Awoo.

Super Smash Bros. for Wii U/3DS - Settle It In Smash!

Nintendoga

IIRC Mewtwo was going to be in Brawl along side Lucario so i don't see any reasion for only one of them to show up in SSB4 also both of them are fairly popular in japan and both can Mega Evolve in gen VI also with Jigglypuff being part Fairy type now, maybe she'll receive a moveset change to reflect it's new typing.

Seeing how Melee and Brawl had 4 Pokemon reps, WiiU/3DS will no doubt follow suit, since we already got Pikachu i believe the remaining 3 with be...

Jigglypuff with a revamped moveset and some Fairy type moves

Mewtwo/MegaMewtwo(Down B to transform)

Lucario/MegaLucario(Down B to transform)

Thing is, Mewtwo and Lucario are already pretty similar in their controls. It'd be no different from Ganondorf and Captain Falcon in Brawl, yes, but unless you radically change one or the other, you may as well swap Lucario for Mewtwo. 

I die a little inside every time someone says something like this because I fail to see where this notion has even come from.  They don't share a single animation, their entire sets of normal and special moves are different barring Neutral B (which again, have different animations).  They don't even have the same minor animations like item or ledge grabs (Mewtwo most notably holds his items with his mind so they float just in front of him).  The way you approach the characters is completely different as well.  It seriously boggles my mind as to how people manage to come to this conclusion.  

• Thumbs Up 2

Well, there would also be a ton of Pokemon in the game.

Jigglypuff

Pikachu

Mewtwo

Lucario

Ivysaur

Squirtle

Charizard

why

To be fair, the latter three are all grouped under the Pokemon Trainer as one character.

The notion came because Lucario is widely seen as Mewtwo's replacement, so people see similarities where there are none because they imagined a moveset was carried over to a more relevant Pokémon.

And yes, Mewtwo was planned for Brawl, so that coupled with Mewtwo's big marketing push for XY are why I think his return is pretty likely.. and also why I think the 4-rep limit is not as absolute as one might argue.

There's also the factor that XY doesn't have its own 'unofficial mascot' non-legendary like Lucario and Zoroak were for their respective gens.

As well, this game's engine is directly built upon the Brawl engine, so that would make re-implementing returning characters much easier, aside from making various modifications. I wouldn't be surprised if both Lucario and Mewtwo made it in, since the former could be ported over and then modified, I imagine.

Doesn't mean it should get over-represented.

But at the same time, by XY there will be over 800 Pokemon, a good number have a good amount of popularity and just as good a number have the potential for interesting move sets. When you think about it in the grand scheme of the series, 7 reps isn't too many especially when they're all pretty popular. Edited by SiLeNtDo0m

9 reps is a hell of a lot for one series, no matter how much variety it has. I'd rather not have a fifth of the characters be pokemon.

e: 7 is still quite a lot

Edited by Diogenes
  • Thumbs Up 1

I mis-typed. Meant to say 7 (and assuming the Trainer Pokes remain with the trainer it's essentially 5).

But at the same time, by XY there will be over 800 Pokemon, a good number have a good amount of popularity and just as good a number have the potential for interesting move sets. When you think about it in the grand scheme of the series, 9 reps isn't too many especially when they're all pretty popular.

But it does take up a whole lot of spots on a presumably no bigger then 45 roster, which could be used for reps from other franchises. 6 is a good max limit for Pokemon I think: 3 Pokemon under a trainer, Pikachu, Lucario and Mewtwo. Hell, I'd be okay with no trainer and just the three (Pikachu, Lucario and Mewtwo) on their own.

(and assuming the Trainer Pokes remain with the trainer it's essentially 5).

Pokemon Trainer is still basically 3 characters even if you have to switch after a while.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I think the best way to look at the Pokemon Trainer would be as a single character with three fighting styles, rather than three separate characters who are stuck together.

Except there are literally 3 characters.

technicly four including the trainer

• Thumbs Up 1

Except there are literally 3 characters.

Yes.  Obviously.  Thanks for that.

My point is that the function of those three characters is to be swappable fighting styles, rather than stand alone characters.  All I'm saying is that counting them separately and saying Pokemon would have seven characters isn't quite accurate.

Edited by G-Force

Pokemon is Nintendo's second flagship series, and certainly their most well-known and profitable by a country mile. To not have the same number of reps as the Mario and Zelda series would be odd, let alone have less than them.

Too bad the Pokemon Ranger series never got superstar popularity. Smash could have cut corners and have a Pokemon Ranger as a character and let him/her use a different Pokemon for each and every move. Animations with Pokemon suddenly appearing out of Hammerspace would have been hilarious, but hey, there's 30 or so Pokemon easily featured.

• Thumbs Up 1

technicly four including the trainer

I was talking about fighters, spots on the roster. The trainer just stands in the background and animates a bit.

Yes.  Obviously.  Thanks for that.

My point is that the function of those three characters is to be swappable fighting styles, rather than stand alone characters.  All I'm saying is that counting them separately and saying Pokemon would have seven characters isn't quite accurate.

They've got completely different models, completely different animations, completely different moves, etc etc. About the same amount of time went into making any one of them as for any other character. There's no reason to prefer the viewpoint that it's one guy with 3 fighting styles as opposed to what they actually are.

Zelda/Sheik is two characters. Samus/ZSS is two characters. Pokemon trainer is three characters.

• Thumbs Up 7

I thought we were talking about "characters" in a different sense, and failed to realize you were making a point about development resources.  In terms of resources, yes it almost is building three separate characters.

Good riddance, Zero Suit scum!   mOmBivf.jpg
Not necessarily. Luigi's reveal and the picture of the day had no association with each other for example (although he was revealed in a direct). Not sure about Olimar. Still, until the day nears to a closer can't debunk it yet. Also what's wrong with Zero Suit Samus? She was a great character in Brawl.

Not necessarily. Luigi's reveal and the picture of the day had no association with each other for example (although he was revealed in a direct). Not sure about Olimar. Still, until the day nears to a closer can't debunk it yet. Also what's wrong with Zero Suit Samus? She was a great character in Brawl.

I think he means it more in the sense that the rumor looks like it holds no water now.

I'll stick the rest of the day out to make sure, but I'm not expecting anything either.

There probably is merit that, given SEGA and Nintendo's close partnership and the prior reveal of characters in line with new titles of theirs, that Sonic will be released on a date relevant to Lost World's own.

As for the rest, would be nice, but you know how this goes.

Guys I'm not sure what the big dealeo is with Pokémon getting more reps. Pokémon is probably the most successful gaming franchise of all time besides Mario, and Mario had 8 reps in Brawl, it's probably going to get more in SSB4 too. Mario is so popular that Wario, DK, and Yoshi split off into their own series', but what if Pokémon did that? Would it still not be allowed to break the 4-limit? And if not, why is it ok for Mario to do so?

I know not everyone loves Pokémon, but a lot of people do, just like not everyone loves Mario and a lot of people do.

Genuinely don't see the problem in having more Pokémon reps, it's a ridiculously successful and widely-liked series, and deserves just as much respect within the game as Mario does. For a little context, Mario franchise has sold ~450 mil in 32 years, wheras Pokémon has sold ~220mil in around half that time, even considering Nintendo's toughest moments.

I'm expecting Zelda to break the 4-limit and Mario will almost definitely have above 8 now (Dixie Kong sounds like an obvious addition considering she was almost in Brawl) so I'm not sure why Pokémon of all series' can't reach new heights.

(Also shame to see no ZSS today, I won't hold out much hope for later seeing as there's no N-Direct or anything

On the other hand it's good to have some sort of confirmation that the Reset Bomb stage will be a transforming one.)

Edited by SuperLink

Pokemon already has a retarded amount of exposition just by way of Pokeballs and their spawned assists. I don't think it'll hurt them and their fans any if they cut back on playables a bit, or at least cycle out what we already have ala Mewtwo/Lucario.

Edited by Blacklightning
  • Thumbs Up 1

Pokemon already has a retarded amount of exposition just by way of Pokeballs and their spawned assists. I don't think it'll hurt them and their fans any if they cut back on playables a bit, or at least cycle out what we already have ala Mewtwo/Lucario.

It's not like the Pokéballs are replacing anything else though I don't see how anyone can dislike it.

And it's not like Mario has any item shortage whatsoever whereas Pokémon literally only has Pokéballs with different stuff inside. Mario also typically gets 3 or more stages and.. yeah, Pokémon having an extra character or two wouldn't hurt anyone.

Edited by SuperLink