Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

This is debatable seeing as how these same characters were completely unplayable in Generations and hardly did squat but cheer you on and talk about homing shots and the critics still complained about the characters simply for being around.

Or it's because standing around and cheering you on is both pointless and annoying. So the characters went from one kind of annoying to another kind of annoying. They've got a bad stigma attached to them now and it'll take more than just them not being suckish to make people like them.

EDIT: Ran out of +rep, but SuperLink's post is so very, very true.

Edited by Blue Blood

There are only two cats compared to four(five if you wanna count Metal) hedgehogs.

Really doubt there are a lot of cats.

Make that three:

Honey the Cat

Honey_the_cat.png

She counts as an official character right?

Or it's because standing around and cheering you on is both pointless and annoying. So the characters went from one kind of annoying to another kind of annoying. They've got a bad stigma attached to them now and it'll take more than just them not being suckish to make people like them.

Not if they're just picking out individual characters like Cream the Rabbit as a bad part of the game, that's just grasping for straws.

While I'm not expecting them to like them for not sucking, I don't think standing around and cheering being pointless and annoying (and hardly doing jackshit on top of that) is anywhere near equatable to having shit gameplay, and I think people who do this should know better than that and not go "OMFG Stupid Cream is standing around and she a bad part of the game" or anything of the sort.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

The only playable characters that I really want are Sonic (a no brainer) and Tails, maybe Knuckles and Amy, but everyone else I don't really care about. Should Eggman be playable? Eh, I dunno, maybe as a DLC, but I'm more interested in seeing a fully playable Tails again. I quite liked his gameplay in SA1, so I hope they do something like that, minus the racing Sonic to the finish thing. And on that note, I'd like to see a local/online race mode, that would be really cool. A ranking attack mode like in Generations is likely to be present, but I'm hoping for the earlier more.

Oh, 3DS version? PleasenotbeDimpspleasenotbeDimpspleasenotbeDimps

I actually hope Sonic Tails and Knuckles to be the main playable characters, Amy and Eggman beeing in the story, and Amy, Metal Sonic and Shadow beeing playable in multiplayer mode.

The guardians could be related someway to Knuckles, who knows? Please SEGA, I want the echidna back for a major role. Now's the right time

Not if they're just picking out individual characters like Cream the Rabbit as a bad part of the game, that's just grasping for straws.

While I'm not expecting them to like them for not sucking, I don't think standing around and cheering being pointless and annoying is anywhere near equatable to having shit gameplay, and I think people who do this know better than that and not go "OMFG Stupid Cream is standing around and she a bad part of the game".

There's a bit of both involved, but if the past games already made people dislike characters such as Cream, her mere presence is going to bug them. You might say it's silly or unjust, but that is how these things worl. If Generations was Creams first appearance then people would be saying "Uh, okay what's the point of her? She just stands there and is a bit annoying". But as Heroes, Rush and even X have already given people a distaste for her they're not going to be thrilled when she's back. 

The only way the the wider cast is going to be redeemed will be through making people actually like them again through narrative and potentially gameplay. But it'll be a hard feat as SEGA have recieved much praise simply for these characters' absence.

The reason 2D sections entered Modern Sonic were because people were complaining about 3D, and now people want them gone. Same goes for Sonic's friends, wanted them gone, now want them back. :/

People complained about the 3D because it sucked. Running away from it, and padding the game with 2D, was never the right answer.

This is debatable seeing as how these same characters were completely unplayable in Generations and hardly did squat but cheer you on and talk about homing shots and the critics still complained about the characters simply for being around.

Largely because of their bad reputations and Generations not doing anything to make them any more likable. You're not going to change years of "these characters suck!" by having them stand around and do nothing.

• Thumbs Up 1

But they were largely inoffensive in Generations. I'm not expecting people to suddenly shift their minds because of that, but it's funny how them doing something so minor still largely upsets people compared to what they did in the past.

That's practically them making a mountain out of a molehill.

Edited by ChaosSupremeSonîc

So it's only because the characters other than Sonic were so poorly handled that people wanted Sonic alone.

Sonic didn't get the best treatment either and was also poorly handled along with the other characters. Sonic doesn't get as much flak for it cause he's the main character so people want everybody gone.

Edited by sonfan1984

Sonic didn't get the best treatment either and was also poorly handled along with the other characters. Sonic doesn't get as much flack for it cause he's the main character so people want everybody gone.

Sonic got the worst flack because everyone was basically saying that he and the franchise might as well die during the ShTH-Sonic 06 era. That's quite a lot of flack on its own, and that's before getting into the parts they wanted gone in order to "save" the series.

But they were largely inoffensive in Generations. I'm not expecting people to suddenly shift their minds because of that, but it's funny how them doing something so minor still largely upsets people compared to what they did in the past.

That's practically them making a mountain out of a molehill.

Blue Blood and Diogenes explain it perfectly well I think. It's inoffensive, but if the characters were new to the game they'd have been pointless, and in previous games they were seen as annoying, nothing is being done to redeem them. It's a mountain out of a molehill sure, but that's the nature of stigmas, they're not going to vanish over night, and calling them out for making a mountain out of a molehill isn't gonna change things either.

SEGA have to actively make an effort to get people to like these characters. It shouldn't be too hard, right?

If it is, sorry but that that says far more about SEGA's character writing ability than it does about the critics.

Sonic didn't get the best treatment either and was also poorly handled along with the other characters. Sonic doesn't get as much flack for it cause he's the main character so people want everybody gone.

Sonic got pretty good treatment, he was respected and didn't do anything the average player didn't want him to do.

Considering the amount of "Sonic needs to shut up and stop talking" criticism Sonic himself got over the past decade, the positive reception he got in Colours and Generations was amazing in comparison.

Edited by SuperLink
  • Thumbs Up 1

Dude...I know. I'm just pointing out how silly it is and how whether they were playable or not, people would complain about the characters being around.

I've been saying the same thing about making them better as long as anyone else, so I don't need a reminder. ;)

Modern Sonic isn't exactly exempt from criticism himself. Many still wanted him to shut up in Generations in favour of Classic Sonic.

Sonic got pretty good treatment, he was respected and didn't do anything the average player didn't want him to do.

It doesn't look like he got good treatment and was all that respected in Shadow and Sonic 06. That's was when we started to get Sonic solo games ever since

Aren't they still saying that Modern Sonic needs to shut up and that he started to suck ever since he got a voice?

so now that we have the confirmation of NEW gameplay...is it save to say that we're in an whole new era? that the unleashed era now officially is over?

so now that we have the confirmation of NEW gameplay...is it save to say that we're in an whole new era? that the unleashed era now officially is over?

Well, yeah. This is the new Modern era, I suppose. We got the Classic era, Dreamcast era, Modern era and Mod--

oh. Need a new name for the previous Modern era now.

uh

gimmi--unleaa--griffit--uuhhhhh--Boost era.

The Boost era. It signified the whole thing and has a nice ring to it.

The Boost era has officially ended. Bring on the new Modern era! :D

New friends, eh?

Curious what that could entail... though presumably just one-time friends as usually happens. It won't be much of a problem provided they aren't obnoxious like Chip, I suppose.

New enemies, as well... good to see SEGA's finally ditching the nostalgia angle. Badniks are cool to see remade in modern graphics but you need something new eventually.

Bring on the Egg Pawn / Motobug hybrids!

Make that three:

Honey the Cat

Honey_the_cat.png

She counts as an official character right?

No.

Honey-01.jpg

Because she's literally just a furry version of Honey from Fighting Vipers. The only reason she ever actually existed on StF at all was as a throwback to the engine it was based on, which also just so happened to be based on Fighting Vipers.

I really don't understand where people keep getting this notion. I mean fuck, she was dummied out entirely until the XBLA port fixed her up.

• Thumbs Up 2

And I'll never get the hatred people have for a character that was designed and planned as a Sonic character, even if it's based on a non-Sonic character. If Honey the Cat isn't a Sonic character, what is she, an asparagus?

Bring on the Egg Pawn / Motobug hybrids!

Despite them saying new enemies, I really would love to see this happen in particular just to carry on some of Colours' nostalgic charm and spice up those inevitable chase sequences. Those Motobug parts from Colours were brilliant, why not strap an Egg Pawn on top along with their old shield and lance from Heroes?

And I'll never get the hatred people have for a character that was designed and planned as a Sonic character, even if it's based on a non-Sonic character. If Honey the Cat isn't a Sonic character, what is she, an asparagus?

No, she's a Fighting Vipers cameo.

Even the article Kareem linked says this, why is this in doubt?

No, you're not getting me. Yes she's a Fighting Vipers cameo. But she's also an antropomorphic cat with Sonic proportions and Sonic design cues in a Sonic game. Why does one exclude the other? It's not as if she's literally the same model from Fighting Vipers, they made her fit the world. It's a Sonic character.

It doesn't look like he got good treatment and was all that respected in Shadow and Sonic 06. That's was when we started to get Sonic solo games ever since

No one got good treatment in those games, but he got solo games because he is the main protagonist after all, and they wanted to focus on seeing if they could make him good again.

Aren't they still saying that Modern Sonic needs to shut up and that he started to suck ever since he got a voice?

As far as I'm aware those criticisms have gotten genuinely less common in recent years.