Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

About the games Eggman takes with him in Unleashed (and I like to think he always has them happy.png )

sonicunleasheddreamcast_zpsb98c4f05.png

The one on the left is definitely Sonic Adventure, but any idea about the other?

That definitely looks like NiGHTS to me. More precisely, the cover for NiGHTS Journey of Dreams.

NiGHTS.jpg

The other game looks like an Eggmanfied version of Sonic Adventure. Hmmm... Eggman Adventure. The man has some class of his own. XD

• Thumbs Up 3

About the games Eggman takes with him in Unleashed (and I like to think he always has them ^_^ )

sonicunleasheddreamcast_zpsb98c4f05.png

The one on the left is definitely Sonic Adventure, but any idea about the other?

The one at the bottom is Nights JoD.

And upon closer inspection the Sonic Adventure box has the Sonic art replaced by this.

The other game looks like an Eggmanfied version of Sonic Adventure. Hmmm... Eggman Adventure. The man has some class of his own. XD

And instead of Station Square, the game takes place in Robotnikland, the ultimate city, where he rules it all.

• Thumbs Up 4

Day 7: THE EGGMOBILE TO RULE THEM ALL

Uh, this one's kinda hard since they all look basically the same, but I think that the one from Unleashed onward has always been my favorite.

Eggmobile_in_Sonic_Lost_World.png

It's a nice blend of the older and newer designs while still maintaining a flavor of its own.

I've always seen the slits on it as eyes, honestly. I'd love to see a boss robot with the Eggmobile as a head and those slots as eyes. Goofy but neat.

• Thumbs Up 3

Day 7

My favorite Eggmobile?

This badass right here:

maxresdefault.jpg

Aside from the fact that this model is coated in my favorite color, Eggman enters the Battle with class and style.

Armed with spamming missiles, an explosive K.O. and the cheater bomb, Eggman came to play for keeps!

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 7: Which Egg Mobile design(s) is/are your favourite(s)?

They all look more or less the same.

But if I had to choose one, I think I'd choose the most recent revision:

Eggmobile_in_Sonic_Lost_World.png

Why? It looks nice with that light on the front, and those things on the sides that look like they might contain robotic arms or other such things, which is interesting I guess. The windshield in this one is tinted as well. I'm not sure if the others can make that claim.

• Thumbs Up 1

Easy. The Sonic CD Egg mobile, it just seemed like a more enhanced version of the Sonic 1 mobile, and I liked that. I mean, it still had a quirky feel, but it had an appearance that really fitted the game. The attachments too, as, while easy, still made sense. It wasn't just a cockpit that slotted into things, it was a multi-purpose machine.

Oh, and the boosters and big ass laser in Stardust just made it so much better in my book. It's like he just said 'Fuck it' and stuck that laser on it, just to force Sonic to 'race' metal. Of course it resulted in Metal getting destroyed...but...we don't talk about that...do we?

Eggman_ship.png

The Sonic 2 design has always been a personal favorite, if only for the nice nose scoop on the front of the thing. I really like that the kept the same look and feel of the design utilized in Sonic 1, but made it a touch more menacing and a touch more advanced for the sequel. It looks like the good doctor put in a little time upgrading his gear and that is great.

But seriously, there can only be one answer to this...

Dr_robotnick_all_stars_racing.jpg

(I seriously can't believe nobody threw this out there). Its the greatest thing ever invented. The Eggpod Monster Truck. Look at those tires! Look at those exhaust vents! If he had trotted this baby out against Sonic that blue bumbling baboon would be a pancake by now.

06_Eggmobile.jpg

seriously though, as a few people have said before, that 06 eggmobile is straight sexy. Its less personal carrier and more mobile command platform, but its still ranks high to me. The extra "arms" give it some nifty functionality, and I like that even despite its size, it still able to serve as the command module for some of the Doctors boss mechs. Always a nice touch.

~SSMB Has Cleared Egg Mobile Extravaganza Act 7!~

This is all your fault...

Question #8: What are your favourite ON-LAND Robotnik bases... APART from Eggmanland?

gfs_71213_2_9.jpg

What a lovely view from Gnas-...Eggman's...Landmass.

Two Robotnik-related questions in a row? Yes. Yes indeed. Yessiree. Yessiree Bob.

Unless you're the mind of Solaris - in which case you hide away in some ruins like a cheap Scooby Doo villain - most if not all antagonists have a stronghold of some sort, and Dr. Robotnik is far from being an exception. He doesn't have one or two, but thousands, all over the world and beyond. One popular choice of scenery for the mad scientist is the sky, by constantly filling it with airships (Egg Carrier, Wing Fortress, etc), air fleets (Egg Fleet), and even a flying theme park (Circus Park). He's also a big fan of outer space, what with filling that with spaceships (Death Egg, Cosmic Angel, etc), space fleets (the one at the beginning of Sonic Unleashed), and even a space theme park (the Intersteller Amusement Park). Yes, Doc Botnik is very big on conquering everything there is to conquer from the skies and stars.

...But we're not going to talk about those ones. Not today, at least.

We all love a good Egg Carrier and Death Egg, but they're rather obvious choices. No, for this question, we're talking about fortresses that are strictly on land (...or underwater, in the case of some).

Throughout the game series, Robotnik has been determined to create his "Eggmanland", and in Sonic Unleashed, he finally got to make it. Many people adored it, and rightly so... But we're not going to talk about that one either, because again, obvious choice. So, when it comes to land and/or water-based Eggman bases that aren't called "Eggmanland", which ones do you like the most, and why?

Crusher's Thoughts: All of them, of cou-...okay, fine. I'll talk about a few specific ones. Gawd sake.

The original Sonic the Hedgehog's Scrap Brain was the first time we got to have a look at Robotnik's scenery handiwork, and needless to say, it was more than a good introduction. Red and grey as far as the eye can see, sawblades and electric traps all over the place, melancholy music, narrow pathways, yoku blocks disappearing-and-reappearing blocks, Badniks everywhere... Even the familiar ancient ruins resting below the factory have been subtly corrupted into something of the Eggmanny variety, which could be viewed as our first look at what would happen if the big jolly man succeeded. Later factories like Metropolis and Metallic Madness added new twists to such a location type - having a steampunk and somewhat alien design scheme respectively - but Scrap Brain was what started it all. (Also, the Master System/Game Gear version of the background reminds me of the Victorian times.)

Crystal Egg from the Master System/Game Gear version of Sonic the Hedgehog 2 was basically the exact opposite of the above paragraph. It was bright, cheery, and oddly enough, not even mechanical (well, not until the final boss area). There's only one type of Badnik, and the majority of other obstacles consist mainly of falling blocks and spikes. And yet, despite all of that - or even because of all that - the area has a very barren feel to it, like something's not quite right (and I'm not just talking about the cactus), which fits a man like Robotnik perfectly. I wouldn't mind seeing another "crystal" Robotnik area of some sort, especially it it looked like the Crystal Palace from the original Paper Mario.

Little shout out to Oil Ocean from Sonic the Hedgehog 2, for being an oil ocean. I bet Robotnik was lighting a match in anticipation for Sonic's arrival.

There might not be much to say about the Electric Egg from Sonic & Tails, A.K.A. Sonic Chaos, A.K.A. Bathroom's That Way Mate (that's where Sonic's pointing to in the title screen, right?), but I really like the simplistic mix of dark and neon, as though it shows off the flashy and cold sides of Robotnik at the same time.

Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Launch Base is an interesting one. For what's meant to be a simple launching site for the Death Egg, it's very vibrant and friendly-looking, even though it really isn't. My own interpretation for this is that Robotnik deliberately made the place bright and happy in order to further convince Knuckles that he's totally the good guy. (Why is it called the "Death" Egg? Uh, it represents the death of the old times full of badness, and the subsequent genesis of the new times full of goodness... yeah, that'll work.)

It also had Ribot. Ribot's a clever fellow. I like him. I like all Badniks. But I still like Ribot. Ribbit ribbit.

Sonic 3D Blast's Spring Stadium, if that was Robotnik's creation (I think it was... dunno who else would build a place with that many spikes, even for Sonic standards), was arguably one of his greatest ideas. What does Sonic have trouble with? Springs. What do you do? Make a place that's full of them. And fill it with spikes. Genius.

Most of the Sonic Adventure spotlight was on the Egg Carrier - an airship, how about that - but we can't forget about the Final Egg. First off, I know a lot of people prefer Crank the Heat Up, but I actually prefer Mechanical Resonance. It's strangely relaxing, yet still retains a dangerous tone to it. For the location itself, it's dark, it's full of traps, it's all Robotnik. You got a load of it, and it was gooood. (Also, the moving tunnels in the first part remind me of Grease, for some reason.) What I want to know is what the occasional death liquid is supposed to be. Is it a new type of Mega Mack?

One of the few things that I genuinely enjoyed from Sonic Adventure 2 was the Pyramid Base. We've seen Robotnik stick his face on his walls and everywhere else, but this is the first time we see him go off the deep end and stick his face on other things that don't actually belong to him. Filled with quicksand, door timers, Gamma Juniors, a very loud security robot, and even a few ghosts, you can't say this pyramid isn't well protected... and that's without mentioning the Egg Golem. I've always loved Ancient Egypt - you can thank Crash Bandicoot 3 for that influence - so this combination of Robotnik and Ancient Egypt was pretty much perfect for me.

Sonic Advance 2's Techno Base... what? You say that Techno Base might not belong to Robotnik? Well it does to me - it even has "Base" in the name - and I say I'll talk about whatever strikes me as Robotnik-y I say. Techno Base is sort of like a modern version of the aforementioned Electric Egg, only with the digital aspects exaggerated for a pleasant effect. It's full of colour, and yet it's also pitch black... sort of like the original version of Mario Kart 64's Rainbow Road, now that I think about it. But anyways, before the Cyber Track, before the Mad Matrix, and before the sadly not Eggman-related Digital Circuit, we had this zone... this zone that's full of Flicky robots.

Speaking of Cyber Track, this Sonic Advance 3 zone showed a different side to the digital zone concept. This time it actually felt like the inside of a computer, with a thousand lights, techno platforms, and a few "corrupted" bits of background here and there. Some might say it looked a little cluttered, but I respectfully disagree.

Coming from Shadow the Hedgehog aside, I always did like the look of Lava Shelter. Before Eggmanland and the Egg Factory came along, this was our first fully lava-themed Eggman base in a 3D Sonic game, and he didn't do a bad job with it. Lava Shelter also has my favourite design of the Lemmy Koopa Egg Pawns. (Fun Fact: Because I'm a very shallow person, I refer to this level as "the Gnasty Gnorc level", simply because of the platforms that go in and out and rest above lava.)

Pirates' Island from Sonic Rush Adventure... yes, this one does count, because it belonged to Captain Whisker, and he belongs to Robotnik and Nega, so it's technically his property by proxy. So I always did find it amusing how one year after Sonic the Hedgehog 2006, the final zone of this game just happens to look suspiciously like the Castle Town of Soleanna. This place is much more fun however, what with the water cannons, pirate robots, anchors, and offspring of Ecco the Dolphin. Top it off with a slapstick bar fight with Whisker and Johnny, and you have a good final full zone for a game that partially involves princesses with emotional insecurities.

Sonic Lost World's Lava Mountain might be an unpopular choice for being too Bowser-like (yeah yeah, insert Zavok jokes here, on you go), but I think there's a little more to it than that. Sure, it does feel somewhat like a more mechanical Bowser Castle, but it still has a SeaWorld-esque tunnel section, something that I always like in games anyway, but I especially find that interesting to see when it's placed in a land that's generally full of more lava than water. Gives it a surprising little bit of scenery depth, in my opinion.

So with that out of the way, you may now post awaaaaaayyyy!~

• Thumbs Up 6

Favorite On Land Eggman Stage

Definitely going with Launch Base Zone on this one. I don't know why but this just seemed very unique compared to other eggman stages. For one thing, the atmosphere is rather upbeat and light compared to the darker atmosphere of other stages. Plus one can't forget about the awesome music this level provides.

DAY 8(8 out of 30 complete):

Hmmm, I'm going to have to reach a bit, and go for Newtrogenic High Zone, which is the entiriety of Knuckles' Chaotix, because what other deranged mind would build such a sinister and inane theme park! and unlike colors park, this one is on ground(technicly, even if it is said to be on a floating island in one manual, it is still ground, thus a loophole)

I mean look at that clock, it screams eggman

Chaotix_Newtrogic_Outside.PNG

and I mean, why else would it have a Metal sonic roulette of doom

ChaotixPenBoss.png

I mean the overall design of the place, is wacky, over the top, and encentric, but colorful and diverse at the same time, though some may question why Robotnik would make a marina without water, then again, he has made hoverboats

Marina_madness.png

So ya, not only this place out there, this is also one of few times that eggman's base of sorts is the ENTIRE GAME, although its also the first time he actualy built that themepark

and why do I have a feeling I may be one of few to actualy think of this one, and yes I it does fit the criteria, its on an island tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1

My pick for this one would be:

320px-LaunchBaseZone.png

Launch Base is my favourite. It mostly stands out for it's two brilliant music tracks which are surprisingly atmospheric (psst my favourite is Act 2), but the whole design of the zone is enjoyable for me. It definitely punishes you a little if you're cocky, but the level design is overall strong mixing in challenge, speed and platforming. I also like how different the zone trope is and its significance to the story, with the Death Egg looming ominously in the background as you dash through, leading to a final battle aboard it, and then seeing it crash down at the end of the boss.

I like Scrap Brain Zone (Although i hate act 3) And Final Egg from Sonic Adventure mainly because it is quite long and has lots of traps (Although Scrap Brain has more traps).

Day 8

Oh for...I honestly didn't think I was going to struggle any further with providing an answer after the last one. Right, let's have a go:

railcanyon_thumb.jpg

Rail Canyon Base: One of my favorite levels when I was younger (sorry) and a pretty nifty concept. There's something novel about the idea that he built a base in the canyons and then installed miles of rails coming off of it for no reason. He's also had no idea what he was doing since every one of his Egg Trains either crash or explode. Bonkers and cool looking, perfect for an Eggman base.

Favourite Base...

KINTOBOR_FORTRESS_AOSTH_E27_BOOGEY-MANIA

THIS PLACE! It is menacing on the inside, THAT theme plays on the outside, and a GIANT NAKED GOLDEN ROBOTNIK is on the side.

What else is needed in a base? Seriously, I can't think of much to say, but I love that place.

• Thumbs Up 7

I vote for Launch Base for it's catchy soundtrack, being a final level, nice bosses, great level design and background sights and not to mention being noted in the manual for supposed speed traps, when really it was warning of a glitch. Ah, the memories.

DAY 8: ON-LAND EGGMAN BASE

My favorite Eggman base? This'll be fun.

Cyber Track (if that actually counts, considering your post) is one of them I like the most. And ooooh MAN do I love it. Everything here is just freaking awesome, the structure of the level is insanely cool, the designs made are pretty clever and to me, it just shines out a lot.

And did I mention the music of the level?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dgzglcldz5w

It's just too damn catchy for me to hate at all.

You were literally inside of a computer (maybe a Windows 95, judging by the platforms that funnily enough look like they could be error messages) running through bits and code, and it's all like a virtual Sonic/Eggman matrix.

It's just that awesome.

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8...Damn this one's hard. Uhhhh...guh. Looks like i'm Adventuring it today:

270px-Final_Egg.png

Final Egg (SA1)

Probably one of my favorite final stages in a Sonic game. It's so dark and ominous, but at the same time light enough to give it that perfectly badass environment. The traps, the massive size, those creepy-ass dolls, yeah...

And for the other one:

aa4b8d9eb41d60c7f79fd9e8a3e41907.png

The Pyramid/Hidden Base (SA2)

To this day I still kinda wonder when and how Eggman had the time to build something so intricate waaaaaay out in the desert like that. I love those little moving gears in the cutscenes, and the labyrinth feel of it makes the base feel all the more out of reach (Yeah...had problems with Death Chamber AND Egg Quarters...). The futuristic computer thing also kinda tickles my fancy a bit.

Argh, I don't like having to remember specifics/details...

Like yesterday, this is tough due to my lack of interest in the subject. Let me rack my brains for a min...

This was said to be an Eggman base!

sonic_heroes4.jpg

Rail Canyon! Now, being a Heroes connoisseur, I know how to handle the rails like a pro, so I treat the level like a giant rollercoaster level. The enemies and obstacles outside of the Egg Pawn grunts are imaginative and thematic (seriously, lethal trains. With faces. That go loco on the tracks. The Archie comic hasn't done them justice). The aesthetic is also very distinct in the series as a whole since canyon-ish levels are rare to begin with, let alone ones with a heavy industrial visual twang. On top of all that, it has memorable set-pieces in the form of the heavy artillery cannons, and it's the least conventional Eggman base in being more of a transportation and storage base than a heart of his operation. It's all cool. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Launch Base Zone ftw! It's got super funky music (go! go go go!), great level design (besides those annoyingly placed spikey enemies, hate them) and is SO fun to play! Not to mention it ends with one of the best final bosses in the Sonic series; Big Arms!

i think I might have to say Launch Base, just because it's so much fun to play through.

Why not Eggmanland? D:

I'll go for the second best then; Final Egg.

This place from the outside looks like a place Eggman is proud to show off. I mean look at those spotlights! That looooong corridor. Even that huge yellow Eggman insignia.

23w63ck.png

The Egg Carrier had lights on it as well and I think they add to the feeling that Eggman loves showcasing his creations in grand ways in Adventure. And outwardly, Final Egg does look grand. It looks like a lit-up city too. Eggman even shows-off was is probably his most valued creation - Metal Sonic.

Aside from that, Final Egg....after Eggmanland.... encapsulated just how nasty Eggman's bases can be and I like it's multi-levelled layout. In Sonic's story, you just knew that this was the penultimate stage not just from it's placement in his story but just how huge and difficult it could be. Sonic's stalking down Eggman fully intent on "getting him good" and Eggman presents a good challenge in the form of this base.

I also love the section with all of the dolls of the Sonic characters. Trust Eggman to provide targets for his E-Series gunner robots like these :lol:

Sadx17.png

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 8: GET A LOAD OF THIS Base Seriously He Puts a Lot of Work Into These Not-So-Secret Bases

I'm very fond of Launch Base. It's unique among Eggman bases, partly because of the water. Usually when an Eggman base has some kind of elemental theme, it's fire/lava. I wouldn't be surprised if he specifically wanted to launch the Death Egg from a base made on water just because of Sonic's infamous inability to swim--with that in mind, I am surprised that more of his bases don't exploit that weakness. I guess Aquarium Park counts, too?

Final Egg in Sonic Adventure is really cool. It's probably one of my favourite last levels in the series, and interestingly it's also the first level...in Gamma's story, that is. Speaking of which, the Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles dolls acting as target practice for badniks (and perhaps Eggman himself...) were a nice touch.

Sonic_egg_viper.jpg

Sadx17.png

Oh, and I always kinda liked the base in '06, White Acropolis!

320px-06_WhiteAcrop.png

That's about it, I think. Every other Eggman base I love is either in the sky or in space!

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 8: Favorite Eggman Ground Base

I have something to admit to you all. I... I don't much care for Launch Base-- *is immediately beaten with rubber hammers*

So my vote goes to Final Egg.

finalegg.jpg

After an entire game of constant run-ins with the Eggman, many of which ended in complete disaster, it felt good to get the upper hand and finally make your way deep into his stronghold. The cramped quarters, the engine-room aesthetics, the amount of different yet contextually-appropriate platforming obstacles and traps you ran into as you crept closer towards the final boss, and of course those weird pink enemies you would homing attack for an hour, made Final Egg really awesome and memorable. <3

• Thumbs Up 2

Why not Eggmanland? D:

Because if that and sky/space bases were allowed, the replies would look like this:

Eggmanland

Egg Carrier

Death Egg

Eggmanland

Eggmanland

Egg Carrier

Eggmanland

Death Egg

Egg Carrier

...And so on.

So like the little rule with the last question, I wanted to spice things up a bit. tongue.png

• Thumbs Up 1