Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

This one wasn't too bad, kinda corny and random in places, but an okay plot and I like we finally get something more expansive from Eggman, rather than just sparring with Sonic like he said, we finally get a 'take over the city/world' scheme.

While I like these character displays from Tails, I admit this formula is starting to get repetitive however. The heroes whine about Tails' inventions, Eggman causes trouble, Tails' inventions save them'. I'm pretty sure this drill has happened in at least four episodes or more so far. It's a formula that's done well for Tails, but I would like more episodes another character like Knuckles or Amy finally got to do something noticeably efficient or even some more episodes less invention-centric for Tails.

I've noticed that straight after I pointed out we have barely even seen Comedy Chimp, we've had two episodes in a row he has a noticeable role. :P

Nice to see Sonic being a bit of a dork again since I feel they'd been pushing the straightman thing a bit far lately, so far it seems like he's been directed to either one side or the other, I wonder if there's a change in writer there or if that's just his characterisation.

I'm pretty surprised Tails didn't name the plane if he loves it so much, plus the fact it feels weird him calling it "the plane" since I'm used to "The Tornado." I found the obsession amusing but I do feel they pushed the joke a bit far on occasion, and I couldn't help but feel it was setting up for Tails to learn a lesson about not paying more attention to the plane than his freinds or something, but that might be picked up in another episode.

I like that the background characters are getting recurring roles, honestly I do, it really makes it feel like they have a complete community, also I honestly fine Dave the Intern funny.

These last couple of episodes I really feel like their forcing the "Knuckels is dumb" thing, this episode he seemed kind of a jerk for the sake of showing him fail at insults when so far he's only been shown and described as a really nice guy that gets on with everyone.

Sonic wiping his tears is cute tho.

As mentioned, I would like to see more moments Knuckles proves himself like Sonic and Tails have. While I don't mind him being a dopey goofball too much, I don't want him to end up the incompetent straw loser for the team like Antoine in Satam. I'd like to see them play around with his intellect (and lack of) more, similar to when Sticks' ramblings turn out to have some truth, it wouldn't hurt to show some moments Knuckles isn't totally dumb.

Sooo, anyone got a hint at what the bobblehead on Tails' dash is supposed to be?

I can't shake the feeling that I should be able to put a name to that character.

I'm always up for a Tails episode. Formula or not; keep em coming. 

It feels great seeing a version of Tails that isn't bland but on the flip side isn't a total whining jerk. He's a cool kid despite being a total nerd.

Sooo, anyone got a hint at what the bobblehead on Tails' dash is supposed to be?

I can't shake the feeling that I should be able to put a name to that character.

is there an image of this, because i forgot what it looked like

I'm always up for a Tails episode. Formula or not; keep em coming. 

It feels great seeing a version of Tails that isn't bland but on the flip side isn't a total whining jerk. He's a cool kid despite being a total nerd.

As said, Tails' funner personality keeps it going, but I do feel there's been a bit of repetition. It might only seem that way since Knuckles and Amy have only had one spotlight episode each so far though.

I can see why they may want to use Tails more however, he's probably their best character after Eggman.

We didn't an episode dedicated entirely to Amy though. Fortress of Squalitude was mostly Eggman focused but Amy was a major character as well. 

As for this episode, it was pretty good. Had some nice action scenes, Eggman's plan was pretty intuitive, seeing Tails having an obsession  for his plane was both cute and creepy but hey atleast, it's not with Cosm-*shot*. Sticks also a pretty funny joke that Jason posted that had me laughing, hadn't happen since her debut. Eggman is classic as always but one joke, that really got me was this:

"Just look at that Sonic the Hedgehog guy. Whatever happened to him? Is he still a thing?"

It's that tongue-in-cheek humor that gets me with this show. Seeing the Enerbeam again was also pretty nice.

Overall, a pretty good episode. I wouldn't put it as high as Meteor or Sidekick but it's definitely one of the good ones.

Also someone needs to get a gif of Tails playing ball with his plane, it was so adorable and sad at the same time! XD

Pretty good, but the animators are still really bad at making good liquid effects.

Good to see the Enerbeam actually got some use again. It's use as a grappling hook and not just a rope to connect team members is a neat perk to it.

I wasn't laughing that much this episode around, though.

Except for the ending of course... Eggman done goofed big time. :P

Kinda looked like one of those Pop! figures in design, I wonder if it's foreshadowing for a later episode.

Good to see the Enerbeam actually got some use again. It's use as a grappling hook and not just a rope to connect team members is a neat perk to it.

I wasn't laughing that much this episode around, though.

Except for the ending of course... Eggman done goofed big time. :P

Sometimes, less humor is better if it serves for a better story. I think the balance between humor, action, story and pacing were really good here. Eggman had a really good plan and a tough boos robot for Sonic and the gang to beat. Even Sticks contributed well, had a funny moment and wasn't annoying.

is there an image of this, because i forgot what it looked like

Kinda looked like one of those Pop! figures in design, I wonder if it's foreshadowing for a later episode.

Here you go, (although the quality is low):

tumblr_nlka1cxDym1tjy0zjo1_1280.jpg

From a tumblr post, they say it looks like a Sonic version of Charles Muntz.

BONUS:

tumblr_nlkqbnOWRn1trjs30o1_500.gif

I found this bit quite adorable. (melts from cuteness overload.)

I suppose if they get sick of Eggman, they can just focus on Tails and his gadgets, imagine :P:

Sonic & Tails in The Curse of the Werehog?

What? It could work!

Also someone needs to get a gif of Tails playing ball with his plane, it was so adorable and sad at the same time! XD

I'm aware that Kiah already posted the GIF, but I didn't like how it still had that flash at the end, it kind of ruins the loop of the GIF. So I made one myself, and added a delay at the end, for comical effect. afa.gif

• Thumbs Up 1

I suppose if they get sick of Eggman, they can just focus on Tails and his gadgets, imagine :P:

Hmm... THE FUTURE IS NOW, THANKS TO SCIENCE! Clemontic Gear On!

I thought we'd encounter a situation exactly like this one. So I pulled up a video of the best bumbling genius of the Pokemon World!

Yay! My first post since I recreated my account! :D 

Anyway, I'm really surprised I love this show so much, considering that I've never played a Sonic game in my entire life. Though this show was a great way to introduce me to the characters. Not only have the characters been redesigned to look amazing, but it's right up my alley. A comedy that's not too focused on plot and just wants to make you laugh. I love those types of shows. That said, I do like how they how good they've been with continuity so far. Nothing too big but it doesn't seem like the show has tons of pointless characters that they use for just one episode and then throw away. It seems they're reusing them and I love that. I always get a tad bit annoyed when a show uses a new character for something that a pre-existing character(s) could of been used for. If there's anything I do want to see with the characters though, I'd like to see more Sonic characters. 

In fact, I don't think there's any Sonic characters in the show besides the main cast. Which should be changed. I don't mind original characters (I do enjoy the ones seen in this show so far) but I do think they need to show more the pre-existing Sonic characters. I'd kind of like them to take the Teen Titans Go! route with the characters. You know, have original characters in the show but you'd also have tons of pre-existing characters appear. Anyway, Sonic Boom is definitely my second favorite show on the channel (behind the aforementioned Teen Titans Go!) and I hope it continues for a long, long time. 

I'm sorry BlueArms86, but suggesting Sonic Boom to be more like Teen Titans Go is a terrible idea! A lot of people are furious with how that show treats the characters and the fans. I was never a big fan of the original, but I admit the original was good, but Go is just terrible. You're saying you want the creators of Sonic Boom to make each character as childish, immature, and mean spirited as possible?! No thanks! Teen Titans Go is a disgrace as a spin off, and as a show in general. They made episodes where the main characters flat out die in the end, and that's not funny. No one tunes into a show they like, to see their once beloved characters get killed, as a desperate attempt to make people laugh. Sonic Boom is fine the way it is. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Yay! My first post since I recreated my account! :D

Anyway, I'm really surprised I love this show so much, considering that I've never played a Sonic game in my entire life. Though this show was a great way to introduce me to the characters. Not only have the characters been redesigned to look amazing, but it's right up my alley. A comedy that's not too focused on plot and just wants to make you laugh. I love those types of shows. That said, I do like how they how good they've been with continuity so far. Nothing too big but it doesn't seem like the show has tons of pointless characters that they use for just one episode and then throw away. It seems they're reusing them and I love that. I always get a tad bit annoyed when a show uses a new character for something that a pre-existing character(s) could of been used for. If there's anything I do want to see with the characters though, I'd like to see more Sonic characters. 

In fact, I don't think there's any Sonic characters in the show besides the main cast. Which should be changed. I don't mind original characters (I do enjoy the ones seen in this show so far) but I do think they need to show more the pre-existing Sonic characters. I'd kind of like them to take the Teen Titans Go! route with the characters. You know, have original characters in the show but you'd also have tons of pre-existing characters appear. Anyway, Sonic Boom is definitely my second favorite show on the channel (behind the aforementioned Teen Titans Go!) and I hope it continues for a long, long time. 

I would be absolutely annoyed if they made Boom resemble anything like Toddler Titans Go!. Sonic Boom is a series that actually has some smart team based comedy that doesn't take a shit on the original source material and has likeable characters. Teen Titans Go on the other hand is the most bottom of the barrel comedy you can get, with absolutely stupid jokes like spending an entire episode saying Waffles. That's apart from the times where they decide to take a shit on either the original Teen Titans (For example, their horrible adaption of How Long Is Forever? an absolutely amazing episode of the original series) or Young Justice (The recent Let's get Serious episode)

• Thumbs Up 1

Basically, character restrictions prevent Shadow and Lyric from being integrated until at least the Second Season.

Marathoning the series because I really need to catch up on it. I'll probably write reviews on each episode when I get the time. Eh, hopefully. In the meantime, have my review of the first episode, which had gotten lost in the recent wipe. Thankfully I had it on my tumblr account! ^_^

Episode 1: Sidekick

So, we finally get to see what many a Sonic fan has been waiting for this past year - the premier of the Sonic Boom TV show. I myself have been quietly looking forward to this series. I’ve seen the first episode, and now I’m going to give my thoughts on it. So, let’s do this.

Episode Overview:

We begin this episode with Sonic chasing Eggman through a canyon, and after a while, the latter brings out his newest robot, Burnbot. Who, despite his name, does not burn things. Um, Eggman? I think Sonic said it best - that’s false advertising man. Ah well.

So Sonic tries to get away from the improperly-named robot and who should come in via plane but young Miles ‘Tails’ Prower. We get a cool slow motion scene and shortly afterward, Burnbot attacks the plane. Cue our unfortunate foxy friend heading down.

After taking down Burnbot, we get a scene where Tails crashes and oh my god, Sonic’s face right after that. And the way he sped into action mere seconds later. You can tell he was worried for his friend.

Also, I loved the ironic humor in Eggman’s comment of Burnbot needing to lose weight.

Sonic gets to (an injured) Tails and vows that he’ll never let anything like that happen to his friend again. Let’s see how this goes…

Next scene has Tails waking up and Sonic asking him how he is. The hedgehog announces that his friend is going into early retirement! He calls this ‘good news’ and goes on to talk about how ‘great’ this is. Then we get a nice little hug. I loved Tails expression in that part. He’s a little confused.

Alright Tails. In other words, Sonic just fired you.

But according to Sonic, it was for the fox’s own good - he doesn’t want him to get hurt again. So, what our hedgehog friend attempts to do now is hire a new sidekick.

Also, is it just me, or did anyone else find Cubot’s comment about the job market to be a subtle stab at the current economy? I dunno, maybe I’ve over-thinking this. So, we get a scene where people are trying out for the part of Sonic’s new sidekick. We get to see Amy and Knuckles get introduced in this scene, and I’m going to say right now that I loved Amy’s audition for the role. Though Knuckles seemed a little confused about who was going to be whose sidekick. Tsk tsk.

So we get to a guy wearing a cloak - who is actually Tails wanting to get his job back. Sonic says he can’t be his sidekick, though the fox says otherwise. Then who should appear but Eggman, wanting to be Sonic’s sidekick.

Wait, what?

Sonic has decided to let them move onto what he calls ‘Round 2’ and our next scene has the candidates (this including a new character named Fastidious Beaver. Who is he voiced by anyway? I’ve heard that voice before) getting ready for a little race, in which the winner gets to be Sonic’s sidekick. The race kicks off and we soon discover that Eggman is only using this as an opportunity to take both him and Sonic out. (as if anyone watching expected anything else, lol)

Eggman manages to send Tails (who is flying in his plane at this point down… to a frozen lake? Uh, okay I guess? Sonic rushes over to Tails and manages to save his pal. He then goes to say that he never wanted to fire him, he was just trying to protect him. Tails isn’t really pleased about this, but he seems to understand Sonic’s reasoning. It looks like we’re about to get a nice, heartwarming scene where…

Oh, wait, I forgot about Eggman. And it turns out that now Burnbot can burn things! And remember how they’re at a frozen lake? Yeah, this iteration of Sonic can’t swim either.

Tails tries to save his friend, but the hedgehog tells him to save himself. Tails isn’t having any of that, and manages to rescue his friend. Sonic takes care of Burnbot, and then Tails caries him off.

We then get a nice scene of the two friends watching the sunset together and it seems as if Tails has gotten his job back. Awesome.

Meanwhile, Amy is waiting for a ‘call back’ and Knuckles is depressed because ‘Knuckles Jr. (the name he gave Sonic when he was trying to make the hedgehog his sidekick) isn’t working out. Amy thinks that means he needs a sidekick of his own, and starts repeating the same audition she had tried with Sonic – a ‘Crazy Pizza Man! Who juggles and sings’. AKA, ‘Knucklina’.

Review:

So that was the first episode. And what did I think about it? Well, admittedly, when Boom was first announced over a year ago., I was a little skeptical. For one thing, the fact that it was going to be a light-hearted comedy for young children did cause me some concern. There’s nothing wrong with light-hearted comedy (I do quite enjoy it) and there are a dang good amount of children’s cartoons that someone like me can enjoy even as an adult. But still, that and the apparent lack of continuity (which I love), plus my worries about how they might portray the characters made me wonder whether or not this would be a show I might soon grow to be very fond of, or one I would deem rubbish.

Well, so far it’s looking like the former.

We have only just reached the premier and already Sonic Boom looks to be a show I’m going to absolutely love. So many things I was afraid would have been gotten wrong have been done so right. The humor, which I hoped wasn’t going to be juvenile and overbearing, turned about to be zany and damn enjoyable, giving me a chuckle more than once. Sonic’s cocky insult to Eggman at the beginning, the scene where the inaccurately-named Burnbot was first introduced, Amy’s audition for the role of Sonic’s sidekick, plus a few other instances in the show were something I greatly enjoyed.

The characterizations? They have been done quite well. For example, Sonic. This iteration of the character is portrayed somewhat differently to fit in with the universe of this show, being more of an anti-social loner than what people are used to, yet still manages to keep to the roots of his game iteration – he is lovably cocky, with an air of arrogance to him, but his heart seems to be in the right place and as this episode shows, he is definitely capable of caring for his friends.

Which brings me to another element of this show I absolutely adored – the bromance between Sonic and Tails. I love seeing that and to have that showcased here in Boom pleased me quite a bit. The way Sonic rushes into action not once but twice to save his best buddy and make sure he’s okay was definitely a treat, even if it was a bit tense at the same time.

And while I’m at it, when I first heard there was going to be an episode where Sonic ‘fires’ Tails as his sidekick, I was afraid it would be because the hedgehog thought the fox wasn’t ‘good enough’ or something. What I get instead, is simply Sonic being concerned for his best friend’s safety, acting as the metaphorical big brother he should always be towards Tails.

And that’s not to say that Tails doesn’t deserve his praise for his role in this. The fox seems to hold Sonic in a high regard and the way he saved the hedgehog from drowning, despite the risk to himself is certainly commendable. Plus, the two of them watching the sunset together can be considered nothing less than ‘heartwarming’.

The voice acting is rather good too. Roger Craig Smith really shines as Sonic in this, providing a great range of emotions and all around sounding fantastic. That’s not to say he was perfect at the role in this – for one thing, I felt Sonic’s line about not being able to swim sounded far too flat and not at all fitting for such a character who had just falling to a freaking lake. But hey, Roger was otherwise excellent.

Mike Pollock proves yet again that he is the best Eggman ever and damn  has Cindy Robinson improved as Amy. Just goes to show you what a difference good voice direction can make. Hey, Sega? Take note; this is how I want Amy to sound like in the games. Don’t disappoint me now, kay? As for Tails, his new voice actress, Colleen Villard, has definitely shown promise and I look forward to hearing her portrayal of the character in episodes to come.

Visually, Sonic Boom is wonderful. The animation is great, especially for something that is a CGI cartoon show. Though it can get stiff and unnatural at times, most of the time it’s solid and I love the subtle pieces, like Sonic’s ears lightly twitching at points. Attention to detail like this is a plus. The characters, though the new designs are going to throw off some people, are modeled well and the world in which they live in lush and full of life.

Final Thoughts:

In conclusion, Sonic Boom is off to a wonderful start and I’m not ashamed to say I’m greatly looking forward to next week’s episode.

• Thumbs Up 1