Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Oh for the love of Pete.  Isn’t this art like 10 years old now or something? Why’d it take him this long to add dialogue?

I don’t understand why he doesn’t do this logically.  He could serialize it and just post a single page a few times a week, and then compile it into a book later.  Also his colouring drives me nuts because even with flat colours, he just goes about it in the most complicated way ever.  I could do the same thing in 5 minutes and I have.

Also, whet us the deal with hinting at nudity, an adult rating, and giving the characters no pants and miniskirts?  Is he planning on NSFW shots of Geoffrey’s upskirt or something?  🙃

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 1

Its not the first time its been posted with the text and it won't be the last. I expect we'll be seeing all the usual pages soon.

4 minutes ago, DaddlerTheDalek said:

"Coming soon in 2012"...

And we are still waiting...

• Absolutely 1

38 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

And we are still waiting...

Are we approaching the tenth anniversary of that announcement or has it passed already?

• Absolutely 1

4 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

Are we approaching the tenth anniversary of that announcement or has it passed already?

Passed in December 2011, according to Wikipedia.

• Absolutely 1

‘Mkay.

Don’t really have much to say on the character designs and Penders inability to let go of Sonic that wasn’t already said.

will say that if there’s something Penders could make bank on, it’s outfit designs. Seriously, screw making a comic (or, again, fucking hire a professional and redesign them), get into fashion instead! Or design concept outfits for commissions! He actually has something in that area.

Seriously, it amazes me that Penders could actually get somewhere and yet he just…wastes it screaming on Twitter for a decade (which is why I’ll continue to not have a Twitter myself until it becomes absolutely necessary).

28 minutes ago, CrownSlayer’s Shadow said:

will say that if there’s something Penders could make bank on, it’s outfit designs. Seriously, screw making a comic (or, again, fucking hire a professional and redesign them), get into fashion instead! Or design concept outfits for commissions! He actually has something in that area.

The man literally has had nice folk come up and offer their own designs and whatnot, and he's just rudely brushed them off more than anything. I remember years ago, that girl who had a much better design in mind for the Ec'hid'nas (or whatever they're called over in Pender Land).

We make fun of him for not getting a comic out for ten freakin' years (he's never admitted any fault so it's fair game to criticize), but he could have had it the year of if he got even cheap artists to just draw all this garbage for him. He seems adamant on doing it all himself, and even if he were good it's clear that it takes so long that it would never be worth it.

I think after the horrors of Archie daring to...use stuff he created for them in a collaborative licensed work, he's just paranoid about being anything but $100% in control of every single aspect of anything that ever bears his name. This is why when he was doing his "pay me $100,000 to make a fancomic" bullshit, there were no options for the echidnas.

• Absolutely 3

And "preview" number 2:

Seems to be using his signature font style for what I am presuming is an AI of sorts?

2 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

And "preview" number 2:

Seems to be using his signature font style for what I am presuming is an AI of sorts?

Holy crap that IS new.  Also, I agree; what is with that font?  He uses it for every single project he does, regardless of what it is.  o.O

• Thumbs Up 2

Big you made this... I made this energy.

Also some really bad work on it particularly in the top half with the zoomed sky badly tinted water and the crust you get when brightening shadows on the rocks.

• Thumbs Up 1

How does his Comic Con table work? I heard he ditched his signings of Sonic Archives which takes a pretty decent chunk away from revenue.

5 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

And "preview" number 2:

Oh hey, it's that page that got leaked last November. I remember because I was struck by how weird K'nox's facial expression was given the context, and the fact he seems to have been colored and shaded in a different way from his daughter despite them presumably being in the same area. Man, all these years and he STILL can't make photograph backgrounds look good. 

3 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

Big you made this... I made this energy.

Also some really bad work on it particularly in the top half with the zoomed sky badly tinted water and the crust you get when brightening shadows on the rocks.

Penders keeps using that word, collage. I am not sure he knows what it means. And his stated purpose in using these photographs is a tad undermined by the fact that so far, all the environments he's used are *from Earth*. It makes Avion look MORE like Earth, not less. 

I don't know how but I swear he somehow puts less than zero thought into this. It's almost miraculous, really. 

• Thumbs Up 2

And of course, there's this "interesting" T-shirt:

Is anyone attending the Comic-Con this year?

Well, at least I can take pride in my art skills. ‘Cuz this is the most I can fucking do, so I’m not really one to judge Penders on this when he can actually do more than me.7FA75F80-9369-4624-A2DC-2D20A9747130.thumb.jpeg.e82264fff28256915ffb03c36759d90e.jpeg373871BC-E4E4-4E4F-9D5D-04BF6DD24D53.thumb.jpeg.d954f582afebbcfb506933bf04e0c7ff.jpeg

I guarantee that I’d probably do a lot worse at an attempt than what Penders put out.

That said, this is precisely why there are artists who can do it for you if you just swallow your pride.

• Thumbs Up 3

I've seen Penders's drawings of humans (yes, even ones that aren't traced from Anthony Mackie) and he could be a lot worse. The problem is he's stuck on this idea that he needs to have this hideous middle ground between human and Sonic and, as usual, refuses to ever accept criticism.

47 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I've seen Penders's drawings of humans (yes, even ones that aren't traced from Anthony Mackie) and he could be a lot worse. The problem is he's stuck on this idea that he needs to have this hideous middle ground between human and Sonic and, as usual, refuses to ever accept criticism.

Agreed.  He did good work on the Star Trek TNG comics, and I really enjoyed how he drew Data.

• Thumbs Up 1

Looks like he is putting up his "GALLERY" page prior to Comic Con. Not too sure about the prices, though I am not an expert on freelance art commission rates, so I will defer to anyone on here who knows the rates better.

On 7/15/2022 at 5:11 AM, Shaddy Zaphod said:

We make fun of him for not getting a comic out for ten freakin' years (he's never admitted any fault so it's fair game to criticize), but he could have had it the year of if he got even cheap artists to just draw all this garbage for him. He seems adamant on doing it all himself,

On his old dead forum I remember that Penders said that he considered hiring artists, but he decided to not hire anyone to help him due to the fact that he would have to have the artists sign work for hire contracts. And after fighting Archie for the rights to his characters it would make him look like a hypocrite if he than forced people to sign their rights away.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's like the man has no idea what a commission is.

And it never ceases to astound me whenever I see him actually write the way he does dialogue in his comics with the EMPHASIS seemingly AT random.

17 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

And of course, there's this "interesting" T-shirt:

Is anyone attending the Comic-Con this year?

Lmao at someone in the comments expecting him to know about sonic.exe but it did give this nugget of information.

I get that stories can go through a lot of revisions but I kinda feel that after a decade+ it should either be locked in or written off as a bad idea.