Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

6 hours ago, Razule said:

To be fair, I haven't released a single chapter in that time either. Most people haven't. Can we really blame him? We're living in a pandemic.

And yet you've probably still done far more than him.

• Thumbs Up 2

In time it has taken Ken Penders to so far release anything at all (and still hasn't) after announcing his comic, I have reverse engineered or otherwise developed and published at least 6 video games in half the time. He frankly has no excuse at all.

And sure, making a comic isn't easy, but at the rate he's going he'll be taking longer to produce a single issue of his comic than the entire production history of Duke Nukem Forever. Which was 14 years.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 5

13 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

https://thankskenpenders.tumblr.com/post/689341098842259456/i-havent-been-keeping-tabs-on-the-man-because

tfw there's been nearly 300 comics of sonic released ever since this graphic novel has been announced, and yet not a single chapter has been released.

Fair enough assessment.  Ken hasn’t done ANYTHING with this comic and likely won’t.  Which is a weird shame.  I wanted to see the final result for morbid curiosity’s sake.  

• Thumbs Up 3

On 7/9/2022 at 8:28 AM, Zonic 2099 said:

Sonic was in his infancy back then. DiC & Archie didn't think they could just work with a super fast blue Hedgehog and his two tailed fox sidekick fighting a fat man putting small animals in robots. With the optional Chaos Emeralds to go super. Hence the need to give Sonic his freedom fighter allies and two siblings and Robotnik his henchmen in Snively, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts and Sleet & Dingo.

Had DiC created SATam/AoSTH/Sonic Underground and Archie made their comic at some point in between Sonic Heroes release and Sonic 06's even with every single person who worked for the show and comic I'd imagine very few of the characters and locations created for the shows and comic would actually end up being created.

Why create more friends or siblings to co-star with Sonic when he has allies besides Tails in Knuckles, Amy, The Chaotix probably minus Mighty, Big, Cream and can work along side Shadow, Rouge & Omega. There wouldn't really be a need for the Kingdom of Acorn or Planet Mobius when Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and 06 show that humans also shown to live on the world Sonic inhabits unless they took the Sonic X approach.

Hell, I'd even imagine Ken might have ended up more interested in Shadow than Knuckles because the former's more science fiction than the latter. And Sonic Adventure already playing with Echidna lore.

Besides all that, Ken was getting grief all the way back then too.  People wrote letters to the comic criticizing his art, and in 1997, he had Gonterman after him over his treatment of Sally Acorn:  http://doorsclosing.com/lursk/gonterman/comics/sally/

• Thumbs Up 1

Good news folks, we've got ourselves an update!

Aaand by 'update' I mean 'art of a hypothetical character design for someone he can't actually use for the Lara-Su Chronicles'. 

Guy's doing a TERRIFIC job of moving on from Sonic, yep. 

• Chuckle 2
  • My Emmerdoods 2
  • Absolutely 1

20 minutes ago, horridus said:

Good news folks, we've got ourselves an update!

Aaand by 'update' I mean 'art of a hypothetical character design for someone he can't actually use for the Lara-Su Chronicles'. 

Guy's doing a TERRIFIC job of moving on from Sonic, yep. 

Good lord.

Ironically, just yesterday a friend and I were discussing Sonic comics, and Penders’ fixation on Knuckles.  I told them that I was relieved that Knuckles was his focus and not Tails, because I’d hate to see the results.

I think I jinxed myself. 😭

• Chuckle 1
  • Absolutely 5

On 7/9/2022 at 1:28 PM, Zonic 2099 said:

Sonic was in his infancy back then. DiC & Archie didn't think they could just work with a super fast blue Hedgehog and his two tailed fox sidekick fighting a fat man putting small animals in robots. With the optional Chaos Emeralds to go super. Hence the need to give Sonic his freedom fighter allies and two siblings and Robotnik his henchmen in Snively, Scratch, Grounder, Coconuts and Sleet & Dingo.

Had DiC created SATam/AoSTH/Sonic Underground and Archie made their comic at some point in between Sonic Heroes release and Sonic 06's even with every single person who worked for the show and comic I'd imagine very few of the characters and locations created for the shows and comic would actually end up being created.

Why create more friends or siblings to co-star with Sonic when he has allies besides Tails in Knuckles, Amy, The Chaotix probably minus Mighty, Big, Cream and can work along side Shadow, Rouge & Omega. There wouldn't really be a need for the Kingdom of Acorn or Planet Mobius when Sonic Adventure 1, 2 and 06 show that humans also shown to live on the world Sonic inhabits unless they took the Sonic X approach.

Hell, I'd even imagine Ken might have ended up more interested in Shadow than Knuckles because the former's more science fiction than the latter. And Sonic Adventure already playing with Echidna lore.

Where do I even start with this tweet. Even beyond the whole ‘community was in its infancy’ thing…

1. There has been at least one Sonic game released almost every year since 1991-2014. Especially in the 90s, game releases were not “sporadic”.

2. In contrast, this has been the longest period of time between mainline Sonic the Hedgehog games. If anything, game releases are MORE sporadic now compared to back then.

3. People arguably love Sonic’s other media more than the games at this point. Fans LOVE the movies, IDW doesn’t get any mainstream vitriol from what I’ve seen, and people seem really excited about Sonic Prime. Hell, even when Sonic Boom as a multi-media project crashed and burned and people ragged on the games, there was still a lot of love for the TV series.

I think Ken is projecting a little bit here; trying to imply that there is “vitriol and venom” against Sonic projects that aren’t the games (when in fact I think the opposite is true)… when what’s really happening is that people are just sending all of that to Penders directly. Whether that’s justified or not isn’t for me to say, but he seems to be taking all of that constant criticism and falsely extrapolating that to all Sonic media.

(The hilarious thing about that being that Penders doesn’t even have anything to do with Sonic anymore, as much as he keeps clearly trying with that Tails drawing etc)

• Thumbs Up 9

13 minutes ago, Dreadknux said:

3. People arguably love Sonic’s other media more than the games at this point. Fans LOVE the movies, IDW doesn’t get any mainstream vitriol from what I’ve seen, and people seem really excited about Sonic Prime. Hell, even when Sonic Boom as a multi-media project crashed and burned and people ragged on the games, there was still a lot of love for the TV series.

I think Ken is projecting a little bit here; trying to imply that there is “vitriol and venom” against Sonic projects that aren’t the games (when in fact I think the opposite is true)… when what’s really happening is that people are just sending all of that to Penders directly. Whether that’s justified or not isn’t for me to say, but he seems to be taking all of that constant criticism and falsely extrapolating that to all Sonic media.

Guy's seething with envy.

Like, I honestly don't really care or am fairly indifferent to Sonic media, but even I can tell that them simply constantly existing and doing as well as they are must be a constant blow to Ken's ego. The guy desperately wants to be validated, he wants to be at the helm of his own Sonicverse where he reigns and shows the world how much better he is than those he hates, how much he made Sonic great again...

And in reality, he has nothing to show for it, because the guy can't change or grow up out of his self-absorbed attitude and inability to improve himself. All he can do is Klingon to a past that, through his own idiocy and Archie's incompetence, will only be seen as either a footnote in the legacy of Sonic, or have him permanently REVILED by the fans for destroying something they loved just for satiating his own ego.

• Thumbs Up 7

I have to admit, the delusion and self esteem on this man is absurdly impressive.  It’s like watching Dadaism.

Ken, stop talking about freaking nudity. It may not be a big deal but you look like a creep! 

Also "my fanbase is mainly offline" is the lamest "my girlfriend doesn't come here, she's in Canada" kind of excuses.

• Thumbs Up 5

Except for all the times you've complained about IDW Sonic, Archie Sonic, Ian Flynn, the games, all the Sonic fans you've pissed off.

• Thumbs Up 7

2 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Except for all the times you've complained about IDW Sonic, Archie Sonic, Ian Flynn, the games, all the Sonic fans you've pissed off.

The thing the really bothers me here is that people are stepping up and giving really good explanations as to why he’s so disliked and what he can do to change that.  But he either ignores everything or responds in some condescending manner that furthers their point.  

It’s frustrating to watch because it would be great to see him turn around.  But at this point, he’s not going to.  

It’s also upsetting on another level.  I know a number of other animation and comic artists who really made their mark in the 80s and 90s like Ken did.  But they’ve all retired and instead of hanging onto the franchises they worked on and trying to claim relevance and character properties, they’re basking in what they had, and moving on with their lives.  At his age, Ken really needs to do the same. 

• Nice Smile 4

12 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

More Sukini for the "fans" and...oh boy.

My reaction when I read the "nude" part...

tng-3-13-picard-facepalm-1068x580.jpg

5 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

At this point, just how alien is the concept of self-reflection to Mr. Penders?

5 hours ago, The Tenth Doctor said:

Also "my fanbase is mainly offline" is the lamest "my girlfriend doesn't come here, she's in Canada" kind of excuses.

What I find hilarious about this is if they're mainly offline, then who is he going to sell this mainly online digital comic book to?

5 hours ago, Zonic 2099 said:

To say nothing of how he has impacted the stuff we do care about, all in the service of a comic he's never released. It's like... yeah, people are going to pay attention to that, if only to see why we had to lose everything for him.

19 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

At this point, just how alien is the concept of self-reflection to Mr. Penders?

Maybe it's not alien enough for him to pay attention to. What if we referred to it as "sel'f ref'lec-tion" instead, maybe then he'd grok on to it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 7
  • Absolutely 1

1 hour ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

What I find hilarious about this is if they're mainly offline, then who is he going to sell this mainly online digital comic book to?

To say nothing of how he has impacted the stuff we do care about, all in the service of a comic he's never released. It's like... yeah, people are going to pay attention to that, if only to see why we had to lose everything for him.

Maybe it's not alien enough for him to pay attention to. What if we referred to it as "sel'f ref'lec-tion" instead, maybe then he'd grok on to it.

At least there’s that online Archie Sonic fan revival. I’ve read some of it, it’s really good, and definitely a labour of love.  Even with Penders damaging the comics as much as he did, there’s projects like this that make life even out.

• Nice Smile 3

1 hour ago, Razule said:

Is his "offline fans" just family, friends, and people he meets at cons?

Probably the two former.  From what I’ve heard, his con table is usually pretty dead.

56 minutes ago, babsiwuff said:

Probably the two former.  From what I’ve heard, his con table is usually pretty dead.

That's sad....

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

That's sad....

Somehow, I just can't bring myself to feel very broken up about it.

4 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

That's sad....

You reap what you sow. He acts like a jerk, he gets badly treated. I can get fighting for what you are owed, we all can. Yet he's been a truly vile human being over it that he'll never truly be forgiven.

I mean it's sad that he brought all this on himself.  If he had just left things alone after winning the lawsuit, then maybe he would have been in a better place.  But, because he keeps on being nasty to people, he just made things worse for himself and everyone involved.

• Thumbs Up 2

I think this was already posted before, but without the dialogue:

If so, then disregard. Still not a fan of the uncanny valley art style and was he pointing a gun at her? And gotta love that backwards chair lounging style.

It's not even the art that bothers me as much, it's the fact that every proper noun is bolded; Ken's always done this and I don't think I've ever seen other comics do this before.

It bugged me so much in the Archie Comics, like imagining the characters shouting the bolded words slowly with enunciation like it's Dora the Explorer or something.

• Thumbs Up 6