Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Yeah but Penders is trying to put Sonic in his stories as "The King", Knuckles in as 'K'Nox" and Eggman in as "Warlord Kintobor/Robo-Robotnicus". It'll depend on how much he changes the characters for sure, but if Penders can sue over the Nocturnus Clan, I'm sure Sega won't have any issues. At the very least we could see the Sonic Chronicles mess get sorted out (if it hasn't already been).

The tvtrope lawyer friendly cameo is a thing

• Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Slashy said:

Colors Ultimate brought it back into that mindset by being an awful port.

Regardless of the glitches, it has pretty good critical scores and I've seen a lot of people give the game another shot after not having touched it in years or initially dismissing it. Plus, glitches were far less common than the internet would have you believe for every version that isn't the Switch, which, from what I've seen of Minecraft and Switch Online, just seems inherently broken and laggy.

27 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

The tvtrope lawyer friendly cameo is a thing

Yeah but doesn't it cross the line when he's planning on literally rereleasing a Sonic The Hedgehog comic and changing the names of the characters?

• Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Yeah but Penders is trying to put Sonic in his stories as "The King", Knuckles in as 'K'Nox" and Eggman in as "Warlord Kintobor/Robo-Robotnicus". It'll depend on how much he changes the characters for sure, but if Penders can sue over the Nocturnus Clan, I'm sure Sega won't have any issues. At the very least we could see the Sonic Chronicles mess get sorted out (if it hasn't already been).

I guess it depends on how closely related the characters are and whether or not the readers will pick up on it.  If the readers start picking up on it and they take it to social media, then you know that SEGA will catch wind of it.  Whether or not they will sue Penders is entirely up to them.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Adamis said:

Just a note : last August, after I disagreed with him on Twitter in public (which he doesn't like) and a long DM where he basically told me to shut up because I obviously know nothing/I just think as a Sonic fan, AND accusing me of leaking private information on Discord (which I don't use)(what is funnier is the leak came from France and I don't live in that country), which I don't like since he's spreading false information about myself, I told him that I quit translating his comic. 

He never replied.

Then last week, I "dared" disagreeing with him once again and putting him in his place. He then sent me another angry DM, to which I replied with facts, and no response again. I ended up being blocked on Twitter :)

He really hates when someone dares questioning him on whatever he does. His EGO....

How open is Penders to discussion? I have a few questions about the Archie comics and have no qualms with playing into his views to get answers.

1 hour ago, CertifiedNobody said:

How open is Penders to discussion? I have a few questions about the Archie comics and have no qualms with playing into his views to get answers.

It’s honestly not worth it. The details he does give about the comics tend to be embellished, biased, and overall not particularly great. If it’s a chance to knock down the other writers or big himself or his stories up, he’ll take it (For example, claiming the Dark Legion could easily go to war and defeat Eggman if they wanted to, which is just plainly not true). That, or half the time, it’s just weird retcons. The answers you’d get are unlikely to either be true, and the lengths required to appeal to his ego to do so frankly aren’t remotely worth it.

• Thumbs Up 6

2 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I'll say that as long as you praise his work and not question his actions, he'll act like a charm.

Question him and he'll treat you like a child.

• Thumbs Up 7

26 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

It’s honestly not worth it. The details he does give about the comics tend to be embellished, biased, and overall not particularly great. If it’s a chance to knock down the other writers or big himself or his stories up, he’ll take it (For example, claiming the Dark Legion could easily go to war and defeat Eggman if they wanted to, which is just plainly not true). That, or half the time, it’s just weird retcons. The answers you’d get are unlikely to either be true, and the lengths required to appeal to his ego to do so frankly aren’t remotely worth it.

It's mostly just curiosity about what the transition from classic to modern Sonic was like and his thoughts on different aspects of the franchise.

14 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It's mostly just curiosity about what the transition from classic to modern Sonic was like and his thoughts on different aspects of the franchise.

Again, there’s not much point. Penders doesn’t give a crap about different aspects of the franchise, and again builds up his own hype over factual information (for example - hyping up how big the comics were worldwide, and acting as if the comics themselves were bigger than the games, to the point he once claimed he was the one who brought value to Knuckles as a character when the only ones exposed to his work were those from the US, and those who had comic imports in other countries, which wasn’t a lot). 

Penders’ thoughts on other aspects of the series literally starts and stops with the comics. The only other time he’s remotely interested is when he thinks he can use it to spotlight himself (IE, trying to give the Sonic movie shit for being game based instead of based on Endgame of all things, trying to claim he could totally write IDW better and everyone would love it far more than Ian’s work, when what his idea for IDW’s first arc was basically an encapsulation of everything people hate about his Archie run). He genuinely just doesn’t care unless it concerns his work, or it’s something he can use to buy into his own hype, and when he does speak about the other aspects of the series, it’s generally to just to claim that actually the comics were some massive worldwide hit specifically during his run, even though again, it was only widely available in the US unless you had comic imports, and why this and that should’ve been based on his work.

As for the transition to Classic from Modern, Bollers was the one who mostly handled that, so he’d probably be the one better informed about it. We do know according to Penders that SEGA was very tight lipped about Adventure barring the mandates to update the characters to their Adventure appearances, and that the only reason they could do their Adventure adaption in the comics was due to Pat Spaz importing the Japanese version, and translating the story.

Not to put you off or anything of course, as Adamis said, if you play to his ego, he’ll likely answer your questions, but personally, I just don’t see it as worth to deal with him and his ego.

• Thumbs Up 6

28 minutes ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

Not to put you off or anything of course, as Adamis said, if you play to his ego, he’ll likely answer your questions, but personally, I just don’t see it as worth to deal with him and his ego.

Maybe not, but I guess I'll just have to find out myself.

5 hours ago, Adamis said:

Just a note : last August, after I disagreed with him on Twitter in public (which he doesn't like) and a long DM where he basically told me to shut up because I obviously know nothing/I just think as a Sonic fan, AND accusing me of leaking private information on Discord (which I don't use)(what is funnier is the leak came from France and I don't live in that country), which I don't like since he's spreading false information about myself, I told him that I quit translating his comic. 

He never replied.

Then last week, I "dared" disagreeing with him once again and putting him in his place. He then sent me another angry DM, to which I replied with facts, and no response again. I ended up being blocked on Twitter :)

He really hates when someone dares questioning him on whatever he does. His EGO....

Yeeesh I’m really sorry that you had to deal with that.

I’m not trying to be that guy cause I don’t understand the creative process but why the hell does he spend so much time on Twitter instead of working on his book that he’s spent the last decade getting off the ground? 

• Thumbs Up 7

5 hours ago, Adamis said:

He never replied.

I'm not really surprised. I've seen Penders perform this song and dance SO many times it ain't even funny, so I kinda figured it was only a matter of time before you finally pushed the right button and wound up on his shit list for daring to contradict the fantasy world he's built for himself. All the same, I'm sorry you had to put up with that kind of jackassery. 

• Thumbs Up 6

3 hours ago, Dejimon11 said:

I’m not trying to be that guy cause I don’t understand the creative process but why the hell does he spend so much time on Twitter instead of working on his book that he’s spent the last decade getting off the ground? 

He wants attention and Lara-Su is taking too long for him to get any immediate satisfaction.

19 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

He wants attention and Lara-Su is taking too long for him to get any immediate satisfaction.

I don't know why he doesn't just print out Lara Su already.  Is he even finished yet or is he purposely withholding the book?

• Thumbs Up 4

5 hours ago, Ryannumber1gamer said:

He really is the Hulk Hogan of the Sonic franchise.

• Thumbs Up 5

54 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

I don't know why he doesn't just print out Lara Su already.  Is he even finished yet or is he purposely withholding the book?

He's definitely procrastinating with it.

6 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

A bunch of self imposed extra work that makes it endlessly delayable.

• Thumbs Up 5

None of that.

He is just stalling for time, so when (if) he releases the comic, he thinks enough time will have passed and nor SEGA nor IDW will be able to attack him (he told me he "knows" they are monitoring his Twitter).

Same thing regarding Shade. He said he only plans to use the name as a pseudo for Julie-Su, and that Sega "surrendered" the rights to the character by not fighting for it, so he thinks he can just take anything like that.

• Thumbs Up 8

3 hours ago, Adamis said:

None of that.

He is just stalling for time, so when (if) he releases the comic, he thinks enough time will have passed and nor SEGA nor IDW will be able to attack him (he told me he "knows" they are monitoring his Twitter).

Same thing regarding Shade. He said he only plans to use the name as a pseudo for Julie-Su, and that Sega "surrendered" the rights to the character by not fighting for it, so he thinks he can just take anything like that.

He might get away with using the name Shade, it's just a word, and Julie-Su's different enough that it wouldn't trigger any alarms. But given that Sonic Chronicles is going to be in the Sonic Encyclospeedia, I don't think Sega's going to be willing to surrender the rights to Shade anytime soon, regardless of whether she's part of the main canon. They'd protect the rights to Void from Sonic Shuffle, and he's even less relevant than Shade.

Besides, if Penders tries to sue them for using Shade, he's going to quickly realize that Sega's not as careless as Archie and that a character being inspired by yours doesn't give you their rights.

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Fist Bump 1

4 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

He might get away with using the name Shade, it's just a word, and Julie-Su's different enough that it wouldn't trigger any alarms. But given that Sonic Chronicles is going to be in the Sonic Encyclospeedia, I don't think Sega's going to be willing to surrender the rights to Shade anytime soon, regardless of whether she's part of the main canon. They'd protect the rights to Void from Sonic Shuffle, and he's even less relevant than Shade.

Besides, if Penders tries to sue them for using Shade, he's going to quickly realize that Sega's not as careless as Archie and that a character being inspired by yours doesn't give you their rights.

Technically speaking, Penders can't really sue SEGA if SEGA used a character named Shade who's completely different from the character that Ken Penders created?

• Thumbs Up 1

33 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Technically speaking, Penders can't really sue SEGA if SEGA used a character named Shade who's completely different from the character that Ken Penders created?

He could at least try. I wouldn't be surprised.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 11/3/2021 at 10:07 AM, Dejimon11 said:

Because he keeps having ideas about the meaning of Lara-Su's nail polish or her breakfast or whatever and needs to inform people about it.

2 hours ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

It didn't stop him the first time he did it.

Um... what? Even for Ken that's a pretty non nonsensical conclusion for a mandate.

No, the best approach to Sonic is the one that fans enjoy and SEGA approves. If SEGA tells IDW to drop all of their plans for issue 50 and adapt Sonic Battle, than they have to adapt Sonic Battle.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, Zonic 2099 said:

Um... what? Even for Ken that's a pretty non nonsensical conclusion for a mandate.

No, the best approach to Sonic is the one that fans enjoy and SEGA approves. If SEGA tells IDW to drop all of their plans for issue 50 and adapt Sonic Battle, than they have to adapt Sonic Battle.

Ummm...I thought that the IDW series took place after Sonic Forces, which is a game.  What is Ken talking about?