Awoo.

Team Fortress 2

Urtheart

I have no idea either, I turned multi-core rendering off, as that's something I turned on before getting these problems. I have four cores, so I don't see what the issue is.

In my experience multi-core rendering only benefits AMD processors. Most people I've seen with Intel ones have noticed drops in their FPS. I'm using a Phenom X3 720 Black and I've seen nothing but benefits from it, which might be because it's the first series of CPU with "true multi-core architechure". For instance, the Intel Quad Cores are two refined Core2Duo's as opposed to three or four dedicated cores built from the ground up.

Still no hats. I decided seeing as though it takes no skill to get them at all, I'd try idling. 16 hours, a Sandman, a Natasha, a Bonk, a Razorback, two huntsmen and two ubersaws. Fantastic. My friend on the other hand idled for 3 hours and got the Spy's hat.

[08/15 11:43:43 AM] Item ID 25864391: The Backburner (level 10)

[08/15 12:09:23 PM] Item ID 25869530: The Killing Gloves of Boxing (level 7)

[08/15 12:59:22 PM] Item ID 25880162: The Dead Ringer (level 5)

[08/15 01:24:22 PM] Item ID 25885719: The Razorback (level 10)

[08/15 07:39:28 PM] Item ID 25975965: Jarate (level 5)

[08/15 09:44:26 PM] Item ID 26003911: Natascha (level 5)

[08/15 10:59:30 PM] Item ID 26019562: The Razorback (level 10)

[08/15 11:24:30 PM] Item ID 26024855: The Force-A-Nature (level 10)

[08/16 12:39:29 AM] Item ID 26040843: Natascha (level 5)

[08/16 01:54:29 AM] Item ID 26056994: The Huntsman (level 10)

[08/16 02:44:28 AM] Item ID 26067548: The Sandman (level 15)

[08/16 03:59:27 AM] Item ID 26082194: Bonk! Atomic Punch (level 5)

[08/16 05:39:26 AM] Item ID 26100189: The Killing Gloves of Boxing (level 7)

[08/16 09:49:28 AM] Item ID 26146994: The Cloak and Dagger (level 5)

[08/16 10:39:27 AM] Item ID 26157197: Jarate (level 5)

[08/16 12:19:26 PM] Item ID 26178927: The Sandvich (level 1)

[08/16 10:01:35 PM] Item ID 26326517: The Cloak and Dagger (level 5)

[08/16 11:44:33 PM] Item ID 26349400: The Blutsauger (level 5)

[08/17 12:34:33 AM] Item ID 26360500: The Ambassador (level 5)

[08/17 12:59:38 AM] Item ID 26365796: The Killing Gloves of Boxing (level 7)

[08/17 05:59:34 AM] Item ID 26420728: The Sandman (level 15)

[08/17 06:24:21 AM] Item ID 26424923: The Axtinguisher (level 10)

[08/17 06:49:21 AM] Item ID 26429086: The Kritzkrieg (level 8)

[08/17 08:29:25 AM] Item ID 26446738: The Ubersaw (level 10)

[08/17 08:54:25 AM] Item ID 26451321: Natascha (level 5)

[08/17 10:09:24 AM] Item ID 26465704: The Axtinguisher (level 10)

._.;

In my experience multi-core rendering only benefits AMD processors. Most people I've seen with Intel ones have noticed drops in their FPS. I'm using a Phenom X3 720 Black and I've seen nothing but benefits from it, which might be because it's the first series of CPU with "true multi-core architechure". For instance, the Intel Quad Cores are two refined Core2Duo's as opposed to three or four dedicated cores built from the ground up.

Yeah, I have an AMD Phenom X4 9650 myself. Maybe that isn't the problem then, really can't understand what it can be.

That's a pretty horrible list too. What do Valve expect us to do with all these weapons? By the time this trading system comes out, everyone will have 4 of each anyway.

Rocket jumping has been fixed with tonight's update.

- Updated PL_Hoodoo. Changes from community mapmaker Tim Johnson:

- - - "Added a balcony at 2-1 that I've rotated and cleaned up so it's a much better point, it attracts less sentry spam but is still holdable. 2-2 has a bit more breathing room and the one way route between BLU/RED spawn in stage 3 has gone and in its place some stairs up to the second level accessible from BLU's side."

- Added "tf_ctf_bonus_time" ConVar to set the CritBoost bonus time for capturing the intelligence (0 to disable it)

- Added "tf_arena_first_blood" ConVar to toggle the first blood feature in Arena mode (0 to disable it)

- Added missing snowpuff particles for DX8 players

- Fixed rocket jumping

- Fixed sticky bomb attachment to props. They will now only ignore the saws in sawmill

- Fixed Scouts going into reference pose in double jumps.

- Fixed the Ubersaw not displaying team colors

- Fixed Spies disguised as RED Scouts not cloaking properly

- Removed two more text messages for TF_FLAGTYPE_ATTACK_DEFEND CTF game mode

That's a pretty horrible list too. What do Valve expect us to do with all these weapons? By the time this trading system comes out, everyone will have 4 of each anyway.

The only trade worthy item will be hats, and even that's no big deal if you play on a server with a custom hats plugin. At the press of a button I've got every official Valve attire at my disposal, plus a lot of awesome fan-made items.

Speaking of which:

ctf_2fort0020.jpg

:3

Speaking of which:

ctf_2fort0020.jpg

Possibly the single most greatest fan mod ever, Link please :)

So true, I just tend to get the same weapons over and over again, however after deleating "Backups" of sandmen (Mine broke and I couldn't hit the ball, I'd just use it like a club for some reason) I deleated the first one levaing me with 2, I deleated the second one, my final 2 BOTH went, I'll jsut have to wait to find that again/wait for the trade system, whatever comes first.

however after deleating "Backups" of sandmen (Mine broke and I couldn't hit the ball, I'd just use it like a club for some reason)

In a recent update they've changed it so left click swings it and right click hits the ball.

The only trade worthy item will be hats, and even that's no big deal if you play on a server with a custom hats plugin. At the press of a button I've got every official Valve attire at my disposal, plus a lot of awesome fan-made items.

Speaking of which:

ctf_2fort0020.jpg

That...is...GLORIOUS.

In a recent update they've changed it so left click swings it and right click hits the ball.

This. It confused me at first too, but it's much better this way. It prevents you from accidentally throwing when you wanted to swing, and is just better for melee combat then it used to be.

The health reduction for the new Sandman put me off at first, but I'll say that it's not so bad, and it's a better alternative to losing the double jump.

Possibly the single most greatest fan mod ever, Link please :)

It's not a mod in the sense it replaces existing stuff client-side, it's embedded on the hats plugin for the whole server. Not entirely sure how it can be made standalone, I'll ask the man that dealt with the importing into the game part (I can make the hat but god damn are I lost when it comes to the actual modding).

• 3 weeks later...

Oh my god. The steam forums are full of ITTY BITTY TINY BABIES (now without a complimentary Halo). From the TF2 Blog:

Over the next few days we'll be removing all TF2 items that were earned using external idling applications. We're going to adopt a zero tolerance policy for external applications used to manipulate the persistent item system. Due to us not having a policy in place prior to today, this time we're only removing the items earned through cheating the system. Going forward, if we find users using external applications, we'll remove all of their items. If you're interested, only about 4.5% of the players in TF2's community will be affected by this cleansing process.

Meanwhile, everyone who took the moral high road will soon be finding a new hat in their inventory. We've also significantly increased the chance of finding any of the existing hats.

We realize there is a high level of demand for items, and we're still working on systems to allow you to find them in new ways (via Trading, and crafting duplicates into desired items). However, we need to draw the line at running external applications.

For those of you who haven't noticed, if you didn't use that 3rd party idle program to get drops you escape the item ravage and get a brand new halo hat to prove your innocence. The babies that like to call themselves Valve fans are bitching and moaning that their petty internet hats, FUCKING VIRTUAL HATS THAT DO NOTHING BUT E-PENIS GET, are gone along with the rest of the items they got through the program. It's gone so far as people uninstalling TF2, renouncing and boycotting Valve, re-skinning the halo to read "FAG" on top of your head, and actually outright banning legit everyday players with halos from servers. You read that right. People are banning halo owners because they are so butthurt that they got stung for going against the Valve ELUA. They're lucky they didn't get VAC banned.

Jesus. I knew Valve has the most whiny fanbase out of any other developer but this is taking it way too far, even for them. So many delicious tears. Well what do you think, Heavy?

"CRY SUM MOAR"

Out of curiousity, I checked a few threads in that last link... and I think I lost a couple of brains cells in the process.

Random pub. One of the rare 24 players out there I play when my main server is full.

Usual stuff, dominating W+M1 pyros, bodyshot snipers, etc.

Then someone notices I don't have a halo.

"Hey, that soldier has no Halo. He's one of those hat hackers."

Needless to say, it was a screeching, juvenile voice.

For another 2 minutes, people discussed about how I was hacking to regain health, rocketjump higher and crit more. Some older admin switched to spectator, and sat there, watching me.

I was, of course, not fooled by his lowly tricks. I went back to spawn to spam the Juggle taunt. Guy didn't enjoy it.

"He's not doing anything. Cmon Poche go out there and play, or else I'll have to kick you for AFKing".

Certainly. I headed towards the Halo-infested battlefield with my trusty hacker weapon ; the shovel. Crit on a medic. Admin froze me in place while I was running for a medkit.

The kid and one of his friends tried to convince me into saying I was hacking. I am honest. My parents taught me to never lie. And thus, I pressed middle mouse.

"MAGGOTS"

This word echoed in the server. Little dude told the bigger-but-nearly-as-homosexual dude to ban me. I called him a double ♥♥♥♥er and got permabanned.

Get the dogs and curtains people, we're a bunch of hackers and we're out for some blood.

This was about the only vaugely sane post I could find. I can now officially say that Valve fans are even more retarded than Sonic ones. Jesus christ.

Oh my god. The steam forums are full of ITTY BITTY TINY BABIES (now without a complimentary Halo). From the TF2 Blog:

For those of you who haven't noticed, if you didn't use that 3rd party idle program to get drops you escape the item ravage and get a brand new halo hat to prove your innocence. The babies that like to call themselves Valve fans are bitching and moaning that their petty internet hats, FUCKING VIRTUAL HATS THAT DO NOTHING BUT E-PENIS GET, are gone along with the rest of the items they got through the program. It's gone so far as people uninstalling TF2, renouncing and boycotting Valve, re-skinning the halo to read "FAG" on top of your head, and actually outright banning legit everyday players with halos from servers. You read that right. People are banning halo owners because they are so butthurt that they got stung for going against the Valve ELUA. They're lucky they didn't get VAC banned.

Jesus. I knew Valve has the most whiny fanbase out of any other developer but this is taking it way too far, even for them. So many delicious tears. Well what do you think, Heavy?

"CRY SUM MOAR"

The ones who are just complaining about losing their hats or that people are getting halos are being babies about this. I mean really. I, a former idler, lost 4 out of 5 of my hats today, and I'm pretty indifferent to it. They're nothing but hats in a first person game.

But I have to say, since they even acknowledge they didn't have a policy about this thing beforehand, I can't say Valve handled the whole situation well. Many idlers like myself didn't even know that we were doing something wrong, breaking an existing rule, but now we're being treated like we consciously chose to do something immoral. Hell, if I knew that the idle program was wrong, then I wouldn't have used it, even if I thought there wouldn't be any consequences.

The worst part about this really is the amount of people just being crucified for having idled, being called cheaters like in the situation Black Lighting just brought to our attention. He's not the only one, and it's rather unfortunate. Moreover, a good majority of the people who got the halo didn't even know of the idle program's existence or function, so they're the ones who are even more likely to just spew ignorant bullshit over it.

What I don't get is why Valve didn't shut down the idler before it became so overwhelmingly popular. They didn't even comment on it, or contact its creator. Instead they chose to wait a long time, and then criminalize the idlers out of the blue, slapping them with the cheater label, all while glorifying and honoring the equally unknowing public, and causing a divide in the communities between whiny crybaby butthurt idlers, and ignorant fucktards who will at any given time crucify an idler without even knowing what they're saying.

Cliff notes: Things have gone to shit, but I still have a Medal.

You used a third-party application and don't think it's cheating.

Fuck me, does no-one read EULAs anymore?

You used a third-party application and don't think it's cheating.

Fuck me, does no-one read EULAs anymore?

Not really no. Kind of silly, I realize because it's important to know, but most people are just going to open the game, install it and play it without concerning themselves with anything else.

Moreover, it was constantly being advertised by users as being acceptable, and not against the rules. And you would see people saying things like "Not a hack, just simulates Idling" all over the place, so naturally everyone just went along with it. It was a low profile alternative to idle servers(which are even more pathetic really), so most people I've seen liked the idea. And as I've said, even after the thing came out, it took them that long to respond to it even though they would obviously had to have known about it before this, so it got to the point where nobody expected Valve to do anything about it.

When I started, there were a TON of people using it, many of which told me it was safe, and not a violation, so I just went with the flow. I'm not the only one who was uneducated on the manner. It was never my intention to be part of something prohibited, so when I had found out that Valve was so opposed to the idle program, I just went ahead and deleted the hats I got from it myself.

Edited by The Soldier

It's not that people are whining about the loss of items so much, it's that Valve has been acting less and less like it used to as of late. Valve has always given out warnings first for this sort of issue and not taken action outright. The creator of the idle program had said on his forums multiple times that if Valve had contacted him, he'd shut down the idler immediately - but since they did not, he assumed it was alright. He's getting a lot of backlash as being the cause of all of this now, like McDonalds is branded for "making people fat".

The percentile of people whom used the idler were some of the more hardcore players of Team Fortress. They were out to get the hats - which the system is so unfairly distributing - as further incentive to play. Valve seems to think that playing and finding none of the advertised hats is incentive, but it's actually discouraging and this 'halo' business is no different, nor was the medal handout. What's sad is that it's taken all of this for Valve to finally increase the rate of finding hats, but it's still such a ridiculously low chance that you'll probably never find one if you actually play the game.

And uh, people didn't think it was wrong (despite the EULA) because Robin Walker replied to an idler thread a while ago regarding it; his statement was that since it doesn't give you an advantage over another player, it's "not a cheat".

So I got 2 items taken away because I used the idle (one time mind you) and im fine with it. Sure people wear halos like there angels or something but the thing is I hate how they just call the idles "cheaters." A friend of mine who hasn't used the idle program just rubbed the whole halo thing in my face like I should give a rats ass about it. The halos are funny though IMO (like the engineer being bold. It always cracked me up)

I just wish Valve would stop it with all this 'hats' stuff and go back to creating awesome updates with unlockable weapons of which you gain by actually achieving something. It gets annoying to keep getting the same bloody weapons over and over again in the drop system, I still need the Jarate myself but have three Natatsha's, fantastic! The bloody item trading system and 'merging' items to make other ones is just ridiculous too. It's getting less and less like the TF2 we all know and love before they even rolled out all the class updates.

I mean I get that Valve should have added a warning or at least indicated the ELUA violation before doing anything, but all that was taken away was the stuff you idled for. This is mainly just hat centric and it won't take away items you have the milestone stuff for or didn't idle for (at least now it does).

The forums are in a civil war and people are getting banned for not owning a halo or having a halo. This is just so fucking stupid that all of this happened over a god damn VIRTUAL HAT that adds nothing to the gameplay.

It's because people think that what they did wasn't wrong, and they don't want to be identified by it. Doesn't mean they're right though, they're cheaters. XD

. It gets annoying to keep getting the same bloody weapons over and over again in the drop system, I still need the Jarate myself but have three Natatsha's, fantastic!
you can get the Jarate through achievements, it's how I got my Spy gear.

I mean I get that Valve should have added a warning or at least indicated the ELUA violation before doing anything, but all that was taken away was the stuff you idled for. This is mainly just hat centric and it won't take away items you have the milestone stuff for or didn't idle for (at least now it does).

Again, it's not really about that. The guys who are butthurt over losing their virtual hats- yeah, they need to can-it.

It's really the principle of the whole thing though, and the way Valve went about this. Not only did Robin Walker say that it wasn't cheating, but they made a few jokes about idling without ever condemning it the way they did- then out of the blue, they cause a rift in the community by treating everyone who didn't idle like they're saints, and treating everyone who did like they're immoral people who simply have no regards for the rules.

What they should have done is contacted the idle programs creator from the beginning. As Chris pointed out, he said he'd take it down if Valve asked him to. But even if he didn't say that, it still seems like the only reasonable choice, because they're certainly capable of shutting it down by force, and they could have done so really early on.

Edited by The Soldier

I think I'll wait for my Xbox update and not listen to faggots bitching about hats.

Also the people with halos should feel ASHAMED. Go with the flow fuckers.

I think I'll wait for my Xbox update and not listen to faggots bitching about hats.

Part of me died when I read this. What are you on about?

Part of me died when I read this. What are you on about? Should i not listen to you bitching about people wearing halos, does not wearing a halo make me cool!? I'm so conflicted