Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

On one hand, it's basically Battlefield with no middle platform. On the other, at least it's not another fucking "harmful substance floods the stage at regular intervals" Metroid stage.

If nothing else, this at least confirms we'll get to hear another kickass Ridley theme remix.

EDIT: Oh, so Sakurai basically confirmed a Ridley stage hazard. I'm cool with that.

Edited by Blacklightning

On the day of the Luigi reveal we got a red herring picture of Kirby and Olimar. I feel like this is similar.

Nintendo's got a Gamescom conference today. Watch a Smash Bros. trailer be there during the event, and Ridley is the OMGNDJNGFRJ factor for it to go alongside the Metroid stage. He would certainly "appear at any second" then.

Edited by Joshua

Oooh very pretty. I wonder if that lava is a stage hazard. 

EDIT: Sakurai's message:Out of the blue, here's a new stage--the Pyrosphere from Metroid: Other M! An enemy from Samus's past may appear at any second…

There goes a certain reptilian's chances of getting in.....

That sounds very ambiguous to me. Let's not forget the Ness 'Up until now' debacle from Brawl.

Edited by w00tkins

On the day of the Luigi reveal we got a red herring picture of Kirby and Olimar. I feel like this is similar.

Nintendo's got a Gamescom conference today. Watch a Smash Bros. trailer be there during the event, and Ridley is the OMGNDJNGFRJ factor for it to go alongside the Metroid stage. He would certainly "appear at any second" then.

Please don't do this to me man...I can't risk getting hyped for nothing.

On one hand it makes sense, and I'd fucking kill for Ridley playable in Smash.

But on the other hand......that means we'll get this design

20100925182819!Ridley_mom.png

As long as Samus's stupid emotions from Other M don't transfer over as well, I'm fine with Other M content in the game. Stage looks cool at least. 

Wow! neat! these are the pics that are awesome to see! without the old Dojo update per day, these are the only ones to keep us informed. However as awesome as this stage is, by one of Samus enemies from the past, Im pretty sure he means Ridley, as a stage hazard. but this certainly will smash the hopes for everyone wishing for Ridley as playable. I for one wanted him to appear, although not as badly as many others were, but I guess the next best thing would be him in a stage regularly. Or Assist. 

EDIT: Not to mention that the arena is exactly where she fought him.

pyrosphere_zps1ec53bfd.jpg

Edited by dabbido

Cool looking stage, at least it's not another ZOMG RISING LIQUID! stage. I hate those.

He's too big.

Then scale him down like Bowser. Isn't Bowser supposed to be five times bigger than Mario? =P

Then scale him down like Bowser. Isn't Bowser supposed to be five times bigger than Mario? =P

I was only jokin', :P but, to be fair, Bowser's size is very erratic across the Mario series.

And to be even more fair, Ridley is Samus' size in the original Metroid.

• Thumbs Up 1

A shame too because playable Ridley would be awesome~ I guess it's never going to happen. Wonder what remixes there will be in the stage since most of Other M's soundtrack is quite forgettable.

Why are you all talking about Ridleys sizes as if it was confirmed he was playable tongue.png If anything this just proves hes a stage hazard, the arena is the one where she fought him, so by any chances I dont know how "An enemy from Samus past makes an appereance in this stage" can be translated to "Ridley is a playable character"  Not to be a party pooper, Id LOVE that to happen. I just doubt it, specially with his statement. :/

EDIT: Nvm XD

Edited by dabbido

Wonder what remixes there will be in the stage since most of Other M's soundtrack is quite forgettable.

If I could hazard a guess:

- Vs. Rundas

- Ridley theme

- Medley of the themes of the 4 sectors of the Bottle Ship

- A combination of Adam's Resolve and Final Mission Resolve

- And just for the sake of ironic placement ala Halberd's Forest stage music, the Piano Medley used as the second menu theme in Other M.

That's my guess as far as post-Brawl music goes, with the Rundas theme being there because MP3 had no music in Brawl.

Dark Samus theme please, and the Metroid Primes Armor theme from the first game, some of my favorite boss tunes.

And to be even more fair, Ridley is Samus' size in the original Metroid.

Bowser was Mario's size in the original Super Mario Bros, but I don't think anyone's gonna deny that wouldn't look right in Smash Bros.

I think one important thing people ignore a lot when comparing shrinking Ridley to shrinking Bowser is the shape of the characters.

Bowser4.pngRidley_zerom.jpg

Bowser, like Olimar and Kirby, is somewhat stocky. He's basically a big blob on the screen, so the artists have a bit of leniency with how much they can shift his size before it starts to look unnatural.

Ridley, on the other hand, is quite gangly. He's got a long, narrow face, a skinny tail, and thin limbs. Were they to keep the character's proportions consistent with the game art, but shrink him down to a playable size, certain parts of his body would look too small. I'm not going to say making him a convincing playable character is impossible, because they could make it work, but I think it's far less simple than just making him smaller.

Of course, there is one Ridley design that's a bit beefier than the others.

20100925182819!Ridley_mom.png

Nngghh.

Dark Samus theme please, and the Metroid Primes Armor theme from the first game, some of my favorite boss tunes.

Agreed. I hope they put those in! Also, cant wait to see the Ridley hazard thing on action!!! if its where Samus fought him, its basically like a regular stage mixed with a mini-boss battle. So I believe Sakurai will do him justice.

A fave of mine I'd love to hear remixed is Emperor Ing's second theme.  Really great final boss tune.  Remix would be awesome.  Either Metroid Prime Battle theme would be awesome in Smash untouched too.

Hey guys, what's-

*Other M stage*

tumblr_inline_mm0ferQU401qz4rgp.gif

I need to go wash my brain out, be back later.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Y'know, there is a giant flow of lava on the wall in the background.  There could possibly still be rising killer liquid playing a part.

Y'know, there is a giant flow of lava on the wall in the background.  There could possibly still be rising killer liquid playing a part.

maybe it will burn away the background and reveal that we're actually playing a stage based on a good game

• Thumbs Up 2

maybe it will burn away the background and reveal that we're actually playing a stage based on a good game

Where the stage came from is irrelevant.  Whether or not the stage is enjoyable to play on as well as the sort of atmosphere it offers is all that matters.  Most Metroid stages throughout the Smash Bros series have been garbage.

• Thumbs Up 1

Where the stage came from is irrelevant. 

...not if you're a Metroid fan? I don't really want to be reminded of the worst game in the series every time I want to play a Metroid stage.

Edited by Sixth-Rate Soma

Hey guys, what's-

*Other M stage*

tumblr_inline_mm0ferQU401qz4rgp.gif

I need to go wash my brain out, be back later.

... You know, Soma, going by this line of logic, you're... kinda justifying the notion that one should wholesale dismiss Sonic Generations because one of its levels came from a generally panned game, even though it was actually executed greatly.

• Thumbs Up 8