Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

It could be any newcomer.

So you think an advance war character should join in? What kind of stuff content could they bring? A stage were the fighters are in a middle of a war?

The Advance Wars/Nintendo Wars/Wars series, well whatever you want to call it, has been around since the Famicon days. No seriously. There's about ten games in the series, though the first games released in the west were Advance Wars. They just kept the name Advance Wars for all subsequent games in the US regardless of console, though before Advance Wars the wars games were named after the console they were on.

Advance Wars is the only modern military franchise I know of that Nintendo has. That alone is very significant; its a new type of franchise that has not appeared in Smash before. Unless you count Solid Snake, who isn't likely to return at this point, which gives even a greater reason to include an Advance Wars character.

Said character can reuse most of Snake's moveset so the moveset isn't dropped from the series even though Snake himself may be removed. And notably, I can't recall any original characters being dropped; at the very least they had a replacement character with a similar moveset added back in (Mewtwo for Lucario). The only dropped characters were clones.

Yeah, the character announcement COULD be anyone. But usually they always announce said character around a time significant to that character to promote them. Diddy Kong was announced when Tropical Freeze came out, Little Mac was announced shortly before Punch Out's 30th anniversary, Sonic was announced the same month Sonic Lost World came out, etc.

Other than the Fire Emblem anniversary, the only significant thing happening I can think of this month is the re-release of several GBA games on the Wii U virtual console. This includes the first TWO Advance Wars (the first Wars games released in the US) as well as the first Golden Sun game. And Fire Emblem could easily get an announcement in Ike's return later in the month, so I suspect either an Advance Wars or Golden Sun character announcement.

• Thumbs Up 4

Sami would make a great replacement for Snake as a character that relies on firearms and explosives, in addition to another female character which is always good. 

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh, honestly if they do replace snake with an advance wars character (which I would be completely okay with, just putting it out there) I would rather they have their own unique moveset instead of an existing ones since it would just make me wonder "what was the point of replacing snake with "x" when I could've just had snake?" and for the people who do like snake, I could imagine it being pretty enraging for them.

Even though I'm no good at snakes movetset but it was pretty unique and fun when messing around.

Its not like they would have to copy his move set, the advance war rep should bring something unique that comes from their game.

I'm curious, if ridley was to join. What unique moves could he bring in.

All the newcomers so far are pretty unique

Villager using everyday items as fight moves and a projectile pocket holder move.

Mega man almost having all moves using special type moves.

What can ridley do different?

Same with Chrom.

It could be anything, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea.

why not a bit of both, I mean parts of snakes' moveset is general weapondry, which isnt an issue, but the fact it Sakurai has ditched clones for the most part, however he is going to make something unique interesting and reflective of the series, so while we may see bits and pieces of snakes moveset, its definately going to fit the character

but ya, advance wars rep and golden sun reps would be awesome, whats the deadline on a direct announcement?

Eh, honestly if they do replace snake with an advance wars character (which I would be completely okay with, just putting it out there) I would rather they have their own unique moveset instead of an existing ones since it would just make me wonder "what was the point of replacing snake with "x" when I could've just had snake?" and for the people who do like snake, I could imagine it being pretty enraging for them.

The point for removing Snake is that he's not fit for the game. And I'm not saying make the character a complete clone of Snake. The problem is that Snake is likely gone period, regardless of his moveset. Adding in an Advance Wars character to replace him means the moveset STAYS IN THE GAME.

Yeah, they could give an Advance Wars character a new moveset all-together, but since Snake probably isn't going to be back regardless of other circumstances, it'd be a good fit to give an updated Snake moveset to a new character so the moveset isn't gone completely. And again, I don't mean identical, just with some similar moves and the general moveset so it feels familiar to Snake players.

And again, I say Sami as I think Sami is the best fit. From what I've heard, not only is she shown using a rocket launcher, she's also the only foot soldier of the main three CO's (the others being Andy and Max). For her Final Smash she could even summon Andy and Max to reek havoc on the playing field with them riding up with a full artillery and barrel down everyone.

Even though I'm no good at snakes movetset but it was pretty unique and fun when messing around.

Its not like they would have to copy his move set, the advance war rep should bring something unique that comes from their game.

I'm curious, if ridley was to join. What unique moves could he bring in.

All the newcomers so far are pretty unique

Villager using everyday items as fight moves and a projectile pocket holder move.

Mega man almost having all moves using special type moves.

What can ridley do different?

Same with Chrom.

It could be anything, but I'm curious if anyone has an idea.

Ridley has LOADS of potential. Ridley would be a heavyweight flying character like Dedede and has a large variety of appearances to draw from. Ridley largely varies from game to game and the bastard just keeps coming back. They can find a very good fighting style for Ridley.

Chrom, on the other hand... not so much. Chrom is really the technical main character of Awakening, as he's the main Lord the game focuses on. The Avatar/Robin is one of the main characters, but he fills the tactician role. The idea is that the Avatar is you (the player) and you're guiding Chrom on his quest, kinda like how you are Mark from Fire Emblem 1 but the main characters are Lyn, Hector, and Eliwood, though the Avatar of Awakening simply has a much larger role.

The problem with Chrom is he's basically just another main Lord. The main Lord's are great, but they're virtually all the same. If Chrom is in, either they'd have to add another sword fighting user and find a way to make him unique, or replace Ike. That's really why I DON'T think Chrom is going to be playable and I DON'T think Ike is going to be removed.

Ike is iconic as is and is one of the most famous Fire Emblem lords. The reason why they dropped Roy? Well, first of all, the only reason they ADDED Roy is to promote his upcoming game. That's all. He held little-to-no significance after that. Ike holds far more significance; he's the main Lord of TWO games, two of the most popular games in the series that is, and he's even unlockable in Awakening as well (as are most main Lords in the series).

I don't think Ike is going anywhere, and we've already got two Fire Emblem main Lords as is. Either the Avatar, Anna, or Lyn would be far better choices.

Of the three, I'd prefer Lyn. She's based on a Myrmidon/Swordmaster class and that's a very unique class overall. Lyn fights with a katana rather than a regular sword and would be a very fast and agile swordfighter, performing numerous flips throughout all her attacks.

This kind of fighter is one we haven't seen in Smash yet, PLUS she also has a great shot due to being an Assist Trophy in Brawl. They could throw in a couple of bow moves, too, as she does use bows on promotion. I don't mean a basic B attack, either, I'm really thinking of Lyn being able to whip out a bow as a downward aerial attack and shoot some quick attacks off before pulling out her katana again. Nothing major, but something as a nod to the fact that she gains use of a bow.

The Avatar is a pretty generic character and really isn't all that interesting, but he'd have a great fighting style as a cross between a swordsman and a mage. Personally I'd rather have Isaac to fill in this niche. The Avatar is kinda boring overall.

Anna is a possible third choice. I think she's got decent potential, but honestly I think she'd be better as an Assist Trophy. She's appeared in nearly every game in the series, so she has huge potential because of that. The problem? She's only been playable in one game and with an awkward class as well.

In Awakening Anna is a Trickster, which is basically a replacement for the Rogue class but using Swords and Staves. The sword/staff combo could be interesting, but the only thing she could really do with the staff is attacking directly which staffs are not known for in FE. Plus, Krystal would be a better choice for a staff user.

why not a bit of both, I mean parts of snakes' moveset is general weapondry, which isnt an issue, but the fact it Sakurai has ditched clones for the most part, however he is going to make something unique interesting and reflective of the series, so while we may see bits and pieces of snakes moveset, its definately going to fit the character

but ya, advance wars rep and golden sun reps would be awesome, whats the deadline on a direct announcement?

Tomorrow mostlikely. In the past Nintendo Direct's were often announced the day before. Sakurai often will say in a Wednesday update if there's been a Nintendo Direct announced. Last time several people tweeted about it as well.

• Thumbs Up 1

Tomorrow mostlikely. In the past Nintendo Direct's were often announced the day before. Sakurai often will say in a Wednesday update if there's been a Nintendo Direct announced. Last time several people tweeted about it as well.

Tomorrow most likely? Pardon me, but what makes you think that, other than the "day before" and the "Wednesday" thing

Tomorrow most likely? Pardon me, but what makes you think that, other than the "day before" and the "Wednesday" thing

Because its already late Tuesday (maybe even getting into Wednesday on some parts of the world) and Nintendo Direct is always on Thursday. If its not announced on Wednesday, its not happening this week. By Thursday its too late and its pointless to release a surprise Nintendo Direct nobody even knows is going on so next-to-nobody is going to be able to watch it.

Ike got into Brawl mostly due to relevancy, but I bet it was also due to him being a main character from a blue-collar background, unless Greil once being a member of the Four Riders somehow disqualifies him, in a series famous for putting the prince in the limelight. Ike's moveset was practically tailored to reflect his down-to-earth personality and life:

"Should we give Ike swordplay that depicts finesse and grace like Marth does?"

"Pssh, have you seen how many flips Ike does with his Aether strike? Ike doesn't have time or concern to be dainty, let's have him cleave right through his opponent as if he was carrying a battle axe!"

Sakurai stated that it's not just the impact the character has. It also has to do with what unique style of fighting that character can bring to the game. Ike being a non-prince protagonist is great and all, but his blunt sword style that resulted from training under a refugee mercenary, and as a mercenary himself, also likely played a factor.

As for newcomer FE fighters, I still say Robin's combination of sword, magic, and pretty much any other weapon expertise gives him/her somewhat of a niche as a fighter. That expertise also calls toward Robin's origins - the result of generations worth of blood relations to create the pure vessel for a god is more dramatic, but just as much different origins from "Prince background" as Ike's is.

I say somewhat, because I now see that Robin's skill lottery/genetic jackpot I mentioned would basically make Robin a human Megaman in that regard, lol. But hey, no one's griped about Luigi yet, soooo...

Because its already late Tuesday (maybe even getting into Wednesday on some parts of the world) and Nintendo Direct is always on Thursday. If its not announced on Wednesday, its not happening this week. By Thursday its too late and its pointless to release a surprise Nintendo Direct nobody even knows is going on so next-to-nobody is going to be able to watch it.

Okay then, if you say so. Thanks for the tip.

Ike got into Brawl mostly due to relevancy, but I bet it was also due to him being a main character from a blue-collar background, unless Greil once being a member of the Four Riders somehow disqualifies him, in a series famous for putting the prince in the limelight. Ike's moveset was practically tailored to reflect his down-to-earth personality and life:

"Should we give Ike swordplay that depicts finesse and grace like Marth does?"

"Pssh, have you seen how many flips Ike does with his Aether strike? Ike doesn't have time or concern to be dainty, let's have him cleave right through his opponent as if he was carrying a battle axe!"

Sakurai stated that it's not just the impact the character has. It also has to do with what unique style of fighting that character can bring to the game. Ike being a non-prince protagonist is great and all, but his blunt sword style that resulted from training under a refugee mercenary, and as a mercenary himself, also likely played a factor.

As for newcomer FE fighters, I still say Robin's combination of sword, magic, and pretty much any other weapon expertise gives him/her somewhat of a niche as a fighter. That expertise also calls toward Robin's origins - the result of generations worth of blood relations to create the pure vessel for a god is more dramatic, but just as much different origins from "Prince background" as Ike's is.

I say somewhat, because I now see that Robin's skill lottery/genetic jackpot I mentioned would basically make Robin a human Megaman in that regard, lol. But hey, no one's griped about Luigi yet, soooo...

If they do choose Robin I say they should default to a she, just because we need more female additions. Granted, they'd probably have the male Robin as an alt anyway.

As for Ike, yeah, that's the whole point. Ike was relevant at the time, but he also made for a very interesting playable character. One argument I heard for replacing Roy with Ike is that they couldn't have more than "one fire-based FE character," which is stupid. Its because Ike was a far, far more unique addition than Roy. Ike had a great standing as a whole, and he wasn't just another "Prince" like most other FE main Lords were.

Robin would be great gameplay wise, but personally I just don't think Robin's all that interesting overall. Unless they do Grima instead of Robin (which would pretty much be the same thing but make a villain FE character instead), I'd prefer Lyn to Robin as she would bring a whole lot to the table as well. Plus the whole magic/sword niche can be filled just as nicely with our other Robin: Isaac (I've heard Isaac's name in Japan is Robin).

On the note of ANOTHER potential character we've been seeing, I'm starting to think that maybe Shulk isn't such a great idea. I'd love references to Xenoblade, but Shulk would make for yet another sword user. I think we've got enough as is. Shulk could probably get a good moveset using moves and attacks from Xenoblade, but its still another sword. I dunno... is there anything more unique Shulk could bring to the table that anyone whose played Xenoblade can think of?

Say Jaiden, are you sure that Nintendo Directs are always on a Thursday? I checked the dates of past Nintendo Directs, and not all of them were on a Thursday. Some of them were done on Wednesdays and even on a Tuesday. The Nintendo Direct on February was on a Thursday, but for some other events, well, they were not always Thursdays.

Say Jaiden, are you sure that Nintendo Directs are always on a Thursday? I checked the dates of past Nintendo Directs, and not all of them were on a Thursday. Some of them were done on Wednesdays and even on a Tuesday. The Nintendo Direct on February was on a Thursday, but for some other events, well, they were not always Thursdays.

That's what I'd heard, but I guess not. I was pretty sure the last major Nintendo Direct before the prior one (Rosalina's announcement) was a Thursday. I suppose a Friday direct is possible, but I saw barely any Friday directs at all and its too late for Wednesday at this point.

So far, most of them has been Thursday and Wednesday. I doubt it will happen Friday. If its Thursday, we should here something about it tomorrow.

Another new item!

tumblr_n3e7exW45F1sntotwo1_500.png

OK, if I must be honest, this is starting to get annoying. I love Zelda, but can we have more items from other series? We got one last week.

And why another Skyward Sword item? Use the Deku Leaf from Wind Waker, the Gust Jar from Minish Cap, or the Whirlwind from Spirit Tracks. (The last one might not work since it requires you to blow in it.)

I don't know much about Smash Bros., but if Isaac gets in, he probably gets a stage, right?  I figure that would be Venus Lighthouse, final dungeon of Golden Sun and thematically associated with Isaac anyway.  It has event potential, too - I guess about halfway through the match it'd split in half for when the lighthouse gets lit.  Maybe even have the Fusion Dragon swoop in.

• Thumbs Up 1

Another new item!

*image*

OK, if I must be honest, this is starting to get annoying. I love Zelda, but can we have more items from other series? We got one last week.

And why another Skyward Sword item? Use the Deku Leaf from Wind Waker, the Gust Jar from Minish Cap, or the Whirlwind from Spirit Tracks. (The last one might not work since it requires you to blow in it.)

He isn't really holding onto it, but still it's a cool item. I'm glad we seem to be getting some cooler items (Even if this thing is just F.L.U.D.D.), and Zelda is definitely the game to pull things from when looking for interesting items.

So Sakurai gives us the Poltergust 5000 on Monday which sucks and the Gust Bellows today, an item which blows.

Either this is a hilarious coincidence or Sakurai just thought he'd have a week of similarly themed updates.

• Thumbs Up 3

Looks to me like a version of the curry, except with bigger knock back and no damage.

And it can be dropped...? If that happens, I guess it'd spin around, pushing everyone away from it.

Honestly, as far as items are concerned right now I just want to see the Beam Sword's new design. Somewhere between Melee's stretchy extendy blade and 64's amazingly punchy sfx would be awesome.

I don't know much about Smash Bros., but if Isaac gets in, he probably gets a stage, right?  I figure that would be Venus Lighthouse, final dungeon of Golden Sun and thematically associated with Isaac anyway.  It has event potential, too - I guess about halfway through the match it'd split in half for when the lighthouse gets lit.  Maybe even have the Fusion Dragon swoop in.

This isn't guaranteed, but mostlikely yes, and the Venus Lighthouse may work. It should be noted, though, that in the original Smash Bros. none of the unlockable characters had their own stages, and in Melee there wasn't a Fire Emblem stage, either. R.O.B. also didn't have his own stage in Brawl. At the same time, we did have stages in Brawl that didn't represent any characters and R.O.B. was a peripheal so technically he wouldn't really have a reason to get a stage.

Oh, look, the Gust Jar, and no mention of a Nintendo Direct this week. It could still happen, and Sakurai doesn't have to be the one to post it, but Smash Bros. has been in every major Nintendo Direct that I'm aware of.

• Thumbs Up 1

To be fair, Sakurai could've made a quick Gyromite stage to represent ROB if he felt like it. He's certaintly gotten away with wierder choices before.

Looking at you, Hanenbow.

Man, this update blo-

So Sakurai gives us the Poltergust 5000 on Monday which sucks and the Gust Bellows today, an item which blows.

Damnit, MK >:V

Hey, don't you hate it when people spam Thunder when they play as Pikachu?

tumblr_n3g0wp5SvQ1r1alb2o1_500.png

Now you can hate it more!