Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

34 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I'm surprised that SEGA is not stepping in to prevent Penders from using Tails in any kind of way.

He'd actually have to progress to get it to that point. And good luck with him progressing o

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I'm surprised that SEGA is not stepping in to prevent Penders from using Tails in any kind of way.

Because he’s not in the book, it’s a commission where someone paid him to do Tails in the style of TL-SC. 

Still looks terrible, but not much SEGA could actually do unless they’re going to suddenly start pursuing everyone who does Sonic commissions and fan art.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

1 hour ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Because he’s not in the book, it’s a commission where someone paid him to do Tails in the style of TL-SC. 

Still looks terrible, but not much SEGA could actually do unless they’re going to suddenly start pursuing everyone who does Sonic commissions and fan art.

Psh, that's what he says, anyway.  Besides that?  He already has Knuckles in there, complete with his OVA hat.  I hate to say it, but if Penders changed the name of this character to "Larry the Tapdancing Cat" or something, Sega wouldn't have much ground because at this point, this thing looks nothing like Tails, outside of the two tails and the vague shape of the character's face.

On 9/7/2022 at 1:47 PM, horridus said:

I am staggered by how... grody that beard looks. Like for real, it looks like it hasn't been cleaned in about a decade, and likewise the emphasis of realism in this style only highlights how weird a beard and head of hair growing from a creature with a fur coat. And then there are the pink, hairless lips and palms of his hands which look... deeply unnerving for reasons I can't quite explain.

Just wanted to step in and say how much I enjoy reading what you have to say on this forum.  You're amazingly insightful, and in many cases, very funny. :)

• Thumbs Up 2
  • Nice Smile 1

Bruh, I’m not the best artist and looking at that Not!Tails…actually kinda gives me a sense of hope for my own skills.

Not that the Not!Tails is any good…dafuqueon Penders?

Oh my gosh, that "Tails" is hilarious. I laughed out loud. What an abomination. It's just so wrong and misconceived on every level. I normally ignore Penders these days since I don't want to get mad over nothing, but this is definitely just funny and not angering.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Absolutely 1

3 hours ago, Monkey Destruction Switch said:

Oh my gosh, that "Tails" is hilarious. I laughed out loud. What an abomination. It's just so wrong and misconceived on every level. I normally ignore Penders these days since I don't want to get mad over nothing, but this is definitely just funny and not angering.

Yeah, that Tails is like the weirdest thing I've ever seen!

• Way Past Cool 1

Another sneak preview: 

This seems kind of...scrambled, to be honest. Is this supposed to be multiple flashbacks happening at once?

If this is his tutorial for plotting a page of a comic book, it's a terrible one. There's no indication of any kind of event flow. Unless I'm mistaken, I'm fairly certain even at this point, there's supposed to be rough panels as a guide for how the page is being laid out, and on top of that, even arrows indicating a order of which panel goes to which panel. 

This meanwhile looks like a jumble of images with no discernible order or rhyme/reason to them.

• Thumbs Up 5

5 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Another sneak preview: 

This seems kind of...scrambled, to be honest. Is this supposed to be multiple flashbacks happening at once?

*Squints* Okay so going by dialogue, that one Echyd'nya Lara is chatting with about making a bet with is a redesigned Rutan. And is it just me or do those head markings look... familiar?

FiniandLocke.png.bb15a11959a618ae81f45fdb879e3dad.png

I'd be shocked, but let's face it- it's exactly the kind of thing he'd do. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, horridus said:

*Squints* Okay so going by dialogue, that one Echyd'nya Lara is chatting with about making a bet with is a redesigned Rutan. And is it just me or do those head markings look... familiar?

FiniandLocke.png.bb15a11959a618ae81f45fdb879e3dad.png

I'd be shocked, but let's face it- it's exactly the kind of thing he'd do. 

An interesting comparison, considering the theories on who his father is.

Anyway, seems we got a confirmation that Lara-Su is 17, though didn't he say she was a different age before? Maybe this is an attempt to make the Sukini more appropriate for her?

17 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

Another sneak preview: 

One of my favourite novels is Stephen King’s Christine.  When the car first starts regenerating herself, it’s really random.  Half of the grill and the antenna look new but the rest of the grill is a mess.  Half the paint looks like new, the other half is rusted metal.  The back seat is worn but the front seat looks mint.  

This is how Ken is working on this comic.  Half the sketches are rough outlines but others are finished.  He has some parts coloured, and the speech bubbles in, but he hasn’t finished the concept sketches.

And then in some cases, entire pages are done from the middle but the beginning of the story is still rough.  Not to mention following the speech bubbles is a challenge on its own.  I’ve never seen anything like this before.  Is something honestly wrong with him?

20 hours ago, Promethean0416 said:

An interesting comparison, considering the theories on who his father is.

Anyway, seems we got a confirmation that Lara-Su is 17, though didn't he say she was a different age before? Maybe this is an attempt to make the Sukini more appropriate for her?

A theory I'm not particularly fond of given what Finitevus is like, and I'm even less fond of the possibility given how much Penders tends to rail against anything that 'interferes' with the status quo he made for his Echidna. Though that said, I wouldn't be shocked given that he only 'recently' figured out who Rutan's father could be. Doubt we're gonna find out for certain though at the rate this is (not) getting done. 

As for Lara's age, in the original 25YL stories she was 16 years old- her unveiling ceremony is basically the Echidna version of a sweet sixteen, something Penders had mentioned in the past. Either this is in fact mean to take place a year later or, as you suggest, he decided to change her age to make the outfit more acceptable for his readers... whoever they are. 

• Thumbs Up 2

35 minutes ago, horridus said:

his readers... whoever they are. 

Maybe the looks his family and people at the local comic shop were giving him were starting to get to him...

And we have page 4 of "The Storm".

Artwork is still uncanny valley, and there's definitely some photoshopped images there. Also, see if anyone can find the recycled Knuck-excuse me, I mean Praetorian artwork on this page.

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.

10 minutes ago, Promethean0416 said:

And we have page 4 of "The Storm".

Artwork is still uncanny valley, and there's definitely some photoshopped images there. Also, see if anyone can find the recycled Knuck-excuse me, I mean Praetorian artwork on this page.

ARGH! MY EYES!!!

7 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

haven't we had that page for years?

I do recognize one of the panels, but maybe minus the dialogue?

He's apparently made more "progress" on an interquel that he has on the actual new main book. Hilarious if it weren't so sad at this point.

5 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

He's apparently made more "progress" on an interview that he has on the actual new main book. Hilarious if it weren't so sad at this point.

What interview?

As for the page itself, I don’t get where the story is going.  Mobius 25 Years Later was nothing vague discussion of “Hey look, there’s a thing in the sky.  Is it dangerous?  Time will tell…”

And now we have the Storm which is more “Hey look, there’s a thing in the sky.  Is it dangerous?  Time will tell…”

Artwise, what the hell is that back view on Geoffrey?!  And stuff just doesn’t make sense.  Like, why is the dog pointing at a picture of Knuckles and looking concerned?  Also they mention the Queen.  Is Sally in this thing now?  Is Sonic??

34 minutes ago, babsiwuff said:

What interview?

I swear,  auto-correct works at the worst of times.

What I meant to say, was "interquel", since The Storm is apparently bridging the gap to his Lara-Su Chronicles.

So, this just hit YouTube...

I'm not sure if there's a better place to put it, but it seemed like it would be relevant, especially since Penders did cross it over with Sonic and tried to replace Eggman with his own version from this, so it wouldn't surprise me if any of this comes up again in TLSC. As such, I guess this is a good way to familiarize one's self with the work in question.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 hours ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

So, this just hit YouTube...

I'm not sure if there's a better place to put it, but it seemed like it would be relevant, especially since Penders did cross it over with Sonic and tried to replace Eggman with his own version from this, so it wouldn't surprise me if any of this comes up again in TLSC. As such, I guess this is a good way to familiarize one's self with the work in question.

I have to snicker at Ken's foray into his own comic book.  He came out with ONE issue with Image, and the book was cancelled.  Meanwhile, one of my buddies ended up being one of the major artists of another comic published by Image, Stray Dogs, and THAT was a hit, even being nominated for an Eisner Award at SDCC.

And yet Ken swears up and down that HE'S the rich and famous comic legend.  Psh.  Delusional badnik.

And here we have the completed "Future Tails" commission with what looks like a copy/paste landscape background. Now to wonder if he is going for that giant Hershey bar in the sky or chasing some other tails.

Also, not sure if one half of his beard is shaded due to shadow or if he is Two-Face in part...

Edited by Promethean0416
Adding.