Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

3 hours ago, Jovahexeon Jax Joranvexeon said:

I'm sorry, in addition to his magnum failure of a comic, he's STILL been working on that movie?

Yes. He said a few hours ago that he "worked on a film, which is now finished and in the process of figuring out the best way to get it to the public".

2 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Pretty sure it’s a series and not a movie

It's a movie.

• Thumbs Up 1

I remember when he said it was finished months, maybe even a year ago now? Is it THAT hard to decide on a distribution method or is he just getting rejected over and over?

This is all helping add to my "Penders needs to become a crypto/NFT bro" idea. Just imagine hundreds of chodes with monkey pfps shilling for THE REPUBLIC, the first blockchain-exclusive feature film!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Adamis said:

Yes. He said a few hours ago that he "worked on a film, which is now finished and in the process of figuring out the best way to get it to the public".

It's a movie.

Just saw on IMDb so thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/13/2021 at 1:57 PM, GentlemanX said:

But let's assume for now that Ken, in fact, does own "a character named Sonic the Hedgehog from another dimension who wears a leather jacket and is bad instead of good". Let's assume that Ken's copyright for "The Good, the Bad, and the Hedgehog" gives him that right. Does that give him the rights to Scourge though? The Scourge redesign was created by Patrick Spaziante upon the urging of Mike Pellerito to revitalize the character at the time known as Evil Sonic.

I know this is getting away from other things but this part is actually news to me. Did Scourge as a concept not actually originate with Flynn? I was aware that Spaz played a role in the redesign but not so much that the editor at the time proposed it. I had always assumed it was Ian's way of cleaning house (especially since Ian's first year or so was just that) but it seems more like Pellerito was the real inspiration for "Brave New Moebius" when I think about it. I actually remember similar things regarding the Future Mobius story (#'s 166-167, iirc?) wherein Pellerito had suggested to Penders to make more use of the Sega cast and Penders declined, which ultimately led to him quitting by the time Ian debuted and Ian picking it up.

• Thumbs Up 2

Before I forget I also saw Ken posted this little thing on Twitter

So it's entirely possible that it wasn't just having to use the game characters more that made him leave.

7 hours ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I remember when he said it was finished months, maybe even a year ago now? Is it THAT hard to decide on a distribution method or is he just getting rejected over and over?

This is all helping add to my "Penders needs to become a crypto/NFT bro" idea. Just imagine hundreds of chodes with monkey pfps shilling for THE REPUBLIC, the first blockchain-exclusive feature film!

Just think, a few of them might even be fans of his work.

12 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Before I forget I also saw Ken posted this little thing on Twitter

So it's entirely possible that it wasn't just having to use the game characters more that made him leave.

Not sure what you're suggesting here. That his own awful stories scared him away?

2 minutes ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

Not sure what you're suggesting here. That his own awful stories scared him away?

Not exactly new news, but he's also claimed before other reasons such as SEGA's difficulty when it comes to game adaptions (with Shadow being the straw that broke the camel's back), and I believe recently, he claimed that he quit because storyboarding paid more?

That said, it doesn't change the fact that his quitting also happened when a new editor came on board with the series, and wanted the book to adhere more to the game canon, and utilise the game characters more (IE - an editor who was willing to do their job instead of letting Ken treat the book as a playground), which to me at least feels like the most likely reason. There's also the fact that M25YL was his big end-point for the characters, so perhaps he just didn't care as long as he got that out? Although that's me speculating a bit at that point.

• Thumbs Up 4

6 hours ago, Leebo4 said:

Just saw on IMDb so thanks

Where is it on IMDB?  I tried finding it, but I couldn't find the one that has his name on it.

37 minutes ago, Zaysho said:

I know this is getting away from other things but this part is actually news to me. Did Scourge as a concept not actually originate with Flynn? I was aware that Spaz played a role in the redesign but not so much that the editor at the time proposed it. I had always assumed it was Ian's way of cleaning house (especially since Ian's first year or so was just that) but it seems more like Pellerito was the real inspiration for "Brave New Moebius" when I think about it. I actually remember similar things regarding the Future Mobius story (#'s 166-167, iirc?) wherein Pellerito had suggested to Penders to make more use of the Sega cast and Penders declined, which ultimately led to him quitting by the time Ian debuted and Ian picking it up.

I'm having trouble finding an exact quote on that, but most of the decisions early in Ian's run were spearheaded by Pellerito wanting to clean house, resolve dangling plot threads, and get things close to the games. Ian was specifically hired to help accomplish those goals I believe. I know he's talked about this about other elements around the same time. The Darkest Storm was essentially a laundry list of things he needed to resolve in one story and he wasn't in a position to try and salvage anything lined up for the chopping block (he specifically mentioned he would have liked to do more with Mecha, Eggman's terminator-esque daughter, rather than just destroy her). The Mobius 25 Years Later two parter in 166 and 167 was something Pellerito wanted made to resolve the cliff hanger from STH 144 and Ian was also specifically told he had to include a King Shadow in the story, etc. Scourge's characterization is all Ian, he took the reigns to make Scourge a more complex character with an identity crisis that he would extrapolate on during the Moebius Arc, but I'm pretty sure the redesign was something Pellerito was already planning to introduce.

• Thumbs Up 4

33 minutes ago, Ryannumber1Santa said:

Not exactly new news, but he's also claimed before other reasons such as SEGA's difficulty when it comes to game adaptions (with Shadow being the straw that broke the camel's back), and I believe recently, he claimed that he quit because storyboarding paid more?

That said, it doesn't change the fact that his quitting also happened when a new editor came on board with the series, and wanted the book to adhere more to the game canon, and utilise the game characters more (IE - an editor who was willing to do their job instead of letting Ken treat the book as a playground), which to me at least feels like the most likely reason. There's also the fact that M25YL was his big end-point for the characters, so perhaps he just didn't care as long as he got that out? Although that's me speculating a bit at that point.

Aye. Penders specifically cited being asked to do a Shadow adaptation while not being provided reference materials as being the key thing that led him to quit Archie, as well as the fact that storyboarding for animation paid better. Given the way Penders has complained about Pellerito specifically though, I'm skeptical about how honest he's being, especially given that specific complaint about Pellerito 'interjecting himself into the creative process'. In particular, given his cavalier attitude towards adapting game stuff in the past and the general pride he took in not really paying attention to said games, I really have to wonder why THIS specifically would be the last straw. 

And do recall that 25YL was only the first part of what was meant to be the Grand Finale. That's why he's doing this entire cockamamie project of his, supposedly, to bring closure that he wasn't able to the first time around. At any rate, Penders has always been upfront about his supposed reasons for leaving Archie. Its not really news by this point. 

• Thumbs Up 7

8 minutes ago, horridus said:

And do recall that 25YL was only the first part of what was meant to be the Grand Finale. That's why he's doing this entire cockamamie project of his, supposedly, to bring closure that he wasn't able to the first time around. At any rate, Penders has always been upfront about his supposed reasons for leaving Archie. Its not really news by this point. 

I more so meant it that by that point, Penders was going through the motions, and in his regular stories at least, it showed. I mean, do not get me wrong - the stuff he did was still awful, and among the most garbage tier things he did (#150 in general being the crowning jewel of pure unadulterated shit), but it was generally trackless and repeating stuff he did with Knuckles prior + returning things to the status quo. Mobius 25 Years Later was essentially the only thing he gave a rat's ass about in the book, and it's partly the reason Bollers was allowed to handle the main stuff until he left.

So that's why it makes more sense to me at least that it always came down to the editor shift, no matter what Penders claims. When M25YL was the one getting changes, that's what pissed him off to the degree to leave, especially given how little of a shit he gave about the games, and how little he cared about the main continuity following M25YL getting off the ground. 

• Thumbs Up 5

2 hours ago, GentlemanX said:

I'm having trouble finding an exact quote on that, but most of the decisions early in Ian's run were spearheaded by Pellerito wanting to clean house, resolve dangling plot threads, and get things close to the games. Ian was specifically hired to help accomplish those goals I believe. I know he's talked about this about other elements around the same time. The Darkest Storm was essentially a laundry list of things he needed to resolve in one story and he wasn't in a position to try and salvage anything lined up for the chopping block (he specifically mentioned he would have liked to do more with Mecha, Eggman's terminator-esque daughter, rather than just destroy her). The Mobius 25 Years Later two parter in 166 and 167 was something Pellerito wanted made to resolve the cliff hanger from STH 144 and Ian was also specifically told he had to include a King Shadow in the story, etc. Scourge's characterization is all Ian, he took the reigns to make Scourge a more complex character with an identity crisis that he would extrapolate on during the Moebius Arc, but I'm pretty sure the redesign was something Pellerito was already planning to introduce.

It's almost as though comic books, particularly those done professionally for a larger company, are like some sort of collaborative process.

• Thumbs Up 4

10 hours ago, King Scoopa Koopa said:

It's almost as though comic books, particularly those done professionally for a larger company, are like some sort of collaborative process.

It seriously wouldn't surprise me that after all this time, Ken still didn't even know what a comic book was.

• Chuckle 2

I just acquired the classics volume that had the Sin City parody story Sonic Spin City

i am not actually that much against media for cartoons and stuff like that putting in references for older references, I grew up with Animaniacs

plus I was a big fan of Disney’s Fillmore a cop show for children which had an episode’s plot be like Lethal Weapon 2 and an episode based on Silence of the Lambs with a child graffiti vandal being used as a Hannibal Lecter expy

i am not kidding on that, it’s amazing

think of a Mario comic putting in a plot inspired by First Blood

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Dr. Detective Mike said:

It seriously wouldn't surprise me that after all this time, Ken still didn't even know what a comic book was.

It really is one of the more mystifying aspects of Ken's behavior. Sonic wasn't the first comic he worked on- he knows exactly the process by which comics are made, especially licensed books. Yet to this day, he behaves more like someone who created an original property and had it taken from him/altered against his will. The sheer warped entitlement of it all is just staggering. 

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Thanks!  There doesn't seem to be much to this TV movie.

Your welcome.

plus true story in that Sonic Live by default can be considered my first Sonic comic story. I heard and read about the comics for at least a few years before then but then sometime before his first big Halloween reviews of the Silent Hill comics I became a fan of Linkara and AT4W. When it came to his 100th episode he reviewed this comic.

4 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Those poor kids...

If one book has ever taught me not to judge a book by its cover, it's Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog pre-160.

I imagine that lesson has carried forward to a new generation with every copy of Sonic Live sold.

...then again, unlike most issues at the time, the cover art is pretty comparable to what's inside.

• Thumbs Up 4

I guess all the jokes about his designs looking like NFTS finally got to him.

I sorta figured this would eventually come up, but even so... cripes. 

17 minutes ago, horridus said:

I guess all the jokes about his designs looking like NFTS finally got to him.

I sorta figured this would eventually come up, but even so... cripes. 

Someone must've picked up the phone, because I called it:

On 11/22/2021 at 4:13 AM, King Scoopa Koopa said:

I'm more surprised that no one brought this up already (unless it took a while and I missed it while flipping back) than I am that he did this.

Bringing it up because I bet he's interested in making his own crypto. Something about owning art that other people buy URLs to see just seems like something he'd be into.

Wonder what he'd call them, though? Echidollars? Ecoi'nyas? Floating Island Funny Money? SoNFT the Hedgefunds? Mobiums?

• Thumbs Up 1

NFTs are fucking stupid, have no real value or true proof of ownership and are part of a completely speculative market rampant with art/asset theft that is not being regulated. I kinda just shrug my shoulders and sigh when artists go in on them themselves, but if that's how they want to make their money (off of idiots) then whatever. As long as it doesn't involve theft (and they're willing to accept their new clientele don't actually give a shit about them or their art, which is why the market is saturated with those stupid monkey portraits).

With that being said

However, I have reasons for doing this, and the collection will consist of new and old material. Example of old material: complete 8-page 1st solo KNUCKLES story scanned from my original art accompanied by a scan of the registered copyright.

This sounds an awful fucking lot like theft. Yes, it's technically his story and yes he technically owns copyright, but that story he mentions in a follow up, "Fire Drill," is literally nothing but art of Knuckles. Fuck's sake.

• Thumbs Up 4

The man is actually resorting to trying to justify NFTs. Despite knowing very well, the negative connotation that they carry. He knows that his actual fans won't be supporting him for this en masse, and plenty have already taken to informing him just how much they won't.

Yeah, if there was ever any doubt that Penders is only in it for the clout and money, then oh boy, is it washed away.

"Ridiculous" doesn't even begin to describe the levels that this man is willing to throw away his dignity, good will, and overall production away for.

Oh, and this is rich, given his supposed "standards" on protecting the environment and whatnot:

FHBTjY-VgAI6LwB?format=jpg&name=small

Penders constantly forgets how easy receipts can be stored from the internet, cause he just keeps digging himself further and further down the rabbit hold and into Clown College.

• Thumbs Up 5