Awoo.

The Lara-Su Chronicles and Ken Penders topic - READ PAGE 164, POST 4096

Spin Attaxx

Penders shouldn't be using these panels because they are apart of Archie and SEGA and I can't see SEGA letting Penders use Knuckles in his comic.

• Thumbs Up 3

3 minutes ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Penders shouldn't be using these panels because they are apart of Archie and SEGA and I can't see SEGA letting Penders use Knuckles in his comic.

Penders apparently owns the comics he wrote. I don't know how legal all of this is though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Owning the stories/scripts (many of which he does have actual copyright on), even the specific artwork (which he probably doesn't in this case, never mind the source pages he's using are more than likely from pirated copies but Archie is also dead so it's moot, just amusing) is a fair bit different from the characters themselves.

He's probably thinking he's working in a gray area or that there's a legal loophole, but there's so many glaring problems with this I don't think it's going to end well if he ever puts out an actual product, something he's suspiciously avoided for the past decade.

• Thumbs Up 4

3 hours ago, CertifiedNobody said:

What does Nester mean by "Ken Penders' Genesis Wave"?

The plot of The Lara-Su Chronicles seems to be that the messing about with time-travel in Mobius: 25 Years Later that King Sonic does causes a disruption in the spacetime continuum that reformats the universe into the Pendersverse where everyone is drawn in his new style and a number of details are changed (the echidnas being aliens, Knuckles becoming K'Nox the Praetorian, and other necesaary copyright dodges) in a similar way to the Genesis Wave.

Indeed, you could probably refer to it as the Anti-Genesis Wave as the Super Genesis Wave removed all the things copyrighted by Penders while this one removes all the things not copyrighted by Penders.

One thing I was wondering though is how my namesake has access to all this - where is he getting it from?

• Thumbs Up 3

17 minutes ago, Nestor said:

The plot of The Lara-Su Chronicles seems to be that the messing about with time-travel in Mobius: 25 Years Later that King Sonic does causes a disruption in the spacetime continuum that reformats the universe into the Pendersverse where everyone is drawn in his new style and a number of details are changed (the echidnas being aliens, Knuckles becoming K'Nox the Praetorian, and other necesaary copyright dodges) in a similar way to the Genesis Wave.

So... wait, the future versions of Sonic and Tails - which people liked, IIRC - have now been erased by Sanic for Penders' own shitty OC'land?

Jesus Christ, this just keeps getting better and better...

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, this is going almost precisely as I expected. Didn't anticipate the numbered word balloons, though.

So I'm just going to

76f.gif

I thought the way he put it was that "everything is canon," including Ian's stuff, and he was using that Genesis Wave, the Super Genesis Wave, to explain this?

Which, if he is, then I have to give him more credit than I'd like, using the very wave that removed everything he did to instead separate his stuff from the rest.

Of course, looking at the panels, it looks more like it's his little plasma globe of doom that Sonic got caught in doing the deed. Well, crisis averted, I guess.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Chuckle 5

27 minutes ago, KingMario05 said:

So... wait, the future versions of Sonic and Tails - which people liked, IIRC - have now been erased by Sanic for Penders' own shitty OC'land?

Pretty much, yes. Rotor became a rhino, Athair became a girl, and everone else will probably be alluded to vaguely but not actually appear ("the Princess of Acorn", "Warlord Julian", "the blue Erinaceinae", etc).

• Thumbs Up 3

4 hours ago, Nestor said:

Indeed, you could probably refer to it as the Anti-Genesis Wave as the Super Genesis Wave removed all the things copyrighted by Penders while this one removes all the things not copyrighted by Penders.

One thing I was wondering though is how my namesake has access to all this - where is he getting it from?

4 hours ago, KingMario05 said:

Jesus Christ, this just keeps getting better and better...

I just interpreted it as a Legend of Zelda style timeline split.

time.jpg

• Thumbs Up 3

Wow, that's really all he has to show for nearly 10 years of progress? After all that talk of spin-offs and replacement characters being promised, he really just drew those same four characters that's been there since he first teased it, transformed into visually ugly replicas, grab some scans off a fan and call it a day?

It really goes to show that Ken is all talk and no do.

• Thumbs Up 5

Why doesn't Ken just work on something else that has nothing to do with Sonic the Hedgehog?  He could dodge some legal problems from using SEGA's characters, because it seems like he still wants to use the Sonic characters for his own works.

• Thumbs Up 3

Well TBH, his "non-sonic works" weren't exactly a success. Now about making TLC less related to Sonic, and more related to his own vision of things... Honestly the only thing that really give interest to this trainwreck is the connection with Sonic. Look at us Sonic fans, we're certainly are most of the conversation around this project. If it wasn't Sonic-but-not-Sonic, we certainly would not talk as much as we are doing. Most of the interactions you see on his account are Sonic fans, either the fans of his Sonic work, or angry other Sonic fans.

Without that, it would be like "The Lost Ones", even more some kind of obscure things that nearly nobody would know.

The most intelligent thing would be for him to try to ride on his situation to create a quality legally-different enough expy of the Sonic IP/ArchieSonic with his character (but without the "story connection" and with stuff like changing the too "Sonic-y" species and name) in order to get on board disappointed fans of both Sonic and ArchieSonic, but his work show that he can't really handle the "quality" part so he doesn't even have this options.

• Thumbs Up 4

18 hours ago, horridus said:

Sooo more on that leak- 

Sooo yeah, a few things- 

1) Gotta love how in that one flashback panel, K'nox isn't conveying anything like pride or happiness or paternal love when presumably overseeing his daughter's training. He's just... there. 

2) Great googily moogily, Penders cannot do dialogue bubble layout to save his life. Like, seriously, this is honestly kind of embarrassing. 

3) He was... originally using pirated scans, before relying on a fanboy to acquire the digital release. And said fanboy proceeded to leak the goods. 

Ten years. It's almost been ten years, and this is the sum total of Penders' work on Lara-Su Chronicles... and it ain't even the main story. Just... my holy Lord I knew it was gonna be this way, but to see it in action is just staggering all the same. 

God this whole thing is so amazing. Just like this is just...I don't even know what to say.

Just look at it. Everything about it the blatant unedited use of Sonic characters, the fact he used and originallyplanned to sell pirated scans, the hysterical edit to the ending. It's all so magical. 

• Thumbs Up 4
  • Chuckle 2

1 hour ago, Rabbitearsblog said:

Why doesn't Ken just work on something else that has nothing to do with Sonic the Hedgehog?  He could dodge some legal problems from using SEGA's characters, because it seems like he still wants to use the Sonic characters for his own works.

According to himself, he's got Knuckles' whole life story planned out (it's the reason he got pissed when Ian killed Locke off). I guess when you've put that much thought into a story, you want to see it through to the end.

• Thumbs Up 2

11 hours ago, KingScoopaKoopa said:

Well, this is going almost precisely as I expected. Didn't anticipate the numbered word balloons, though.

Ok in total fairness I think the numbers are for translators so they know what goes where.

• Thumbs Up 5

On 11/6/2021 at 10:06 PM, SBR2 said:

Ok in total fairness I think the numbers are for translators so they know what goes where.

Correct.

• Thumbs Up 6

7 hours ago, therealfalconpawnch777 said:

AAAAAAAHHHHH! Kill it with fire!

Ugly design aside at least she doesn't look a thing like Espio. That said the more I think about it the more silly the idea of making an alien from an unestablished species to be autistic. I mean even standing next to Lara-Su who for all we know is from a separate alien race out right compared to the Echidna and Chameleons being different species of the mobian race.

If IDW made a new mobian character who has special needs you'd at least know that when compared to Sonic, Tails, Amy, Knuckles and the others that most mobians don't have special needs. It'd probably be easier to just make a human character with autism rather than some alien whose autistic traits could be mistaken for how her entire alien race acts and thinks.

• Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, therealfalconpawnch777 said:

AAAAAAAHHHHH! Kill it with fire!

Eeesh. She looks like a throwaway Star Trek alien, and Penders' style just makes her uncomfortable to look at. Still, I do find it interesting to note that she looks far more like a human than she does a chameleon here, so hey, at least there's an ACTUAL amount of effort going on here. Ironic that he seems dedicated to doing more, designwise, with the least important characters to the original 25YL stories.

4 hours ago, Adamis said:

So she looks a lot less like a Sonic character... Now there are no excuse as to why his echyd'nyas do.

And yet, there will be. If the man was as devoted to working on LSC as he was to making excuses for himself, he'd have at least two whole books out by now. 

2 hours ago, Rabid-Coot said:

When you're so desperate to dunk on Sega you ignore that some species do have a horn (or 3).

Wait, she's MEANT to still resemble a chameleon??? Cause I gotta say, she's looking lore like a vague dinosaur girl. And that's not a bad thing- I thought it was actually kind of neat, even if the design (or at least Penders' rendering of it) was pretty lacking otherwise. 

Seriously though- what chameleons is he looking up if Salma there is MORE chameleon-like than Espio?