Awoo.

Team Fortress 2

Urtheart

Valve's games? Massively glitchy? I think you're mistaking them for Bethesda, with the exception of Steam originally.

You generally have to TRY to make glitches in valve games.

Doesn't change the fact that they're there.

That's more an example of limitations in map design rather than full on glitches. The bunnyhopping and flying have been removed from the Source engine as of Episode 1 anyway.

Ok, want something more recent? How about Portal? Or how about a few stinkers from

itself? Oh, and
Not quite as many glitches in part 2, though. Edited by Phos

Eh, I don't care. Glitches aren't necessarily a bad thing, and sometimes, it's fun to find ways to trick the game. I don't think the ones in TF2 really matter because Valve fixes them 99% of the time anyway. I will say that the Source engine definitely could use some tweaking, but it works and that's all I really care about.

Edited by SuperStingray

• 2 weeks later...

So, what does everyone think of the recent changes?

The Medic's passive health regeneration has been changed from 1 point per second to 3 points per second, but it only happens if he's using the regular Syringe gun instead of the Blutsauger. Additionally, the Blutsauger can now get random crits.

And the Sandvich changed too. It now restores full health when eaten, and can also be dropped by the Heavy(with a little plate I might add) to give to a teammate by pressing M2. It restores 50 health on them. I've saved people and been saved by it a number of times already. It's pretty useful, but it leaves the Heavy without his Sandvich until he either goes to a refill cabinet or picks up a health crate while having full health.

I rarely play Medic to begin with (I will if needs be) but I die so quickly that in the end, doesn't make enough difference to me. I like the little touch with the Sandvich, Makes the heavy a even more of a major supporter. Overall, these were good changes (For me atleast)

E: The Guard Dog Update

Look at this awesomness Followed by this awesomness

Fan made update of a 10th class (This 10th class thing has been seen around in a fw places though, L4D I belive it's shown, allong with Orange Box Juice). It's well made and looks interesting. Now, all we need to do id get them to implement it.

Edited by The Spy

Well, they actually acknowledged it, and the post indicates that they may use it. It's a pretty awesome idea, though the page itself has spelling errors, obvious photoshopping and bad JPEG compression in places.

Also, the note on the blog was hilarious, if you read only the ones that WEREN'T ticked.

I was just about to post this. Valve has a way of building hype, don't they?

EDIT: Just read the first link. My bad.

Edited by The Soldier

I rarely play Medic to begin with (I will if needs be) but I die so quickly that in the end, doesn't make enough difference to me. I like the little touch with the Sandvich, Makes the heavy a even more of a major supporter. Overall, these were good changes (For me atleast)

E: The Guard Dog Update

Look at this awesomness Followed by this awesomness

Fan made update of a 10th class (This 10th class thing has been seen around in a fw places though, L4D I belive it's shown, allong with Orange Box Juice). It's well made and looks interesting. Now, all we need to do id get them to implement it.

I like the idea but it would be a bit of a game breaker, as it would heavily unbalance things and one of the things I love about TF2 is it's a very balanced game... well as much as it can be. Still I wouldn't mind having attack dogs.

Seems like a cool concept, but I'm skeptical as to how it should be implemented; 9 classes is hard enough for Valve juggle as it is, especially considering the disagreement on how well balanced the game is and how over/underpowered some classes are. If Valve can tweak it and ensure that it can work out, I'm all for it, but I just know the steam forums will sling more shit than ever before over how unbalanced the game is now.

Edited by SuperStingray

After reading ideas from other forums and adding my own ideas, I think this would make an excellent update for the Engineer PDA. After a few tweaks, it could be quite an amazing update to offensive engineering. (lol at steam forum whiners screaming about it as if it was a real update)

My favorite idea was the tweak the dog so it follows the Engineer around and can be sent to a visible point or after players with a right click. The only building you can build separate from the dog is a teleporter entrance. However, the rest of you're buildings are stacked on top of the dog. For example, you could build that Hanger weapon and upgrade it on top of the dog's back. The cost would be a much lower damage output for a mobile sentry that can chase down enemies. However, you could only build one building type on the dog, so you would need to scrap the sentry if you want a mobile dispenser. The most awesome part about it is that the teleporter exit can be placed and upgraded on the dog. So after tossing an entrance down, you and your dog can run to the edge of a contested area and instantly be able to bring back up. This would get rid of the Engineer's set up time problem on rapidly changing CP maps and add some spice to Arena (Something the PDQ will help fix, but this sounds more awesome). All you're buildings are weaker in terms of health though, so one can't revert to tanking behind the dog.

The dispenser will be tweaked to. Instead of regenerating, the one that is stuck on the dog's back comes fully loaded from the get go. However, a bar depletes as ammo and healing beams are churned out. It will not dispense metal either. To refill it you must have it send the dog to a supply crate, supply closet, or hit it with your wrench using up you're metal. It works like a damaged building does in that it needs to be full to upgrade. (the bar won't deplete with fully healed allies with 90% of their ammo) So sort of like a trackless payload bomb that needs to be refilled and can be destroyed. Capacity and efficiency are boosted with upgrades, though it will only heal as fast as a level 2 dispenser. Ammo pickups restore on percent as well.

Other abilities the dog has is similar to the fan update. He can carry supplies like the Scout's original backpack update before it was scrapped for Bonk! His primary attack is a melee bite similar to the bat, so even with the sentry or not he's/she's not defenseless. When a disguised spy is near (within a small radius) the dog will start to growl and bark (but not point to the spy). If a spy manages to sap the dog, it will become scared and run around in a panic, so thus it wouldn't be so easy to unsap. The upside is the dog is mobile and a tad faster than a scout, so it will be hard catch and most likely be near the Engie. If the dog is killed, the Engie must go back to a spawn to find him again. If the Engie is killed, the dog will continue it's previous action until another command is given (IE: keep attacking, staying put, or following a player) However, if the dog is following you at the time of death, the building on it's back is destroyed (or not on it at all) the task is completed, or the person it was following is killed, it will run back to spawn. The dog cannot be healed or over healed by the Medic (he's not a vet) or his own dispenser. He must find medkits, sandviches, or supply closets to heal.

I'm trying to figure out what to do for health. I know the dog should have a small amount of Hp (ie: not 125) but with each building and subsequent upgrade I'm thinking it should gain a bit of armor relative to the reduced health of the building. That means the building has to go before you can harm the dog. The trade off is that the buildings are weaker healthwise and any upgrade will start to slow the dog around on top of being weaker than their stationary counterparts. So a max upgraded Hanger (with a damage output around a level 2 sentry) would not be able to move as fast as it's level 1 form. The added armor health of the building and speed reduction aren't extraordinary, but are present.

This would also serve to better counter Scouts, the best class in the game and what the sentry is designed to stop dead. The dog is faster than the Scout without an upgrade so sticking a Hanger on top of it and sending him after one will have excellent results. The melee of dog, a moving auto firing sentry on it's back, and your shotgun will prove very handy in dealing with lower classes. Upgraded Hangers will have trouble keeping up with scouts, but will pack more of a punch while in range.

Also the dog cannot Crit at all. Even on melee bites.

So basically, the pros and cons:

Pros:

-Mobile Sentry: Can move and follow targets thanks to the dog

-Mobile Dispenser: Can move and function like a payload bomb.

-Mobile Teleporter: Exit can be placed on dog. Walking backup machine. Teleporter rate remains the same.

-Dog can be positioned stationary, recalled, follow friendly players, or hunt down players with the right mouse button (Holding recalls the dog)

-Dog is faster than a Scout with level 1 buildings.

-Can detect a spy in the area.

-Dog can be hard to sapped and cannot be back stabbed with a building on top of it.

-Buildings must be destroyed before harming the dog.

-Can attack without a sentry with a melee bite.

Cons:

-Only one building type at a time can be used.

-Sentry damage output and health are significantly less than the stationary counterpart. Range also decreased.

-Dispenser health and dispensing rates are less than a their stationary counterpart. Needs to be refilled by pickups or metal.

-Teleporter health reduced. If dog is not following a task (following another player, attacking, staying put) it will return to spawn.

-Dog cannot be healed by Medic or own dispenser.

-Dog running speed is reduced upon upgrades.

-Will not point to spies (so you could accidentally assign it to one)

-Sapping the dog causes it to panic and run around uncontrolled. Will be hard to remove.

-Death of the dog requires returning to spawn to pick him/her up again.

-Melee is weak, cannot crit.

-If dog is not following a task (following another player, attacking, staying put) it will return to spawn at the death of the Engineer or following player.

Far fetched? Indeed. But I had fun thinking this one up!

Anyway, here is a list of current things that are currently in beta testing, any opinions?

New Gloves for the Heavy:

Either reduces health, reduces damage done by fists, or hurts the wearer. Makes the heavy run at normal speed while out.

Changes to the Uber Saw: Either damage to the wearer or damage reduction.

Engineer PDQ (pretty damn fast): Builds buildings 150% faster, which means a sentry with this wrench will build a sentry in 2 seconds. No upgrading potential. Replaces wrench.

Spy Suits: Either a flame retardant suit or a resistant one. Replaces the revolver slot. The ups are that you won't catch fire on spy check disguise, or that it won't hurt as much if you do. Makes it easier to not get spy checked. Will work wonders with Dead Ringers too.

Either reduces health, reduces damage done by fists, or hurts the wearer. Makes the heavy run at normal speed while out.

The first or second options sound good, but I don't like the third; it would discourage the use of it. And does it have the speed effect any time you have them on your person or only when they're selected?

Nah. It could use a minor nerf, and maybe lowering the charge increase to twenty percent would suffice. But if pressed, I'd go with damage reduction.

Engineer PDQ (pretty damn fast): Builds buildings 150% faster, which means a sentry with this wrench will build a sentry in 2 seconds. No upgrading potential. Replaces wrench.

I guess if they made it so it only levels up to or spawns at level 2, it could help make the Engie used more offensively. But as you described, it doesn't sound worth using at all.

Spy Suits: Either a flame retardant suit or a resistant one. Replaces the revolver slot. The ups are that you won't catch fire on spy check disguise, or that it won't hurt as much if you do. Makes it easier to not get spy checked. Will work wonders with Dead Ringers too.

That one sounds good. It's a bit of a sacrifice, but it will certainly help balance Pyros.

And how do you know these are being tested? Do you go on the beta testing servers?

Edited by SuperStingray

Ah yes: the Gloves of Running Urgently.

It sounds fine to me. Probably not something I would use that much, but it would be interesting to see. I would rather, however, see them incorperate the idea into an item that didn't involve the fists of all things though. Perhaps the Boots of Running Urgently for the Misc section of the loadout, that you activate with a button press?

Ubersaw is OP in comparison to the Bonesaw, but I'd rather see that buffed instead like what they did to the Syringe Gun.

Pretty Darn Quick looks great.

And this sounds like a good one for when you need to spam repair a Sentry, but you'd need the help of another Engy to upgrade. It sounds like it encourages more team-work, which is always good.

I could see this being used for the times when the enemy is spy-checking like crazy, but the Revolver/Ambassador are too important for when you're discovered.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got this today. Where can I find servers at? Sorry if I sound dumb for asking.

Just open "Find servers" go to "Internet" and browse through there. You can add what map you want to play by "Changing Filters" from there. In the "tags" section, you can add tags to help find servers using more specific settings, like having faster respawn time, or more players than the standard 26. Beware though- some servers, like Lotus Clan among others "pretend" to have more people playing than they actually do, just to rope more people in.

If you've got friends who also have TF2, you can join a game they're on too.

If you happen to like a server and want to go to it again, you can right-click it and add it to your favorites.

I know PC players will hate on me for even suggesting this, but I think if they made a Team Fortress 2 Plus type game for the PS3 and 360 with all the additions that the PC version has updated with time as a standalone title not with the Orange Box, it would do rather well for itself. I know more than a few people who would be interested.

Edited by Dusk the Crypt Keeper

I know PC players will hate on me for even suggesting this, but I think if they made a Team Fortress 2 Plus type game for the PS3 and 360 with all the additions that the PC version has updated with time as a standalone title not with the Orange Box, it would do rather well for itself. I know more than a few people who would be interested.

I was thinking the same thing. Kind of what Bungie have done with ODST, released just the multiplayer aspect of Halo 3 (Or TF2 in the Orange Box) with all the maps but it still counts as the original game. Same achivements (Just added in game ones) without HL2 and Portal I guess it could all be fit on there. It would only be released at the end of all these updates though but it being Valve, it would probably cost, the ammount needed to make and send out all the disks (Which would probably be cheaper than if M$ put a DLC price tag on it)

Why would we hate you for something that already exists? Team Fortress 2 is already a standalone product on Steam...

So wait, hold on here... is there an SSMB group that still gets together to play TF2 on the 360? Because I'm trying to get into the game myself, and if there were some friendly faces to play with/against, that'd rock.

So wait, hold on here... is there an SSMB group that still gets together to play TF2 on the 360? Because I'm trying to get into the game myself, and if there were some friendly faces to play with/against, that'd rock.

I'd be more than willing to play with you! My gamertag is Fireyosh. I have some other friends who play TF2 who would love to play with another person.