Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

The design is awful, Penders is petty about SEGA, he managed to say something stupid, and the description is basically three bad cliché about writing an autistic/neuroatypical hero character.

True Penders style, in a way it's impressive.

• Thumbs Up 8

14 hours ago, therealfalconpawnch777 said:

AAAAAAAHHHHH! Kill it with fire!

Ok outside of how horrible she looks can we take a moment to addresshow fucking offensive that character description is!?

• Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, SBR2 said:

Ok outside of how horrible she looks can we take a moment to addresshow fucking offensive that character description is!?

Are you really that surprised given that it's the same guy who thought 'even a female' was somehow a feminist statement? 

But yeah, it's pretty par the course for Penders particular brand of inclusivity and progressiveness- twee, vapid, condescending and divorced from any genuine attempt to address this sort of thing. As is always the case with Penders, its blatantly obvious this wasn't planned from the start- it's a flash in the pan attempt at grabbing attention and getting brownie points, all while never having to really deliver on anything. 

It's like the kind of Corporate Sponsored Diversity that brought us the Burger King Kids Club, only somehow even LESS sincere. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 3

39 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Anyone else genuinely thought the horn was her head cut open?

Yeah it's gross.

2 hours ago, SBR2 said:

Not a good look to imply autistic people need a handler to keep them in line. Sure, more severely affected people need help, but it's probably not good  to portray your only autistic representation that way

• Thumbs Up 1

...who just happens to be autistic and deals with it as best she can.

Like she deals with overstimulation? Otherwise we don't deal with it we just are...

Sometimes she gets it wrong but her heart is always in the right place...

We all get it wrong I don't get how that's a character description?

and counts on Lara-Su to tell her when she does color outside the lines.

So is she offensive? What does this mean Penders? She more creative than others? My friends never told me I'm "coloring outside the lines". Though, they're neurotypical themselves.

• Thumbs Up 3
  • Fist Bump 1

7 minutes ago, AlienBunny said:

So is she offensive?

The idea of her hurling (fictional) slurs at some random Mobian while Lara-Su holds her back is funnier to me than it should be.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 7

Just something to think off

sonic as the king and sally as the queen in the comic’s artstyle

i swear if the art style and models were kept closer to the Archie comics, people would be more open to this project

4 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

i swear if the art style and models were kept closer to the Archie comics, people would be more open to this project

Maybe, that's if people are okay with Pender's new characters...

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, Leebo4 said:

Can Penders even use the Sonic-style designs? He'd still have to change the Sega characters, but are there any legal issues with just using the same basic mobian design?

Though, even if he can't, I've seen tons of Lara-Su redesigns that look so much better than what he went with. For example, this one by HavocGirl on Deviantart:

lara_su_chronicles_promo_by_havocgirl_d8bwgov-fullview.thumb.jpg.ee0df07ffa51dc11c9cfb0e6a1aaee48.jpg

It's far more competent and doesn't have his gross airbrush shading or soulless eyes, and would probably make for a good webcomic, which is what Penders should have done instead.

• Thumbs Up 6

9 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

Can Penders even use the Sonic-style designs? He'd still have to change the Sega characters, but are there any legal issues with just using the same basic mobian design?

Though, even if he can't, I've seen tons of Lara-Su redesigns that look so much better than what he went with. For example, this one by HavocGirl on Deviantart:

lara_su_chronicles_promo_by_havocgirl_d8bwgov-fullview.thumb.jpg.ee0df07ffa51dc11c9cfb0e6a1aaee48.jpg

It's far more competent and doesn't have his gross airbrush shading or soulless eyes.

Not to mention that she doesn't have the big human like teeth that's in Penders' artwork.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It's far more competent and doesn't have his gross airbrush shading or soulless eyes, and would probably make for a good webcomic, which is what Penders should have done instead.

In a sense it should be fine, but Ken has to make up the difference in giving his Echidna different physical traits to make up the difference. Like no dreadlocks, play up the physical traits of an actual Echidna. They can be the same height and weight as Knuckles they just can't resemble him any.

One of best examples I can think of would be Mighty and Arlo with the second being Hershey and Blaze.

Arlo looks nothing at all like Mighty so there's no way he'd have any legal issues with SEGA and Hershey I'd say is legally distinct enough to be in a similar boat. But unfortunately rather than get rid of the SEGA design traits for the Echidna we've seen he's giving their bodies human like traits and proportions.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Shaddy Zaphod said:

I just realized Penders's shit all looks like horrible NFT art.

You just found his calling.

• Chuckle 6

Huh, seems there's one more Ken Penders project reviving the Sonic Archie cast happening.

Scourge returning. Artstyle's not done by Penders, fortunatly, so now looking like a mix between Invader Zim and Sonic it seems.
Cool. Digging the style.
Wonder what Penders involvement is with the project. Not much, probably.

• Way Past Cool 9

17 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Huh, seems there's one more Ken Penders project reviving the Sonic Archie cast happening.

Scourge returning. Artstyle's not done by Penders, fortunatly, so now looking like a mix between Invader Zim and Sonic it seems.
Cool. Digging the style.

This is honestly preferable and I might check it out. I can't believe I just said that.

• Thumbs Up 1

It's pretty messy right-wise (as the name, redesign, etc… and nearly everything that makes Scourge Scourge, were all by Flynn post-Penders). But it's pretty funny in a way that the first character that get something like that… is the one where Penders did the least creative work lol.

• Thumbs Up 9

39 minutes ago, Roger_van_der_weide said:

Cool. Digging the style.

NGL I'm probably buying this. It might actually be really good if Penders isn't the one making it.

4 minutes ago, Kazhnuz said:

It's pretty messy right-wise (as the name, redesign, etc… and nearly everything that makes Scourge Scourge, were all by Flynn post-Penders). But it's pretty funny in a way that the first character that get something like that… is the one where Penders did the least creative work lol.

I don't even see how they can even use the name Scourge.

• Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, CertifiedNobody said:

I suppose that Archie is even worse that we thought with handling copyright...

Or that they don't really call, but are hoping that SEGA haven't any right on Scourge (as they didn't seemed to have copyright ownership of ArchieSonic characters and concept at that time), and that Archie doesn't want to fight for a character they can't use anymore or Flynn (if the right would fall back to him) doesn't want and/or can't go in a legal battle for just a character he created 15 years ago.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

It's a combination of Penders effectively owning the character after Archie's fuck up and no one else is using the name, which was his logic for using "Mobius." Scourge/Evil Sonic sits in a pretty weird gray area and Ian basically handed Penders a better version with a name that is legally safe for him to use and market if he wanted to. Archie never owned anything and weren't supposed to--Sega was and they couldn't even insure that when this happened.

The problem here at this point is that all other characters associated with Scourge except for the Suppression Squad (who are probably less distinct from their counterparts than Scourge became even if Scourge himself is basically a recolor) are tied up with other writers (Fulop and Gallagher) so I don't even know what this project would entail that anyone would care about... much like LSC. Well, good for Penders. He found people foolish enough to give him money so he doesn't have to do anything and just dangle the things Archie fans cared about in their faces. Not interested, personally, but good luck to the team. (edit: Yeah, not even that)

Edited by Zaysho
  • Thumbs Up 6