Awoo.

Sonic Runn..er wait... "SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX!"

Badnik Mechanic

Another thing, the difference from 45 FPS to 60FPS isn;t that noticeable. In the offchance that the Wii U really does hinder performance of the game, they could just drop the framrate a bit and nothing would change.

Framerate stability is a big factor as well, though. Considering how huge the difference is we could feasibly get something like Adabat on Wii U that runs silky smooth on the other two.

I think you're hoping a bit too much, the budget to fully use the PS4/Xbone to their fullest, and then produce an entirely different Wii U version due to that, is pretty much the opposite of how SEGA operates,

Not necessarily to the fullest, really. Even launch games built for the two systems utilize technology not previously available. It wouldn't be too hard, really. Resogun's a good example of this really - it can't have had a very large budget.

It's merely informative. For those interested.

Sketchy. But if you say so, then so be it.

resogun is the only game that runs well though

I'm just not seeing it, since they literally haven't done this since Unleashed. I find it hard to believe there won't be a 3DS version either (since that's the Sonic cash cow right now, it seems). So that would be one version designed to actually use the hardware in the PS4 and Bone properly, a version designed to use the Wii U's hardware properly, and a 3DS version. Granted, the 3DS version would be developed by fuckin' DIMPS, but that's a whole lot of money to be throwing around at what seems like SEGA's first foray into the other 2 platforms. I mean, their only other published game, on PS4, is Guilty Gear Xrd. Which is run on arcade hardware that is 4 years outdated.

Correct me if I'm wrong on Xrd. I'm pretty sure Guilty Gear's license still belongs to SEGA Sammy holdings, and the game is in fact running on RingEdge 2.

• Thumbs Up 1

And Dissy, I'm not trying to say you're completely wrong, because that could easily be the case in the future, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

• Thumbs Up 1

resogun is the only game that runs well though

I'm just not seeing it, since they literally haven't done this since Unleashed. I find it hard to believe there won't be a 3DS version either (since that's the Sonic cash cow right now, it seems). So that would be one version designed to actually use the hardware in the PS4 and Bone properly, a version designed to use the Wii U's hardware properly, and a 3DS version. Granted, the 3DS version would be developed by fuckin' DIMPS, but that's a whole lot of money to be throwing around at what seems like SEGA's first foray into the other 2 platforms. I mean, their only other published game, on PS4, is Guilty Gear Xrd. Which is run on arcade hardware that is 4 years outdated.

To be fair, though, four years outdated is still better than seven.

As I said in my post, it's totally up to what SEGA and Sonic Team decide to do with the next game. It's no doubt that if it's natively built for Wii U it'll be much, much, smoother and visually superior on the other two, but apart from that it's really all just up to speculation.

Considering how important Sonic is as a franchise for them, it's not unlikely that they'll want him to have a big presence on the new consoles. Just like Sonic Unleashed, really.

also killzone, need for speed, and tomb raider all work pretty well in my opinion I didn't really notice any problems

And Dissy, I'm not trying to say you're completely wrong, because that could easily be the case in the future, but I just don't see it happening anytime soon.

Oh, I don't disagree. That's why I listed both possibilities, haha. I even said the game being natively Wii U is the more probable situation. Though I'm personally hoping for another game as ambitious as Unleashed (on multiple fronts - not just graphics), I'm not holding my breath. :P

But the Wii U ISN'T 7 years outdate. Where are you getting this shit? If it is indeed a 5000 series card (which it's not, it's a modified 6000 series card), it's from that exact same time period. Now, you can argue the CPU bottleneck, but it's not only slightly newer tech than the 360 and PS3.

Also, I'm just going to pretend you forgot that SEGA's actual attempt at a big presence was Sonic '06.

But the Wii U ISN'T 7 years outdate. Where are you getting this shit? If it is indeed a 5000 series card (which it's not, it's a modified 6000 series card), it's from that exact same time period. Now, you can argue the CPU bottleneck, but it's not only slightly newer tech than the 360 and PS3.

The CPU is exactly the problem. It doesn't matter that the GPU is "only" four-six years out of date, as the CPU holds it back anyway. By today's standards it's legitimately awful.

The amount of cores doesn't actually mean the hardware is from 2007, though. You do know a significant number of Intel and AMD processors, new ones, are even still dual core, right? The Latte isn't great by any means, I'm just arguing this whole "old" thing.

(For instance, the aforementioned RingEdge 2 does actually use a dual core i3. SEGA's not exactly pushing for the cutting edge.)

i3's are a whole different thing.

Pentiums need to be scrapped, seriously, they're useless by today's standards.

The amount of cores doesn't actually mean the hardware is from 2007, though. You do know a significant number of Intel and AMD processors, new ones, are even still dual core, right? The Latte isn't great by any means, I'm just arguing this whole "old" thing.

I feel this is just getting into semantics, honestly, but fair enough.

A more accurate statement to make is that the system is roughly capable of handling the same workload as hardware that were cutting edge seven years ago. Marginally better in some ways and worse in others.

In any case, the actual main point of that post was to highlight the fact that Sonic is a very major franchise for SEGA, and it wouldn't be surprising for them to want it garnering attention on the systems people are buying in droves. It was the exact same situation with Unleashed.

• Thumbs Up 1

Unleashed was literally the baby of one guy who spent exorbitant resources on a game that was more about the engine than the actual game itself. He later left for Square-Enix. Seems fitting, doesn't it?

Unleashed was literally the baby of one guy who spent exorbitant resources on a game that was more about the engine than the actual game itself. He later left for Square-Enix. Seems fitting, doesn't it?

Look, dude - I'm not saying it's going to happen, or even that it's likely. I don't think it's that much of a stretch to acknowledge the possibility of a situation that isn't unprecedented with this franchise. I even said that the other situation is more likely.

Considering the way SEGA is now, I really do think it's a stretch. But this is getting silly, so I say we just agree to disagree on this one. Don't need to keep going around in circles.

I just want them to try to mimic what Mario Kart 8 is doing graphically and style-wise on Wii U:

igBt90S9QEraS.gif

Looks a lot of like Gens, at a slick 60fps where as Gens was 30fps on consoles.

• Thumbs Up 7

I'd be down for that. MK8's quite pretty, and taking inspiration from it wouldn't scream "MARIO" in the same way Lost World did.

• Thumbs Up 1

Wasn't there a talk about a reboot on the franchise? How high are the chances of this being it? 

Also first game coming to all the main consoles since Unleashed, woah, it's been a while.

Wasn't there a talk about a reboot on the franchise? How high are the chances of this being it? Also first game coming to all the main consoles since Unleashed, woah, it's been a while.
You forgot Generations... =o

You forgot Generations... =o

Generations didn't come for the Wii, which was Nintendo's main console at the time.

Generations didn't come for the Wii, which was Nintendo's main console at the time.

Oh yeah, I forgot. Sorry. @.@

Nice post, Discoid!

Though it was meant to help the Wii U (if I'm not mistaken), it just convinced me to get a PS4 over Xbox One more than anything. XD Thank you for writing it, though. smile.png

Wasn't there a talk about a reboot on the franchise? How high are the chances of this being it?

They've talked about rebooting the franchise since the mid-2000s as memory serves.

Biggest change we could possibly see is a redesign of the cast, since Sonic's about overdue for a redesign. An actual redesign, not longer quills or slightly altered proportions.

Which isn't too crazy an idea given Boom's silhouettes assuming they have any bearing on the game models.

Also first game coming to all the main consoles since Unleashed, woah, it's been a while.

Generations was pretty close barring the Wii, but I guess that's also because it was an ambitious project. That this game is going to be multiplat leaves me to think this will be another ambitious game like Unleashed and Generations, so I'm somewhat hopeful.

Closest thing we had to that was '06. And how well did that go?

So help me God if its a WiiUleashed.

What Discoid explained is fairly niche for this board because SSMB is not Retro; we're not nearly as technically-oriented, so any explanation on these types of concepts, as well as any debate therein, is perfectly welcome for the layman to read, especially if it's done in as thorough and respectful a manner as what has been going on here. Overall, there's no reason to be so confrontational over something so benign. Calm your tits. xP

Fair enough. I guess having come from a place as anti Nintendo xenophobic as SEGA Forums has made me raise my eyebrows whenever the Wii U specs are brought up considering how pretty much every time it's been used as a poor man's excuse to diss the Wii U. I'm glad to see that wasn't the intent this time.

• Thumbs Up 1