Awoo.

Sonic Lost World Announced

Carbo

I have faith in Sonic Team to make a good game. I don't have faith in them to not make stupid decisions along the way and/or make a great game though. 

Edited by Chaos Warp
  • Thumbs Up 2

The Sonic Review Cycle (applies to commercial journalism sites)

"I'm gonna negate my positive review of the last Sonic game, say that Sonic has had a rough 3D career before this game that I'm also gonna score positively, then spew the rough 3D track record crap again for the next game. Rinse, lather, repeat."

Edited by Auto
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm not going to expect them to make stupid decisions because over these past few games they haven't really been doing that.

I'm not going to expect them to make stupid decisions because over these past few games they haven't really been doing that.

Completely disregarding story in Generations? Over-reliance on block platforming and 2d in Colours (coming from a Colours fan BTW)? The (Arguably) whole new set of flaws that LW will come with?

Edited by Chaos Warp

I also have faith that this game will be great because it makes several noticeable improvements over games that I considered good in the first place.

• Thumbs Up 1

They haven't made any /stupid/ decisions after the storybook games, but they've certainly made risky decisions, like the boost, hallway linearity, 2D sections, etc.

Edited by Auto

Completely disregarding story in Generations?

Questionable, not flat out stupid by any means. 

It's not even the game's biggest flaw by far either.

Well this game actually seems to be fizing that - from what I can tell, it has cutscenes that actually advance the plot this time! I just hope this continues and I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing.

Questionable, not flat out stupid by any means. 

It's not even the game's biggest flaw by far either.

Well true but it is probably the biggest stupid decision considering the goldmine of potential they were sitting on. 

Well this game actually seems to be fizing that - from what I can tell, it has cutscenes that actually advance the plot this time! I just hope this continues and I'm not getting my hopes up for nothing.

You mean Sonic cutscenes were only filler before this game and didn't advance the plot before? If so, that's not the case at all.

The game looks pretty great so far, but my main concern at the moment are the Color Powers; at least in the Wii U version, since Sonic Team is dead-set on shoving the gamepad's gimmicks down our throats by not giving us alternate controllers to use, unlike Colors. I don't think they'll be as bad to control on the 3DS version, strangely enough; but then again, that version looks very slippery to control in general, so I'm worried about that, too.

Edited by Tomoki

Well true but it is probably the biggest stupid decision considering the goldmine of potential they were sitting on. 

The last thing that game needed was for them to focus on something that had nothing to do with putting more levels in. 

The game is about 4 hours long and the go to flaw is the story. I just don't understand that.

You mean Sonic cutscenes were only filler before this game and didn't advance the plot before? If so, that's not the case at all.

I was referring to Colours and Generations.

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst

A game being short isn't inherently a flaw. A shit story is always a flaw.

Generations is significantly shorter than even Colors. At this point, I'd say it's a pretty big flaw. 

It's funny how most people are willing to let Sonic Team off the hook on their current flaws just because they get a few things right.

Not saying everyone does this, or that their games aren't good despite that, but a flaw is a flaw.

The last thing that game needed was for them to focus on something that had nothing to do with putting more levels in. 

The game is about 4 hours long and the go to flaw is the story. I just don't understand that.

I never said it was the go-to flaw. I just said it was the stupidest decision. Not the biggest problem with the game, but the stupidest decision they made.  And besides, a game can be short and work wonders if it's really replayable. Sadly Generations is not replayable enough though. 

Also, this: 

A game being short isn't inherently a flaw. A shit story is always a flaw.

Edited by Chaos Warp

Generations is significantly shorter than even Colors. At this point, I'd say it's a pretty big flaw. 

Both games had shit stories, imo, but the biggest problem I have with the games are that they cost $50 for only 3-4 hours worth of content for the main game, and less than a week's worth of replay value.

Edited by Tomoki

The game looks pretty great so far, but my main concern at the moment are the Color Powers; at least in the Wii U version, since Sonic Team is dead-set on shoving the gamepad's gimmicks down our throats by not giving us alternate controllers to use, unlike Colors. I don't think they'll be as bad to control on the 3DS version, strangely enough; but then again, that version looks very slippery to control in general, so I'm worried about that, too.

I really like how most Color Powers in the 3DS version mostly control like Sonic, with the run button, circle pad and jump button. I don't mind having to use the gamepad to control them, but I'd easily prefer controlling them like Sonic.

• Thumbs Up 1

My experience was different, however. It took me longer to beat Generations than it did Colors. Even if it were noticeably shorter, I still can't count that as a universal flaw. Pricing, game design, and overall quality proceed to vary how much of a drag a short length is. However, there simply is no excuse nor equalizer for a game's existing story being bad, same as there is not excuse nor equalizer for a game's art direction or music to be bad.

Just because Gens had a bland and lackluster script, doesn't mean that it didn't add to the game's plot.

But it didn't, though. I skipped most of Colours's cutscenes and the only plot detail I actually missed out on was the arm stuck in the cannon. Everything else was mostly either jokes or exposition I could have guessed by myself anyway

And a game being short isn't always a flaw. Portal is a short game and is easily one of my favourite games of all time. If anything, the game being short stopped it from dragging on too long.

Of course, Portal wasn't sold at retail price

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst
  • Thumbs Up 2

But it didn't, though. I skipped most of Colours's cutscenes and the only plot detail I actually missed out on was the arm stuck in the cannon. Everything else was mostly either jokes or exposition I could have guessed by myself anyway

What about Sonic and Tails entering the amusement park, Eggman's plans to enslave the wisps and create a mind control device, or the corruption of the wisps?

And a game being short isn't always a flaw. Portal is a short game and is easily one of my favourite games of all time. Of course, Portal wasn't sold at retail price either

Pretty much. After the first 5 or 6 cutscenes, the story becomes irrelevant filler to the game until you get to Asteroid Coaster; because that's where the game actually remembered that there was supposed to be a plot other than Sonic and Tails spouting dumb jokes.

• Thumbs Up 1

I said most, not all. I liked Colours's charm, but really, there wasn't much story at all. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, I'm just saying that Lost World has more of a plot this time around and I like that.

edit: ^ yeah pretty much

Edited by Blitz 'n Burst