Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

30 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Like @Ryannumber1gamerstated, even if these documents are released, the damage has already been done. Penders already won the lawsuit and there's no going back on that.  The only thing these documents would change is that if Penders wanted to sue somebody else (like say Paramount), then everyone would know how the case went and they would try to find ways to avoid the same mistakes that Archie made.

About the Paramount thing, is Penders still planning to sue them for giving Knuckles a father?

46 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

About the Paramount thing, is Penders still planning to sue them for giving Knuckles a father?

As far as I know, he hasn't really done much about it ever since he made that announcement.

• Thumbs Up 4

Just now, Rabbitearsblog said:

As far as I know, he hasn't really done much about it ever since he made that announcement.

No surprise there. Question remains though, is he still going to? I am not sure what to think about that yet.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, CrystalMaelStorm said:

No surprise there. Question remains though, is he still going to? I am not sure what to think about that yet.

It wouldn't be wise of him to do so, especially since Paramount is a pretty big company and they would easily take down Penders in court.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just now, Rabbitearsblog said:

It wouldn't be wise of him to do so, especially since Paramount is a pretty big company and they would easily take down Penders in court.

Yeah, you are right. Knowing Penders, though, I can imagine he would be desperate and crazy enough to do that. I could be wrong, though.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, CrystalMaelStorm said:

Yeah, you are right. Knowing Penders, though, I can imagine he would be desperate and crazy enough to do that. I could be wrong, though.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he did so.  Now that we mentioned it, Penders honestly doesn't have a case here.  Paramount never made a deal with or even worked with Penders. They worked with SEGA and if SEGA didn't say anything about Knuckles not having a father, then they technically didn't' do anything wrong here.  I can see if they named Knuckles' father Locke in the movie, but since that didn't happen and Paramount doesn't work with Penders, then there's really nothing that Penders can do.

• Thumbs Up 2

[steps through the weeds]

Oh, man, I haven't been here in a while because I still haven't seen Sonic 2 yet. So, uh, what happened here? I didn't expect THIS much activity in a few weeks.

I got to "Penders traced over Spaz's work" and him POSSIBLY (?) wanting to sue Paramount. Is there anything else important, i.e. "hysterical", I should know about?

Edited by VRiderCh
Clarification
  • Thumbs Up 1

We've got screenshots of some of the court records (more coming apparently) that specify that Penders was definitely lying about not having signed a work-for-hire contract, even if there was apparently some other reason they decided to settle out-of-court. It isn't going to change anything about the current comics, but it is some good information on just how much of a clown Penders was in court (and, sadly, how incompetent Archie's legal team must've been).

• Thumbs Up 6

5 minutes ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

We've got screenshots of some of the court records (more coming apparently) that specify that Penders was definitely lying about not having signed a work-for-hire contract, even if there was apparently some other reason they decided to settle out-of-court. It isn't going to change anything about the current comics, but it is some good information on just how much of a clown Penders was in court (and, sadly, how incompetent Archie's legal team must've been).

I see. Thanks for the update!

I've honestly stopped hoping for the Archie stuff to come back in some form the moment the comic was canceled. In my opinion, the IDW comic is basically what I've always wanted; a fun comic that's not too far off from the games, and without all the baggage that the Archie comic did.

I won't begrudge anyone who misses those characters, but I'm more angry about how everyone's work was disrupted by one insane man.

• Thumbs Up 7

Went dumpster diving on the Wayback Machine, and I found this on Penders site from around 2007.

tHWhqGK.png

Sounds like Penders had no problem with Archie reprinting his work way back than.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 hour ago, Vampfox said:

Went dumpster diving on the Wayback Machine, and I found this on Penders site from around 2007.

tHWhqGK.png

Sounds like Penders had no problem with Archie reprinting his work way back than.

I don’t think he ever did, just wanted royalties for it and use off his characters if he legally owned them

• Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

I don’t think he ever did, just wanted royalties for it and use off his characters if he legally owned them

That's my point. He doesn't mention royalties there. 

• Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Vampfox said:

This could have been from before he wondered if he could actually own his creations

2 hours ago, Demon Slayer Ultima said:

The archive is up:

Interesting read so far. I wonder why Archie decided to settle with Penders in the end. I personally still think that the case should have gone to trial.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Vampfox said:

Interesting read so far. I wonder why Archie decided to settle with Penders in the end. I personally still think that the case should have gone to trial.

When a case went so badly you had to fire your entire legal team and you did a bad job keeping all officials documents and copies; it would have been no wonder if those in charge just wanted it to end as quickly as possible.

• Thumbs Up 4

I'll never forgive Archie for fucking up. I lost my waifu over this copyright shit.

I'll never forgive Penders either. He should have left things alone.

Penders characters are derivative work. I'm pretty sure that you can't copyright derivative characters.

• Thumbs Up 4

8 hours ago, Vampfox said:

I'll never forgive Archie for fucking up. I lost my waifu over this copyright shit.

Penders characters are derivative work. I'm pretty sure that you can't copyright derivative characters.

Would depend on what is meant by derivative work. Scourge should count such as characters like Medievil Spawn and elseworlds versions of Superman and Batman but you can’t really claim that cartoonish anthropomorphic animal characters are derivative of sonic

but there are the echidnas and the loss of contracts that claim Shea’s ownership of these new characters

18 hours ago, Vampfox said:

Who is your waifu?

13 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Who is your waifu?

Fiona Fox.

clUxy6d.png

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Nice Smile 1

On 5/4/2022 at 5:11 PM, Vampfox said:

People tend to forget that back then, Penders was all for keeping his characters in the comic. It was just on the condition that he be paid heavy royalties. Something SEGA wasn't exactly gung-ho for.

14 minutes ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

People tend to forget that back then, Penders was all for keeping his characters in the comic. It was just on the condition that he be paid heavy royalties. Something SEGA wasn't exactly gung-ho for.

No, Penders didn't just want royalties, he wanted to be able to use Knuckles, he wanted a measure of control over Locke and others, he wanted M25YL to be the canon future of the series and he wanted to approve each and every issue involving any of his characters.

Royalties would be one thing and pretty reasonable. The rest absolutely would not.

• Thumbs Up 5

1 minute ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

No, Penders didn't just want royalties, he wanted to be able to use Knuckles, he wanted a measure of control over Locke and others, he wanted M25YL to be the canon future of the series and he wanted to approve each and every issue involving any of his characters.

Royalties would be one thing and pretty reasonable. The rest absolutely would not.

Oh. Nevermind. Guess he really was always THAT insane.

• Thumbs Up 2