Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

Don't sweat it, man. Despite the few bumps in the road, we're all having a great time!  :)

• Thumbs Up 6

Day 8:

Another issue I never thought of... but I'd roll with Final Egg.

The music aside, I think it speaks to his cleverness. Most of his bases that I can recall are... fairly hard to miss. Other than the one tower, if I'm not mistaken, Final Egg is well-hidden beneath a lush jungle. It shows a good deal of tact on his part - while he's confident in his ability to win, he's still reserved enough to try and conceal his operations.

Openly flaunting his bases, on the other hand, is just inviting a missile strike or some sort of coordinated attack. That ignores the fact GUN are a bunch of morons (because the plot demands it and all), but still. Indeed, Pyramid Base was already discovered by GUN based on the presence of their units, but it looks like they couldn't manage to get inside. They take "the government is a bunch of morons" jokes to the next level.

Overall, if I have to think of story reasons to support a base, Final Egg wins out. I like the idea of Eggman as someone who is quite brilliant in most of his confrontations, but he's far from invincible and prefers to use hit and run tactics like 06's opening to achieve his objectives. He's more of a guerrilla and a terrorist than an actual Emperor, having no real nation-state of his own, only patches of territory that he's managed to gain temporary control over. Hiding in jungles beneath the foliage perfectly fits that sort of approach.

Plus he concealed a floating freaking aircraft carrier beneath the trees how can that NOT be awesome?

Note to self: Play more Sonic.

Jumping in on Question #8: What are your favourite ON-LAND Robotnik bases... APART from Eggmanland?

2014_04_08_00002.jpg

The entirety of the pyramid base in SA2, consisting of Sand Ocean, Hidden Base, Egg Quarters, Death Chamber, Pyramid Cave, AND the fights against King Boom-Boo and the Egg Golem!

To me, it was one of the most memorable sections of Sonic Adventure 2. Just... the whole thing was amazing. The music always complimented the levels so nicely, the concept of Eggman having a base inside a PYRAMID is just awesome, (What can I say, I really like Egyptian things) the desert area around it, and the bosses where so much fun!

I remember when I was young, and I was playing the Egg Quarters with Rouge... man, those drones would scare the piss out of me. LOVE IT! They add to the tension of sneaking around the place, and hoping to not get caught.

and Sand Ocean is awesome since it takes place at night. Kinda creates a feeling of going home after a long day of work- or rather, "Taking shelter after a long day of plotting world domination and getting my arse kicked"

and those little monkey dudes you'd find all around the area, particularly in Hidden Base are just so CUTE!

and there's the cute ghosties you see flying around in Pyramid Cave and Death Chamber. Nasty little buggers in Pyramid cave, but... I just can't help but think they're adorable! and of course, I can't forget King Boom-Boo! He's just so out there and whimsical. "BRRRRAAAAAAWR" *eats you alive* Seriously though, it was a neat battle, how you had to avoid him until the smaller ghost with the hour glass showed up, so you could dig his shadow out then punch him. I liked it.

... and then they followed up with ONE OF MY FAVORITE SONIC BOSSES OF ALL TIME.

2014_04_08_00003.jpg

The freaking EGG GOLEM.

You get to fight him not once, but TWICE as both Sonic and EGGMAN.

Seriously, that fact alone makes him awesome. And you know what, I just love this boss to bits and pieces. His music is so catchy, his attack style really works for a golem... and fighting him on falling platforms over quicksand is just so... so badass.

If I'm having a playthrough session of SA2 through the whole story mode, I make sure I at least get to the egg Golem fight on the Hero Side!

• Thumbs Up 3

I wanna say that I didn't mean to make anyone feel bad, but I was just voicing my own opinion on the whole thing. I get that the topic is to inspire creativity and thought, but things like the different designs of Eggman's mobile simply do not interest me and are things I cannot be thoughtful about. If the topic is to creative something positive and meaningful, then shouldn't the questions be something everyone should be able to participate and post their thoughts on, instead of being somewhat niche?

I really do like this idea, its just kind of disheartening that some of the subjects are just simply things I can't get passionate about. And thus, giving an actual meaningful response.

• Thumbs Up 1

The likelihood of every single participant being pleased with every single question concerning a franchise that is the poster child for a fractured fanbase is effectively zero. That was truly the caveat going into this. You're asking a whole lot of Dr. Crusher and the other coordinators without even realizing it, and frankly it's unfair to them. Fact of the matter is, you can suck it up and try your best to participate (and really, it's not like anyone's asking for a monumental task. We're asking you to answer one question a day), or you can skip questions you don't want to answer. As Kiah said, this case is closed. Let's keep the thread concerning discussion about the daily questions.

• Thumbs Up 4

What's Your Favorite Ground Based Eggman Base (That's not Eggmanland)?

Scrap Brain Zone.

Scrapbrain.png

The industrial setting, the bleak colour scheme, and the eerie music is a far cry from your first steps in Green Hill. It goes to show that you are now in the enemy's territory, the final stretch, with plenty of traps and machinations to dispose of the blue pincushion.

I also like the 8-bit version's music as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4U0D_tQBlo

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8: What is your favorite Eggman grounded/underwater base?

Lavamnt1.jpg

Lava Mountain

I'm going to be that oddball and post the least liked stage out of the entire game as my top base. For starters, it has the best vertical platforming sections in any Sonic game so far, has amazingly fun-to-abuse ramps in the first section, the best use of the parkour in the entire game, and four - count 'em - four miniboss-battles in one stage. The aesthetic design of the place is pretty unique, as well, going for a stronghold look compared to the usual industrial bases that Eggman creates. Part of this might have to do with the fact that the mine cart loading and delivering system that goes through Tropical Coast 3 to Lava Mountain 2 ends here, stashing away all the gold and firepower in the interior of the base for later use, and therefore making the area a somewhat valuable asset to Eggman's empire. The music's pretty awesome too, even though it's just dubstep, and it really got me vamped up for what I thought would be an awesome final boss. Of course, as everyone knows by now, it wasn't that awesome, but still, the music did well enough for it's part of the picture.

And even though everyone hates the rail stage for this zone, I just can't help but love it. It's like Donkey Kong's nail hard mine cart stages combined with SA2's rail philosophy of gameplay over spectacle, and the result is just so fun to play through, I wish there were more to it.

Put both of these stages together, and you have a perfect combination of final base challenges in my book.

Special mention goes to Crimson Crater in Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity because of it's awesome level design, and Hang Castle for being super creative and also containing one of the few easter eggs in Sonic games where I felt I was the only one who knew about it.

Heroes_HC_NMSstatue.PNG

(obviously not, since it's in a few wikis, but I hardly ever see it get mentioned, anyway.)

• Thumbs Up 3

Funnily enough... that's the one part of Hang Castle I actually remember clearly. Though oddly only when I hear the Mystic Mansion theme - there are parts of the track that make me automatically remember the time I flipped the stage over and was all "holy crap that's Metal Sonic."

It was a pretty nice touch to say the least... the game seemed to want to make Metal Sonic as a villain somehow surprising but they dropped so many hints to it in the trailer, manual and actual game it was hard to miss.

All this has me wondering, though... where the HECK does the Egg Fleet dock? The Egg Carrier had its nice little jungle base to stay in for repairs, whereas the Egg Fleet seems way too massive to fit in just one base. I assume in its voyages around the globe individual components dock or something? As this topic shows, he's clearly got enough worldwide bases he can easily leave some scattered around the world.

Maybe Eggman has a supermassive land base somewhere out there, thinking on the topic...

Day 8: Favourite Eggman base.

No brainer. Final Egg. First, its hiddenn in the jungle making it hard to find. Second, the little room you start in is fantastic, what with its Sonic bots and a cool green colour code. Then into the main base. Running through it you realise, its huge! I'd think it was bigger than the Egg Carrier! This is is filled with traps like conveyor belts, lasers, badniks that torment you and much more. Being chased through by Zero even showed some maze like qualities to the base. This stage was badass, both musics included, making me proud of the Eggman.

Funnily enough... that's the one part of Hang Castle I actually remember clearly. Though oddly only when I hear the Mystic Mansion theme - there are parts of the track that make me automatically remember the time I flipped the stage over and was all "holy crap that's Metal Sonic."

It was a pretty nice touch to say the least... the game seemed to want to make Metal Sonic as a villain somehow surprising but they dropped so many hints to it in the trailer, manual and actual game it was hard to miss.

All this has me wondering, though... where the HECK does the Egg Fleet dock? The Egg Carrier had its nice little jungle base to stay in for repairs, whereas the Egg Fleet seems way too massive to fit in just one base. I assume in its voyages around the globe individual components dock or something?

Maybe Eggman has a supermassive land base somewhere out there, thinking on the topic...

Rail Canyon, perhaps? It does have tons of supply trains interconnecting the individual platforms and bases, plus it would have enough air pockets to allow the individual ships enough wiggle room to enter and exit without damaging themselves.

Favourite Eggman base that isn't Eggmanland? Actually pretty easy.

Sh_Rail_Canyon.png

Rail Canyon & Bullet Station

Amazing "rockin' the fuck out" music aside, the Western approach to this canyon level is something that isn't very often seen in Sonic and it provides a nice, unique atmosphere. Also, more train levels in Sonic is always a good thing.

Also massive-ass cannons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Favourite Eggman bases? Er... there's a lot!

Scrap Brain Zone I've always liked - it's one big grey industrial complex crawling with Badniks and showing an intense disregard for the nearby environment, be it air or sea. Very "Robotnik". The music for both MD/GG versions is very good, though I kinda prefer the GG one more.

Metropolis Zone I'm 50/50 on. On the one hand, it reminds me a lot of Metal Man's stage, so that's cool. On the other hand, the Metropolis Trio. Actually, why's it even called Metropolis? Doesn't remotely look like a city.

Metallic Madness is also really good: the music in both US/JP versions fits well (I feel like the US soundtrack captures the "Metallic" aspect, while the JP one takes "Madness") and it looks purdy. Especially the Good Future incarnation, though I wonder how Eggman reacted to Sonic doing that: d'you think he thinks Sonic ruined his utopian Eggmanland by... making it actually utopian?

Aquatic Base is a pretty good one as well - the music is so atmospheric, and the idea and look of the level is gooooood. Too bad he had to populate it with Totally-Not-G.U.N.-Robots and beat-em-up locks.

Finally, Lava Mountain is very good (though I'd associate it more with the Deadly Six than Eggman to be honest - I can just imagine some legend somewhere saying "the six demons of death hold council on the dreaded Lava Mountain" like it's Lord of the Rings or something). Act 2's music and look... *insert orgasm sound here*. Then the third act looks sweet - you're basically fighting your way to the "castles" of Zeena, Zor and Zavok and kicking their asses (actually, that'd make for a sweet final level should another game be set on the Lost Hex - have there be one big mechanical castle on top of the volcano where you fight through the Six before getting to the "throne room"). Also, I never thought dubstep would be used in an epic way ever, but... dang, sun, dat music.

Hmm, again there are quite a few of Eggman's bases I like but I think the best has to be the Pyramid Base as shown in Sand Ocean and Hidden Base.

Mostly because, although it's supposed to be a hidden base, Eggman is so ridiculously narcissist that he has to put his face on everything! There are flags everywhere with his logo on it, the walls are decorated with Hieroglyphs with Egyptian gods' faces replaced with his own. It's hilariously gratuitous!

hqdefault.jpg

Just look at the place! :D

I can't find any images of it, but I am also pretty sure he had some Abu Simbel-esque statues of himself near the end of Hidden Base! I mean, what the fuck Eggman?! :D

Day 8: Favourite Land based Eggman Base.

I think my favourite has to be Final Egg. I mean that level just screams "Final level" I love the dirty industrial theme of the level before transitioning to a much cleaner and sleeker section, similar to something you would expect of a James Bond Villian. Full of Lasers, badniks, conveor belts, spiked rollers and giant hammers. You really can tell that eggman wants to be rid of the spikey blue pincushion. The third part of the level is probably my favorite not only being the most lethal, but it contains those endless pink robots (shh I spent 5 minutes trying to kill them all on my first play) I can imagine that would be the way to get rid of sonic, lock him in a room with all of them in it and he would eventualy go crazy killing them all. (Also Crusher is right guys Mechanical Resistance is the better track cool.png)

Special mention goes to the base from AoStH, its such a cool base, not really hidden, standing imposing on the top of a mountain with the giant golden naked Eggmam statue. Not to mention that music.

Also props go to White Acropolis for being much more like a secret base, with searchlights and massive fences. It certainly seems more like a millitary base and goes with the more serious tone of 06

The passion suggested here for other places makes me think Eggmanland wouldn't have been a constant across the board, especially with people talking about multiple ones.

Anyway, my faves other than Eggmanland:

Gimmick Mt. Zone

It's one of those ones that is so surreal that it's hard to even tell if it's made by Eggman but we can assume it is.  I love the colour scheme, the intimidating music (that is more quietly intimidating as oppose to "DUN DUN DUN" dramatic intimidating), I remember this place feeling really heavy and a big deal when I reached it for the first time as a kid - especially since it didn't have a demo if you sat around on the title screen, so it came out of nowhere for me.  Just, it's so hard to pin down what certain something it is this zone has but I adore it.

Launch Base Zone

On the flipside I love this zone because it's so upbeat and summery for a final zone.  It has a really cool and relaxed atmosphere - I know it was never intended to be a final zone but I like to play Sonic 3 alone sometimes and treat it as one, a cool, very alternative feeling that separates it from more typical final Eggman base zones.

But Eggmanland really is the best.  The size of it, the music, the thrills, the intimidation.  Every final zone has been a disappointment since in comparison to this colossus of a finale.

Honourable mentions go to Secret Base from Sonic Advance due to its kickass opening (wish it went between inside/outside during the rest of the zone).

It's funny that we had Crystal Egg and Electric Egg mentioned because I have a headcanon that both are set in space haha (though are much smaller scale bases than the Death Egg is).  I imagine Crystal Egg as floating in space a little ways away from the Asteroid Belt-esque area of Scrambled Egg, and once inside the place is designed with the optical illusion of a wide open sky around the terrain.  All completely "imagination fills in the blanks of old graphics" elaboration of course, but yeah.

Okay, I am not all that familiar with Eggman bases on the ground due to the long time since playing games that did not take place in space.  :P but I will admit: that Pyrimid base is pretty memorable! (thanks for reminding me fellow posters!)

320px-Sa2_egg_golem_sonic.jpg.png   Egg Golem was always a fun boss to defeat, and I love the Pyrimid's levels all have to do with ghosts !

My favorite part of this scrambled egg base however.....

sonic-adventure-2-images-2-1024x576.jpg

Surprise surprise..... DEATH CHAMBER!

I often get lost in this level. but ti is still fun. and yet I mus announce my favorite boss is here... (besides Rouge that is)

tumblr_lufg1tTZWV1qdtw9eo1_500.png KING BOOM BOO!!!   I love fighting this guy, and Knuckles is good at fighting this guy despite his fear of Ghosts!   

• Thumbs Up 2

[ Day 8 : Favorite Grounded Eggman Base, Bar Eggmanland ]

The Eggquarters leading up to Final Egg in SA1.

THAT MUSIC IS SO FREAKING AMAZING I SWEAR I CAN'T EMPHASIZE THAT ENOUGH.

But that aside, it's just such an interesting level.  It just screams "hidden base of sadistic mad scientist."  Hidden traps, crazy platforms, hammer thingies that you have to dodge, factory-like structures, and even training courses.  This is probably the only hidden base in the series to my recollection that actually feels like you're infiltrating the origin of the problem, chasing it back to where it started and killing it off at its most vulnerable.  This is the only place that I can think of where you actually think, "this is where the 'magic' happens," and by 'magic' I, of course, mean the assembly and preparation of killer robots powered by cute little animals.  This is where it all happens and you have to stop it from spreading even further.

It's such a perfect, definitive hidden base.  I don't think another has since surpassed it.

finalegg_shot4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 2

6NWr595.jpg

The lack of floating Eggbases makes this an easy question to answer. While do like Final Egg, I love the Pyramid Base.

OKIeTzZ.jpg

It helps that I love Sandopolis Act 2 and, for that matter, any haunted or dimly-lit environment. Like any level based on an Egyptian pyramid, the floors and walls are lined with hieroglyphics, torches and statues. That's not crazy enough for the Doc to set up camp though, so we also have chimneys, windmills and boat pendulums. The area that Sonic journeys through is particularly striking, thanks to the signature loops and halfpipes. It also happens to be one of few 3D levels to have a section that allows you to run up walls without the aid of a boost of some sort.

yvG2D4w.jpg

Enough of that hedgehog, though. Eggy made great effort to make this place feel like home and, to that end, plastered his visage all over the damn place; most notably on the heads of a scorpion, a fish and a snake. Each of the areas in Death Chamber and Egg Quarters are colour coded as well, which is a nice touch.

pJ1y0We.jpgzGt8wMH.jpg

Last, but certainly not least, it features a good variety of enemies. To start with bosses; there is the Egg Golem, a stone guardian under Eggman's control. It's a unique enemy in that it wasn't built from scratch, but much like the rest of the base, modified to fit his needs. Then there's King Boom Boo, the vomiting leader of those pestering ghouls. I certainly did not expect that colourful apparition to drift around the corner. Surrounding the phantom king's minions are the Doctor's ever watchful badniks and the new Egg Beetles, the latter of which added a small element of stealth to Egg Quarters. Finally there are the E-1000 series robots, a callback to Gamma, one of favourite characters from the previous game. 

It's been a while since we've seen such a prominent display of Eggman's vanity and I sincerely hope that we do again soon.

• Thumbs Up 2

Day 8: Favorite Eggman Base that is not Eggmanland

Sonic 3 the Hedgehog & Knuckles: Launch Base Zone

Sonic3C0408_LaunchBaseZone.png

I would've picked Death Egg Zone  Scrap Brain Zone from Sonic the Hedgehog 1 for this one, but I'm gonna have to go with Launch Base Zone, because the level design was fun for exploration, going wild with the stage at blinding speed, the music was catchy and awesome as hell. And just to boot; this is one of my all time favorite zones to revisit.

Edited by Electro Pipe

Hm, favourite grounded Eggman base... That's a head scratcher. Especially since I can't say Eggmanland.

Well then! I guess it'd have to be a toss up between Aquatic Base from '06 and Lava Mountain from Lost World.

I'm fond of a lot stuff from '06 for some ungodly reason. Perhaps I'm too lenient with it because it was the reason I bought a 360...? Anyway!

What I particularly liked about Aquatic Base was the aesthetic. It was something very different from Eggman's usual base design (because he didn't build that one, I suppose?). Lots of silver and blue all over the place, and a surprisingly mellow soundtrack to accompany it.

The multi-tiered structure was another highlight, with you having to return to a central room to take a higher path every so often. Good fun- especially if you mess around with Sonic's shoe-gems to skip sections.

In terms of Lava Mountain, it's the constant boss fights and tricky layout that make it one of my favourites. Makes me wonder just how different things could have been if Sonic was fighting Eggman throughout the stage instead of the six.

Aside from fighting giant Zavok at the end, the wall running section would be that particular level's highlight for me.

Also, Kiah. If it helps, I was Tactician Zolo prior to the name change.

• Thumbs Up 1

My favorite Eggman ground bases?

Newtrogic High Zone was very colorful and looks really good and the music is pretty kickass as well

Launch Base is pretty damn good as well and who doesn't love the music for that level? (GO! GOGOGO!GGGOGOGOGO! GO!)

Final Egg is another great base as well with all those dolls of Sonic, Tails and Knuckles and the cameos of Metal Sonic and Silver Sonic (2.0?)

Question #8: What are your favourite ON-LAND Robotnik bases... APART from Eggmanland?

Consider Eggman moved in and claimed as his own:

Aquatic_Base.jpg

Aquatic Base is so serene in atmosphere mainly due to it's kickass music.

I was hoping I would be first to say Panic Puppet. Act 2 in particular is a highlight, because you don't actually have to fart around collecting the Flickies. The linear nature I believe worked much better than the open levels beforehand, and as said, you're slowly ascending a giant Eggman robot. That's pretty cool.

What I will be first to say though is the Chemical Plant. Consider the placement - between the beautiful natural environment of Emerald Hill and the historical ruins of Aquatic Ruin. This base, with polluting water at its core, seems designed to destroy the areas surrounding it, highlighting Eggman's disregard for nature. The look is rather sterile. This is a place for function, not comfort.

Then Sonic Generations comes along...and WHOOSH. The sheer vibrancy of the colours, perhaps the chemicals reacting with the air and water, dazzles your eyes, and explosions as you travel along further showcases how volatile the dangerous mixture is. Eggman creating a place like this, overseeing the damage he's creating to the environment...and this is only the second zone. He meant business, with this one.

• Thumbs Up 1