Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

It's being developed by Dimps. Was anyone really expecting anything above the mediocrity tier from them?

Yes, actually. Many of us were, myself included. From the few gameplay videos we've seen, the 3DS version was actually shaping up pretty nicely.

And really, what was the main complaint? Difficult controls? Doesn't the Wii U have the same issue?

• Thumbs Up 4

He seemed OK with the main console version. The main complaint he had was that the 3DS version felt more slippery. He's still gonna get it. He just didn't like it as much as the Wii U version.

Edited by edvedd

Honestly guys, he said it's more slippery than Sonic Heroes and from what he showed, I'd say it's at least AS slippery...

I mean, that could technically cause a lot of problems to the gameplay and just... it's like one black dot on a white paper, ya know.

Honestly guys, he said it's more slippery than Sonic Heroes and from what he showed, I'd say it's at least AS slippery...

I mean, that could technically cause a lot of problems to the gameplay and just... it's like one black dot on a white paper, ya know.

I've seen other playthroughs with people having better control with the 3DS than he did.

I can't imagine trying to jump on a capsule as a snowball would be particularly easy.

True. Although it would be cool if he jumped onto the capsule and as it exploded, Sonic would burst out of the snowball and do a new victory pose.

Though I like the hilarious snowball victory pose we have now.

• Thumbs Up 1

Yeah, the snowball victory animation is a nice touch, but I have no idea why people are getting off on it so much.  It literally just jumps a few times.

Do we know How long he played  it for? I've heard that the controls take a while to get used to. But that after you get the hang of it, it's really good.

Edited by daman825

Don't worry about the controls guys, I've always handled well!

This time around, I've given up my car shoes for my platforming shoes! It's gonna be really fun!

More impressions: 

The blue blur has had a rocky ride over the years. However, his more recent titles have steadily improved cumulating in Sonic Generations in 2012, a game which had an emphasis on speed and nostalgia. So you can imagine the fan’s thoughts when they saw the more platform based gameplay of Sonic Lost World.

The most important thing you need to know it that the control scheme is actually quite clever. Sonic has three speeds, a light jog which allows you to be very precise with his jumps and platforming, his standard "figure of 8" run (done by holding down right trigger) which give less control on platforming but allows Sonic to free run over obstacles and finally the spin dash (done by holding down the left trigger) which makes Sonic go super-fast but in exchanged he loses a lot of his control and cannot free run. This makes Sonic more diverse than ever before and allows players to play the new levels how they want which is really fun.

This is very different from any Sonic game that has come before and this no bad thing. It has been said before but Sonic Lost World is pretty much Mario Galaxy sped up, and this works really well. The level designs in the demo were diverse and, more importantly, interesting to travel through. In the time we had to play the demo we barely scratched the surface of all the goodies and varying paths in the starting level alone.

This applies to both versions of the game as well. In recent years, Sonic titles on the 3DS have not been that up to par, however, we are happy to report that this Sonic 3DS game is just as good as its Wii U counterpart in terms of design and gameplay. In fact, I would go as far to say the control scheme is a tiny bit better on the 3DS version!

Even the wisps, making their glorious return from Sonic Colours, have been implemented well in this new 3D setting. The only real problem in the demo was that some of the wisp powers were rather difficult to activate and control (mostly due to the gamepad being on a wire) which can get frustrating in places when you need to use them to continue but even then the overall flow of the level was not really ruined.

So don’t worry, Sonic Lost World is looking to be a great addition to the series and I am adamant that it will become one of the bigger Sonic games ever and remembered in the years to come. If you have a Wii U we recommend that you check this title out. Sonic fans, (I assume you have already pre-ordered it by now) rest easy, this is not one Sonic game that will flop.

http://www.videogamesuncovered.com/news/preview/sonic-lost-world-wii-u-3ds-gamescom-preview.html#.UittvbXn85g

It’s a sad fact that the third dimension has rarely been kind to Sega’s flagship Rodent, burning optimistic skeptics and even fans alike for the last decade on more than one occasion. Sonic Team and Dimps have taken to radically redesigning the 3D Sonic formula with their latest efforts focusing on addressing all of the previous entries faults and delivering something completely new at the same time for the Blue blur to do. Sonic will now be barreling towards tubes and planetoids through with stage design that homages what we would have seen with Sonic Xtreme and liberally borrows from a certain plumber’s trip from space in what may finally be the lover letter Sega has long been hoping to deliver to those enjoy Sonic.

Staking their bets on that newfangled Nintendo box, the Wii U exclusive poises a lot of promise towards finally being the modern Sonic that Sonic Team got right and being a worthy asset to the Wii U camp all at once.

So that oh so common drill the moment a new Sonic game comes along that gets the stress tests and the check marks is the control—more importantly, the physics. It’s here where Lost Worlds immediately shines above and beyond its predecessors as these components have finally received the tweaks to the standard formula that have been long overdue.

Right away as you maneuver the fleet-footed hedgehog you’ll notice that he’s not all that fleet-footed—in order to run at top speed, the R Button will need to be held in order to accelerate Sonic, and the result is a refreshing when speedily running though obstacles and enemies no longer feels like a challenge against physics or a shit camera. Controls do present a challenge for veterans from the tweaks however, as the certain moves are mapped to other buttons—there were times I wanted to homing dash enemies and I ended up double jumping into them instead like an idiot; because the homing dash is mapped to a different button when you’re in the air.

Using the R button in contextual areas makes the blue dude perform certain Parkour tricks like jetting up trees or cascading along walls at a comfortable pace that plays out in a way where Sonic losing speed doesn’t hinder the speedy nature of the game, all while providing intuitive physics and control that fall in line in play.

Visually,  Lost World is one of the sharpest looking titles in the Wii U library, regardless of the 60 frames per second, the animation and play is the smoothest and most animated modern Sonic title of the bunch (not counting the 2D side-scrollers.) The Sonic stage design trope of variable routes are properly emulated within the various planetoids and accessing them impulsively in your run faithfully hearkens back to the Hedgehog’s glory days. Lost Worlds comes out in October of 2013, if you own a Wii U then I suggest you run to it, don’t walk.

http://www.presspauseradio.com/presspauseradio/2013/8/30/pax-prime-2013-the-sega-mini-omega-2013.html

Edit: That last preview also contains a Bayonetta preview too if anyones interested.

Edited by Balding Spider

How come in every preview, they always start with "Sonic have a rough couple of years" or something like that?

EDIT: Ninja'd XD

Wow... Two statements beginning with same "Sonic is on hard times" spiel.... I didn't think it was possible.

Time for a drinking game.

How come in every preview, they always start with "Sonic have a rough couple of years" or something like that?

Meh. I'm still not tired of it yet.

Because it's true?

It bothers me that they start off most articles with that, but I guess it really only gets me riled up when they say "Sonic hasn't been good since the Genesis days / has sucked since he went 3D". At least both articles got optimistic pretty quickly after that.

• Thumbs Up 2

I don't really see the problem with it.  Not everyone who reads these articles are big fans of Sonic like most of us are.  They might be unfamiliar with Sonic's history and the general quality of his games and saying "he hit a rough spot, but is getting better" is an quick and easy way to get people up to speed.

Edited by Nix

I've seen a video of someone playing the 3DS demo at E3, he commented that the control is "better than Generations'" and felt "more natural". He probably meant to say that turning in run mode is more responsive.

I think it's pretty clear that the series is still feeling the effects of those mistakes. There are still people who don't trust the series, regardless of the relative success of the boost games. And the series is still trying to find its footing in 3D. It's not wrong to acknowledge this.

Probably partially because journalists won't shut the fuck up about it.

• Thumbs Up 5