Awoo.

Hyrule Warriors (Legend of Zelda and the Dynasty Warriors sittin' in a tree! K-I-S-S-I-N-G!)

YoshiUnity

How are they going to tell the story if there is no voice acting? Unless they tell everything in text form between the battles, usually warriors games have alot of dialogue that takes place during the battles as well to announce what is going on during the battle when new situations arise or when characters are talking with each other. That also brings about the confusion on if Link would be given a voice or if everyone around him could talk and he couldn't? Warriors games do usually rely on quite a bit of dialogue to tell the story of the game.

It's honestly unlikely to have any spoken dialog. It might be a Musou game, but it's STILL a Zelda game.

This exactly.

Just because Dynasty Warriors uses voice commands to help determine what you need to do on the battlefield doesn't mean they can't find a way to get it working in a Zelda type of scenario without voice acting. Just have a brief popup that notifies you of your next objective. It doesn't need to get in the way of the combat at all.

The games already typically do popups that say what you're supposed to do, and it's marked on the map anyway. Really, the voice acting is just for flair rather than an actual essential part of the in-game battles.

If we want to see how Hyrule Warriors may be handled, we could always take a look at the other major warriors crossover, Gundam Warriors, anyone here ever play that one? in regards to respect of the mythos/legacy characters I mean, of course Nintendo has to let them first, but I think you guys get the idea

This exactly.

Just because Dynasty Warriors uses voice commands to help determine what you need to do on the battlefield doesn't mean they can't find a way to get it working in a Zelda type of scenario without voice acting. Just have a brief popup that notifies you of your next objective. It doesn't need to get in the way of the combat at all.

I don't particularly care one way or the other RE: voice acting in Zelda, but that sounds kind of "ew". I suppose it depends on the size of the popout and how long it stays up...but even with that issue aside, I think it'd be more convenient overall if voice acting was a thing. I personally don't think "but it's Zelda" justifies it since it is a spin-off. Spin-offs do stuff that makes them unique from the mainline all the time.

The game may do silent popups all the time, but if the game wants any sort of depth other than run here and kill this and run there and kill this, it needs a deep story behind it. So many people always are complaining about warriors games being boring, which I don't find them to be, so if you cut the story or make it just be all text, it is going to be super simple and be nothing but grunts, yahs, and text. Sounds like a bit of a minus in the sounds department there.

• Thumbs Up 2

It's just the way is done, the most spoken dialoge in a Zelda game was probably "HEY Listen!"

They don't like giving Iink dialoge so it's easier to "become link"

The game may do silent popups all the time, but if the game wants any sort of depth other than run here and kill this and run there and kill this, it needs a deep story behind it. So many people always are complaining about warriors games being boring, which I don't find them to be, so if you cut the story or make it just be all text, it is going to be super simple and be nothing but grunts, yahs, and text. Sounds like a bit of a minus in the sounds department there.

So a game NEEDS voice acting to have a deep story? Where were you when other Zelda games handled it just fine without voice acting, especially Majora's Mask? How about all the old RPGs that have zero voice acting and manage to tell exponentially better stories than the schlock today?

• Thumbs Up 4

Just an FYI every Dynasty Warriors game released in the west ever has been dubbed, (w/the exception of online and the first game on ps1), only warriors orochi 3 was subbed. My friend is a MASSIVE warriors fan he's bought every Dynasty Warriors Game, every Warriors Orochi game, the first 2 Samarai Warriors games, and the first 2 Gundam games, oh and fist of the north Star. As for Samarai Warriors, only chcronicles on the 3ds and katana on wii were subbed.

I just realized I might have g me off as a bit of a smart speck sorry about that.

• Thumbs Up 1

So a game NEEDS voice acting to have a deep story? Where were you when other Zelda games handled it just fine without voice acting, especially Majora's Mask? How about all the old RPGs that have zero voice acting and manage to tell exponentially better stories than the schlock today?

This exactly. Games can have an amazing story without voice acting.

Right now I'm playing through a game called Radiant Historia. Its a Nintendo DS RPG and it has an amazing storyline. Nintendo DS can support voice acting just fine, but this game has no voice acting whatsoever. I'm still really getting into its story, though.

Lufia I-II and many of the early Final Fantasy games have great stories, as well (yeah they have a few fetch quests here and there), but not a shred of voice acting anywhere.

In fact, in many games voice acting is seen as a detractor rather than a benefit. Voice acting can be nice, but that's only if done right, and its very easy to do the voice acting horribly wrong.

One thing you're all forgetting - in every Zelda game (and RPGs period for that matter, as long as it's been brought up), nearly every piece of dialogue pauses the game, so there's no pressure in reading and taking it all in. In a Warriors game, you're almost always fighting through all the dialogue unless it's a cutscene or introduction/defeat of a major character. Ordinarily you'd have to double time it and somehow catch a good glimpse of the dialogue whilst simultaneously cutting the shit out of things and making sure nobody around you is winding up for an attack - the reason Warriors voices these lines is so you don't have to take your eyes off centre stage to know what the fuck is going on.

I mean, far be it from me to rain on the parade of purists when we're talking spinoffs, but there are very practical reason to voice act this shit. It's not like anyone's bringing up the possibility just for the sake of being confrontational.

• Thumbs Up 4

You could always translate different voice commands to Link's different shouts.

"Hyaaah!" can mean "fall back"

"Tuk!" could mean "strike forward and hard!"

"Shyaaaat" could mean "dodge"

and "Uwwaaaaaa" could be "Wii U sales are climbing!"

• Thumbs Up 7

Yeah and if anything link wouldn't be voiced but everyone else probably would be in the scenario that we do get voice acting.

In fact, in many games voice acting is seen as a detractor rather than a benefit. Voice acting can be nice, but that's only if done right, and its very easy to do the voice acting horribly wrong.

And boy, oh boy, did Dynasty Warriors get it wrong for the longest time. Only now do they have SOMEWHAT competent voice acting.

One thing you're all forgetting - in every Zelda game (and RPGs period for that matter, as long as it's been brought up), nearly every piece of dialogue pauses the game, so there's no pressure in reading and taking it all in. In a Warriors game, you're almost always fighting through all the dialogue unless it's a cutscene or introduction/defeat of a major character. Ordinarily you'd have to double time it and somehow catch a good glimpse of the dialogue whilst simultaneously cutting the shit out of things and making sure nobody around you is winding up for an attack - the reason Warriors voices these lines is so you don't have to take your eyes off centre stage to know what the fuck is going on.

I mean, far be it from me to rain on the parade of purists when we're talking spinoffs, but there are very practical reason to voice act this shit. It's not like anyone's bringing up the possibility just for the sake of being confrontational.

Have you not played the Pirate Warriors series or Warriors Orochi 3? They're completely untranslated, so the voice acting is useless, and plenty of people played them just fine. Seriously, I don't get any of the arguing that voice acting is essential. Shit man, you can play a Warriors game through with entirely Japanese text even, because it points out exactly what you have to do quite clearly on a mini-map. The only time you need to be totally focused on front is when you're actually fighting a general.

The thing which makes the text boxes tolerable in Zelda games is because Nintendo knew where to put the long ones, and where to keep the short ones. How many to use, and how many not to. The only recent Zelda game which really failed in that regard was Skyward Sword, because the dialogue was used to interupt action so many times that it created a disjointed experience with the story.

If Warriors was to not have voice acting, it would have to have it at choice moments where the action is minimal. On the offhand it could have it in big action scenes, but the dialogue would have to be more spread out and short. 

All the same, if the games had voice acting, my only hope is that Link doesn't talk. He's the only one that doesn't need to talk.

I've played Warriors Orochi three and believe me, I can handle it, but it is a real pain to have to read the text and fight at the same time. Since I dont understand japanese, I have to look down and read what they are saying as I'm running around. Sure, I'm someone used to doing this, but it is still a bit of a pain to have to read the long textbox's while I'm in the middle of fighting. Most of the nonvoiced stuff in warriors games simply state your objective and that's fine. I can handle things saying so and so just got defeated or you need to go here before a certain person arrives and such.

I'm not saying Link has to talk, but everyone else talking would be dang useful in the game. The more text you have to read while fighting, the more distracting it is. The whole point of the warriors games is that half the story takes place between the battles an the rest during the battles. Since, people can end up dying during the battles or major battle or story turning things can happen during the game. Though of course, if it is super important, it interrupts the game and plays a cutscene instead.

• Thumbs Up 2

I got an idea regarding the voice acting. Just hire the Phillips CDI crew to voice everyone. It'd sure be a familiar voiceover for everyone.

I really hate my ears and want to torture them.

• Thumbs Up 1

You could always translate different voice commands to Link's different shouts.

"Hyaaah!" can mean "fall back"

"Tuk!" could mean "strike forward and hard!"

"Shyaaaat" could mean "dodge"

and "Uwwaaaaaa" could be "Wii U sales are climbing!"

No that sounds really stupid.

Like do you want people to think Link is mentally stunted? Him screeching out gibberish while everyone around him speaks the language of freedom would sound so dumb. There's nothing wrong with Link saying short phrases. It's not the end of the world.

"Come on!"

Like do you want people to think Link is mentally stunted? Him screeching out gibberish while everyone around him speaks the language of freedom would sound so dumb. There's nothing wrong with Link saying short phrases. It's not the end of the world.

"Come on!"

That would require voice work though. That kind of shit costs money. More money than having some guy scream his lungs out.

6060-yes.gif

Because I was absolutely being serious.

Yah.

• Thumbs Up 8

6060-yes.gif

Because I was absolutely being serious.

Yah.

I'm sorry I didn't know you were speaking the universally accepted language of internet sarcasm. If I don't find something funny I usually take it at face-value. Some people really don't like Link talking for some reason.

Just kidding you are hilarious Indigo.

/s

jk

I need a drink

<3

I think what you meant to say was "Hyaaah!" 

Have you not played the Pirate Warriors series or Warriors Orochi 3? They're completely untranslated, so the voice acting is useless, and plenty of people played them just fine. Seriously, I don't get any of the arguing that voice acting is essential.

Don't you put words in my mouth like that. I was only arguing that it's a convenience, not a necessity. The worst case scenario is that you miss out on some narrative context - it's not the end of the world, but having it in earshot is a nice bonus.

I'm sorry I didn't know you were speaking the universally accepted language of internet sarcasm. If I don't find something funny I usually take it at face-value. Some people really don't like Link talking for some reason.

Just kidding you are hilarious Indigo.

/s

jk

People don't link Link talking because he's an analog for the player. There's no reason for him to talk, and having him do so would more than likely sully the game series for a lot of people. Other people can talk, but Link should never talk. It's like how Samus was mostly contained to a few journal entries and then she talked in Other:M, and it was absolutely terrible because what came out of her mouth did not fit what people had established in their own heads for her, due to her being mute for so long.