Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

I think Wii U can have up to 50gb discs while the Wii had 16gb with the double layered ones? Though there's also the 3DS version. Not sure how big the biggest carts are for that?

Sorry to go off topic, but does anyone want to have something akin to the Tekken Tunes mode from Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in this game? You would be able to put any song on any stage, use songs from a external storage device, and maybe even have some songs from the original 3 games as DLC.

I think Wii U can have up to 50gb discs while the Wii had 16gb with the double layered ones? Though there's also the 3DS version. Not sure how big the biggest carts are for that?

I am pretty sure the largest is 8 gigabytes.

The biggest 3DS carts are about half the size of the biggest Wii games. Keep in mind that SSB4's roster is limited to what the 3DS is capable of, but also keep in mind that it'll have far less cutscenes which took up about half of Brawl's disc-size.

It's semi-reasonable to expect 35-45 characters this time, not including transformations as usual. Personally I'm not expecting more than 40.

Taking the 3DS version into consideration I'm honestly expecting less characters than those in Brawl.

Sorry to go off topic, but does anyone want to have something akin to the Tekken Tunes mode from Tekken Tag Tournament 2 in this game? You would be able to put any song on any stage, use songs from a external storage device, and maybe even have some songs from the original 3 games as DLC.

I am pretty sure the largest is 8 gigabytes.

that's kinda sad, should be 32gb at the least given the size of the carts

Edit:

Shame the Wii U verison has to be "cut back" to be on par with the 3DS version which won't even cross play with the Wii U version to begin with

Edited by LunarEdge

The biggest 3DS carts are about half the size of the biggest Wii games. Keep in mind that SSB4's roster is limited to what the 3DS is capable of, but also keep in mind that it'll have far less cutscenes which took up about half of Brawl's disc-size.

It's semi-reasonable to expect 35-45 characters this time, not including transformations as usual. Personally I'm not expecting more than 40.

3DS carts can go up to 8GB. Just because someone hasn't utilized them yet doesn't mean they won't. Considering it's being developed by Nintendo, they will have access to these 8GB carts if they need too.

The 3DS also looks a bit worse graphically (spec wise, the art style seems to cover this) with lower res textures and lower poly models. Tied with the exclusion of cutscenes, I could see it being reasonable to have the same roster limit.

but also keep in mind that it'll have far less cutscenes which took up about half of Brawl's disc-size.

This honestly still blows my mind that they took up so much space.

As far as roster size goes, though, Sakurai said that 3DS limitations hadn't been a problem yet. Still, it's silly to expect anything much larger than what Brawl had.

Well, In one interview, Sakurai say they are having a hard time putting the Ice Climbers on the 3DS Version.

Well, In one interview, Sakurai say they are having a hard time putting the Ice Climbers on the 3DS Version.

The fact that he mentioned them at all pretty much cements their appearance in the game if you ask me. They're a mainstay now I think.

I can't see why Sakurai can't make the cross play limited to certain stages like Final Destination, Battle Field, and other stages that will be the same for both versions(maybe even Sector Z on 3DS while Wii U gets Corneria).

Yeah, I'm expecting 40ish, maximum, with maybe a minimum of 5 new characters replacing ones from Brawl as well.

The Ice Climbers thing is probably performance related rather than media size related. Nintendo, being masters of their domain, can squeeze every last drip of juice out of the Wii. If the 3DS is at all less powerful than that (see: DKCR's poorer framerate), and Brawl did squeeze every bit of juice out, I can see the Ice Climbers being a problem. Imagine a 4 on 4 match, that's eight character models interacting and jumping around. Add items and stage hazards and hoo boy.

This honestly still blows my mind that they took up so much space.

Well, you just have to remember what video files are, sequences of images. If the cut-scenes were 30 FPS that's about 108,000 images for the game's hour or so of cut-scenes, plus soundtrack. Smash's cut-scenes were high quality too, space-saving artefacts were barely noticable, so yeah. But yeah, solid, self-contained sequences that don't make use of the game's readily available assets always take up a lot of space as a result.

Edited by JezMM
  • Thumbs Up 2

Did he really mention them? I recall him mentioning multiple people characters and people assuming he meant them or Olimar(I recall some being nervous he wouldn't return here..)

There's no cross-play, I'm guessing because the consoles are so fundamentally different and the game speeds and yadda yadda.

The connection between the games is for item trading or something, and the reason for limiting the Wii U's roster is so both versions of the game can be as close to the full experience as possible (like he doesn't want 3DS owners missing out)

I think it would be reasonable to see the 3DS version with 40 or more characters. I mean Tekken 3D: Prime Edition had all the characters from Tekken 6(41), 17 stages(4 of them have 5 different variations and one has two variations, so 34 stages in total), and over 700 cards with pieces of art on them.

It wouldn't be to far fetched to see most of brawls cast return in addition to the new comers, right? Right?

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah I think a lot of us underestimate the 3DS' capabilities. Which is fair enough, with Smash Bros the hype goes beyond high so we kinda have to consciously pace ourselves so we can be pleasantly surprised but also slightly disappointed all at once.

We have faith in Sakurai whilst also worrying about certain outcomes. SSB is just that big a deal I guess.

There's no cross-play, I'm guessing because the consoles are so fundamentally different and the game speeds and yadda yadda.

The connection between the games is for item trading or something, and the reason for limiting the Wii U's roster is so both versions of the game can be as close to the full experience as possible (like he doesn't want 3DS owners missing out)

Cross play was possible with the Wii and DS so I can't see why the Wii U and 3DS can't pull it off. Playing Crystal Chronicles between the DS and Wii was seamless if you ask me, I don't see why Nintendo can't make something work in terms of crossplay. Given, it won't kill me if it doesn't happen (which it won't) but it would also be awesome as all hell if they pulled of cross play. As far as I know the games are suppose to play the same (if not roughly the same) only difference being stages and cosmetics

How would cross play even work when the games don't even have many stages in common? Even Battlefield is different in both versions. 

The difference here is clear as day though, the Wii version of EoT was really clearly a DS game running on Wii hardware, it was developed for Crossplay from point one, as was PlayStation All Stars which took its toll on the visuals of the PS3 version. Unless the engines are pretty much identical, cross play is very difficult to achieve to any satisfactory level.

It only takes a few looks at SSB for Wii U and 3DS to see they're running very different engines. They want to really make the most of their respective platforms, and with a crossplay game that's impossible. It affects the quality of both.

The difference here is clear as day though, the Wii version of EoT was really clearly a DS game running on Wii hardware, it was developed for Crossplay from point one, as was PlayStation All Stars which took its toll on the visuals of the PS3 version. Unless the engines are pretty much identical, cross play is very difficult to achieve to any satisfactory level.

It only takes a few looks at SSB for Wii U and 3DS to see they're running very different engines. They want to really make the most of their respective platforms, and with a crossplay game that's impossible. It affects the quality of both.

fair enough point, no argument here

I have to say in games generally I've always been more interested in playspaces over characters and modes etc so I'm glad they don't have crossplay so we can have twice as many stages between the two versions.

I have to say in games generally I've always been more interested in playspaces over characters and modes etc so I'm glad they don't have crossplay so we can have twice as many stages between the two versions.

^^

This, there are loads of characters in brawl and after finding a handful that I can use to decent enough standard I hardly touch the rest, feels like an awful shame whenever I play (not really the devs fault though, just a silly little feeling I get iccasionally). So I LOVE having a variety if stages to fight on!

bdt7jc.jpg

Damn, now that I noticed it, those giant black circle shadows are kind of annoying me a little bit. I know it's not a big thing but can't the 3DS do shadows? Even if it's intentional why are they the same size even though both characters are vastly different in size.

I guess I should stop nitpicking and just accept it.

A nice shot of Pit and the Wii Fit Trainer using her soccer football move.

v5kefb.jpg

Love the character models.

His wings are pretty well-hidden here.

Edited by Solly

I peeked in to see if there was a chance of posting the new picture before you, Solly.  The answer was no.tongue.png

Every time I see that boxing arena stage, I find myself wondering if it actually could somehow be related to Little Mac, like I've seen many people assume.  Still not sure.

I peeked in to see if there was a chance of posting the new picture before you, Solly.  The answer was no.tongue.png

Every time I see that boxing arena stage, I find myself wondering if it actually could somehow be related to Little Mac, like I've seen many people assume.  Still not sure.

Hey, I'm up at this hours so why not? :V

I've thought about this being a Punch Out stage, and the colors seem to match, but you can't see any WVBA logos anywhere.