Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

And the point of this is what, exactly? The only thing Penders did on that issue was the inking and letters of the backstory, IIRC.

Edited by Promethean0416
Changing post. I screwed up and read the wrong list.

45 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

And the point of this is what, exactly? Considering that Ian isn't on the list of attendees and the only thing Penders did on that issue was the inking and letters of the backstory, IIRC.

The two-facedness of it all is staggering. This bozo denigrates Flynn every chance he gets and then turns around and uses the guy to try and draw attention to his own stall. What a slimeball.

6 minutes ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

... I'm probably worrying over nothing, but God I hope nothing comes of these two being in the same place for a week.

• Thumbs Up 5

12 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

And here we go with more of the man tooting his own horn as usual:

Pretty sure there is a 99.9% chance of that not happening with the secondary licensor fees, so-called "guidelines" on certain characters, etc.

The easy way around is that they will simply create new characters to fulfill similar roles (Surge/Scourge), (Clutch/Mammoth Mogul), to name a couple of examples.

Pretty certain sega fully owns the satam staff and advocate for a second but he has a point about sega could have at least one project with the satam cast to draw in the die hard fans

12 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Good lord, this is the scummiest most spiteful thing I have ever read. Considering Penders constantly mocks Ian's work and calls it trash, irrelevant, etc., I can only assume what he wants is for people to have him sign it first, then have Ian see it and get upset or something. Ian of course won't do that because he's a professional and not a salty little manchild like Penders, but still. Little Kenny will take any chance to poke and prod at Ian and it's genuinely sad to watch.

Edited by joe_schmoe99
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Absolutely 2

A bit late, but Dawn of the Third Day:

Looks like his booth is getting a bit of activity there...

17 hours ago, horridus said:

... I'm probably worrying over nothing, but God I hope nothing comes of these two being in the same place for a week.

You got nothing to worry about bud, Ian's shown himself to be a pretty professional guy if his twitter and the bumblekast vids are anything to go by.

1 hour ago, Zonic 2099 said:

You got nothing to worry about bud, Ian's shown himself to be a pretty professional guy if his twitter and the bumblekast vids are anything to go by.

I'm not even remotely worried about Flynn doing something stupid. Penders causing a scene or trying something slimy/underhanded on the other hand? That one I do worry about, especially when he's already trying to profit off the guy while having nothing but blatant contempt for him.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, horridus said:

I'm not even remotely worried about Flynn doing something stupid. Penders causing a scene or trying something slimy/underhanded on the other hand? That one I do worry about, especially when he's already trying to profit off the guy while having nothing but blatant contempt for him.

I honestly feel like the best case scenario (IF anything happens) is that Penders will try to subtly get under Flynn's skin and get completely ignored. Ken's an irredeemable dumbass, but I don't think he would have the capability to do anything especially egregious. At least not in a public setting like that.

• Thumbs Up 4

21 minutes ago, joe_schmoe99 said:

I honestly feel like the best case scenario (IF anything happens) is that Penders will try to subtly get under Flynn's skin and get completely ignored. Ken's an irredeemable dumbass, but I don't think he would have the capability to do anything especially egregious. At least not in a public setting like that.

Yeah, pretty much. I think the most he'd attempt, if anything, would be pretending that there are no hard feelings and let bygones be bygones and so forth, trying to spin basic politeness as a roaring endorsement (the way he always does). I am, however, a worrywart by nature, so I can't help but envision things spiraling into the Worst Case Scenario We Never Thought Of.

• Thumbs Up 3

Yeah, but we won't truly know until FANEXPO begins, so guess we will see how this turns out. I don't think those two ever met face-to-face except for one brief moment at a convention many years ago post-lawsuit, which was discussed briefly on Twitter IIRC.

Anyway, more horn-tooting from the man:

I will agree to a certain extent of the part that there is likely nothing like what he is putting out, but as for the other parts, it's all impractical, outdated, and too far into the Uncanny Valley. And the voice acting from the previous previews (namely, the prequel "comic"), it sounded like whoever did them was just bored and really, it was unengaging, to say the least. 

50 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

I will agree to a certain extent of the part that there is likely nothing like what he is putting out, but as for the other parts, it's all impractical, outdated, and too far into the Uncanny Valley. And the voice acting from the previous previews (namely, the prequel "comic"), it sounded like whoever did them was just bored and really, it was unengaging, to say the least. 

Yeah, I saw some footage of the app courtesy of the TKP blog a few days ago and not only is the art expectedly awful. The voice "acting" is absolutely terrible. I think a lot of that stems from the fact Penders just slapped a script in the actors' hands and said "okay, read this." Dude doesn't strike me as a capable vocal director... or a capable anything, really. He also probably got the cheapest (and by extension, most amateur) people he could.

• Thumbs Up 3

1 minute ago, joe_schmoe99 said:

Yeah, I saw some footage of the app courtesy of the TKP blog a few days ago and not only is the art expectedly awful. The voice "acting" is absolutely terrible. I think a lot of that stems from the fact Penders just slapped a script in the actors' hands and said "okay, read this." Dude doesn't strike me as a capable vocal director... or a capable anything, really. He also probably got the cheapest (and by extension, most amateur) people he could.

The first thing I immediately think of when it comes to Penders' skills as a voice director is about on par with something like this:

It definitely screams like Penders seems to think voice acting is just handing a piece of paper to someone and telling them to read it.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Yeah, but we won't truly know until FANEXPO begins, so guess we will see how this turns out. I don't think those two ever met face-to-face except for one brief moment at a convention many years ago post-lawsuit, which was discussed briefly on Twitter IIRC.

Anyway, more horn-tooting from the man:

Oooh yeah, his stuff DEFINITELY isn't like anything else, I will give him that much.

... honestly this is a nice reminder of why you can never take anything Penders says at face value, especially when it comes to his own stuff. He always chooses to interpret basic politeness as a roaring endorsement of his work, and yet somehow there is never any more positive buzz afterwards or word of mouth despite how much his work 'wows' people.

1 hour ago, joe_schmoe99 said:

I'm personally counting down the days until he cracks and decides to resort to AI voice acting as a cheap alternative to actual VA's.

• Thumbs Up 1

I’m actually super excited now!  Ian originally said he wasn’t doing FanExpo this year!   But if he is, I DEFINITELY want to meet him!  

Sonic fans are definitely eating well at this con this year!  (Ken excluded, but I’ll still swing by, just to report back to you guys.  XD)

• Thumbs Up 2

Dawn of the Final Day:

And regarding the shirt, didn't he wear that at a previous convention months ago and gave the same shout-out? Is this in case they didn't see it the first time?

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Hmmm...

Somebody seems bitter...

He really does seem incapable of grasping that there isn't going to be a 'let bygones be bygones' phase of his post-lawsuit life.

• Thumbs Up 2

Aren't those credits just for the staff that have been hired for that issue anyway.

Also I'd give Mark Millar better odds of ever writing something for Sonic again than Ken has.

10 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Hmmm...

Somebody seems bitter...

He's just upset that he never got contacted to do this special (although there's a HUGE REASON for that).

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Hmmm...

Somebody seems bitter...

I wonder whose fault that is.. what could've led to such a large part of Sonic's publishing history needing to be ignored

11 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

He's just upset that he never got contacted to do this special (although there's a HUGE REASON for that).

Seriously.  Dude wouldn’t be complaining about this at all if he’d been allowed to participate.

• Thumbs Up 3

22 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I am LOLing!!1!

Poor Ken doesn't understand how the real world works. Man deliberately burned down every bridge he possibly could while working with SEGA, and now he acts like they're the bad guy in the scenario. It's so funny and sad to watch.

• Thumbs Up 8

Welp, mark those calendars once again and let's see if this deadline is actually true:

https://kenpenders.com/latest-update-about-the-lara-su-chronicles-beginnings-print-release/

Wow, he seems confident regarding the release of the 25YL stories, but we'll see if Sega takes notice IF he actually releases the damn thing this time...

On another note, aside from this "news", not much else from his time at SDCC aside from that "commission" of Knuckles Live featuring Macaulay Culkin Jr. as well as another with a Sonic/Tails duo with human faces from his post regarding his time at SDCC: 

https://kenpenders.com/my-comic-con-report/

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.
  • Unamused 1