Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

2015 doesn't surprise me honestly. It's kind of what I expected. 

• Thumbs Up 2

At the moment, it does seem to be a rumour and was taken off but if it is true then what will the Nintendo Direct be about then? Due to that the direct is all about the game, well it has to be more than just characters, stages and gameplay mechanics unless it is a decent amount of content that is announced. Maybe a little bit about the online/multiplayer modes as well.

If Smash Bros doesn't come out this year, then what is Nintendo's biggest game for the end of the year? Since Mario Kart comes out at the end of May and games such as Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors are smaller more nicher titles, to keep momentum on the console and to target the busiest time of the year, Nintendo does need something big not only to get attention [like this game] but also to compete with other games that are hyped up like FIFA 15, Destiny, Driveclub [if it gets released this year], the next Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed Unity, a Halo game, Batman: Arkham Knight to name a few. Last year, their big titles were Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U as well as A Link Between Worlds and Pokemon X/Y for the 3DS.

A 2015 date is understandable due to that Nintendo likes to have their games to be as least buggy as possible though however just worried that it might be a bit too late to make a large impact to the point of having non-Nintendo/fighting fans to pick up the game and enjoy it. There will be an impact though.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, I never thought the game was going to be released this year.

Translated page says:

"[Wanted] background
Is released in 2015 " Smash Bros. 6 "Nintendo and Namco Bandai and 3DS at Wii-U for the production you are. The project and is composed of about 120 people present, we are planning to hire up to 200 people. I have been led to the recruitment of this accordingly.
"

Smash Bros 6? Perhaps an error on their part? They could also just be referring to the fiscal year, since no release date is set in stone yet.

Also there's the fact Sakurai did allude to releasing the 3DS version at a later date than the Wii-U version. So who knows?

• Thumbs Up 2

Aw, 2015 sucks :( If it is released in 2015, I hope it's in the first half of the year.

I thought it would be either late 2014 or early 2015, so I don't mind so much. Maybe it's going to be released around January/February like Brawl. I just hope it's going to be released worldwide this time.

Ugggh, I'm extremely desperate for a summer release because the way how school is turning out, I'm doubting that I'll be able to play the game that much when I reach high school.

Please PLEASE let it be a error.

Smash and X will probably be Nintendo's big Fall releases, while Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors will be Summer.

Smash Bros. site says:

Available on Nintendo 3DS and Wii U
Planned release: 2014

http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/

So if that's right about 2015, then I expect they'll announce a delay tomorrow. If they reveal lots of content tomorrow, then it'll be the perfect cushion to announce a delay.

Smash Bros. site says:

http://www.smashbros.com/en-uk/

So if that's right about 2015, then I expect they'll announce a delay tomorrow. If they reveal lots of content tomorrow, then it'll be the perfect cushion to announce a delay.

Even so, I can't imagine they'll be like "hey guys, check out all these cool new features for this game!... which you can't play for at least another year now btw". Nintendo just downright needs this game to come out in 2014. This, alongside Mario Kart 8, is the game that everyone with a Wii U is looking forward to (or everyone without a Wii U might take an interest in), and Nintendo can't really afford to hold off on potential sales any longer than they have to. The Wii had a brilliant double hitter in the form of Mario Kart Wii and Brawl being released within just a couple of months of each other. Ideally, the Wii U needs something like that now too. Get everyone on board with Mario Kart 8, then serve up Smash Bros to keep them busy for the foreseeable future. Having a whole year in between the two titles just seems... nonsensical, if I'm honest. Of course, any strange decisions regarding the Wii U wouldn't surprise me any more, but still.

Obviously I wouldn't want the game to be rushed and in the long run I'd rather have a delayed but polished experience, but from a business sense... yeah, unless Nintendo has something seriously impressive to fill the Christmas void instead of Smash Bros, then this game absolutely has to come out in time for the holiday rush if it's going to have maximum impact. And if they are going to delay it, I think they ought to hold off on announcing it until at least E3. That way they can at least say "hey, you can't play Smash for a year, but at least there's all these other great titles coming out now too!". If they do it tomorrow... well, what else is there to really look forward to beyond Mario Kart? Hyrule Warriors and X will not be system sellers by any means. Smash Bros is currently the only other beacon of light on the Wii U horizon for 2014... take that away and the second half of the year will look incredibly bleak, until E3 rolls around at any rate.

• Thumbs Up 1

Even so, I can't imagine they'll be like "hey guys, check out all these cool new features for this game!... which you can't play for at least another year now btw". Nintendo just downright needs this game to come out in 2014. This, alongside Mario Kart 8, is the game that everyone with a Wii U is looking forward to (or everyone without a Wii U might take an interest in), and Nintendo can't really afford to hold off on potential sales any longer than they have to. The Wii had a brilliant double hitter in the form of Mario Kart Wii and Brawl being released within just a couple of months of each other. Ideally, the Wii U needs something like that now too. Get everyone on board with Mario Kart 8, then serve up Smash Bros to keep them busy for the foreseeable future. Having a whole year in between the two titles just seems... nonsensical, if I'm honest. Of course, any strange decisions regarding the Wii U wouldn't surprise me any more, but still.

Obviously I wouldn't want the game to be rushed and in the long run I'd rather have a delayed but polished experience, but from a business sense... yeah, unless Nintendo has something seriously impressive to fill the Christmas void instead of Smash Bros, then this game absolutely has to come out in time for the holiday rush if it's going to have maximum impact. And if they are going to delay it, I think they ought to hold off on announcing it until at least E3. That way they can at least say "hey, you can't play Smash for a year, but at least there's all these other great titles coming out now too!". If they do it tomorrow... well, what else is there to really look forward to beyond Mario Kart? Hyrule Warriors and X will not be system sellers by any means. Smash Bros is currently the only other beacon of light on the Wii U horizon for 2014... take that away and the second half of the year will look incredibly bleak, until E3 rolls around at any rate.

Brawl was delayed from its original Christmas release date, so I wouldn't put it past them to do it again with this new one. With two platforms for the game this time round, I'd imagine it's going to be even tougher to stick to a release date. Nintendo really does need this to release this year if they've not got any big guns we've not seen yet, but they've never been afraid to delay a game if it needs more work.

Brawl was delayed from its original Christmas release date, so I wouldn't put it past them to do it again with this new one. With two platforms for the game this time round, I'd imagine it's going to be even tougher to stick to a release date. Nintendo really does need this to release this year if they've not got any big guns we've not seen yet, but they've never been afraid to delay a game if it needs more work.

This is true, but the Wii was already a certified money-making machine by that point. Stretching out the Wii U's already sparse release schedule will just be dragging out its struggling existence. It needs momentum and it needs it as soon as possible. Or if they absolutely must delay the game somehow, only delay one version - still give us the Wii U one (preferably) for Christmas, and then we can have the 3DS counterpart later on in early 2015 to serve as a fresh new spin on the same experience, kinda like they used to do with the Mario & Sonic games.

As I say though, if there is a delay, it would be incredibly unwise for them to announce it so soon. At least let us believe it's coming out this year for a little while longer, even if only til Mario Kart 8 comes out so people buy the console thinking that there's this other big game coming out soon too... and then pull the rug from under our feet and make us wait another few months. Doing it now will do the Wii U no favours whatsoever.

• Thumbs Up 1

People forget that Sakurai alluded to the fact that both may not release at the same time. Perhaps the 3DS version will come out in 2015, but the Wii U version will come out in Fall this year. Wii U version first because it should be their priority, since the Wii U needs more sales.

• Thumbs Up 1

I have to say I'd be surprised if at least one version didn't come out this year.  The hype train would be spread pretty thin otherwise.

I'd say its likely that one version of the game will be out next year, and another possible is that they'll do post-release DLC or something.

If the two versions are to be released separately, I think we can all agree that the Wii U version should come out first and have the 3DS version follow in 2015, not the other way around. Partly because it's the "main" version of the game and therefore the one people are more hyped for, but also because if they release the 3DS version on its own at first, there'll be the initial rush to buy that version of the game... but then a few months down the line when the Wii U version comes out, a lot of people will no longer be interested. Think about it - if you already own one version of the game on a console you already own, what's the point in shelling out a couple of hundred pounds to play a slightly prettier version on a console you don't own? At least, that'll be the mindset for a lot of parents and more casual gamers who aren't aware of the differences or connectivity between the two. They'll think "I already bought that game, no need to buy the Wii U one!". Especially as the 3DS is already a much more successful and well-regarded system to begin with.

Release the Wii U version first though and the hype train will more likely arrive at its intended destination. Everyone's keen for their next slice of Smash, so excitement alone will persuade people to jump on the bandwagon and buy the Wii U version, with a console along with it as required. And then the 3DS version is pretty much a guaranteed hit when it arrives later on anyway, due to the large install base and also the fact that people will be wanting something fresh and new by that point, yet still also be caught up in the Smash Bros fever.

Actually, thinking about it, it might do Nintendo a favour to spread them out for the very same reasons stated above. If the Wii U and 3DS versions release simultaneously, that might even further give off the impression that they're exactly the same thing - and, clearly, most people are going to buy the version that's both cheaper and on a system they already own, namely 3DS.

• Thumbs Up 4

Agreed. The Wii U version should definitely come out first, in 2014. The Smash Bros. direct kinda seemed to hint that it might be out earlier than we were expecting, but if one version of the game isn't out until 2015, then the Wii U version is probably set for an autumn launch at least, if not then Christmas.

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way, its being implied that it was a miswrite, and that Soulcaliber 6 was proably what it was meant for

• Thumbs Up 1

If the 3DS version gets delayed, that would explain why we haven't had many 3DS updates vs Wii U ones. I'm fine with that being the case; working on two different systems at once is a big task that takes a lot of resources and energy. And considering Sakurai's arm, I think it's best he only focuses on one version.

• Thumbs Up 1

By the way, its being implied that it was a miswrite, and that Soulcaliber 6 was proably what it was meant for

That doesn't surprise me at all. Soul Calibur VI hasn't even been announced yet, and I heard they were having some problems getting it complete. I highly doubt Namco has over 120 people on Smash and want to add 80 more. Smash should be far enough along in development.

I'm fine with the 3DS version being delayed. It's the version I'm gonna buy and I want it to be at the top of its game.

Well, how would we know the 3DS version will get delayed, anyway? We don't even know when its estimated to release. For all we know they always planned to focus more attention on the Wii U version, with the 3DS version planned to come out later. Which really wouldn't surprise me at all.

That doesn't surprise me at all. Soul Calibur VI hasn't even been announced yet, and I heard they were having some problems getting it complete. I highly doubt Namco has over 120 people on Smash and want to add 80 more. Smash should be far enough along in development.

Speaking of namco (and I asked this awhile back too) was it ever really said just how much involvement they have in this game right now? I know that they are supposed to be co-developing this but what are they exactly doing on this project.