Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

1 hour ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Huh, seems there's one more Ken Penders project reviving the Sonic Archie cast happening.

Scourge returning. Artstyle's not done by Penders, fortunatly, so now looking like a mix between Invader Zim and Sonic it seems.
Cool. Digging the style.
Wonder what Penders involvement is with the project. Not much, probably.

TBF it's not Penders doing it it's a completely independent production and they're just licensing Scourge.

Either way this looks beautifully terrible. The cigar is killing me. I'm betting there's going to be a full on sex scene it's already oozing edge.

6 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Anything know what rush comics has done? If they have any work on comixology?

They don't seem to have done much given that they linked a Legend Of Zelda fancomic as an example of their prior work.

Even as a Scourge fan, and Penders not having a hand in it, it’s difficult for me to support this. I don’t particularly want to support Penders’ efforts, even if this is just licensing, and it’s hard for me to even really care much for Scourge when half of what makes him an interesting character is gated off. Scourge’s motivations and personality both spiral off from Sonic as a character, taking that away from him, as well as all the surrounding supporting cast means there’s a lot of heavy work to be done in order to pull this off. Not to mention that given this is without Ian behind the wheel, it’s totally up in the air how good the writing would actually be.

• Thumbs Up 8

Is it just me or does Scourge's design look like it was based on the Sonic movie? The lighter colors, separate eyes, shoulders, less noodle-y limbs, and spikier quills make this just look like a movie universe Scourge.

• Thumbs Up 2

So did they actually pay the $10k Penders wanted to license Scourge?

If so, Ken just got the funds he needed to translate his unfinished comic book into three more languages.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Chuckle 1

25 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

TBF it's not Penders doing it it's a completely independent production and they're just licensing Scourge.

Either way this looks beautifully terrible. The cigar is killing me. I'm betting there's going to be a full on sex scene it's already oozing edge.

I didn't even see the cigar the first time. Now all I can think of is the baby from Roger Rabbit and other "mature" toons of the day.

• Thumbs Up 3

8 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Is it just me or does Scourge's design look like it was based on the Sonic movie? The lighter colors, separate eyes, shoulders, less noodle-y limbs, and spikier quills make this just look like a movie universe Scourge.

Didn’t notice but it could

a comic based on a bad guy sonic, I genuinely want to check this out and see what characters they come up with 

• Thumbs Up 3

18 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Even as a Scourge fan, and thinking the art is neat, it’s difficult for me to support this. I don’t particularly want to support Penders’ efforts, even if this is just licensing, and it’s hard for me to even really care much for Scourge when half of what makes him an interesting character is gated off. Scourge’s motivations and personality both spiral off from Sonic as a character, taking that away from him, as well as all the surrounding supporting cast means there’s a lot of heavy work to be done in order to pull this off. Not to mention that given this is without Ian behind the wheel, it’s totally up in the air how good the writing would actually be.

I...think that's what the "Hellfire Gang" (pfft) is supposed to be. I'm thinking they're supposed to be the Suppression Squad which depending on if this considers Archie Sonic canon makes no sense but whatever. 

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I...think that's what the "Hellfire Gang" (pfft) is supposed to be. I'm thinking they're supposed to be the Suppression Squad which depending on if this considers Archie Sonic canon makes no sense but whatever. 

I am quite certain this is supposed to be a fresh take reboot 

11 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

I'm guessing it's post-Genesis Wave Scourge, so a lot of the backstory is similar but they can change what they have to.

• Thumbs Up 1

This could be a good grift, pay 10k to licence this, they've launched a patreon just need to sucker in more that $417 of fans per month and you have a nice little earner.

• Thumbs Up 9

2 minutes ago, Rabid-Coot said:

This could be a good grift, pay 10k to licence this, they've launched a patreon just need to sucker in more that $417 of fans per month and you have a nice little earner.

That's what gets me about this why pony up $10K for a Patreon sponsored fan comic? Like unless you're trying to get it in Comic Shops why bother paying for the rights?

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, SBR2 said:

That's what gets me about this why pony up $10K for a Patreon sponsored fan comic? Like unless you're trying to get it in Comic Shops why bother paying for the rights?

I am pretty certain they will be selling this as there is a big market for digital sales and I looked it over and they do have a 2 issue comic called rush on comixology 

• Thumbs Up 2

One thing of note based on the preview design is that there have been a number of changes to Spaz's design - different shoes, different gloves, goggles instead of shades, even the fur/hair, jacket, and scar have been altered. There's the name of course, since Ian did that in a story Penders has no legal right to, and the fact that he's still a green furred, blue eyed hedgehog that looks enough like a Sonic fan character to be a legal liability to the brand. Obviously Archie, Ian, and Yardley aren't likely to try anything legal against it though; it'd depend if Sega would go through the effort to sue for a previously promoted character that they probably have some legal claim to having a for profit comic available where he's smoking a cigar and could potentially do more things that could potentially damage the Sonic ip.

I don't think they'd bother with it, there's certainly worse stuff on the internet, though I can't know that for sure.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

The $10K quote was allegedly for the rights to all of his characters; individual character licenses like this were probably negotiated at a significantly lower cost.

Edited by GentlemanX
Credited Yardley for Scourge's design. Was actually Spaz.
  • Thumbs Up 8

Honestly, no matter how much I would be interested in Scourge's revival as a character, I won't support it simply because I don't want Penders to potentially get even further financial gain from it 💀

• Thumbs Up 3

It’s times like this I’m glad Conquering Storm is owned by Sega…

• Thumbs Up 2

Not even at all surprised someone who'd want to collaborate with Penders is like that. That's not a knock against him, but he attracts a certain type of people.

• Thumbs Up 9

So.

The most interesting take on "Evil Sonic" is revived not by the rightful comic book successors, but some Nazi who paid off his original "creator" and is parading him around as bait for Sega to (rightfully) go nuclear on his ass.

Sigh. I just... eh... ah... WHAT THE FUCK.

Shame Facepalm GIF by MOODMAN

• Thumbs Up 4

@Gloved Animal

welcome to hell swerk GIF

2 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

It's ironic, since Ken Penders tries to parade himself as the exact opposite. But for all this, I guess opposites really do attract.

And Ian Flynn made a response to this news, by the way:

unknown-63.png

FUCKING CHRIST, WHAT?!?!?

• My Emmerdoods 2

17 minutes ago, GentlemanX said:

I.. Am I missing something? I don't understand the claims of white supremacy. I just see that she follows right wing twitter accounts. Yeah she could potentially be a "nazi" but accusations like that are too heavy to make for me.

Honestly I find it funny given how anti-Trump and """progressive""" Penders claims to be. It's the kind of irony I appreciate in life.

• Thumbs Up 4

7 minutes ago, Polkadi~☆ said:

It's ironic, since Ken Penders tries to parade himself as the exact opposite. But for all this, I guess opposites really do attract.

And Ian Flynn made a response to this news, by the way:

unknown-63.png

That's the kind of thing that's probably going to put a lot of people off of your book. Though, a skilled enough write could use it to play into the edgy dark humor of a story if that's what they were going for. I don't think it's fair to rule out an idea entirely if it was indented to be gross and scummy or is set in the type of story where everyone's an asshole.

• Thumbs Up 2