Awoo.

Sonic Runn..er wait... "SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX!"

Badnik Mechanic

I imagine that, I can't imagine them not having a main series game for the 25th Aniversary!

Indeed, it would seem blasphemous. While Hedgehog Day was never really important and seemed more like a fanfare thing, 25th anniversaries are generally a pretty big milestone, particularly since they tend to be the last one given much importance up until the 50th in a lot of cases.

I would guess that means this year we'll be getting the next game from the Unleashed/Generations team, which hopefully lives up to those games (or at least half of Unleashed...)

Then in 2015, a new title from Sumo presumably that will be on as many consoles as possible...Sounds about right.

Makes sense. Here's just hoping that the anniversary title in 2016 makes it to all of the big three consoles for once.

They'll probably go all out for the anniversary , so it'll probably go on PS4/xbone, which is understandable.

I don't know. I get the feeling that unless it's made on Crysis levels of development, the Wii U won't be sitting this one out.

I meant they might try and go for gens detail but at 60 fps, the xbone and ps4 could handle that, the Wii u couldn't, they MIGHT down port it but considering Lost a World sold so badly and it would be expensive to down port so they might not do it

Eh, Sega's been rather unpredictable these days. Personally I'm expecting that the Wii U version won't get gimped and will also get in on the 60fps too.

Sega should have one team develop Sonic. Why do you think EA eventually created Ghost Games to make NFS instead of having Criterion/Black Box shuffle development and have wildly inconsistent metacritic scores/reputations? NFS was in a rut of mediocrity for a long time...

They already have two teams and they don't have the money to either buy out another studio or hire more staff to make a second studio

Oh I know, I don't mind waiting for a game, heck we had to do that before there was two teams, I was replying to Gilgamesh ... Of course now reading his back the point he was trying to make is not what I thought it was.

I THOUGHT he was saying that they should hire more staff to create another studio to do the spinoffs. My bad sorry! That's what I get for reading with a toddler on my lap!

• Thumbs Up 1

I honestly hope the Wii U version isn't 60fps, as that creates a pretty crap lowest common denominator to cater to. :/ It's doubtful that Sonic Generations, for instance, could be run at 60fps on Wii U - I'd really rather not have that version hold all the others back technically for that reason. 720p/30fps is the Wii U's third party standard, and it should stay that way.

Unleashed and Generations' level of detail is the minimum standard for me. I'll be really annoyed if they reuse Lost World's style as I hate the look of that game.

I honestly hope the Wii U version isn't 60fps, as that creates a pretty crap lowest common denominator to cater to. :/ It's doubtful that Sonic Generations, for instance, could be run at 60fps on Wii U - I'd really rather not have that version hold all the others back technically for that reason. 720p/30fps is the Wii U's third party standard, and it should stay that way.

I disagree with that notion. If the Wii U can run games with looks like 3D World and Mario Kart 8 at 60 fps, I see no reason to single it out for 60fps Sonic exclusion.

I haven't bothered playing a single game since Generations anyway, so I agree with Scar as well. :P

I disagree with that notion. If the Wii U can run games with looks like 3D World and Mario Kart 8 at 60 fps, I see no reason to single it out for 60fps Sonic exclusion.

Mario Kart 8 is nice, but it's much slower and smaller in scale than a game like Generations. Sacrifices would absolutely have to be made. Just look at how much detail and fidelity had to be sacrificed in Lost World to reach that 60fps. 

and no I would absolutely hate a game that looked like 3D World, no thanks.

Lost World is probably more demanding than Generations or Unleashed even if you don't like the visual style, there's usually a lot more happening on screen at once in SLW when most of the beauty of those games are background visuals, and SLW is intentionally stylised, not simplified, there's a big difference there.

If Wii U can 60fps SLW, then it could definitely 60fps Generations. If the new game is built fairly for Wii U too, there's no real reason it shouldn't be 60fps, it's not like it'd be holding the other versions back if they were all fairly built.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sketchy. I'm quite doubtful that such sacrifices will need to be made for the Wii U version altogether.

Lost World is probably more demanding than Generations or Unleashed even if you don't like the visual style, there's usually a lot more happening on screen at once in SLW when most of the beauty of those games are background visuals, and SLW is intentionally stylised, not simplified, there's a big difference there.

Lost World more demanding than Generations? Debatable.

Unleashed? Definitely not. Unleashed had much more complex lighting, more detailed textures, more polygons and in stages like Adabat, a shit-load more on-screen than anything I've seen in LW. I'm pretty sure that the general consensus is that Unleashed is much better looking, and thus more demanding than Generations.

If Wii U can 60fps SLW, then it could definitely 60fps Generations. If the new game is built fairly for Wii U too, there's no real reason it shouldn't be 60fps, it's not like it'd be holding the other versions back if they were all fairly built.

Oh, I'm sure the Wii U could 60fps Generations. The question is if it could do the same with Unleashed. Given that it has much more RAM and a better GPU than the PS360, I would say it should. However, I ain't no expert on this kind of thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

Eh?? Lost World being less technically impressive than Generations and Unleashed has nothing to do with my opinion on the style they took. The game is incredibly slow in comparison, the textures are extremely simple, and the lighting is very flat. 

I'm honestly not trying to be elitist or anything, and I can absolutely see people preferring one look over the other, but to deny that Unleashed and Generations are more demanding on a technical level is simply untrue. They're much more demanding because of their insane speed and simultaneous detail and lighting. I suppose I could be proven wrong, sure, but I'd be very surprised to see the Wii U run it at 60fps when the bloated Hedgehog Engine was already unstable on the PS3/360. 

Eh?? Lost World being less technically impressive than Generations and Unleashed has nothing to do with my opinion on the style they took. The game is incredibly slow in comparison, the textures are extremely simple, and the lighting is very flat. 

I'm honestly not trying to be elitist or anything, and I can absolutely see people preferring one look over the other, but to deny that Unleashed and Generations are more demanding on a technical level is simply untrue. They're much more demanding because of their insane speed and simultaneous detail and lighting. I suppose I could be proven wrong, sure, but I'd be very surprised to see the Wii U run it at 60fps when the bloated Hedgehog Engine was already unstable on the PS3/360. 

You speak of it as if the Wii U is exactly the same, if not worse than the 360/PS3. :P

• Thumbs Up 1

I don't see why a single studio couldn't have more than one team provided the studio is large enough and the same people direct the progress of each team.

Overall the biggest issue is just that so few of SEGA's IPs sell as well as Sonic. I think that's part of why they've been going on acquisition spree: they gave up on their homebrewed titles and are now looking for other revenue streams. SEGA is most likely under a lot of pressure from Sammy to perform, as well, thus they NEED to churn out Sonic games every year.

Really that just highlights why a company like Sony or Nintendo should have SEGA instead, as they could rotate Sonic games with their already-robust lineups. SEGA's video games just don't seem to really have the critical mass to sustain the company without a serious loss in quality.

• Thumbs Up 1

Lost World is running the Hedgehog Engine though, it uses the same lighting engine but just isn't as noticeable in most stages. Plus there are typically far more moving models on screen at once in SLW, where enemies and such aren't as common in Unleashed and Generations. Granted those games were pushed because of their speed and as a result the amount of backgrounds that had to load quickly, but there's no reason to believe the next Sonic game will need to do that either?

I'm just not sure why the Wii U version of the 2015 game having 60fps automatically means that the other versions are shit? If they all get fair treatment there's no reason they can't all be 60fps, especially if SEGA are already more used to developing with Wii U by that point.

• Thumbs Up 4

Isn't Unleashed the game that's famous for not running properly on the systems it was released on?

I still can't decide if that was poor optimization or just plain Sonic Team going overboard. 

Generations would probably be fine on the Wii U though. They toned the visuals down a fair bit from Unleashed. It overall leads to it looking better in motion without it being technically taxing. If they took advantage of the hardware's strengths they could probably do 60 FPS

Isn't Unleashed the game that's famous for not running properly on the systems it was released on?

I still can't decide if that was poor optimization or just plain Sonic Team going overboard. 

I've always thought it was both, mostly incompetence on SEGA's part (it's not like the rest of the game was that well put together either lol). Early 7th gen SEGA had tons of issues releasing flawless games on 360 and especially PS3, I have no doubt at all that if Unleashed were released now they could probably get it to run on at least a constant 30fps on all of them, maybe even 60.

Why are we comparing the Wii U to the less powerful 360/PS3?