobile.gif

Sonic appearing in a game before his debut game. That's always something for me to remember. ^^

The Cheerios Commerical that had Sonic in it (1994):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDDP9OXF354

I thought this commercial was funny, as I saw Honey Bee, playing Sonic 2, challenging Sonic to a race and losing badly.

Virtua Fighter 2 (1995):

Virtua_fighter_sonic_on_wall.jpg

I've played Virtua Fighter 2, but it seriously took me the longest time to realize that chalk image was actually Sonic. I felt like an idiot. sleep.png

Megas XLR: Thansgiving Throwdown (2004):

Auggie_The_Aardvark.png

Taking place during a Thanksgiving Day parade; one of the floats, Aussie the Adoarable Aardvark, comes to life and starts causing chaos and fights Coop. Aussie, of course is Sonic and even performs the Spindash.

The Progressive Commercial that Sonic was in (2012):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kru8ZaC5Wfs

The rather infamous commercial that made everybody ask the question, "Why does Sonic need car insurance?" My answer, "For a new Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing game of course!"

• Thumbs Up 1

Truth be told, I've never played Secret of Mana, but seeing RoahmMythril's LP of it has influenced me a bit (to the point where I've even made elemental siblings called Lumina and Shade!).

Then I remembered these guys: Pebblers.

160px-Pebbler_official_art.gif

A blue hedgehog-like creature with red feet that attacks by spinning into a blue ball? I wonder if they're a reference to Kirby?

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 24~! biggrin.png Was scared I'd miss this one. ;w;

Anyway Sonic cameo huh? Well I'm gonna parrot the most of you guys and say the Progressive Commercial. The one that makes me smile like a complete fangirl. He's so cute in it. :3 

Oh and this little guy. HarryHedgehog_SMW2.png From Yoshi's Island.

Yup~.

Favourite non-Smash or WiR cameos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kru8ZaC5Wfs

This one Progressive ad is always worth a giggle. I love the use of Sonic 3 music and how the humans look Unleashed-style at the end, to put it "through Sonic's eyes".

Sonic-simpsons-1-.png

This one from the Simpsons episode That 90s Show is pretty cute. Not really much else to say, it's Sonic proposing to Amy.

SimpsonSonic.jpg

JESUS CHRIST WHAT THE HELL IS THAT

• Thumbs Up 3

Nuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu I missed a day!

This is the worst thing evaaaaaaaaaaaaar! XD

Ah. Anyways, this one is interesting for me as I remember Sonic being in a lot of adverts in the 1990s. The one that springs to mind is that he appeared in a TSB advert where the Sonic 1 sprite jumped onto a blue couch and a bunch of rings popped out of it. I have not been able to find a shred of evidence that this thing existed, however... but I vividly remember it. I also had this poster, which my Nan got for me when she opened an account with TSB:

http://videogamemm.com/main/sites/default/files/images/1_1_27.jpg

It was my favouriest poster evaaaaaaar when I was a kid. :3 Thankies Nan!

(I'm also starting to wonder if this is actually my poster... as the carpet in the background strongly resembles the carpet we had at our old house. I actually don't know where this poster is... so perhaps when we moved it got left behind somehow? Whatevs....)

I also noticed during my Breaking Bad marathon that Jesse Pinkman might be a Sonic fan! He was shown playing Sonic 06 (urgh) against Brock and in his big ole fancy house, frequently had Sonic All Stars Racing in the background. Jesse was my favourite character anyway but to see that made me go yaaaay a little bit. My OH doesn't like Sonic at all so he was all like *rolls eyes* "will you just shut up about Sonic already?!" XD

Also yeah, I noticed the Gotta Go Fast thing in Steven Universe, but someone already pointed that dude out! biggrin.png

Hmm, are references okay? Lots of people are using references instead of cameos, so here's some of mine:

tumblr_lher95ExPK1qdtw9eo1_400.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7xeGfEo_ls

vol-2-sonic-3.jpg

v4-1-scottsonic--article_image.jpg

vol-2-sonic-and-knuckles.jpg

Simpsonssonic.jpg

MarrySonicSimpsons.jpg

(Heh, weird that Sonic cameos in two of the most loathed episodes in Simpsons history.)

And for some actual cameos:

post-1-0-63965400-1383665803.jpg

_-See-Sonic-in-Billy-Hatcher-_.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

(Heh, weird that Sonic cameos in two of the most loathed episodes in Simpsons history.)

People hated the video game episode? I mean, I can see the 90s one due to the continuity issues, but I don't remember anything really bad about the other one...then again, it's been years since I saw it, and I'm not in the Simpsons fandom deep enough to know the common opinions or whatever. XP

Also, thinking about it some more, I'm amused how the designs of the other video game characters (in particular Mario and Luigi) are fairly reasonable in the Simpsons style, while Sonic's just kind of "wtf?" At least the one in The 90s Show looks fine--kinda cute, even.

Sega%2BGame%2BPack%2B4%2Bin%2B1%2B%2528U

Sega Game Pack 4 in 1

One of the first games that I received for the Game Gear, Sega Game Pack 4 in 1 featured Sonic as umpire in a neat little tennis game.

2Ba7hv7.jpg

The Super Mario Bros Super Show!

My memory of this show is fuzzy at best, but one thing I do recall is the image of Bond villain King Koopa stroking a little blue hedgehog. It even had Sonic's face!

sonic-5.png

Christmas NiGHTS

This is of course my favourite cameo, as you were actually able to play as Sonic and fight an Eggy version of Puffy. It's a pity that the HD version fails to include this mode.

Bug.gif

Bug!

Sonic appeared as a challenger in a Bonus game. Luckily he wasn't taking the race seriously, slowing down for every jump, giving you a chance to beat him to the finish line.

PSOSonic10th.jpg

Phantasy Star Online

I think you could go on quests with these guys for the 10th anniversary. For some reason I can't remember much about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

People hated the video game episode? I mean, I can see the 90s one due to the continuity issues, but I don't remember anything really bad about the other one...then again, it's been years since I saw it, and I'm not in the Simpsons fandom deep enough to know the common opinions or whatever. XP

It's basically a case of it being a great episode of television even if it's a bad episode of The Simpsons. Even though the episode gets a lot of positive attention among casual fans (even I love it!), hardcore Simpsons fans consider it to be the harbinger of Zombie Simpsons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Question #24: What's your favourite Sonic-related cameo... APART from Super Smash Bros. and Wreck-It Ralph?

Virtua Striker 3 : FC SONIC

MtyeXOQ.jpg

This was an actual unlockable team in the game! Eggman was the goal keeper and (sigh) Yuji Naka the coach. Everytime I played this game, this was my go-to team.

The Simpsons : "That good episode with a Sonic cameo"

E98Q0kb.png

Holy shot, I didn't remember Sonic being so ugly in this cameo.

When I was a little kid, this one totally got me by surprise. Maybe that's why I'm so fond of it.

And...I'd like to mention 2 other...well, they're not exactly cameos but...everyone is doing that, so...

Yoshi's Island : "The Cave Of Harry Hedgehog"

RFtAtS8.png

Geddit? It's blue, it's a hedgehog...it's an enemy in a Snes game...I think we could count this as a parody, am I right?

And this one. One of these days, I have to replay the game to see if they kept that in the Italian version.

Spyro 3: Year of the dragon : "Don't mess with Moneybags"

8YlW8Jf.jpg

The Progressive commercial is my favorite Sonic cameo. Just watching Sonic run around looking for insurance of all things is very amusing. 

There's actually a few cameo's of Sonic that I seen and enjoyed, but I had to refresh my memories a bit for some help.

Since it's mentioned (and I'm actually surprised it's mentioned!) I'll choose Sonic and the Sega Megadrive's brief references in this italian rap song

• Thumbs Up 1

Favorite Sonic Cameo...that isn't Smash Bros or Wreck it Ralph(...?)

Sonic-Shoes.jpg

This, from DKC 2. Its a funny little cameo/reference that takes a small potshot at Sonic(and EarthWorm Jim), it also showed Sega's and Nintendo's rivalry through taking jabs at eachother..

Another small Nintendo jab...

HarryHedgehog_SMW2.png

Harry Hedgehog, um...a fast moving, Blue Hedghog...not so subtle at all(though it is one of more subtler ones technically)

(Now I can add my favorite one)

Ragnacenty.gif

Translation:

(Sonic)Tsk, tsk. I'm a gallant hedgehog. Touch and you'll get burned.

Sonic, appearing very randomly in a Action RPG on the Sega Mega Drive. With one box of text that definitely shows off the Hedghog's attitude. I think its a cool thing that they did this(however random it may be), I'm guessing that this was a nice thing to find while exploring or something like that.

• Thumbs Up 1