Awoo.

Sonic Runn..er wait... "SSMB YOU CREATED A TIME PARADOX!"

Badnik Mechanic

Yeah Discoid has something right. 

2016 needs to be big.

2016 needs Big.

pdNlGxU.png

(I was bored)

But to be honest, at this rate, I'm all for Sonic Adventure 3 as long as the story holds up for longer than 10 years, and as long as there's not too much gimmick based gameplay!

• Thumbs Up 6

It has been a while since Generations but, seeing as that team is "the most important one" surely they'd be responsible for the 2016 game? Sonic Anniv games are always a big deal is all, and I don't think they're gonna release two games two years in a row, that sounds bad. So the next game prolly won't be "Sonic Team A" unless the Anniversary game is going to be from someone else.

Maybe they'll just release it in late 2015 and just call it close enough to 2016? tongue.png

Still I guess this could happen considering Sonic 06 practically launched in 2007.

Like if a game that bad can get away with not releasing near enough to the right date, I'm sure a good game can lol.

• Thumbs Up 1

I would be up for a Sonic Adventure 3 as well....but I don't know if Sonic Team could do it sad.png. The biggest flaw of the original Adventure games was Sonic's friends having completely different gameplay than him and just making them play like him but with unique abilities would defeat the purpose of the Adventure name (as it means having different gameplay per character with a hub world, chao garden and fun mutiplayer).

I love both Adventures, but I would admit that both are servearly flawed gems and I can't see Sonic Team being able to fix them sad.png. Besides, they just made another formula with Lost World and if Unleashed is any indication, they stick with that formula till its polished to greatness, so I expect the next Sonic to heavly use the parkor machanics in greater effect alongside other playable characters (its about dam time Sonic Team...) to be the highlights for the next game smile.png.

I dunno, I don't think it'll be a racer, things like mario kart are generally a once per generation deal, not every two years, it gives it enough time for people to want it but it also isn't too soon so that it feels to soon after the next game. I can't imagine another racing game doing all that well. Transformed was good because it added new mechanics and improved upon the original in pretty much every way but there isn't a lot more to add, mechanics wise, to a racing game I don't think (I could be wrong) and they can't really do zero gravity racing as that is now MK8's gimmick.

Quick research shows Mario Kart to have installments about every two years, though it rotates between console, handheld, and arcade. So indeed, a once a generation approach might not be a bad idea.

Perhaps Sumo could consider releasing a racer, a party game, and a fighting game in regular intervals...?

I'm not sure why everyone thinks the 2015 title will be a Sumo one.. I suppose it makes sense, since inevitably they'll want the 2016 title to be an Anniversary title, but..?

Never mind Sumo's last two games were better than a lot of the main games in terms of reviews so it makes sense that SEGA will contract them for more Sonic work. I don't think SEGA/Sumo can milk Transformed forever... which means it's time for a new game altogether.

Let's also drop the bombshell here. Releasing a game in 2015 allows SEGA and co. to decide whether or not they should use the Boom designs or SEGA designs.

Though as has been mentioned, there's not really much to improve on for Transformed, and the only real excuse to make a new racer is because of the PS4 and XBO. Otherwise it would be a better idea to try a different genre of game. I know that talk of a fighting game was probably just thrown out there for fun at Sonic Boom 2012, but I wouldn't mind that to be real, and it would also branch Sonic into another genre. Fighter or racer, a 2015 game avoids conflict with Nintendo's own signature franchises in each genre.

...watch the Sumo game be a soccer one. Grumble.

But you keep forgetting Sega of Japan has almost NO involvement in the SUMO games. You think most of the money earned in these western games go to Japan?

SoJ would want to release a Sonic game soon for money. Sonic Team has 2 teams, you can't expect all of them to release nothing for 3 years. They release a Sonic game every 1-2 years, if ST is releasing nothing this year then I expect a Sonic Team game next year.

If SUMO is going to develop a Sonic/Sega game, it would have to be this year or release their game the same year as Sonic Team's. Or, 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sonic Team's gotta be churning something for 2015. To think they're just gonna sit around until 2016 with nothing doesn't make much of any sense, unless you really think the All-Stars series is that important to Sega of Japan (I'm sure they appreciate it and all for using their IPs well, but that means nothing towards their productivity).

I think it's fair to assume that Sonic Team A (Unleashed/Generations folk) have been working on the 2015 Sonic since Generations production ended. Development from early 2012 to 2014 is already a solid 3 years of development, 2015 makes for a fourth year and Sonic Team B (Colors and Lost World folk) will most likely merge with them again due to workload being minimalized (all thanks to BRB Studios), just in time for fine-tuning and extra additions in the home stretch.

I assume that mostly because it seems the story of Colors and Generations was this, but in reverse. Generations was initially a full project much like Unleashed until compatibility issues with the Wii happened, causing them to split into two teams halfway through Generations development so they could make a full game to compensate for the Wii's loss of the anniversary game: Sonic Colors. This explains the lack of content and more underwhelming stories in both games, due to both's time constraints and team downsizing.

So what are Dimps up to in all this?  The 2015 game wasn't listed as coming out for the 3DS.  Will Dimps be downscaling a future Sonic Team game regardless, have they been shown the door, or could they even be back to doing independent entries in the series?

• Thumbs Up 1

Sonic Team's gotta be churning something for 2015. To assume they're just gonna sit around until 2016 with nothing doesn't make much of any sense, unless you really think the All-Stars series is that important to Sega of Japan (I'm sure they appreciate it and all for using their IPs well, but that means nothing towards their productivity).

I think it's fair to assume that Sonic Team A (Unleashed/Generations folk) have been working on the 2015 Sonic since Generations production ended. Development from early 2012 to 2014 is already a solid 3 years of development, 2015 makes for a fourth year and Sonic Team B (Colors and Lost World folk) will most likely merge with them again due to workload being minimalized (all thanks to BRB Studios), just in time for fine-tuning and extra additions in the home stretch.

I assume that mostly because it seems the story of Colors and Generations was this, but in reverse. Generations was initially a full project much like Unleashed until compatibility issues with the Wii happened, causing them to split into two teams halfway through Generations development so they could make a full game to compensate for the Wii's loss of the anniversary game: Sonic Colors. This explains the lack of content and more underwhelming stories in both games, due to both's time constraints and team downsizing.

But what about the anniversary? Would they really just let it go by with nothing to show for it?

But what about the anniversary? Would they really just let it go by with nothing to show for it?

I dunno? Maybe Sega won't even give enough of a crap this time, considering the last time they did a mid-decade anniversary.. :v

But I'm seriously not seeing Sonic go without a game 2015. Unless they release the 2015 Sonic at the dead end of the year and then highlight it for being the launch of Sonic's 25th anniversary? I dunno. Going gameless for that long just seems very unlikely.

They were also two smaller games made by a split team. 

It could probably happen again where they still have Sonic Team divided like this, but I don't know why they would whenever they now have some sort of help in keeping the void inbetween games a bit less empty.

You know. It's not out of the question to just call the 2015 game the 25th Anniversary game. Doesn't matter if it's a year early

Does the anniversary actually matter to anyone but us? Does putting a number on the logo affect game sales in any meaningful way?

I'd rather Sonic Team just released whatever they're working on when it's ready instead of going through the logistical nightmare of splitting up their teams, rushing one thing or delaying another just to have something important-looking out in time for an arbitrary date.

Sonic Generations 2 with Classic, Modern and Boom Sonic.

Modern and Boom will play roles similar to the 10th and 11th Doctor in Day of the Doctor - bickering, arguing who's coolest etc. Classic Sonic will play a role akin to John Hurt's War Doctor - exasperated and sarcastic in his facial animations with the two Sonics, but at the same time very respectful and happy.

It'd be awesome.

• Thumbs Up 2

You know. It's not out of the question to just call the 2015 game the 25th Anniversary game. Doesn't matter if it's a year early

This was what I thought, if it was a late 2015 game. Would be a bit silly, though.

Does the anniversary actually matter to anyone but us? Does putting a number on the logo affect game sales in any meaningful way?

I'd rather Sonic Team just released whatever they're working on when it's ready instead of going through the logistical nightmare of splitting up their teams,

rushing one thing or delaying another just to have something important-looking out in time for an arbitrary date.

Eh, usually they like to highlight it. We've had big flagship games on each one since the tenth, after all.

Sonic Mega Collection 2. Please SEGA. Please.

I /really/ doubt Sega would pull a no-show on the 25th Anniversary. They always had a new game for Sonic ever since the 10th Anniversary.

I don't think a third SUMO Sega All Stars racing game coming out in 2015 is out of the question. I know the first ASR and ASRT had two year gaps between them, but going by how the entire "2014: Year of Sonic" event was focused primarily on Sonic Boom (the show and the game) coming out this year, I wouldn't put it past Sega to have Boom occupy the entire year. Sega can also commission Dimps to produce out a third Sonic 4 episode or Hardlight to release a third mobile-designed Sonic game (presumably a Sonic-themed 2D Temple Run in a 2D perspective) just to hold people over for the 25th Anniversary / 2016.

Heck, Sonic Team B was probably commissioned to produce Lost World just so Sonic Team A would have more than enough time to work on the 2016 game as well as fill in the necessary first slot of Sega's trilogy of Nintendo exclusive-Sonic games.

So what are Dimps up to in all this?  The 2015 game wasn't listed as coming out for the 3DS.  Will Dimps be downscaling a future Sonic Team game regardless, have they been shown the door, or could they even be back to doing independent entries in the series?

I wish Dimps could do the latter again, but I don't think the Dimps of today is the same one as the team who made Sonic Rush Adventure. I dunno, ever since Unwiished they suddenly lost their mojo and then started churning out average handheld ports. Can they still make a game like the Sonic Advance and Rush series?

• Thumbs Up 1

A 2014 full of Boom and 2015 being a void filled only partially with All-Stars.. just thinking of how it's only the beginning of 2014 is making me really uneasy on the concept of such a drought. LOL

At least another 2D game would be neat during that time if it wasn't by dimps.

Will probably be this year, but I imagine Sega wouldn't be beyond holding back Sonic 3K Remastered and perhaps some kind of Remastered Classic Collection for consoles till 2015 or to fill an empty gap. Perhaps as a Sonic & Knuckles anniversary thing.

This year is Heroes' 10th anniversary (Well outside of Japan, but even they just miss it by a day >_>), so we could get an HD port of that.

Now y'all have me hoping Sonic Team would make Episode III for 2015... gives them a low-intensity project to focus on so as to not clash with the 2016 date.

You think most of the money earned in these western games go to Japan?

SEGA is a Japanese company so I would assume yes. tongue.png

SoJ would want to release a Sonic game soon for money. Sonic Team has 2 teams, you can't expect all of them to release nothing for 3 years. They release a Sonic game every 1-2 years, if ST is releasing nothing this year then I expect a Sonic Team game next year.

Fair points, though. A three year time between games is unheard of.

Then again, maybe they'll surprise us. I'm hoping that if they make a game for 2015 it's something small so as to not detract from the 2016 game's development. I wouldn't be surprised if a major reason for 2006's issues was that they had that coming out just a year after Shadow's game and were stretched in terms of manpower accordingly. If they absolutely must release a 2015 game it should be something small to tide us over.

Also, if the game is short, please give us a reduced price. It's total bull that SEGA releases short games with the 50 dollar price tag while tons of other companies happily cut the price to 30.

They do generally make mention of it as a milestone and try to have something big for each one, at least since the 10th.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 years - in 2016 - is an important milestone so I'm sure SEGA will do something. I know lot of fans have said they would like a Generations 2, but I just can't see that game having the same appeal so soon after Gens in 2011. If we do get a main series game in 2015, then I can see something smaller happening for the 25th anniversary, like a HD remake of Sonic 1 perhaps. Japan released a 3DS port of Sonic 1 to celebrate the Mega drive/Genesis 25th anniversary in 2013, so who knows what we could get. 

They do generally make mention of it as a milestone and try to have something big for each one, at least since the 10th.

I'm aware. I'm wondering if there's any tangible benefit to it, any real reason to (theoretically) disrupt production schedules and go to a bunch of trouble other than because they always have. If there's no Important Game ready for 2016, who cares? It's just a number, unless the game actually has something to do with the anniversary like Generations did. There's always merchandise to put the special 25th logo on.

The 25th anniversary is also known as the silver anniversary. Does this remind anyone of someone?

That's right, I say we will be getting a game focusing on everybody's favorite hedgehog, Silver! You heard it here first, folks.