Awoo.

Sonic Lost World - Previews

Carbo

I'm looking forward to what new Wisps they will be putting in.

Hopefully, they don't actually look exactly the same as in Colors...IMO they fit the best in the Colors aesthetic.

The Spike Wisp controls significantly worse in Generations. In Colors it's basically like playing Sonic with the ability to scale walls, but when using it as Classic Sonic he's sluggish and unwieldy.

Modern Sonic getting the most throwaway Wisp of them all was just salt in the wound.

Obviously how the functioned and how they were implemented in the level design was no different at all, that's why nearly everyone hated them in Gens while they're were seen as mostly tolerable in Colors, right?

Whatever differences there were I did not notice them or found them rather negligible. I'm not talking about level design I'm talking about how the Wisps function at their core. This is all tangential to my core point anyway. :\

I don't like the Wisps. I never did. I personally found that they were boring and redundant in Colors and I can only hope that there are a multitude of improvements made in Lost World to compensate. I'm not liking the idea of gimmicky GamePad touch screen stuff either.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why adding the Wisps is even necessary at all considering the vast amount of changes to the core gameplay already present. They can only really benefit the game if they're used in creative and interesting ways. If how they were in Colors is any indication then I have no reason to look forward to them. Simple as that.

Edited by Chooch
  • Thumbs Up 1

Whatever differences there were I did not notice them or found them rather negligible. I'm not talking about level design I'm talking about how the Wisps function at their core. This is all tangential to my core point anyway. :\

I don't like the Wisps. I never did. I personally found that they were boring and redundant in Colors and I can only hope that there are a multitude of improvements made in Lost World to compensate. I'm not liking the idea of gimmicky GamePad touch screen stuff either.

Honestly, I'm not even sure why adding the Wisps is even necessary considering the vast amount of changes to the core game already present. They can only really benefit the game if they're used in creative and interesting ways and if how they were in Colors is any indication then I have no reason to look forward to them. Simple as that.

Judging from the screenshots, it doesn't seem as if the Wisps are as vital to the experience as they were for Colours. 

Judging from the screenshots, it doesn't seem as if the Wisps are as vital to the experience as they were for Colours.

I sure as hell hope not.

I just got caught up with all the new info on this game, and that running with the triggers set up they have going sounds fuckin' awesome. And the parkour moves look sweet as hell too.

Then they confirm Wisps. Hopefully they are optional for completing levels, or minimally used at most. And if they have to be used, implement them better than Generations.

Edited by D-Metal X

Which once again brings into question why they are even present.

If they're getting downplayed that considerably and there are a multitude of new and interesting changes to the modern Sonic formula coming completely outside of Wisps then.. what's the point exactly? Just a reason to use the GamePad screen?

Edited by Chooch

Which once again brings into question why they are even present.

If they're getting downplayed that considerably and there are a multitude of new and interesting changes to the modern Sonic formula coming completely outside of Wisps then.. what's the point exactly? Just a reason to use the GamePad screen?

Extra content? New stuff? Legitimate gameplay variety? Improving on a gimmick that most people liked? Introducing a consistent element to the games???

Edited by Soniman
  • Thumbs Up 7

Powerups, like Mario. Adds some variety and new challenges.

• Thumbs Up 9

Instead of using the game pad for the wisps, I think it would be pretty awesome to have to play the 2D sections (or boss races, if there are any) on there. 

Eh.. I'd argue that power ups are a pretty significant part of the Mario experience. It doesn't seem like the Wisps are to their level at all at this point. It's just weird.

I don't really feel like debating it anymore, so I guess I'll bow out of this discussion for now.

Why not allow Sonic to learn different Parkour moves and use different contraptions as one progresses through the game which can then allow him to backtrack to past levels to scale them in different ways? If this whole game was completely based around Sonic's movement as it is now, as well as the potential it actually holds, I don't think anyone would've minded. That, in and of itself, is inherently fun too. If we're going to have returning power-ups, it would be much better not to copy them wholesale from a game with a different game design. I'm not enthused to to bounce around crystals or use a cube to switch shit in the midst of my awesome Parkour action, yo.

• Thumbs Up 4

Which is why they used the term "new and improved", I highly doubt it's gonna be some copy/paste job where all the power ups function exactly how they were.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stupid question: What are these "Parkour Moves" everybody keeps talking about?

I don't mind that the Wisps are back. So long as there's a good explanation to why they're back and they aren't overused in levels like they were in Generations then I'm fine with them being there. And like Dio said, they are basically Power Ups for Sonic. You won't have to use them ALL the time in SLW because unlike Colours they aren't the main gimmick in this game.

• Thumbs Up 4

Which is why they used the term "new and improved", I highly doubt it's gonna be some copy/paste job where all the power ups function exactly how they were.

I have absolutely no faith in the idea that "new and improved" will be anything more than some new powers under the same old system of excessive specialization for a single task that you'll see a million times throughout the game. "Optional" or not, Wisps need a wider variety of uses in different contexts in order to be better than what they were in either Colors or Gens if I'm going to start liking them. If I'm wrong on this front, then great; the game will actually be better for it.

Stupid question: What are these "Parkour Moves" everybody keeps talking about?

Manual wall-running, climbing up ledges, and jumping over objects as you run.

• Thumbs Up 3

Eh.. I'd argue that power ups are a pretty significant part of the Mario experience. It doesn't seem like the Wisps are to their level at all at this point. It's just weird.

Well it's not like we've even seen them in action in this game. And in the Galaxies, some levels are focused on powerups, some have none, some have you use powerups only for part of the level...it varies a lot.
  • Thumbs Up 1

I don't really feel like debating it anymore, so I guess I'll bow out of this discussion for now.

In all fairness, Mario's power-ups were just as "devoid of context" in the Galaxy games as in Sonic Colors, if not more. Fire flowers and Ice flowers were pretty much only used for the sake of puzzles and were timed. Every other power up was tailored for specific levels.

I find it hard to say that Colors doesn't measure up similarly because all of them require some context of using and aren't just use-to-win. Even Laser has some clever moments of usage which require timing, positioning and proper line-up.

It can be done a lot better but I think the value of the Wisps are a bit underplayed. If nothing else they provide alternate means of approaching puzzles and still require thoughtful input, and while I do agree that Cube is slow and that Rocket could see better usage, this is all stuff that can easily be improved and holds a lot of promise. If anything this game seems to sell itself on Sonic's new moveset in the level design, and the Wisps could be a welcome optional decision that aren't as much of a focus here as they were in Colors, but are still built around them to an extent that they don't just come out of nowhere like they did in Generations.

• Thumbs Up 5

I don't mind that the Wisps are back. So long as there's a good explanation to why they're back and they aren't overused in levels like they were in Generations then I'm fine with them being there. And like Dio said, they are basically Power Ups for Sonic. You won't have to use them ALL the time in SLW because unlike Colours they aren't the main gimmick in this game.

Sorry to stray a little off topic here, but at the same time... maybe not so off topic lol. Where did you get that profile picture of the green guardian? It's drawn, and looks cool. But it ALSO kinda tells me that theres more info than I thought on the game lol unless someone already made some fan art.

Please let there be actual footage, with discernible music.

I'm dying to hear the sound direction for this zany planetoid-hopping game.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yessss! I can't wait to see more of this. X3 Looking forward to dat 3DS gameplay, hope it's cool!

Sorry to stray a little off topic here, but at the same time... maybe not so off topic lol. Where did you get that profile picture of the green guardian? It's drawn, and looks cool. But it ALSO kinda tells me that theres more info than I thought on the game lol unless someone already made some fan art

From DeviantART. Don't remember who the artist is though. D:

Yessss! I can't wait to see more of this. X3 Looking forward to dat 3DS gameplay, hope it's cool!

From DeviantART. Don't remember who the artist is though. D:

I know this for a fact because I'm promoting DevART pics in my displays, if you save an image the file name is usually the images name followed by a "_" and then "by_*username here*". look at the filename, that should give you a jog of memory.

For example, when I saved my image here it was named "zero_by_m_zoner-d67ni4n.jpg" when you copy/paste that into google this image comes up:

http://fav.me/d67ni4n

Edited by goku262002

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but there are some details from SEGA themselves at http://www.sega.com/Source/Wireframes/GamesPage.aspx?pageid=5657&LangType=1033

The important stuff:

Wii U EXCLUSIVE FEATURES:

•  
  • Wield the Wii U GamePad to execute exclusive Color Powers – tilt, touch, aim and more.
  •  
  • Someone wants to watch TV? No problem! Play the full game using only the Wii U GamePad screen.
  •  
  • Share and charge up items by sending them into the Miiverse to share with players around the world.
  •  
  • Play together. Have a friend pilot radio controlled gadgets to help Sonic by destroying enemies and obstacles.
  •  
  • Race against a friend as you play on the Wii U GamePad screen and they play on the TV.
  •  

NINTENDO 3DS EXCLUSIVE FEATURES: 

•  
  • The first handheld Sonic game ever to feature fully realized 3D levels.
  •  
  • Unleash Color Powers exclusive to the Nintendo 3DS version.
  •  
  • Exclusive Special Stages! Tilt using the Motion Sensor to navigate hair-raising levels and obtain the elusive Chaos Emeralds.
  •  
  • Create and customize radio controlled gadgets to help Sonic.
  •  
  • Race against friends through local and online game modes.
  •  

PLUS: Share your gadgets between the Wii U and Nintendo 3DS versions.

Edited by ViniciusLC

I am still hoping for other playable characters in Multiplayer, I mean they can do it with the storybook games, why cant they do something even better with this!