Awoo.

Dr. Crusher Presents: The 30 Days of Sonic the Hedgehog (sponsored by PowerVerte)-Fin, PAGE 150

Dr. Crusher

As someone's who only experiences with Sonic 06 are the Game Grumps playthrough and the SSMB's general reaction to the game, I'm finding this tricky.

My first thought, before reading anyone else's posts though, was the scene where Knuckles fails to catch the card Sonic lightly throws to him. I just can't really understand why they went to the trouble of animating that. Clearly, Sonic Team were going for a serious, epic story...and then Knuckles just goofs off randomly.

That's not to mention any of the glitches, or any other stock animation done on the cheap. Similar to that hilarious Mephille's twirl, someone clearly thought this needed time and effort to include.

Failing to catch things has always been Knuckles' strongest character trait, after all...

The Mephiles ballerina twirl is so random, it's so disjointed with the rest of the scene and when he disappears neither him or his movement is ever mentioned again.

I also think the scene where Eggman is telling Elise what's gonna happen with Iblis for the second time in the game (this one's aboard the Egg Carrier) has arguably the funniest typing animation. Rouge's and Tails's are bad, but Eggman's just literally tapping and his head and body is bobbing along which makes it funnier. I don't have a GIF of it though.

And of course, who hasn't remembered the Egg Wyvern finale? Doink!

Gotta go for the classic:

tumblr_m6rbbuzD6e1qaii6yo1_500.gif

The very notion of this scene where Shadow kicks SIlver in the head, is - whilst very amusing - rather stupid. For a game where you don't have any other cut-scenes (I can think of) where one character physically hit's another, it did seem ridiculous to include one where Shadow kicks Silver in the head just to show that he's the boss and Silver is the new guy. I mean, he could have done Silver a serious brain injury tongue.png

tumblr_lxi8pbg5uV1r7i6tqo5_400.jpg

The scene where Sonic and Elise laugh feels incredibly awkward with the laughter being so bad.

elise_kisses_sonic___by_request__by_supe

This makes me cringe. The look on Knuckles face is priceless. Knux was thinking that he wished it was him giving Sonic the kiss of life.... 

My Favourite Sonic '06 animation? That's an odd question, indeed. But If I have to answer...Yeah, Verte nailed it.

I also loved this bit;

ibrEjrqagC82x5.gif

Knuckles takes a step in the wrong direction, realizes it then turns around and darts off in the right direction laugh.png

At least this is not an error but something that the creators intentionally made.

06 Animations...

Has got to be when Sonic is riding in the back of the whale in Wave Ocean...

WHAT IS IT DOING? It's just flopping about like a madman and when it's jumping it lands so sharply and it's just so poorly done, but every time I see it I just loose it and crack up. Seriously, who animated that thing? It's just bloody choppy and hilarious because of it.

The scene where it approaches the gate is my favourite part of that section, though. The whale slowly approaches the gate in it's awkward fashion, Sonic clinging on the dorsal fin, and then it flings him off with a smile on his face... Not to mention the whale could just swim under the gate that is 'securing' him...

At least this is not an error but something that the creators intentionally made.

Personally, I think that makes it even worse, considering what they must have been thinking about poor Knuckles at the time.

Personally, I think that makes it even worse, considering what they must have been thinking about poor Knuckles at the time.

'06 is a complete mess either way so...at least that made me chuckle.

Question #5: What are the funniest animations in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

Basically, what everyone has posted so far.

Like other users, I watched as Egoraptor and Jontron did a playthrough of the game and had flashbacks of everything they encountered and experienced.

My favorite was the Flame Core episode where Knuckles randomly flew up and got stuck to the ceiling.

tumblr_mja24kEdli1rbdv90o1_500.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic 06?

Ooooooooooh, that is just mean. There's so much shit to choose from.

I guess the One Where Knuckles Can't Catch:

So, Knuckles. How do you type with boxing gloves on?

• Thumbs Up 1

Day 5:

The banter between knuckles and rouge in the cut scene were there about to enter flame core.

Rouge says a few words and next thing you know knuckles is all up on her face.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006: Cutscenes (Shadow Part 2…:

Twice! It felt like the same bit was reused the second time.

Oh and the noise he makes when turning away from her "TEH!" Lol idk

Also Gotta love the "DONT TOUCH IT" quote from shadow.

Funniest 06 animation?

Either...

tumblr_mywrk9l1zc1qmmsq4o2_250.gif

"realistic environment"

tumblr_mpcnryEn491rvyhnio2_r1_500.gif

amy please stop looking at me like that

(apologies for the black and white and all, this was the only animation of the scene I could find)

or

vzAZUeR.png

[opera chanting intensifies]

I must be the only one who finds Iblis kid of adorable (or even sexy... urrrgh!)

I think it's time for me to bring out my (not-that-)old theory about Iblis the Fitness Master.

You see Iblis Phase 1, and he's a drunk has-been. He's had a hard life, and he's drinking all his sorrows away. He doesn't even bother with you, just chucking some buildings as if they're beer bottles to him, swaggering all over the place.

Silver defeats him, and he realises what he has become, further depressing him. We later see him as Iblis Phase 2, and he's stopped eating, losing his limbs and becoming a worm as a result. He still doesn't care about who he's fighting, he doesn't care about smashing into the pretty purple lights, he doesn't care about anything.

But then, there is hope. He realises that he can still do amazing backflips. This inspires him. This convinces him that his current way of life cannot continue. So he works out. Repeatedly. He now wants to be the biggest as well as the best.

And so, we finally see Iblis Phase 3, and there he is, pumping iron and everything. He gives the fight everything he's got, showing off his new Popeye arms, trudging along the lava as though he's just returned from a hard day of work, even throwing his giant meteor javelins.

But it's no use. Silver defeats him once again, and the Flames of Disaster finally fall. He accepts that nothing he does can change anything, so he goes to sleep. Forever.

I also think the scene where Eggman is telling Elise what's gonna happen with Iblis for the second time in the game (this one's aboard the Egg Carrier) has arguably the funniest typing animation. Rouge's and Tails's are bad, but Eggman's just literally tapping and his head and body is bobbing along which makes it funnier. I don't have a GIF of it though.

The real story is that Robotnik was trying to show off his jazz hands to Elise, but she didn't respond, so Robotnik was all like "Oh, well fuck you then" and started talking about his dreams of becoming a star in New York.

Magic?

"...Whoa whoa oh no I-I was with Eggman the whole time look hahahaha Elise you shouldn't be there you silly bitch hahahaha...!"

• Thumbs Up 2

"It was getting uncomfortable."

SO unformfortable for him to die like that.!KYgN8D.gif

...Dang Shadow, how can you die, yet afterwards do a backward flip yelling 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" and continue to drive!?

My favourite has to be the moment Sonic dies.

1TwmO7A.gif

That giant "duhhhhhhhhh" face just kills me. It looks like he's about to let out the most hardcore belch of all time.

tumblr_mywrk9l1zc1qmmsq4o2_250.gif

I also like this one. FUCK. EVERYTHING.

Ooh, gotta bring up this one!;

iKdGUbvq6HJHn.gif

I love it how he looks around as if he's trapped and is looking for a way out :lol:

• Thumbs Up 2

Question #5: What are the funniest animations in Sonic the Hedgehog 2006 for you?

I haven't actually played '06, so I can't comment like others have, but something I've noticed in general is just the hilariously bad acting in the in-game animation (I presume it's because of the mo-cap?) that ruins the tension of the scene. Yes, I know '06's story is a terribly written mess, and there's little than can save it, but maybe it wouldn't be quite a joke if the animation wasn't so poorly done (or perhaps I'm overly optimistic).

Like this: http://youtu.be/f1xwJfMksBw

I don't really care what anyone says, I think this is a great scene since it shows some of the camaraderie of Team Dark and even lends some emotion to Omega. Where it fails though is just painfully poor timing (Mephiles speaks and gets cut off, presumably because Omega would've blasted him again mid-sentence, but there's a long awkward pause) and Omega's slow movements (they tried too hard to make him big, hulking and way too robotic--I can't even blame Maddie Blaustein for the portrayal, since she was obviously working with lousy material to begin with) and all the tension of the scene gets sucked out of it.

And there's this which is funny both because of the awkward writing as well as the lousy animation: http://youtu.be/GcNY17-fKQ8

A lot of people already brought up Amy's sparkling shoujo eyes (I honestly thought it was an exaggeration until I looked it up!) but... her expression is so... dead looking at the same time. She looks like a zombie!

tumblr_mpcnryEn491rvyhnio2_r1_500.gif

amy please stop looking at me like that

(apologies for the black and white and all, this was the only animation of the scene I could find)

RUN!

As many people have already mentioned, Knuckles is goddamn idiot in Sonic 06. Pretty much every cinematic with him is designed to make him look like a complete moron.

When he fumbles to catch the hologram device Sonic throws at him. When him, Sonic and Tails all fall into the destroyed future and he lands head first. When goes the wrong way when looking for a Chaos Emerald to save Sonic and then turns around. Every single fucking scene he is in has something. I guess I'd go with him failing to catch the message that Sonic toss back at him because it's probably the least embarrassing given the stomp animation afterward.

These scenes used to make me incredibly angry. They still kind of upset me because things haven't changed much since then as far as Knuckles' characterization goes. When you remove that context tho', they're pretty fucking funny.

• Thumbs Up 6

Ooh, gotta bring up this one!;

iKdGUbvq6HJHn.gif

I love it how he looks around as if he's trapped and is looking for a way out laugh.png

He realised he's in the Sonic equivalent of The Truman Show.

Anyone who tries to leave gets killed by a sun god.

...Of course, when I say "he", I mean "the janitor acting as Robotnik". Since we all know, of course, that the real Robotnik is busy making the game, with his good friends Bubsy Bobcat and Dr. N. Tropy.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic's mouth here looks incredibly awkward. It never moves and the teeth look awful.

ibaS9EPRLdiBa7.gif

His eyes look soulless too. Also, Blaze's movement as if she's bored of standing there like a mannequin :lol:

• Thumbs Up 5

Day 5: Funniest Sonic '06 Animations 

I don't have the videos but... these, I've posted them before if only because they're just so baffling in every sense.

%7Boption%7D

uhelise.png

The tail.

The lifeless expression on his face (seriously it looked like he died and is propped up by a stick).

The fact Elise is looking right at Sonic's inner Hog.

The fact Sonic has his hand on elise's head in 'that' position.

The fact Sonic doesn't appear to have his head joined to his body.

All what's missing is the Brazzers logo in the bottom right of the screen.

And then we get this lovely example of animation fails.

chairsonic.png

Presenting! The invisible chair!

Seriously just try standing in that position.

Also... look at how sharp Sonic's spikes are... they look like something you'd find in a dungeon.

Edit: Someone Cosplay as both these images and then photoshop the Brazers logo in there.

• Thumbs Up 3

Also, Blaze's movement as if she's bored of standing there like a mannequin laugh.png

Fun Fact: I like to pretend that she's looking the other way during Sonic's "sadness" because she doesn't want the other two to notice that she's giggling to herself at how stupid this is.

• Thumbs Up 1

This is a hard one, not because the game is full of stupid shit, of course. What I mean is that it is common knowledge that 06 is pure crap and most people with a brain didn't even considered buying it.

Well, I don't know if I should be happy, but I actually experienced 06 at a friend's house who got it for like 15€ some years ago. I was fully aware that the game was total garbage, but until this point I'm going to mention the game just seemed reallly bad.

What am I talking about? The jumping/landing animation or rather the nonexistent landing animation when pressing a button to jump from thing to thing.

5UQ5W8x.gif

Look at this shit, just look at it. Sonic goes head-on against the rock and sand, but then outta nowhere he lands safely, not to mention that he disappeared in the middle of the air in this example.

Is it really that hard to program an animation that takes one second? Jesus.

Funniest animations? There isn't anything funny in this game, just laughable trash.

• Thumbs Up 1

Speaking of which, whenever Sonic pulls off his "Mach Speed Leaps" shall we say, and whenever he uses the Moonjump-in-Disguise Gem, I always hum the John Williams Superman theme.

EDIT: Oh balls, how could I forget. Going back to this one for a second...

iKdGUbvq6HJHn.gif

"Eeehhh, macarena!"

• Thumbs Up 6

This is a hard one, not because the game is full of stupid shit, of course. What I mean is that it is common knowledge that 06 is pure crap and most people with a brain didn't even considered buying it.

Well, I don't know if I should be happy, but I actually experienced 06 at a friend's house who got it for like 15€ some years ago. I was fully aware that the game was total garbage, but until this point I'm going to mention the game just seemed reallly bad.

What am I talking about? The jumping/landing animation or rather the nonexistent landing animation when pressing a button to jump from thing to thing.

5UQ5W8x.gif

Look at this shit, just look at it. Sonic goes head-on against the rock and sand, but then outta nowhere he lands safely, not to mention that he disappeared in the middle of the air in this example.

Is it really that hard to program an animation that takes one second? Jesus.

Funniest animations? There isn't anything funny in this game, just laughable trash.

Gonn have to piggyback off this one. It always looks so god damn silly to me, lol. He's just soaring like an airplane, not a care in the world.

The whole game is full of this shit though. 

• Thumbs Up 1