Awoo.

Season 1 | Sonic Boom: TV Series Discussion

Ming Ming Hatsune

Imo this is the best episode out of them all, actually. Everyone is in character (including Orbot, which is a surprise), the jokes succeed each other fast enough to not live out their welcome, the jokes were consistantly clever and well timed this time around, and the end line helped save the ending from being, well, anticlimatic, as usual. 

Potential is something you should bring up with the entire show, though.

Honestly the show has never been big about plot or flow. That's not the main focus. They'd have a lot more depth and much more continuity otherwise. It doesn't take itself seriously at all and the anti-climatic gag at the end felt like it gave me that vibe more than ever. It's a comedy show. If it makes me laugh, in my opinion, that's mission accomplished. It may be low standards but to be honest this show isn't trying to be epic in story telling. And it doesn't need to. The way I see it it's supposed to be a nice little program to sit down, relax, and have a good laugh. And that, if I recall correctly from the interview with Bill that I participated in with the Sonic Show, is exactly what they were aiming to do.

Don't get me wrong. A nice plot is good of course. But 95% of what I expect of this show is to be entertained with humor. That, in my opinion, has been succeeding more than I expected so far.

• Thumbs Up 9

No, no guys. It obviously isn't Mighty or Shadow.

it's jet

No no no, it's clearly....

SONICMAN!

tumblr_m5dw6mGLfF1qimttgo1_500.png

• Thumbs Up 4

For the sake of having them back on this thread like I did with my takes of the first 8 Sonic Boom episodes on my post with my take on Episode 16, I am going to re-post my takes on Episodes 9-13 (I'll attach my takes on Episodes 14 & 15 with my take on Episode 18 come next week ;)). Then I'll give my take on Episode 17 as it sure was something! :)

Episode 9:

Guess I'll give my take on "Guilt Tripping" now that I just got the chance to see it. I thought that I would be able to sleep in due to the break of new episodes of Sonic Boom but ironically as soon as that break started, I began working Saturday mornings at 6 AM. So not only was I unable to sleep in, I am unable to watch Sonic Boom at 7 AM. Thankfully I was able to see it anyway.

I really enjoyed this episode! I loved Sonic and Tails' interactions with one another and Sonic's facial expressions were funny. I thought it was sweet for Tails to apologize for the Gogobas' possessions being sprawled all of the ground and offered to pick them up as that is something he didn't have to do. I also thought it was nice of Sonic to be concerned about the Gogobas and them needed to eat as I surely thought he was going express some kind of blatant annoyance with them staring at him and Tails eating.

As annoying and unfunny as the Gogobas were they didn't ruin the episode for me. I'm a pretty patient person but I honestly don't think I would of been able to tolerate all of that irritating guilt-tripping nonsense from them as much as Sonic and Tails did which I find commendable in its own right. Especially when Sonic and Tails could of just sped away and not even looked back on several occasions.

And it's amazing that Dr. Eggman showed up in the final TWO minutes of the episode (I honestly was getting worried that he wouldn't even show up with 9 minutes of the 11 minute episode finished already!) and he was able to steal the show despite that. Dr. Eggman's answering machine messages and him getting offended with Sonic not acknowledging them was hilarious. Even more so when he came to Sonic's house to see what was up as Dr. Eggman knows his nemesis well enough to know that Sonic would never ignore any his threats.

Further observations are are follows:

SM93ZkK.png?1
Sonic faceplanting in the ground NEVER gets old! :P Now, if only we could get that chili dog reference...

bvurORC.png?1
Just an observation as opposed to complaint but there was no Amy, Knuckles or Sticks in this episode. I don't see how they could of fit in with the antics of the Gogobas and Dr. Eggman (interesting that Fastedious of all people made a cameo in this episode!) anyway so it's definitely not a problem with their omissions. I hope to see them all back in action come next week.

pCUpnxk.jpg?1
This screenshot reminded me of the team gimmick in Sonic Free Riders:

6TXcD7r.jpg?1
I wonder if that was intentional or just a coincidence...

2g5OKqU.jpg?1
I think I have made it crystal clear how much I adore this gesture between Sonic and Tails. The best friends bro-fisting NEVER fails to make me smile  :D

Z6uNm7U.gif?1
I really can't blame Dr. Eggman for doing that as the Gogobas took annoying to a whole new level...

Overall I found it to be an enjoyable episode. If I had to rank "Guilt tripping", it would probably be my 5th favorite episode overall as it came nowhere near close to overriding my top favorite Sonic Boom episodes so far as it was good but certainly not great to be able to be among my absolute favorite episodes but overall I was happy with what I saw as I enjoyed it. Looking forward to seeing what is in store with Sonic Boom come next week! :)

Episode 10:

Finally got around to seeing Episode 10, and per usual, I would like to give my take on the new episodes.

"Dude, Where's my Eggman?" Was an episode that I enjoyed like pretty much all the other Sonic Boom episodes. It was nice and surprising to see an episode focused on Orbot and Cubot as I was hoping those two would get some love and I got my wish! Now we just need one primarily focused on Knuckles...Speaking of Knuckles, his dream sequence was hilarious!

PbKkhG9.png?1
I was too tickled with Sonic being portrayed as a coward. While I actually like to see something to cause Sonic to demonstrate some kind of fear, this wasn't what I had in mind lol. Knuckles' expression is funny there too.

7IhjE3L.png?2
Sonic wishing to be like Knuckles when he grows up...Yeah right! That would be the day Sonic wishes to be someone other than himself!

OznJGpG.jpg?1
Knuckles gets all da ladies...Yay for Sticks showing up!

Even though I enjoyed it, it's a shame that Knuckles got some love via a figment of his imagination of all things.

Further observations on my end:

G0DLL3O.png?2
Tails was generous enough to contribute to Orbot and Cubot's performance as poor as it was.

LGmZTfW.png?1
Looking at the jar after Orbot and Cubot tried to get Amy to donate for Dr. Eggman's bail it looks like the same amount that Tails had given them so no one else contributed that was standing around!

CEiT7VG.png?2
I thought it was really sweet with Orbot wiping away Cubot's tears with supposedly Dr. Eggman's mustache. They both thought Dr. Eggman had been accidentally killed and seeing them mourn him was rather touching as that showed that they really cared about him.

AbU033C.png?3
The party scene is so fun to look at! Details include banners in the shapes of Orbot and Cubot's heads and balloons of Orbot, Cubot and Dr. Eggman. The Crabmeats and Motobugs are even wearing party hats! 

Overall this episode was enjoyable to me, especially being able to see Orbot and Cubot get the spotlight and showing some fine characterization from them also. And Knuckles provided some great laughs as well. I definitely didn't mind Sonic and Tails being on the back-burner this episode due to the others getting a chance to shine as they definitely did so. Really good stuff and I hope that Orbot and Cubot get some more love in the show soon as they were both great in this episode.

Episode 11:

Cowbot was a great episode as I enjoyed it a lot as there were so many goodies in this episode. I loved the reference of Angel Island and references to previous episodes with the evil pajamas and Dave the intern.

Further observations that I enjoyed:

CQLV72L.jpg?2
I love this celebratory chest bump between Sonic and Knuckles after they broke the record at the time.

E6aVPsm.jpg?2
Amy imitating Sonic here with the tapping of the foot, hands on hips and the total lack of patience with Sonic and Knuckles playing "Coconut Hurl".

Ypn5K3o.jpg?1
This shot here after Amy got bonked on the end with a coconut immediately reminded me of this:

G0cdx8G.png?1
When Sonic got hit with a couple of coconuts himself in Sonic Unleashed :P

4evkCl4.jpg?2
I love how the crew all shared a laugh together when Dr. Eggman introduced Cowbot to them. I would be laughing too if I saw that thing!

And Dr. Eggman doing this:
2abyHKq.gif?1

Reminded me of him doing it here in Sonic Adventure 2:
UbZpDfj.gif?1

muOvzIl.jpg?1

ry5JyH4.jpg?1
We FINALLY got a chili dog reference in Sonic Boom! :D I was wondering when this was going to be the case seeing Sonic was with a burger often.

cM9nnOV.jpg?1
Also loved Sonic's gestures to Tails and Dr. Eggman here as well as the other things Sonic, Tails and Dr. Eggman did together. The character interaction in this episode was amazing and I love it!

As for the thought of Sonic not caring about Dr. Eggman's well-being, I'm not down with that either. After all, Sonic did let Dr. Eggman stay with him and Tails in Episode 2 and Sonic did quickly get Dr. Eggman out of harm's way in Episode 8 after the ambush caused by the Eggheads, (which was technically Dr. Eggman's fault) so that shows that Sonic doesn't want him without his needs such a roof over his head or in danger. I agree that it would be totally out of character for Sonic not to help anyone in need and for them to be safe, even if it was his arch nemesis. Sonic and Tails' actions here to help Dr. Eggman shows some fine characterization with the both of them IMO.

And I am going to stop here as I could definitely go on and on about what I enjoyed in Episode 11 of Sonic Boom, mainly due to the great character interaction throughout the episode and the many laughs as well. Cowbot is definitely one of my favorite episodes for those reasons and more! :)

Episode 12:

Circus of Plunder was a good episode. T. W. Barker wasn't an antagonist to write home about to me but I'll give him credit for being able to trap Sonic, Knuckles, Amy and Sticks by prodding Sonic's ego (this flaw has been made evident yet again!) or making Amy feel guilty, for example.  The strong point of the episode was the characterization of some of the characters IMO. 

FqJkeQo.jpg?1
I loved how Amy being sympathetic was further fleshed out with her wanting to bring joy to the children. I also like how she took her job of being a sad clown very seriously.

CNvF42V.jpg?1
I love how Tails didn't lash out at Knuckles, Amy and Sticks after they lashed out at him.  He felt very apologetic as he apologized right away as opposed to making excuses and he was determined to right his wrong. I also liked how he didn't even hesitate to help his friends, not even for a second when Sonic asked for help. This is at least the second time Tails didn't harbor any resentment when he was criticized for his inventions. I'm really loving Tails' characterization in Sonic Boom :)

BhDFK3A.jpg?1
But the highlight for me was Sonic not jumping in the scolding of Tails with the others and actually defending him just like a big brother should. Sonic was gentle in his tone defending Tails and even calling him "Buddy" in efforts to console his disappointed and sad best friend. Then Sonic turned around to the others telling them still gently to go easy on Tails and that he made a mistake and Sonic was saying that no one was immune to making mistakes themselves before he was interrupted by T.W. Barker. That scene to me was so sweet and really warmed my heart to see Sonic interact with and stick up for Tails that way.

As for further observations:

1nKxgbi.jpg?1
When Amy told Knuckles to "flank left", I was really afraid we were going to get a moment like THIS again:

LnjzF6b.gif?1
Thankfully that didn't happen. We did get Knuckles fussing at Amy for giving orders again as that happened at least in Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric.

Frzeggs.jpg?1
Sonic is so silly here shaking the hand, I mean tentacle of the OctopusBot

FhdX5tK.jpg?1
You know Dr. Eggman is awesome when he has you chuckling a bit simply by him watching TV of all things. The Doctor never fails to entertain in Sonic Boom, even if he isn't really involved in the episode. 

rItLKLK.jpg?1
Loving Amy's multi-tasking here!

4OccBQZ.jpg?2
Odd that T.W. Barker and Tails' plane was left behind, but I was happy to see Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, Amy and Sticks be on the same page and walk off together at the end of the episode.

Circus of Plunders wasn't the the funniest of episodes, but the characterization of some of the characters and especially and Sonic and Tails' bromance shining brightly in this episode made this one a good one anyway :)

Episode 13:

"Unlucky Knuckles" was pretty good with a few good moments and laughs from me here and there. I'm just going to give some observations with Episode 13 like I've been doing with each episode ever since Sonic Boom came on the air as I really like doing this :P :

XIhxQ47.png?2
Gopher ball! I wonder how many more silly games we will see the gang playing...

vgTdrl3.png?2
Loving how Sonic is chillin' waiting for Knuckles to get a successful shot in Gopher Ball. Even though Sonic's pride and ego wouldn't allow him to purposely lose to Knuckles I like how Sonic called Knuckles "Knux". 

FhRtxrs.jpg?2
"I just want to yell!" Yes, Knuckles, I know the feeling...

I noticed some things on a repetitive level:

UqqcgGQ.png?2
This is the second consecutive week that Knuckles has been smashed by a boulder!

wmOM2Nq.png?2
And got shot out of a canon

Qql1sZn.png?1
The Sonic and Tails "impostor" masks are back from Episode 4!

98FyKeu.png?1
Laser tag with Dr. Eggman needs to be a thing of some sort in a future Sonic game via a mini game, boss fight, or something! I just love the Doctor's playful side in Sonic Boom! :)

I'm glad Knuckles finally got an episode focused on him although so many things didn't go his way! It's good that him being so gullible ended up doing good in the end. And poor Tails at the end of the episode!

KzF5yym.png?3
The kid has had it rather rough in this cartoon so far, hasn't he? :(

Anyway, looking forward to seeing what is in store next week with "The Meteor"!

"Don't Judge Me": this episode was a riot! My only complaints was in regards to how bizarre the beginning was with the gang battling the MothBot and the Comedy Chimp references as those parts of the episode fell flat for me. Seriously, for the beginning battle Sonic could of smashed the thing himself instead of going through all of that. And it was funny to see that cockiness of Sonic's not pay off for him, only for him to find out he was being sued by Dr. Eggman. But before I get started with my observations of this episode: 

Someone has to put that dance scene into a meme or a gif.

I agree!

a2JdvhG.gif?1
There you go :) Now with my observations for Episode 17:

izJKS7D.jpg?2
"Hey! Look at me! I'm having an idea!" Knuckles, you are too much! :P

1y6KGAD.jpg?1
The best friends sharing a HUGE sandwich together 

HhqWvt4.jpg?1
Soar made a comeback rather quickly! He's still nothing to write home about IMO.

BLnvYug.jpg?1
Knuckles has his reading glasses back as Sonic's lawyer! Some of the Gogobas are spectators and that look on Sonic's face is hilarious!

r4gxZn5.jpg?1
Sticks serving as a witness for the defense?! That being a bad idea should of been a given.

P942a7z.jpg?1
A lot of other familiar faces are in this courtroom: from the judge to the bailiff to the jurors to the lawyers to the spectators! I love how Tails gushed about his best friend when he was on the witness stand :)

JQPKWq3.jpg?1
Amy saves the day! I was wondering where she was!

ECCTgXN.jpg?2
See, jury duty isn't so bad after all! The jurors didn't flee like the spectators did and they got to see a good show as well as the truth coming out! 

Overall I found "Don't Judge Me" a really good episode bar the few bits I didn't like. It wasn't enough to ruin it, especially due to all the laughs it provided for me. From Dr. Eggman's constant faking throughout the episode with his fake injuries and fake kind portrayal of himself, to Knuckles' antics, to the dance party, to Judge BurnBot being annoyed with Fastidious Beaver, this episode gave me plenty to laugh about and is definitely one of my favorite Sonic Boom episodes ^_^

• Thumbs Up 9

I gotta say, starting out with that whole mothbot gambit, this episode had one of the best stretches in the entire series so far. The lightbulb, the fly swatter, the mothballs - shoot it had everything. (clearly our heroes did their research this time lol)

but I felt like the entire episode tanked when it got to the trail. It was way to formulaic in how it presented itself, and the jokes weren't strong enough to cover the uncomfortable situation. Outside of Knux's objection, I went through a pretty long meh stretch in the middle of this episode.

Can't say it was one of my favorites, but they all can't be winners I guess.

No no no, it's clearly....

SONICMAN!

tumblr_m5dw6mGLfF1qimttgo1_500.png

You joke, but I think a character like Sonicman would feel right at home with Boom. The sheer ridiculousness behind his character alone would fit the show's tone perfectly.

I have to admit, some part of me actually almost felt like crying during the Knuckles self cross-examination scene.

CAE6AvUUIAA3Rol.jpg

...And that's why Burnbot was elected as Judge. #BestJudge2015

There's similarities, I guess? In the colour scheme?

(To be fair, I thought the robot dance in SC was hilarious when I just watched it.)

Edited by Oscillo-Kaworu
  • Thumbs Up 2

Actually, it's not Burnbot, but a smaller, less lethal model named Judgebot. It just comes down to the animators being lazy, and recycling old robot designs.

Actually, it's not Burnbot, but a smaller, less lethal model named Judgebot. It just comes down to the animators being lazy, and recycling old robot designs.

I don't know, he's wearing a wig...

Actually it's hinted that it is in fact Burnbot, but he has been reprogrammed to act as a judge.

• Thumbs Up 2

Actually it's hinted that it is in fact Burnbot, but he has been reprogrammed to act as a judge.

That would make sense, given they could have easily used an animal minor character for it instead.

On the flipside, they also wanted the humorous irony of an Eggman robot hosting the trial, which is supposed to be "fair."

Though they could have used Orbot for it too, couldn't they?

Hmmm, well in that case, I actually do like them using Burnbot, since it does show promise for an addition to the recurring supporting cast such as Dave, that Barker fellow and company.

I suppose it's nice to have a recurring robot character other than Orbot and Cubot.

I tell ya, imagine if Burnbot turns out to be one of those customizable, one-stop-shopping, adaptable for different scenario type of creations, Heh, I can see that going places.

I honestly thought the episode was really meh. For an episode with so much potential, It didn't really make use of it. We know how much fun and how funny it is when Mike gets to really ham it up and yet, despite faking a injury of all things, he plays it really straight. It's a massive shame because Mike could have seriously overplayed Eggman's injury for the sake of comedy.

I also don't like the townspeople in this episode because they act like assholes. Eggman has set evil machine after evil machine loose on the town multiple times and the townspeople have clearly seen Sonic save the day countless times. How the hell does it make sense to have the townspeople just instantly believe that because Eggman creates a fake video with robots clearly built by him? The better way to have done that in my opinion is have the townspeople not take it seriously but being dragged into the jury duty because of Eggman abusing the court system and having created Judgebot.

I am also getting so fucking sick of Fastidious Beaver. He is the worst side character thus far. Why? The only thing you ever see is him acting like a douche and constantly correcting others' wording and saying ''Actually'', He's a one note, annoying character. I also don't like Comedy Chimp. His sections were like unfunny filler to draw the episode out longer.

I do not like how Knux was treated here either. Knuckles so far hasn't been portrayed as a total numbskull. Just as a person who has average intelligence and is superstitious. The entire court section on the other hand was nothing but Knuckles being a total moron who constantly points out how stupid he is and I don't like that. I didn't like it in Rise of Lyric when they said he couldn't figure out right from left, and I didn't like it in the comics where they treated him as a idiot in Issue 1. The actual TV Show was the only part of Boom that did the idea of Knux nicely and they ended up screwing the entire thing up here just for a stupid joke.

I also didn't like the dance scene or the ending because both were entirely random, stupid, and just weren't that funny. The dance scene only lasts for 5 seconds and they only joke about it is ''Whoop De Doo, Dancing doesn't happen in a court room!''. The ending was completely terrible and anticlimactic, and just unfunny. The writers stating ''that was anticlimactic'' doesn't excuse a bad ending. It just means they know for a fact it was a bad ending but yet, they went with it anyway. It's lazy writing.

There is some positive things. I like how Sonic is written because he knows for a fact that the entire thing is nothing but a massive joke but I also like how his cockiness was tested and backfired on him multiple times. Plus his reactions do get a laugh, for example when the court chooses Sonic as guilty and Sonic goes deadpan and says ''Guilty of being awesome...?''. Tails was also good in this episode and Sticks was for better and for worse meh, but then again, it's better than her being a one note joke character that is annoying like most other episodes.

I also like how they gave everything an explanation in this episode. I like how they explained why Knuckles was Sonic's lawyer despite the fact that he is the least qualified person you could get for the job. I like how they explained Amy's absence throughout the episode as being away on a trip, and it was just a nice touch to explain any possible plot holes.

But overall, I just don't think it's a good episode. Is it the worst? No, that dishonor still goes to Buster. But at best, it's just so damn average, and at worst, it's a boring, lazy episode. 

And I'm gonna compare this to another series that shockingly managed to do the same premise, in the same amount of time, in a much better way.

Screen-179495.jpg

That's right. Spongebob did an episode based around the exact same premise during it's forth season entitled Krabs Vs Plankton. Plankton in an attempt to beat Krabs, pretends to have an injury in order to sue him for the Krabby Patty formula. Just as a few quick points. The townspeople have a reason to give him a fake trial because since this takes place before the movie, they just see him as a owner of a dead end restaurant who was unfairly injured. Plankton also really hams it up and overplays the injuries as well, which is funny to see. 

The reasoning for why Spongebob is Krabs' lawyer is also pretty funny, mainly because Krabs was too cheap to pay for a lawyer, so it backfired by having Spongebob be his lawyer.

Despite Season 4 being seen as hit or miss for Spongebob, this is definitely one of the hit episodes in my own opinion and a better done version of this episode IMO. 

• Thumbs Up 2

I'm glad I wasn't the only one bummed out by this episode. Your review is very similar to the one I made yesterday on this exact same forum. The episode had good potential, but too many uninspired fillers dragged it down. It had it's moments. The opening fight, the explanation for why Knuckles was Sonic's lawyer,  Sticks' crazy singing and freaking out at the bench, Eggman's phony kindness video, and Amy's absense explained, as she saves the day. I was thinking the ending with Amy would have gone differently. I was wondering if maybe Amy would explain how she heard about the trial, and she decided to whip up some evidence to stop Eggman. Eggman found out she had great evidence, so he captured her and locked her up. Amy would have explained that she managed to break out. That would have been an interesting way for her to save Sonic, instead of just randomly walking in, and slamming her hammer on the ground. Seriously, did the writers intend for Amy to do that, so she could make Eggman move his head, or did she just randomly walk in there, to prove her hammer was bigger than the Judgebot's gabble? I loved her last quote though. "I was out of town for the week, for a bee keeping seminar, and look what happens." I thought it was funny that Amy felt like Sonic got in trouble, just because she wasn't around to look after the team, like she always does. 

Somebody should add Ace Attorney music to this episode.

PLEASE

Eh, the episode itself was pretty flat.

^This, please.

Pah! No one's that obsessed with both franchises to do such a---- http://youtu.be/BiwTm9mAsf0

Okay, guilty as charged! phoenix-sheepish%28a%29.gif I regret nothing though you hear me! Nothing! 

The voices are alittle drowned out, work on evening out the voice/music balance and its perfect!

Yeah, I've actually noticed now, for some odd reason Movie Maker shifts up the default volume of the music attached. Working on that as we speak.

Pardon the double post, but here's the real deal here now! Sound balanced and everything!

Hmmm edgeworth-shrug.gif much better sounding I must say. Edited by Kiah
Posts merged. Please edit your first post to avoid double posting, please.
  • Thumbs Up 3

Knuckles: Yeah I'd like a fist sandwich!

Should have said "Knuckles sandwich."

Pardon the double post,  but here's the real deal here now! Sound balanced and everything!

Hmmm edgeworth-shrug.gif much better sounding I must say.

Oh, God I'M CRYING THIS IS SO GOOD.

THANK YOU GOOD SIR.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I've actually noticed now, for some odd reason Movie Maker shifts up the default volume of the music attached. Working on that as we speak.

Pardon the double post, but here's the real deal here now! Sound balanced and everything!

Hmmm edgeworth-shrug.gif much better sounding I must say.

Didn't care for the episode, but this really improved on it by a ton. XDDD;;; Thanks for making it.

I finally saw the episode, "Don't Judge Me" on Youtube and  I never thought it was possible for me to giggling and laughing this much throughout the entire episode and I've had previous episodes where I've laughed a bit, but not like this episode where it constantly had me in stitches. :D Sonic's reaction and Knuckles being his attorney was hilarious, along with Dr. Eggman, Cubot and Orbot faking that footage. Seeing T.W. Barker as a prosecutor was really neat and him trying continuously pin Sonic as nothing but a violet attacker was also priceless.

Also, that dance party sequence:

a2JdvhG.gif?1

Just amazing.

Also, I find it really adorable of Burnbot being judge and wearing the wig. I really hope to see more of him because it's interesting to see one Eggman's robots, that isn't Orbot and Cubot, as a recurring. I have to say this is one of the best episodes I've seen in the show by far! Can't wait for next week's episode. :)

• Thumbs Up 4

Judge Burn-Bot was the best. The biggest laughs I've had were all with him, starting with the seemingly random gavel banging. 

Something about seeing a 3-D model flailing it's arm around like that for no reason is hilarious.

• Thumbs Up 2