Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

There are, like, two stages in the entirety of Smash that can be described as generic and without connection to any franchise besides itself. If it's not a direct tie in to Punch Out, then what on earth could it be?

I'm still kind of hoping it's a stylish new look for Final Destination, but unless those ropes aren't solid that just can't be the case.  Unless they're going to have several "simple" arenas to play on this time so competitive types have more variety.

Damn, now that I noticed it, those giant black circle shadows are kind of annoying me a little bit. I know it's not a big thing but can't the 3DS do shadows? Even if it's intentional why are they the same size even though both characters are vastly different in size.

I guess I should stop nitpicking and just accept it.

Game isn't finished dude.

Even Pit's model has improved considerably since we first saw it, so I've decided that it's not worth pointing out aesthetic niggles at this point in development.

Game isn't finished dude.

I'm still not too sure, since back during brawl's updates the game graphics wise was already done. The game's been in development for over a year and a half now, so would shadows really be the very last thing they work on? I know it's not top priority but they already have shadows done on the Wii-U. Understandably though, it's probably easier to do it on the Wii-U than 3DS.

Course you could be right and I'll be quiet since I don't want this meaningless thing to turn into an argument. I won't say anything more unless they're still there say by the end of the year or next year.

On the boxing stage, I really like it. It fits the style of the game and looks really cool to play on. Especially when the crowd starts cheering the characters' names.

I'm still not too sure, since back during brawl's updates the game graphics wise was already done. The game's been in development for over a year and a half now, so would shadows really be the very last thing they work on? I know it's not top priority but they already have shadows done on the Wii-U. Understandably though, it's probably easier to do it on the Wii-U than 3DS.

I think we started getting screens from Brawl much later in development than we have here.  And also if they are struggling to get good performance on the 3DS it actually would make sense to get unnecessary extras - like detailed shadows - done after getting the basic character models in a finalised state.

Of course it's entirely possible that the huge shadows are a deliberate design choice, so you can see your character's horizontal placement on the stage when airborne from a far distance (the same reasoning behind cel-shading).  Generally on handheld games everything needs to be made "bigger" to look good and clear.  Compare how close the camera is to the player in Mario 3D Land vs Mario Galaxy, or Mario Kart 7 vs Mario Kart Wii, etc.

Edited by JezMM

Nice pic of the day. That ball is either an item or a move from Wii Fit Trainer that drops and anyone can use. Cause we saw Mario use it in a screenshot.

Nice pic of the day. That ball is either an item or a move from Wii Fit Trainer that drops and anyone can use. Cause we saw Mario use it in a screenshot.

She uses it in one of the videos. You can see in the screen I posted that the Wii Fit logo is actually on the ball itself. I think it's safe to say it's one of her moves. 

She uses it in one of the videos. You can see in the screen I posted that the Wii Fit logo is actually on the ball itself. I think it's safe to say it's one of her moves. 

Good point. But does it fall eventually and anyone can use it like Warios bike that anyone can pick up? or is it a coincidence that on this screenshot Mario was jumping into it as if he was using it? (or was about to get hit :P)

screen-6.jpg

Pit never let go of his bow for anything in Brawl, so he may be sporting a new move based on that picture.

Pit never let go of his bow for anything in Brawl, so he may be sporting a new move based on that picture.

Wow didnt notice that, til you mentioned it! Maybe he does that everytime he uses another weap like the UpperDash Arm? or something entirely new?

EDIT: Nvm I saw it on slow-mo 3 times and it doesnt do that on his Upperdash arm move, (but maybe they added it lately)

Edited by dabbido

There was a soccer ball item in Brawl, it could just be that again.

Nope, Miiverse post specifically states it;s one of WFT's moves, it just remains active on the field for a short time like Wario's Bikes,Samus's Armor parts after her Final Smash or R.O.B.'s Gyro Disc.

Wow didnt notice that, til you mentioned it! Maybe he does that everytime he uses another weap like the UpperDash Arm? or something entirely new?

EDIT: Nvm I saw it on slow-mo 3 times and it doesnt do that on his Upperdash arm move, (but maybe they added it lately)

Maybe he will do what Yoshimitsu does in Tekken 6 and put away his weapon to do more traditional fist fighting?

I've thought about this being a Punch Out stage, and the colors seem to match, but you can't see any WVBA logos anywhere.

There are, like, two stages in the entirety of Smash that can be described as generic and without connection to any franchise besides itself. If it's not a direct tie in to Punch Out, then what on earth could it be?

Well, it's clearly NOT an actual Punch Out themed stage, because it's generally Smash Bros. themed and we'd be able to pinpoint exactly which Punch Out arena it was if it were one.

My thought is that the only thing that would ever make sense for Little Mac would be a boxing ring, but that's such a generic setting for a fight that they may have just decided to do their own Smash Bros. style ring instead of borrowing one.

I still think the boxing ring is a Punch Out stage. It makes no sense to make a boxing ring and have it be an original stage when there is a fresh, unrepresented, and well known Nintendo boxing series that people want to see in Smash, and if we do get Little Mac, having his home-stage not be labelled as a Punch Out stage would seem...odd.

Unfortunately, until it's origin is officially announced, it will remain as "That Boxing Ring Stage".

Edited by EarthwOrm Jim

Well, it's clearly NOT an actual Punch Out themed stage, because it's generally Smash Bros. themed and we'd be able to pinpoint exactly which Punch Out arena it was if it were one.

My thought is that the only thing that would ever make sense for Little Mac would be a boxing ring, but that's such a generic setting for a fight that they may have just decided to do their own Smash Bros. style ring instead of borrowing one.

Personally, I'll just be happy to see a Final Destination like stage minus the edge grabbing and etc. It's a nice change of pace if you ask me. Given, I would miss meteor striking people, but I feel a stage like the boxing arena is more about the skill because face it, we all killed ourselves by accident a few times in any stage XD

But I agree, the arena looks too "Smash Brothers Generic" to be themed off of an actual Ninty series

I dunno, the boxing rings in Punch-Out never really screamed iconic and original imo. Personally I think the stage would fit fine as a Punch-Out arena the moment you replace the Smash Bros logo in the arena with a WVBA logo from Punch-Out. Hell, the color scheme of the arena even matches up pretty well with the Major Circuit ring from Punch Out Wii with both the same rope color pattern and a similar shade of blue.

UV4O3mB.png

Edited by Panda Cero

There's something else I'd like to point out.

It occurred to me at one point that the stage might not actually be a boxing ring, but a wrestling ring, and that most people are just assuming that it's a boxing ring because they're thinking about Punch-Out.  So I did some Google searching to see what the differences between those two types of rings would be. 

As it turns out, the Smash stage doesn't fully match up with either.  The fact that the stage has four ropes suggests that it's a boxing ring, rather than a three roped wrestling ring.  But it doesn't have any of the extra details that would make it match up with an actual, standard boxing ring.  In fact, the structure of the ring actually matches up almost perfectly with the boxing rings from Super Punch-Out and Punch-Out Wii.

So, in other words, it looks just like a Punch-Out boxing ring, but isn't actually one of the rings from the Punch-Out games.

Now that I think about it, it COULD still be Punch-Out despite the Smash motif.  Think about it... the logo in the P-O arena is of the tournament from Punch-Out.  But Mario and co. aren't competing in a Punch-Out tournament, they're competing in Smash Bros.  So it has the Smash Bros logo.

Eh, just a theory anyway.  It'd be a similar thing to say, AC's stage being called Smashville rather than just "Village", or Pokémon Stadium displaying Smash fight information, fully aware that this is not a Pokémon Battle taking place here today.

The best theory I've seen is that this is meant to be a new circuit. Not the Minor, Major, or World Circuit, but instead, the Smash Circuit, which would make sense with the emblem in the middle of the stage and how it shares traits with the other circuit emblems (leaf ring, stars).

• Thumbs Up 2

Those who believe that the arena stage not being a 1:1 match to the source material of Punch Out means that Punch Out is not repped in Smash need to remember that the generic area that was Castle Siege represented the Fire Emblem series in Brawl.

• Thumbs Up 7

It could just this game's version of Final Destination

I'm inclined to believe that the stadium setting and general lack of being a floating platform contradict that idea.

I mean, the whole point of Final Destination is that it's a perfectly flat, floating platform.  This new stage has a raised ring platform, ring ropes, and what seems to be actual ground extending off in both directions.  I don't think it's as close to FD as a lot of other people think it is.

Dumb question, has this game not been shown at GC? I really want to see more gameplay of it. Don't care much for a new character reveal since I'm sure I know the main roster.