Awoo.

Kill La Kill

Remy

Who the hell cares, I just want my show with naked girls D:

...I want me some Nonon <3, why can't there be more Nonon merchandise.

• Thumbs Up 3

So eventually I was able to download those dub episodes, good stuff.

I was a little surprised to see how well Mako's rants turned out.

A similar thing happened when TTGL was dubbed and it went with Giga Drill Break rather than the popular translation, Giga Drill Breaker and the latter was mostly based on how the Japanese pronounced the move.

Maybe it's because I watched the Gurren Lagann dub first, but I always thought "Break" wasn't really awkward sounding, as compared to "Senkets" and "Junkets" which I think sound awkward. 

Hey hi Hello, sorta not back but I feel I must chime in and set things straight about pronunciation of names translating from Japanese to English spoken tongue.

Names like Senketsu, Junketsu, and Mankanshoku are actually being pronounced closer to properly than they would be if the u’s were being voiced.  This is because Japanese often dumps u’s, especially at the ends of words or in un-stressed syllables.

As evidence, let’s look at the Japanese 101 verb for “to be” or “is”: “です” which is romanized as “desu.” 

"Desu" is not pronounced “day-soo,” as one might expect it to be based on our understanding of how Japanese does vowels (“u” is typically “oo” like in “Joonketsu”).  Actually, “desu” is pronounced “deys,” like the English word “day,” with an “s” tacked onto the end.

Sometimes u’s in the middle are dropped too, like “Satsuki” being pronounced more like”Saht-ski” rather than “Sah-tsoo-key.”  That’s because the emphasis is on the syllable “Sa,” not on “tsu.”  Junketsu keeps its first “u” because the emphasized syllable is “Ju.”

In the original Japanese voicing, words like “Senketsu” would have the ending “u” voiced, but very subtly.  If you go back and listen, you’ll hear it sounds more like “Senketsuh” where the “uh” is a trailing off bit of exhalation.  It’s not “Senketsoo” like a lot of English-speakers were probably anticipating.

Probably, the biggest reason why this is an issue is that it sounds fine in Japanese, but trying to do it with English VAs, who cut-off rather than breathe-out the ending of these words, makes it sound silly. 

So, they’re not doing it wrong, per-se; the way the VAs are doing it just sounds weird to us English speakers. 

TL;DR Senkets and Junkets are the proper way to pronounce the Kamui.

Satski is how you're supposed to say Sat-su-ki 

Tsumugu is pronounced T-SOO-MOOG and so on and so forth, it just looks weird to us because we're used to the Japanese spoken language being longer in pronunciation than English spoken language who use far less syllables in our spoken language which is the equivalent of us dropping a breath than rather continuing to pronounce the names like the Japanese do. 

• Thumbs Up 6

Localization isn't about being faithful to customs, it's about making it feel more natural to english viewers.

Regardless, what Soniko says is correct.

Anyone know when Volume 2 will release? Man this is so long. 4 episodes per volume and there are 24 episodes if I recall...lol this is gonna take a while.

Probably in a couple of months, I'm wondering if Aniplex are going to release the final volume in time with the original Japanese releases? Although during the dub reveal, Aniplex said they had no plans for the OVA/Episode 25.

Speaking of Episode 25/OVA...

tumblr_n8i18t94Dq1sqqtwzo1_1280.jpg

Anyone know when Volume 2 will release? Man this is so long. 4 episodes per volume and there are 24 episodes if I recall...lol this is gonna take a while.

I give them 2-3 months.

I give them 2-3 months.

Actually I give them a year, took Aniplex 5 months to completely release Madoka.

Also finally saw the dub, I think they did a wonderful job on it.

tumblr_n8i18t94Dq1sqqtwzo1_1280.jpg

That's neato. I wonder what the OVA's plot will be about since they don't have any other Kamui or Goku uniform... or do they? not that you really need a plot when you got semi-nude girls fighting, still...

Ryuko and Mako are graduating, and it reveals why Satsuki cut her hair. So it's more or less just tying up any loose-ends and giving some type of closure to the series proper.

And a random thought, that poster makes it seem like Satsuki has a goatee....that is oddly amusing.

so...

perhaps the most important thing that TRIGGER told us at the kill la kill anime expo panel today: the question “was there ever any plan for the school to turn into a giant robot?” was asked. TRIGGER responded: “please look forward to episode 25. that will answer your question.”

Honnouji giant robot confirmed?

• Thumbs Up 4

Yeah I checked out the link it's only 1-4, since that's all that's out right now. 

• 11 months later...

Blooper Reel from the English dub, shown off at AX 2015.

Why wasn't this included as extras in the release?

• Thumbs Up 3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fd4UFoODdo

Bang Zoom makes the best blooper reels. 1:28 was hysterical.

Was it not in the final one? That's really dumb.

Also I would recommend downloading this video off Youtube, there's the possibility Aniplex could snipe it off of Youtube due to it being a panel exclusive. Happened to Gurren Lagann.

EDIT: Never mind, this appears to be an unlisted upload, different from the public one I was originally linked by someone else. 

RIP in peace, my sides

55134.png

• Thumbs Up 1