Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

So I thought that episode is fi-OH MY GOODNESS

Shadow confirmed?! At the last episode?! He looks good!!

It's really sad that both Metal and Shadow are being used at the last minute, might be for saving the best for the last but still....

Going to throw in my lot with those who dislike how some of this show is esoteric. Metal Sonic was recognized... and it really seemed kind of thrown in.

We're seeing increasing amounts of references to prior episodes, as well. So it looks like we're getting more continuity than originally suspected.

I'm guessing with Shadow and Metal we're just supposed to kind of acknowledge them and not pay it much thought.

I guess as the series went on the writing team tried to experiment with more and more continuity, maybe if they get to make season 2 the show would be more episodical ?

Well, I am mildly interested to see that Shadow will finally make an appearance in the show,  after all, if only because some folks can now stop constantly talking about it. That said, if Metal Sonic's episode is anything to go by, then I shouldn't really expect anything all that decent to be done with him in the upcoming episode. The few screen grabs of the episode shown so far isn't exactly disputing this, so meh, I guess.

I cleaned up the topic a little bit.

Do not continuously spam the thread about where to find show episodes, particularly when a simple Google search will actually yield the answer within the first few results. We're not talking about some 70s anime OVA that will never be released in the west.

Just as well, if you see someone doing this or any other rule-breaking banner, do not backseat moderate. Report it. If you don't have an orange banner then you don't have the authority to be telling anyone what to do around here.

• Thumbs Up 8

Eggman as a Shadow fanboy, this is gonna be good especially since Alan Denton & Greg Hahn wrote that episode as well!

Apparently, in the last episode, Eggman acts like a fanboy whenever Shadow is in his "Anti-hero mode". That's why at a certain point, Eggman decides to take a selfie with him lol.

So I take it that's meant to be a jab at the shadow fans?

• Thumbs Up 1

So I take it that's meant to be a jab at the shadow fans?

The Adventure fanboys ain't gonna be happy about this.

Wait, what am I talking about. They were never happy about this show.

OK, I have to see that episode with Shadow in it-- the Eggman selfie with him alone gives me hope that it'll be great.

With this being on the heels of Metal's debut, I'm glad the game characters are showing up now-- if the show gets a second season, we might see them around more.

Oh man. The final episode of the show sounds like a splendiferous blast. Eggman gets to be every Shadow fanboy/fangirl ever

Boom is in my list of top favourite Sonics hands down. This amount of self aware commentary on the Sonic franchise and its fanbase has been too much. Online message boards, butt rock v.s. pop, all of the Expies of characters that they should have just used instead but didn't, now the most famous characters and villains showing up out of nowhere when you just expected another expy like Swifty the Shrew in place, Sonic both deliberately being a hotheaded idiot and yet being completely aware that he's been through this same tired dance and routine before and succumbing to his sitcom hell. It's perfect. This has all been perfect.  Between this, the Sonic Twitter, and Sonic Dreams collection this year has been the year of Self Aware Sonic. 

Bravo, guys. Bravo. Here's to my second favourite all time Sonic show now.

• Thumbs Up 5

Apparently, in the last episode, Eggman acts like a fanboy whenever Shadow is in his "Anti-hero mode". That's why at a certain point, Eggman decides to take a selfie with him lol.

Ah hahahaha what the hell?

I think they found a great way to actually implement Shadow as a serious character while keeping the show funny.

• Thumbs Up 7

How much does anyone want to bet that Shadow is going to have his arms crossed the entire episode?

Edited by Briraka
  • Thumbs Up 1

How much does anyone want to bet that Shadow is going to have his arms crossed the entire episode?

That would be amazing.

So, I guess this just makes me hope more that the show gets brought back for a second season. I'd love to see them take it in a more serial route, and while I'm guessing they're bringing in Shadow in the very for the whole "there's your fucking Shadow, are you happy bitches?" bit, I'd love to see more of him assuming he's played right.

Do we know if Metal appears in any other episodes?

At this point, my only concern is how Shadow is written. I wasn't fond of his portrayal in Rise of Lyric, which I felt was a completely wasted opportunity to do something entirely new with his character in this new universe. Instead they acted like they always knew him and he was just some asshole that hated friends (in the English version). He just wasn't very interesting or likable. I'll be fine if he's a comically serious character, but not if he's some belligerent jackass that picks fights with Sonic just 'cause. I'm sorry I'm a broken record concerning Boom!Shadow, but RoL's handling of him has really made me unsure about his upcoming appearance in the TV show, but I hope the TV show writers can do something interesting/entertaining with him in the format they have.

Though one thing I am looking forward to is Kirk Thornton getting to do more voice work for Shadow.

Thank goodness, I finally reached the end of the Metal Sonic Boom Hype Train!

So yeah, "It's Not Me, It's The One-Armed Hedgehog". I know it's a reference to like an old show or movie but Metal clearly has two arms. :P

I liked it, a lot and no, it's JUST because Metal's in it, he's a big factor in it but I still had a lot of fun watching this episode!

Yet again, another episode written by Reid Harrison. I'm pretty sure this guy has written more than half of all the Boom-isodes! The guy is insane!

One thing I noticed right away is again, how fluid the animation is in this episode. Really nice, squash and stretch, perfect for a show like Boom! Eggy as always providing some nice vocals, Pollock you multi-talented madman!

I love just how Sonic was just there in the background; not caring, eating a chilidog. XD

Also loved how the townspeople are constantly gasp everytime and Sonic telling them to cut it out. This show and its great tendency to poke fun at typical media tropes, that's Boom fashion!

Good ol' Soar, planning ahead for his rash behavior, wish I could do that. But damn son, Old Lady Wolf and her "poisoned" cookies, she's more than a fraud, she's a straight up killer, that's kind of really cool actually! 

Knuckles, as per usual, is amazing! Whether it's the fact that he just jumps out of the window AND THEN the door opens, that's a classic gag I can enjoy! It's like getting the bubble in Labyrinth Zone, that trollish shtick that you can't help but laugh.

Also HOORAY! More RoL characters! Now with Earl, which I guess is his actual name rather than Foreman Fred. And Sonic's false name is Bob. I find this funny in hindsight, when Roger constantly calls Knuckles as Bob but in Boom, Sonic is Bob the Hipsterhog even though he already looks hipster already but now the glasses and bandanna, seals the deal!

I love how that when Knuckles heard a noise and then it cuts back to the villagers just appearing there, with no explanation. Comedic laziness is now a thing I learned, thanks Sonic Boom!

Ah yes, the return of Knuckles being stuck in quicksand from "Curse of the Cross-Eyed Moose". Love that he's still nonchalant about it.

Anti-Horseshoe Elixir? Next thing you're telling me there's Shark Repellent. Whoops, different franchise.

Nice to see that while Sonic would want to go to the East Forest to clear his name, he still went West to get the orchid for Earl.

Again with Knuckles not catching on what's been shown to him! XD

Love how Sonic quickly knew it was Knuckles that put a basket in his head, shows how much he knows the guy. And Knuckles still thinking he's leader of the group and Sonic not bothering to argue with him, unlike in Shattered Crystal's ending.

Love how Mayor Fink got hit by a horseshoe, whoever's throwing dem shoes got accidentally perfect aim at people!

And now we finally have Metal in TV show for quite a long time since the OVA! I love his model so much as well as a certain someone else who'll appear at the final episode.

And for the entire fight sequence, I will admit it was awkward. Like Metal appearing out of nowhere doesn't really work as the townspeople from eariler in the episode, that was for comedic affect. You have an actual threat to Sonic and he just came....don't take that out of context. Though I did find it funny how Knuckles' punches did nothing to Metal and he was taking it like a champ and he just chest energyballed him. I liked how Sonic was still his snarky and confident self so he's not afraid of Metal but he's not taking him too seriously either, kind of like what the actual Sonic would react to him.

Another thing I will admit was kind of cool was that Sonic lead Metal into a false sense of security, thinking he wore him out but only to get shortcircuited by a horseshoes of all things! The only thing I found weird was how Sonic found Earl to be fine, it was like a strange Wall-E voice. Never had a vocal goofup since how underwhelming Sonic said "He can't swim" in the first episode.

As for if Metal went rogue on Eggman or it was all a set-up, it can be either really. If Metal did went rogue then Eggman cleverly used it to blame it on Sonic but then Metal used chili dog crumbs and Sonic's actual footprints for when Eggman's Particle Accelerator disappeared so it's quite possible that it's a set-up. 

As for the overall episode, I liked it. Not the best written episode but I had fun watching it, whether it was Knuckles' goofy antics or just the fact that Metal Sonic appeared in the show.

So yeah, can't wait for the next episode!

Ohhh boy, the final episode (according to a translator i guess) is called It takes a village to defeat a hedgehog, and the seemed synopsis is

Eggman gathers up all of the villains who have attacked Sonic in the past, Including Shadow the Hedgehog, And gets them to team up with him to defeat Team Sonic once and for all. 

YESSS T.W BARKER!!!

Ah, so it's going to be one of those big villain team-up episodes, huh? I bet I can hazard a guess Metal will be among them now that he's arrived. Let's hope Team Sonic is up to the challenge...

Because of the huge team-up event, the threat it could pose to Team Sonic, and the fact that this is the season finale and they seem to be going out with a bang, the plot makes the episode seem like it's twice the length (as in two 11-minute acts compared to the usual one-shot 11-minute episode), but given the lack of such episodes so far, I doubt it is.

On the other hand, I've been legitimately surprised at times how much they can pack into 11 minutes if they really give it a shot.

I guess the short film industry exists for a reason.

Oh man. The final episode of the show sounds like a splendiferous blast. Eggman gets to be every Shadow fanboy/fangirl ever

Boom is in my list of top favourite Sonics hands down. This amount of self aware commentary on the Sonic franchise and its fanbase has been too much. Online message boards, butt rock v.s. pop, all of the Expies of characters that they should have just used instead but didn't, now the most famous characters and villains showing up out of nowhere when you just expected another expy like Swifty the Shrew in place, Sonic both deliberately being a hotheaded idiot and yet being completely aware that he's been through this same tired dance and routine before and succumbing to his sitcom hell. It's perfect. This has all been perfect.  Between this, the Sonic Twitter, and Sonic Dreams collection this year has been the year of Self Aware Sonic. 

Bravo, guys. Bravo. Here's to my second favourite all time Sonic show now.

Since Enlightment comes after Self-Awareness, and this year is the year of Self Aware Sonic, does this mean that next year is the year of Enlightened Sonic ? (as in Sonic becomes great again)

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm rather iffy about Shadow at the moment. It all falls down to how similar he might be to his RoL and SC portrayal, but still hoping the writers, and mostly Sega choosing not to emulate it for the episode. Although the synopsis makes it sound like he's teaming up with Eggman to defeat, so it already sounds like he'll be more of the antagonistic dick to Sonic like he was in RoL. Again, hope they pleasantly surprise me with Shadow. Crossing fingers.

I'm gonna be the oddball out and say that Shadow was pretty good in terms of character in Shattered Crystal so if was more like that, the more serious character and thinks that he's better than Sonic than it's an A-OK with me!

• Thumbs Up 4

Personally I always saw Shadow as the jerk kind of character, he is a anti-hero afterall... which IMO is the main point of his character and is fine to me. anti-heroes are often pretty mean edgy people... so I don't see a problem if they have him be that way myself.

More Spoiler images inbound!

https://40.media.tumblr.com/0965c4d8acd18eaaa059af083a01e88a/tumblr_nv0ivifJLS1u27sm9o1_1280.png

https://40.media.tumblr.com/e4d7572bd7f0033f75f46b1499952faf/tumblr_nv0ivifJLS1u27sm9o2_1280.png

This is looking like a really fun way to end the series ( Unless there's a second season, which I'd be totally down for!)

Edited by Miitoons
  • Thumbs Up 1

Frankly, I'd be more interested in this if Shadow didn't look so... emotionally dead in those screenshots. Really, he was more visually emotive in both Rise of Lyric and Shattered Crystal, and that's just sad.

• Thumbs Up 1