Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

It I wasn't such a pirate, I might buy this....I still might honestly along with the TTGL set.

The $500 set? That was total overkill. Pretty sure it's sold out to. Gurren Lagann is probably my favorite anime series (and in general) and I just couldn't even imagine wanting to buy it.

UK publishers to the rescue again tho

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gurren-Lagann-Ultimate-Edition-Blu-Ray/dp/B00HSHDGHW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401336084&sr=8-1&keywords=gurren+lagann

$180 for the Ultimate Box and $90 for the standard set.

How many years after the original release though? Seriously I don't think I could wait like, 3-4 years until some other publisher gets it...

How many years after the original release though? Seriously I don't think I could wait like, 3-4 years until some other publisher gets it...

Hm. Well I'm not talking a MAJOR decrease in price, since it's Aniplex we're talking about, but it only takes a few months for a standard Blu-ray to start getting good deals. And I may have been exaggerating a bit, but saving $10 on each volume adds up.

For example: Soul Eater - http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Eater-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B008YRL7JO/ref=pd_cp_mov_2

Amazon started selling it for $50, but after resellers started getting their hands on it the prices got as good as $25. Just after a few months.

Not sure if Amazon is going to stock this Aniplex release tho, if Aniplex is the only source to get it from the price will never drop.

Hm. Well I'm not talking a MAJOR decrease in price, since it's Aniplex we're talking about, but it only takes a few months for a standard Blu-ray to start getting good deals. And I may have been exaggerating a bit, but saving $10 on each volume adds up.

For example: Soul Eater - http://www.amazon.com/Soul-Eater-Complete-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B008YRL7JO/ref=pd_cp_mov_2

Amazon started selling it for $50, but after resellers started getting their hands on it the prices got as good as $25. Just after a few months.

Not sure if Amazon is going to stock this Aniplex release tho, if Aniplex is the only source to get it from the price will never drop.

I've never seen Amazon stock Aniplex shows that were sold by Aniplex. If they do its from Anime Cornerstore and they might jack the price up if their stock is low. Rightstuf is usually good  but I think they are strictly set to ani's pricing.

I'm gonna try and keep my eye out for any discounts on RightStuf, since that's where I typically buy my anime.

I've never seen Amazon stock Aniplex shows that were sold by Aniplex. If they do its from Anime Cornerstore and they might jack the price up if their stock is low. Rightstuf is usually good  but I think they are strictly set to ani's pricing.

Yeah, looked around. Lowest price you can get Bakemonogatari, for example, is at Aniplex's $149.

This getting a standard release gives me hope though.

And yeah Rightstuf is great for deals and prices in general

Dub sounds decent. Ive learned that Americans can never stand up to the quality and voice ranges Japanese VAs can do. *yea i like most subs more* but overall its nice. I hope blu-ray has sub track option as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

I get to hear Jin as Senketsu, Kagura as Uzu and Ragna and Gamagoori for an entire season?
FUCK YEAH COUNT ME IN

Fuck sake I can't even order from Aniplex even if I wanted to because "Murrica only" bull shit. I've got no option but to wait for someone else to pick them up now, that and there's no region specification on what they are.

Ive learned that Americans can never stand up to the quality and voice ranges Japanese VAs can do.

Excuse me? From what selective subject matter is this decisive opinion built upon?

• Thumbs Up 4

Excuse me? From what selective subject matter is this decisive opinion built upon?

Well I think (and hope) he meant strictly in the realm of anime. Japanese anime is huge, so they can use professional seiyū which are usually highly talented. English dubs are much more constrained money-wise so they can't afford big name/professional actors and usually use the same group, so English VAs can fall flat alot more often.

Unless he means voice acting in general, which is bullshit because American voice actors can be just as talented as seiyū.

English dubs are much more constrained money-wise so they can't afford big name/professional actors and usually use the same group, so English VAs can fall flat alot more often.

Uh, define "big name/professional" here.

• Thumbs Up 1

Uh, define "big name/professional" here.

The guys who have a big fat portfolio, usually. Like Billy West, Robin Williams, etc.

Aniplex actually uses good guys though, as does Funimation a lot of the time. So, there isn't really much to complain about in this thread I would say.

Sorry, but I'm not seeing it. It's rather dubious unfortunately. And for that matter, it seems a bit close-minded. Do we have per say, an official spectrum to go off of.

The guys who have a big fat portfolio, usually. Like Billy West, Robin Williams, etc.

Aniplex actually uses good guys though, as does Funimation a lot of the time. So, there isn't really much to complain about in this thread I would say.

So, like, people Disney would get for their Ghibli dubs?

Certain types of characters don't translate well I've found, that sort of throaty shout speak Gamagori does doesn't really have an analog in english.

On the other hand, I feel like certain of characters get a sort of vocal typecasting in Japan.  For example, virtually every talking cat type person I've ever heard in Japanese has always had basically the same voice, Bills from BDZ, Jubei from Blazblue, even the Khajiit from the Japanese Skyrim dub all sound pretty much identical.  

You guys sure are being kind of offensive about someone's opinions on dubbing. :/

It's the truth though, anime dubbing is still a pretty niche thing, so it's not like they have tons of money to throw at big-name actors to do high quality stuff. It's the reason a lot of the time you hear the same VAs in a lot of different dubs, because they probably do good dub work for whatever amount of money they get from it. It's also why you see the typical Funimation or Aniplex doing the good dubs because they can most likely pay a decent amount for better actors.

At any rate hopefully I can hear Kill La Kill's dub sometime soon. I'd like to see if an English cast can match the over-the-top outrageous Japanese dub.

• Thumbs Up 1

Look, I was just asking for some clarification, and I got it, so I pissed off.

• Thumbs Up 1

You guys sure are being kind of offensive about someone's opinions on dubbing. :/

Now if only if it had actually been presented as an actual opinion, instead of a weaboo statement by the speaker in the first place. Then we wouldn't have had this problem.

If it really is supposed to be presented as such, then it's poor wording on his part.

It's the truth though, anime dubbing is still a pretty niche thing, so it's not like they have tons of money to throw at big-name actors to do high quality stuff. It's the reason a lot of the time you hear the same VAs in a lot of different dubs, because they probably do good dub work for whatever amount of money they get from it. It's also why you see the typical Funimation or Aniplex doing the good dubs because they can most likely pay a decent amount for better actors.

At any rate hopefully I can hear Kill La Kill's dub sometime soon. I'd like to see if an English cast can match the over-the-top outrageous Japanese dub.

So basically what I already said.

Well he worded it so it sounded like he was talking about English voice acting in general. Of course, there is the context of the thread, but it still was an ambiguous statement