Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

Our first trailer for Unleashed was actually a short Savannah Citadel showcase, revealed/leaked right after people started flipping out and declaring Unleashed a hoax (:3c) when it was leaked from some unknown forum. Although it was a gameplay trailer, it didn't elaborate on much anyway.

That's more or less how each and every teaser/first trailer for the mainstream/"canon" Sonic games has done it starting with Unleashed.

This was the announcement trailer for Unleashed:

The Werehog one with Sonic juggling a ring around was the third trailer, or fourth if you count the leaked one that was like the announcment trailer, but with different footage and no Windmill Isle). Before that we got http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbGJkJXGPYA.

Edited by Blue Blood

I'm really hoping its a gameplay trailer that we get. Seeing some next-gen Sonic footage is going to be amazing, especially since its gonna be the best of the Hedgehog Engine's capabilities but even better, I'm sure. Besides, if it is different gameplay (which I'm not putting bets on), it'd only make sense to showcase what's new on reveal.

• Thumbs Up 6

How do if we know they are gonna keep using the Hedgehog engine actually?

So, something I found a little funny about the world map here. Notice how from right to left we can see a grass/forest area, firey/volcano area, an ice area, and a rocky area, all adjacent to each other. And being the little handheld fag I am, I kinda notice a cute little similarity:

76558-sonic-advance-2-game-boy-advance-s

They're in the same order as Leaf Forest, Hot Crater, Ice Paradise, and Sky Canyon viewed from behind. Plus, the hexagonal shape of the fragments are remniscent of the Techno Base area.

Could a Music Plant esque area be hiding in the areas of the world we can't see? Most definitely
Sonic Advance 4 confirmed? Obviously
Is this just a mere coincidence that has zero relevence? lolno

We'll keep you updated on this gripping story, and remember that you heard it first here at totallynotasatyrofacertainnewssite

Edited by Panda Cero
  • Thumbs Up 8

I think they're gonna keep using it due to the fact that they were only able to use some of it's power on the 7th gen consoles, and now they'll probably have the ability to use all of it, depending on the Wii U's power. If that's the case then we should have even better lighting and hopefully 60fps at all times.

I think they're gonna keep using it due to the fact that they were only able to use some of it's power on the 7th gen consoles, and now they'll probably have the ability to use all of it, depending on the Wii U's power. If that's the case then we should have even better lighting and hopefully 60fps at all times.

"Some of it's power"

Let us not forget how poorly refined that power is. I expect they'll be using it though.

• Thumbs Up 3

Considering they spent a good several years crafting it (2004-2008, IIRC?), it still looks impressive today (seriously, say what you want about Unleashed, but it was probably one of the top 5 best looking games of last gen), and it still has untapped potential that people are continuously cracking into today (see: the Generations hacking community).

There's no reason to believe they'd ditch it, even if at this point it'd practically be the Hedgehog Engine 2.0. The results it gives in replicating complex lighting and shading is more astounding than most any others I've seen. And honestly, you'd expect that from a guy who now leads a part of Square flippin' Enix. tongue.png

Edited by Azookara

Oh word. I WANT SIXTY FRAMES>

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about framerates? I mean, as long as it's a steady 30ish I'm fine. I barely notice a difference between 30 and 60 and not having the latter has never done the least bit of harm to my enjoyment of a game.
  • Thumbs Up 1

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about framerates? I mean, as long as it's a steady 30ish I'm fine. I barely notice a difference between 30 and 60 and not having the latter has never done the least bit of harm to my enjoyment of a game.

It would look smoother, and sometimes an extra frame or two can make a huge difference, especially in a speed orientated platformer like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 6

As much as I'd like that, I would be perfectly fine with having a consistent 30FPS. Those slowdowns in stages like Jungle Joyride and Eggmanland (to an extent) really bum me out.

that's four words actually...

Derpitty derp.

Edited by Soniman

That obviously wasn't meant to specify how many words would be said, stop trying to be clever Soni >:UUU

I just want the next game to be as smooth as this.

plz sega

I don't think they'll be able to get the HE to 60FPS on the U hardware. Well, Unleashed PS3 was a very unsteady 60, but... won't get my hopes up.

Probably, yeah. On the surface everything is smoother and overall nicer to look at (I can't believe you can't see the difference). Deeper down, 60FPS especially helps when a game is moving quickly as the players input is more precise. Have you ever played Generations on consoles and PC in quick succession? The difference is immense. Generations on PC feels like it controls better simply because of the improved framerate (and this has nothing to with the resolution since I had to run it at a really low one).

• Thumbs Up 1

Framerate can make a pretty big difference in experience really. The game runs a lot smoother and less stiff. Tell me that vid Inferno posted doesn't look better than the actual Jungle Joyride.

As much as I'd like that, I would be perfectly fine with having a consistent 30FPS. Those slowdowns in stages like Jungle Joyride and Eggmanland (to an extent) really bum me out.

Why shoot for 30 when we can have 60? If Mario Galaxy, a game that came out six years ago, can have a consistent 60 frames, there's no reason Sonic can't.

that's four words actually...

I said "Oh word" not "one word" xD

You know that Youtube only runs 30 FPS videos, right?

Yes.

See the thing is though, the framerate was a whole lot more consistant than the PS360 version, which would often dip below 10fps during the jungle parts.

Framerate can make a pretty big difference in experience really. The game runs a lot smoother and less stiff. Tell me that vid Inferno posted doesn't look better than the actual Jungle Joyride.

Not really.

Yes, but the video was recorded at 60FPS and the frames have been blended together to make 30FPS with the illusion of 60. By comparison, a standard 30FPS video is a lot less smooth.

@ Dio: Please compare the above video and the one Inferno posted.

Edited by Blue Blood
  • Thumbs Up 4

Yeah, though the uploader used some kind of frame blending technique to make it look smoother, as if it was 60fps, and I just posted it as a visual example.

Edit: ninja'd.

Edited by Inferno

Still not seeing any difference worth caring about.

Then I really don't know what to say other than that I think you're simply wrong about this. If you've got any PC games where you can adjust the framerate manually I suggest you try it out and say which is better. If 60FPS didn't make such a big difference, it wouldn't be touted as a selling point in games that support it. 

• Thumbs Up 9

In terms of the NSMB trope/look comparisons, I can sort of see it from the ONE screen we have.........but there could be way more to these areas then we can see from here. There could be a futuristic city in the green area, a factory in the ice area, you know? We can't really judge this world because we can barely see any of it. 

Not to mention all the interesting things they could do with these "Mario" tropes, the fact that some of these tropes are less common for Sonic such as the lava one (We've only seen it in Lava Reef, Hot Crater, Red Mountain, and Flame Core), and the fact that It'll probably look way more vibrant then NSMB can ever hope to be (possibly excluding U but I still think it'll be more vibrant then even that, look at the beauty of Unleashed and Generations).

Edited by Generations (Chaos Warp)