Awoo.

Team Fortress 2

Urtheart

I think the frustration is because the guy who made the idler said several times that if Valve contacted him, he'd take the program down, thus because they didn't, most people thought it was okay.

Then, after ages of being able to use it, Valve decide to crack down on it without any warning at all. I think that's why people are pissed.

Not that I care, since I play it so little, it means I might finally have a hat or two as a result of all this when I next play.

Firstly

1.) Valve may have not, initially had the ability to stop the program, hence the wait.

2.) Anyone using an external program to farm the game's item drop system should've thought they were doing something wrong. You're not playing the game as intended, and I don't think any online game ever has liked you using an external progam, you generally can expect punishment for these things. so yeah.

3.) People without halos are not being "criminalized" no way can tell whether you have a halo or not- how are they to know you cheated? You could just not be wearing a hat.

If you were forced to wear prisoner style striped pajamas then maybe. otherwise I don't see the issue. I don't even wear my cheaters lament when playing.

4.) Valve have done things like this before-> item unlocking tool usage related in you being unable to use your unlocked weapons.

5.)Why should they warn you? it's their game, you're using an external tool, it's not up to valve to say "GUYS PLZ DON'T CHEAT ANYMORE, IF YOU STOP NOW WE WILL GIVE YOU HATS" and what would that even done?

They get criminalized anyway, and anyone who didn't is now viewed as being "incorruptible" and having "taken the moral high-road"
Yea wow, talk about an exaggeration.

I kind of get what you're getting at though, but the the whole thing is too funny for me to actually care about some people losing hats (which regardless of how this is spun, this is what this is) Their response could've been far worse. All you lost was the hats gained with the program, and one other hat. Big deal.

I played a few games last night and the halo thing wasn't half as bad as I was expecting it to be. In the four servers I joined everyone was laughing about the separation of idlers and cheaters, it was quite fun. I think the whole 'No Heal Halos' or whatever is a bit silly, I mean I'm sure most of these people online don't have any idea what's going on and are just happy with their halos. One thing I do prefer with the PC version is servers like Mario_Kart. While not to everyone's taste, it's good fun to head there after a few proper games to see what's going on. I get a bit bored of playing seriously after a while, there was a big Spy Crab Party/Engie Hoe-down in one of the Mario_Kart servers last night, which was fun. XD

Something weird happened last night to my Engie though, my yellow helmet disappeared! I don't even have the 'hatless hat' thing, and yet I became bald. It was stuck like this for the entire few games I played before going to bed and their were other Engies wearing helmets so it wasn't a server thing. I've yet to try it again today, I wonder if it's still like that. =/

It's because Valve didn't act immediately and shut down the idle program like any sane company would. They instead chose to wait a number of months, then create the "Cheater's Lament" as a way of ridiculing all those who used the program, like they were people who deliberately chose to do something they all knew was wrong.

Do you work at Valve, or have an intimate knowledge of the inner workings thereof? If not, I suggest you pipe down about what Valve did. It makes you look like a twat.

A far more logical reason to assume the change, rather than being out of spite, it was more out of a change of policy.

I read somewhere, and I can't remember where so don't quote me on this, but Valve had no policy in place to deal with such a thing happening. I'm pretty sure this is the first time something of this sort has happened.

I honestly don't understand the problem. So Valve deleted the hats that you gained using a method that is now in breach of the EULA, nay, common sense. So fucking what?

You're just extremely lucky the whole lot of you didn't get VAC-banned. Then you'd have something to whine about.

Odd query and specs ain't my speciality, is a GeForce G102M 512MB Dedicated a good enough Graphics card for TF2, I think it is but I'd rather get someone who knows what they are talking about give me an answer. (This is for a mate who wants to start playing).

Is a GeForce G102M 512MB Dedicated a good enough Graphics card for TF2

Yes, It should even be able to play it all in quite good detail. (Wish mine could, stupid built in Graphics card)

You know, I really wish the hats weren't so rare. I'm fine with them being rare, but come on- a 3% chance for one ever 4.25 hours is like trying win a million dollars from a lottery ticket you that you won from a crapshoot. Considering how many hats are collectable, it should be 10-15% every hour and a half at the bare minimum. Better yet, tied to skill in some way. I know I'm like the millionth guy to rant on this, but it just seems like an artificial way to extend gameplay. Plus, that halo seems like more of a punishment than an award, especially for spies and snipers.

Edited by SuperStingray

Plus, that halo seems like more of a punishment than an award, especially for spies and snipers.

Sometimes you can see the cloaked spies with it, plus the fact that it's a fair distance above the head makes crouching behind objects less feasable (Brilliant for snipers) and the fact that, if you use it on a class where it just leaves the head when they usually have a hat, it looks quite ugly. (The Sniper really needs a hat)

Do you work at Valve, or have an intimate knowledge of the inner workings thereof? If not, I suggest you pipe down about what Valve did. It makes you look like a twat.

A far more logical reason to assume the change, rather than being out of spite, it was more out of a change of policy.

I read somewhere, and I can't remember where so don't quote me on this, but Valve had no policy in place to deal with such a thing happening. I'm pretty sure this is the first time something of this sort has happened.

Then you'd have something to whine about.

First, of all, there's no need to be so offensive. I'm not about to start insulting you, so please show me the same courtesy.

Secondly, whether Valve had policy in place or not, if they were vocal about this, then it would have stopped. All they had to do is say that it was wrong or that it should stop and the program would have been shut down immediately. My point is that they didn't even give that much in the time that the program went on.

Not that I was trying to imply that they were waiting because they wanted to be spiteful-perhaps that was poorly worded on my part. I'm sure they had their reasons on that, but they could have at least SAID something on the matter- taken a stance, even if it wasn't against any rules at the time.

And there was still a deal of effort being put into just snubbing all of the idlers. After all, they had to go and design and rig up a new model to put in the game for the most recent update. Come to think of it, they did so to make an example out of/ridicule people who made a violation of a policy, PRIOR to it being in place, which is even stranger.

I honestly don't understand the problem. So Valve deleted the hats that you gained using a method that is now in breach of the EULA, nay, common sense. So fucking what?
I agree. But as it's been stated, the hats aren't what's gotten everyone so up-in-arms.

You're just extremely lucky the whole lot of you didn't get VAC-banned.
I'd say it could've been worse, but why would they be handing out VAC bans for a problem they didn't have a policy about? Edited by The Soldier

You would not be pissed if others hadn't gotten a halo hat, i imagine. So yes, i think it is about hats.

If valve had warned you, would that have made it better once the halo hats were awarded? Would that have been cool? I really don't get this 'just tell us to stop' arguement, because even if the creator took the application down there still would've been a shitload of people with the app and i bet they would not have stopped by just being asled. There would've also been the issue of the assload of hats you farmed to deal with, too.

When you break it down, the people using this ap pretty much got away scot free- no bans! So why the whining? Aww valve were mean, big deal. This whole backlash is ridiculous, people need to stfu and play more TF2

I think people are getting upset over something that isn't THAT big a deal. They're just hats, after all. Not like anyone lost ALL of their items or got banned from Valve servers. I share my account with my brother, and I guess he's been idling because I AM missing my Heavy's KGB (he must have gotten it while idling). It's not a big deal when everything else is still there.

This whole business about weapon drops and such is reminding me of the foolishness that is high level PSO. On e you get above level 60, the whole game becomes "The quest for Red Boxes". I guess that TF 2 is still better in this regard, because you don't have anyone killing several thousand Gi Guies in hopes of getting a sealed J Sword... so it's really just the result of people putting so much importance on them. I'd rather my ability do the talking.

Not that the idlers are handling anything well themselves. I mean, look at this mod that replaces the halo:

shootme.png

And while they are the minority, I do think there are some people who are bitching about having lost hats, and that's really just sad.

Believe-it-or-not, my friend was the one who requested that mod. XD

Come to think of it, you know the guy who made Arena Watchtower? Well, he idled and lost his special Community Rocket Launcher.

Arena Watchtower fails hardcore anyway. Valve needs to actually get an eye for good maps (seriously: CP Yukon, CP Egypt, Arena Watchtower? They're all awful).

Believe-it-or-not, my friend was the one who requested that mod. XD
Heh, really now? That's funny.

Although I think its purpose seems sort of fulfilled as it is, because the hat itself seems to really grab your eye, likely because it glows. It's a bulls-eye in itself anyway. That, and it reveals cloaked spies, even ones who are disguised.

Arena Watchtower fails hardcore anyway. Valve needs to actually get an eye for good maps (seriously: CP Yukon, CP Egypt, Arena Watchtower? They're all awful).

Watchtower is decent IMO. It's about as good as any other arena map, although I'm not typically a fan of the gametype myself. It could be better, but I think Egypt is far, far worse. Yukon I can't comment on, because I hardly ever play it.

But I've seen maps like CP Boulder(I think that's what it's called) that play great and look professional. There are far better choices than the ones they've been going with.

This whole business about weapon drops and such is reminding me of the foolishness that is high level PSO. On e you get above level 60, the whole game becomes "The quest for Red Boxes". I guess that TF 2 is still better in this regard, because you don't have anyone killing several thousand Gi Guies in hopes of getting a sealed J Sword... so it's really just the result of people putting so much importance on them. I'd rather my ability do the talking.

I have Tsumikiri J-Sword in Blue Burst, hurrr.

Anyway, now that you mention it...it does resemble the ridiculous rare hunts in most online RPGs.

I think the selection process has more to do with popularity and diversity than Valve's personal views. Before Watchtower, Egypt and Yukon were each made into community maps, they were already all over the server lists, so Valve just decided it would be more convenient for the server owners if they just made them part of the default rotation. Or so I've been told.

Still, I am a fan of Watchtower for its simplicity and that it's a great map for scouts. And I love defending on Egypt. But, yeah, there are some better ones out there that I think should get on Valve's list. Off the top of my head, I remember seeing a payload map (I forget the name) where you actually have to ride a train instead of push a cart. Oh, and Balloon race should have a chance if the art and physics were improved at the very least.

I think the selection process has more to do with popularity and diversity than Valve's personal views. Before Watchtower, Egypt and Yukon were each made into community maps, they were already all over the server lists, so Valve just decided it would be more convenient for the server owners if they just made them part of the default rotation. Or so I've been told.

If I remember correctly, those maps emptied servers quicker than filling them - it's only since they've become stock maps that people actually want to play them.

Off the top of my head, I remember seeing a payload map (I forget the name) where you actually have to ride a train instead of push a cart.

PL Frontier. Try out PL Cashworks, now that needs to be official.

Last night I start up TF 2 in the first time since before the hats were added, and of course I've got the halo for every class. It must have been 30 minutes later that I find a new item. It was another halo. Is there a list of what

http://img248.imageshack.us/img248/5048/sonicmf.jpg

Server-side mod. Works for any class. ;)

Black eyes.

Edit: Just got another Natasha, though I did get the ambassador through achievements.

Edited by Phos

Last night I start up TF 2 in the first time since before the hats were added, and of course I've got the halo for every class. It must have been 30 minutes later that I find a new item. It was another halo. Is there a list of what

Black eyes.

Edit: Just got another Natasha, though I did get the ambassador through achievements.

Just yesterday I got a second Prussian Pickelhaube and Baseball Bill's Sports Shine (hatless scoot).

And did you really find a second halo? Are you sure maybe it was a glitch and you just got a message for it? Something similar happened to me with the Soldier's medal. Speaking of the medal, some people also say that they've found some of those as random drops. According to a theory, deleted medals are put into an item circulation system, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

Is the halo listed in your inventory?

What was strange about it was it didn't tell me about it until several deaths in, and it was specified as being for the scout.

And did you really find a second halo? Are you sure maybe it was a glitch and you just got a message for it? Something similar happened to me with the Soldier's medal. Speaking of the medal, some people also say that they've found some of those as random drops. According to a theory, deleted medals are put into an item circulation system, but I don't know if there's any truth to that.

That sounds like something out of Kid Radd. Here's what I think: Most of Valves's games are massively glitchy, especially when it comes to interfaces, so I'm not the least bit surprised that this kind of stuff is happening.