Awoo.

Team Fortress 2

Urtheart

I can't run Half-Life Sourse, so I can't really be sure. And then there's the fact that if it DOESN'T work, i'll be royally screwed for money.

Can't run source? no TF2 unless you really gimp the graphics with some hax.

oh well! Lesson for the day: get a better PC. :P

I had the shittiest PC ever until the second half of 2008 and still could play TF2. At a bare minimum with glitched water, but I refuse to believe you've got anything worse than my old Radeon 9200 D:

Hmm, I'm interested in getting this game now. This one is part of the Orange Box right, which is a compilation including the HIGHLY praised Portal? If so, that's good! I wanted to check out Portal too. X3

Oh but here's my question. Do you have to know about TF1 to play this sequel? :0

No, they're self contained multiplayer-only games with no storyline whatsoever.

Also the first TF looks terrible and generic and lacks the charm that has been given to TF2 characters, I'd not touch it with a 3.04-meters pole.

No, they're self contained multiplayer-only games with no storyline whatsoever.

Also the first TF looks terrible and generic and lacks the charm that has been given to TF2 characters, I'd not touch it with a 3.04-meters pole.

Lawl. XD Thanks anyway! I'll look into this~ ^^

• 1 month later...

Hmm, I'm interested in getting this game now. This one is part of the Orange Box right, which is a compilation including the HIGHLY praised Portal? If so, that's good! I wanted to check out Portal too. X3

If you buy the Orange Box for Portal (which isn't that fun anyway) don't even bother playing Team Fortress 2; the PC version of TF2 is currently the only version that's been updated since launch and as such has all the bugfixes and tweaks. The 360 version is a jumbled mess of unfinished business.

With the second day, the King of the Hill gamemode has become official (and was early adopted by some gaming communities too, search ingame for a server and try it out!). Some of the fans have also uncovered the code for the new hats.

"TF_Engineer_Cowboy_Hat" "Texas Ten Gallon"

"TF_Engineer_Train_Hat" "Engineer's Cap"

"TF_Heavy_Ushanka_Hat" "Officer's Ushanka"

"TF_Heavy_Stocking_cap" "Tough Guy's Tuque"

"TF_Soldier_Pot_Hat" "Stainless Pot"

"TF_Soldier_Viking_Hat" "Tyrant's Helm"

"TF_Demo_Scott_Hat" "Glengarry Bonnet"

"TF_Medic_Tyrolean_Hat" "Vintage Tyrolean"

"TF_Pyro_Chicken_Hat" "Respectless Rubber Glove"

"TF_Spy_Camera_Beard" "Camera Beard"

"TF_Medic_Mirror_Hat" "Otolaryngologist's Mirror"

"TF_Pyro_Fireman_Helmet" "Brigade Helm"

"TF_Scout_Bonk_Helmet" "Bonk Helm"

"TF_Scout_Newsboy_Cap" "Ye Olde Baker Boy"

"TF_Spy_Derby_Hat" "Backbiter's Billycock"

"TF_Sniper_Straw_Hat" "Professional's Panama"

"TF_Sniper_Jarate_Headband" "Master's Yellow Belt"

"TF_Hatless_Scout" "Baseball Bill's Sports Shine"

"TF_Hatless_Sniper" "Ritzy Rick's Hair Fixative"

"TF_Hatless_Engineer" "Texas Slim's Dome Shine"

"TF_Demo_Top_Hat" "Scottsman's Stove Pipe"

I'm thinking the pyro's "rubber glove" hat looks like this:

355.jpg

Edit: I've bolded the more interesting hats. Remember, the 'Camera Beard' for the spy appeared here.

Update is out and all that. There's some medals going around as well, or were some medals, rather. The new KotH game mode is pretty nifty, despite some glitches that Valve seemed to have missed somehow (such as the Announcer repeating OVERTIME about fifty times near the end of the match.)

I'm having a bit of an issue with my game though, have been for the past week or so. If anyone can give me any advice on how to fix it I'd be extremely grateful. I'm just playing a match, when suddenly everything freezes and the game begins stuttering. It's like I'm stuck in lag or something, but then, this happens...

what.png

TF2Spazz.png

TF2Spazz2.png

The whole screen becomes garbled and certain game files seem to replace other game files... After two minutes or so, this usually stops and the game goes back to normal. It's really annoying and just seems to happen randomly!

I un-installed my game and installed it back again yesterday but it didn't help. Defragmented my cache files, but that didn't help either. Lost with what to do with it really. =/

There's some medals going around as well, or were some medals, rather.

It's bad enough I can't find any fucking hats, now they're flaunting this shit in my face. Update the system Valve or just stop with the goodies, it's getting annoying. I play TF2 more than a hundred hours a week and I receive less (read: none) of these goodies than the casual players. Seriously, what's wrong with this picture? :<

As far as the issue goes it sounds like a problem with your graphics hardware or memory because a fresh install should've fixed it. Have you tried submitting a customer service ticket?

It's bad enough I can't find any fucking hats, now they're flaunting this shit in my face.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, though play no-where near as often. No hats, no medal, no good weapon drops (I have three bloody Natasha's.) I can sort of understand why they're doing this if they bring that 'item trading system' into play, isn't it supposed to be in the next update or something? A lot of people on the Steam forums were complaining that the people actually playing the game didn't get a medal, but the people trolling the forums did. I think they should've given 11,111 medals away in-game from the press of a button, awarding one to each soldier who kills a Heavy in their previous life until they run out.

If I get any spare hats during my time playing they'll come straight to you Chris, if this trading thing is released.

As far as the issue goes it sounds like a problem with your graphics hardware or memory because a fresh install should've fixed it. Have you tried submitting a customer service ticket?

As for this, I'm being told a bunch of things. Try re-installing HL2. Try opening the game up in Direct X 8.1. Your graphics card is over-heating, a bunch of stuff. I haven't sent a customer service ticket though, didn't even know they existed. Will get round to trying it all at some point.

I managed to find out about the medal thing before it was too late. I got mine just a little while ago.

maggotmedal.jpg

As far as hats go, I play pretty frequently and have gotten three. I agree though, the system needs re-working. It was pure dumb luck. There should at least be ways to increase your chances of getting one.

ALSO: The new loss animations are absolutely hilarious.

scout.gif

Edited by The Soldier

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, though play no-where near as often. No hats, no medal, no good weapon drops (I have three bloody Natasha's.)

I've had at least ten of every unlockable thus far that isn't worn on one's head. The funny thing is that my second Steam account that I generally run on my laptop found a hat (the batter's helmet) within the first two hours of idling. It needs to be reworked to be exponentially generous with the more regular or hardcore players than the casual ones. :\

I can sort of understand why they're doing this if they bring that 'item trading system' into play, isn't it supposed to be in the next update or something?

The next update is the Soldier update, and it's said to be included.

A lot of people on the Steam forums were complaining that the people actually playing the game didn't get a medal, but the people trolling the forums did. I think they should've given 11,111 medals away in-game from the press of a button, awarding one to each soldier who kills a Heavy in their previous life until they run out.

Yeah that would've been more logical; that's my complaint, infact. They're rewarding users whom aren't playing the game as opposed to the more regular users who support their games and play a fair bit - why, one commenter on Kotaku said that he applied for a medal but can't play TF2 because his ping is over 600!

If I get any spare hats during my time playing they'll come straight to you Chris, if this trading thing is released.

Thanks, haha. If I find any spares I'll do the same if you like, my second account will be idling via SourceOP for as long as it takes.

Yes, they need to re-work the hat system so that those who play it more are a lot more likely to get one. Right now, it's a little ridiculous.

-Item drops occur every ~25 minutes of uninterrupted play, and on each drop there is a 25% chance the item drop will be successful, giving you an item. This has been confirmed, the numbers are averages from raw data taken from the idler program's built-in feature that summarizes the number of idler's success rates.

-There is a .45% chance that a dropped item will be a hat.

-All hats have the same chance of dropping. Individual hats have a 0.5% chance.

Keep in mind, these numbers have gone up along with the amount of hats, but this is still a really slim chance.

Honestly, I don't know the mindset behind creating something like this. There should be a way to, I dunno, WIN the hats or something. Or maybe increase the chances of a random drop being one. What if, say, someone doing really well has the chances of receiving a random drop, as well as a hat, increased greatly?

I was playing for a good five or so hours last night. Managed to get a second Huntsman, a second Sandman and a second Blutsaugher, god damn. In three of the 5 or so servers I played in, someone managed to get 4+ unlocks in one go. One guy got 9, 8 weapons and a hat. What's going on there? A lot of other people were getting weapon drops, but hardly any hats.

I fixed my graphics problem by the way- my card was over-heating after all. Made a bit more ventilation inside my tower and it's working fine now.

What if, say, someone doing really well has the chances of receiving a random drop, as well as a hat, increased greatly?

This sounds like a great idea and should be put into play. Everyone has a chance of getting an unlock, but those higher up on the leaderboard have a greater chance of getting a hat instead of a weapon or something. I do like the random drops, it means I can keep enjoying the game as normal, knowing I have a change of receiving an unlock. At the same time though, I feel as if I'm not doing anything to earn that unlock and it is just a case of dying and hoping I get something for it. They need to tweak the system somehow, I don't think Valve know what to do themselves.

Everyone has a chance of getting an unlock, but those higher up on the leaderboard have a greater chance of getting a hat instead of a weapon or something.

Wouldn't that make people more likely to look for kills instead of fufilling the objectives?

Man, for a second there I though the Dead Ringer cloak time was meant to be shortened. I'm glad they fixed it up so fast, been playing spy a lot as of late (I think I'm becoming decent with that class) and I can't work properly without that clock.

Yeah, that's true too. The points aren't directly indicative of skill, and much less so usefulness.

Then what if the chances of getting a hat increased for those who were fulfilling the objectives? If you pushed the Payload cart a fair distance during your last life, your chances of a drop being a hat go up. If you cap the intel, they go up. You get the idea.

And the base chance should also increase for everyone who already has all of the weapons. Speaking of which, you should also be able to automatically discard duplicates of your items...Unless it's a duplicate of a hat, because they're exceptionally rare and the only thing likely to be useful for trading.

Edited by The Soldier

So hey, anyone else notice that rocket jumping is was nerfed? You can't go as far as before but you take much less damage. Also, the Scout has a crazy vertical jump now with the new FoN mechanics. You have to do a get your momentum to match the FoN and you can easily make that drop from the top floor holes on 2fort.

Also, the Natasha is trapping people much better than it used to. It won't keep people away from you but it will catch them if they try and bug out. It feels sort of like what it was in January.

Edited by Rauzaruke

So hey, anyone else notice that rocket jumping is was nerfed? You can't go as far as before but you take much less damage.

That wasn't intentional and will probably be reversed - they were repairing the Demoman's sticky jump and ended up screwing up the Soldier in the process. The game's physics engine bases how far you fly on the amount of damage you take.

Well, I thought I'd fixed the error, anyway.

WHATNOW.png

Heh, I'll take it that Soldier's not supposed to be green?

It's hard to recommend anything for that. That's one of the strangest errors I've ever seen.

Heh, I'll take it that Soldier's not supposed to be green?

It's hard to recommend anything for that. That's one of the strangest errors I've ever seen.

I believe that's what he looks like under his textures, for some reason my game decided to suddenly stop rendering them half way through a match. I have no idea either, I turned multi-core rendering off, as that's something I turned on before getting these problems. I have four cores, so I don't see what the issue is.

Still no hats. I decided seeing as though it takes no skill to get them at all, I'd try idling. 16 hours, a Sandman, a Natasha, a Bonk, a Razorback, two huntsmen and two ubersaws. Fantastic. My friend on the other hand idled for 3 hours and got the Spy's hat.